Be a Supporter!
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Gtlib Nov. 30th, 2012 @ 04:40 PM Reply

so i've started to develop my own library called GTLib. I've been working on this for a little while now, and have most of a first draft done. I'll go back and start optimizing after I know that I have a solid library.

the entire point of the lib is to make everything you're doing easier. Create an in-game right-click menu with one class, check and download a new version in-game with a single function call, manage multiple sounds with a few keystrokes; I tried to think of everything. It's open-source (found here, on GitHub), so feel free to browse around.

This isn't just my library, it includes useful libraries from all over the web, such as Away3D and TweenLite (why re-invent the wheel?)

so, my question is: What are some things you do that could be made easier? I'd like to put as much into this as possible, to cover as much as possible. What are things you think are useful or cool, but aren't easy to make or obtain?

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Gtlib Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 11:25 PM Reply

bump because it's a slow night and I really want to know if I missed anything

BBS Signature
PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Gtlib Dec. 2nd, 2012 @ 12:06 AM Reply

Examples are great. If you could make a few SWFs that showcase the main features and put them in the README.md, I am sure you would get much more interest. :)

BBS Signature
PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Gtlib Dec. 2nd, 2012 @ 12:07 AM Reply

Also you should be using much more comments if you plan to open source stuff. Doc all params etc.

BBS Signature
Sandremss128
Sandremss128
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Programmer
Response to Gtlib Dec. 2nd, 2012 @ 07:38 AM Reply

In my experience open source code is mostly used when the programmer that uses this library can't make it himself (think box2d nape, complex physics engines) or when the amount of time that goes into it isn't feasible to do it on his own, and even if he were to do it on its own it would yield worse results than the library in place.
We all like to write code, we don't like to read other people's code; so a library of things that simplifies the work that programmers usually do is less likely to be used, as programmers already know how to do this. Besides with good reuse of code this should already been taken care of. Make a library that does some impressive stuff that fewer programmers have thought about and it's more likely to be used.
Also without examples and good documentation few people are going to find out what your library does exactly and how to use it.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Gtlib Dec. 2nd, 2012 @ 02:59 PM Reply

At 12/2/12 12:06 AM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: Examples are great. If you could make a few SWFs that showcase the main features and put them in the README.md, I am sure you would get much more interest. :)
Also you should be using much more comments if you plan to open source stuff. Doc all params etc.

you're right, but i'll worry about that when i'm finished with the first draft. I started documenting some code, but then realized I needed to change a bunch of stuff so I stopped.

At 12/2/12 07:38 AM, Sandremss128 wrote: We all like to write code, we don't like to read other people's code; so a library of things that simplifies the work that programmers usually do is less likely to be used, as programmers already know how to do this. Besides with good reuse of code this should already been taken care of. Make a library that does some impressive stuff that fewer programmers have thought about and it's more likely to be used.

hmm, fair point. I've been thinking about adding more stuff that I like to consider a "speciality" (namely things to do with networking) like streaming video and audio though a P2P connection of some sort.
I'll need to think some more on things that I can contribute to the library that isn't available already. You think "physics engine" is out of the question? Haha :P

Also without examples and good documentation few people are going to find out what your library does exactly and how to use it.

i'll get to it, no worries. I've been thinking about that, as well ;)

BBS Signature