New Topic Respond to this Topic
Requuired
Requuired
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Gamer
Best RPG of all time Nov. 27th, 2012 @ 05:07 PM Reply

For me, I would say earthbound I love you earthbound you are my family *sniff sniff*.

WUB WUB WUBBB!

BBS Signature
Emlfuryoflion
Emlfuryoflion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Gamer
Response to Best RPG of all time Nov. 27th, 2012 @ 06:43 PM Reply

Tales of Symphonia.

Never again will I be in awe of a game in the way I was with Tales of Symphonia.

momijirabbit
momijirabbit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Best RPG of all time Nov. 27th, 2012 @ 08:06 PM Reply

Final Fantasy X-2

Second Best Game Ever Made.

I AM A ROBOT.
BEEP BOP
MAGGOTS.

BBS Signature
Chdonga
Chdonga
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to Best RPG of all time Nov. 27th, 2012 @ 08:10 PM Reply

I hope by Earthbound you mean Mother 3.

BBS Signature
Crashman
Crashman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Gamer
Response to Best RPG of all time Nov. 28th, 2012 @ 12:48 AM Reply

At 11/27/12 06:43 PM, Emlfuryoflion wrote: Tales of Symphonia.

Never again will I be in awe of a game in the way I was with Tales of Symphonia.

I love that one and Vesperia as well. So rich in story and gameplay.

Notable mentions; Earthbound and Lost Odyssey

XBL GT: SleepyB 408
I Xbox 360 Club I MLB Club I

BBS Signature
Mismo
Mismo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Best RPG of all time Nov. 28th, 2012 @ 04:07 AM Reply

Pokémon Yellow.

Heads or tails?

BBS Signature
pickpocket
pickpocket
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Best RPG of all time Nov. 28th, 2012 @ 04:42 AM Reply

Breath of Fire 3. The art, storyline and progression of the main character from child to adult was fantastic. It was also ridiculously fun building a village, fishing and collecting as many dragon genes as well to see how many dragon transformations I could find. Can't beat the mature themes therein, either (getting stabbed through the chest as a child - nice.)

Ihatedapatriots
Ihatedapatriots
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Programmer
Response to Best RPG of all time Nov. 28th, 2012 @ 11:36 AM Reply

At 11/28/12 04:42 AM, pickpocket wrote: Breath of Fire 3. The art, storyline and progression of the main character from child to adult was fantastic. It was also ridiculously fun building a village, fishing and collecting as many dragon genes as well to see how many dragon transformations I could find. Can't beat the mature themes therein, either (getting stabbed through the chest as a child - nice.)

Excellent choice. I would say Suikoden with Dragon Warrior 4 and FF6 being not far behind.

Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Best RPG of all time Nov. 28th, 2012 @ 04:58 PM Reply

Chrono Trigger. It has arguably the best, most richly realized cast of characters of any game in the genre, some of the most expressive pixel art I've ever seen, does crazy innovative things with sidequests and decision-making and multiple endings, and has a fun, comparatively fast-paced combat system. What's not to love?

Mother 3 and Pokemon Red/Blue are close behind. I could also potentially go to bat for Paper Mario or Golden Sun.

At 11/27/12 08:10 PM, Chdonga wrote: I hope by Earthbound you mean Mother 3.

Yeah, EarthBound is fantastic, but Mother 3 takes it to the next level. It's got a more interesting combat system and more visual flair, but most significantly it tells a more sophisticated, nuanced story. Also, EarthBound doesn't have magical transsexuals with five-o'-clock shadow and pretty dresses who live in a giant pink seashell.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Genius Party (various, 2007, Japan) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
Quinny
Quinny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Gamer
Response to Best RPG of all time Nov. 28th, 2012 @ 06:14 PM Reply

FFVII, seeing as it's the one everyone remembers the most. Without that being so popular the series probably would've remained unknown to us Westerners.

TEABAGGIN' AIN'T EASY

English Gents Club | 5th on PS3 Trophy Leaderboard | PSN: KillSwitch_Bob | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature
Urban-Champion
Urban-Champion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Best RPG of all time Nov. 28th, 2012 @ 07:00 PM Reply

At 11/27/12 05:07 PM, Requuired wrote: For me, I would say earthbound I love you earthbound you are my family *sniff sniff*.

I used to love the shit out of that game. It remains as a fond memory but I find no reason to replay the games in the series. They have great story lines and the characters are very likable in all of them ('cept EB Zero. Fug dat sheet.). It's a game that knows how to personally immerse players through it's story and charm, but the gameplay... Well, they'res better alternatives out there. I personally feel that the RPG element of earthbound falls flat when it comes to it's overworld gameplay. The fights aren't too impressive either, but that's not to say i got my fair share of enjoyment from the series.

Mother 3 tries to address these issues, and it does pretty good at it. The fights now have a combo system to give the player the feel of tactile feedback, which previous games lacked. Instead of having a chronological story, we now focused on multiple characters in multiple time periods, which added a level of immersion to the game and made you want to keep playing. And the story, which I didn't even think was bad in the previous games, is arguably the best storyline from any video game i have ever played ever. No game has been able to strike on such an emotional lever for me, let alone in a game intended for children...

Anyways, I've completely lost myself in a fuckfest of Earthbound related topics and arguments,

you're all doing a great job

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Best RPG of all time Nov. 28th, 2012 @ 07:43 PM Reply

That question is gonna take a lot of debate to answer and might end in a fist fight. I will agree though that EarthBound is the best. However my favorite goes to Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen.

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Best RPG of all time Nov. 28th, 2012 @ 09:32 PM Reply

It has to be Xenogears, which probably has the single best storyline in any game, as well as an amazing combat system for both mecha and on foot. It's no wonder why this is my personal favorite RPG, even though I am not a huge fan of the genre myself.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
Raab
Raab
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Movie Buff
Response to Best RPG of all time Nov. 29th, 2012 @ 08:40 AM Reply

Chrono Trigger

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 42
Programmer
Response to Best RPG of all time Nov. 29th, 2012 @ 09:20 AM Reply

Chrono trigger
FFVII
FFX
Mass Effect Series
Fallout
Legend of Dragoon

just add to the list guys.

Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Best RPG of all time Nov. 29th, 2012 @ 12:52 PM Reply

At 11/28/12 06:09 PM, Austerity wrote: Probably Final Fantasy VI.

Any answer that isn't this or Chrono Trigger is blasphemy.

There are countless other rpgs I would define as classic, even 10/10 games, but these two are in their own league man.

BBS Signature
kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Best RPG of all time Nov. 29th, 2012 @ 02:31 PM Reply

i have a few in my top 5, but the best RPG ive ever played is Dragon Age Origins, you have a good bunch of dialog, romance, companion reactions based on your actions and they being present when you do them. Dialog and storywise is by miles better than mass effect. Romancing a character takes time in DAO and you can change romances (not like in me games where you had to stick with the first girl you say "hi").
Also characters remember what you said in almost every situations, not like in ME2 when Mordin acted like i was against the genophage even when i agreed to it in every dialog.
The gameplay is fantastic, like a WoW where you control 4 character at the time. you could manually control companions and program their "combat tactics" very precisely.
The micro stories have their twists, but the general story is the overdone "a blight is taking over the world" thing, but the game is long enough so you wont finish it in a few days.
The DLCs are very disappointing, i had my hopes up for "Awakening" (largest dlc campaign), but you only had the least appealing of your old companions, no romance options,and not even a cameo of your romantic interest of the original game (i romanced leliana and only got a letter of her saying she was visiting i dont know what monastery).

Now, Dragon Age 2, they took the dialog part and replaced it with ME dialog system, a huge setback, you had less options and choices rarely mattered (though your companions still "reacted" to what you said while they being present, it was in much lesser scale, and even more, if they "hated" you, they only gained a different skill than if they liked you).
The characters were bland, and even more the females, where you only got a whore and a shy girl.
i loved so much when i got to kill that madafaker of fenris, god i hated that character so much.
Also Hawke.... other factor that ruined the game
1. a character with a name (not chosen) is always a con, thus it makes it harder to relate yourself to him
2. he had a history and a family which you couldnt choose
3. can't choose his race
4. i preferred when the main character didn't talk (while the rest do ofc)

other main factor of the game is the recycled scenarios (90% of the game are the same rooms with doors locked/unlocked in a different sequence).

but one of the worst things was how fucking fast years passed, i mean, you farted, poof, 2 years. i think that in the totality of the game it passes like 7 years or more, can't remember exactly, time in which i could only think "what is my DAO hero doing right now?"

and your choices in DAO had very little effect.

i really hope that DA-3 retakes DAO system and character, or at least starts a new character, but not Hawke

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Best RPG of all time Nov. 29th, 2012 @ 11:26 PM Reply

I hate RPG's. They're drawn out and boring, IMO. FF3/6....fuck it.

But the Mother series...not only do I like it, I LOVE it. If it can make me it through an RPG...it has be damn good.

Mother 3.

DorminEcho
DorminEcho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Best RPG of all time Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 06:11 PM Reply

Final Fantasy IX !!

DELUCA2400
DELUCA2400
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Best RPG of all time Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 06:35 PM Reply

I haven't had the pleasure of player Mother 3. Always heard good things though. Might have to bust out the old emulator for it. Anyway hear's my list

1. Super Mario RPG
2. Shenmue
3. Dragon Age Origins
4. Fallout 2
5. Castle of the Winds

Dysleksikk
Dysleksikk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Best RPG of all time Dec. 2nd, 2012 @ 06:46 AM Reply

That would obviously be Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. None could match the game play, rich story line and...
I'm just kidding that game was TERRIBLE! So in all seriousness my nomination would be Chrono Trigger. Loved it, the artwork was done by Akira Toriyama too, BONUS!

BBS Signature
Darkonius64
Darkonius64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Best RPG of all time Dec. 2nd, 2012 @ 09:39 AM Reply

At 12/2/12 06:46 AM, Dysleksikk wrote: That would obviously be Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. None could match the game play, rich story line and...
I'm just kidding that game was TERRIBLE! So in all seriousness my nomination would be Chrono Trigger. Loved it, the artwork was done by Akira Toriyama too, BONUS!

i agree, Sonic Chronicles was terrible, i got lucky that i didn't bought it, i saw the some let's plays and walktroughs

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Programmer
Response to Best RPG of all time Dec. 2nd, 2012 @ 02:02 PM Reply

At 11/28/12 04:07 AM, Mismo wrote: PokÃf©mon Yellow.

You rate the first generation Pokemon games above the second generation Pokemon games? Second generation felt like such a vast improvement over the original games.

I'm really not too sure what my favourite RPG is. There's too many that I haven't finished or haven't gotten around to playing yet. Games that I'd probably rank highly but I can't because like I say, I've not played them properly yet. As it currently stands, The Elder Scrolls games from Morrowind onwards are definitely up there with my all time favourites as if Fallout 3.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Ihatedapatriots
Ihatedapatriots
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Programmer
Response to Best RPG of all time Dec. 4th, 2012 @ 10:54 AM Reply

At 11/29/12 09:20 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: Chrono trigger
FFVII
FFX
Mass Effect Series
Fallout
Legend of Dragoon

just add to the list guys.

Everyone always forgets LoD. It was great.

Jester
Jester
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Best RPG of all time Dec. 4th, 2012 @ 01:38 PM Reply

At 11/28/12 01:44 AM, RightWingGamer wrote: My favorite overall is Mass Effect 2, but if I had to pick something traditional, then KOTOR is the obvious winner.

This.

argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Best RPG of all time Dec. 4th, 2012 @ 03:20 PM Reply

At 11/28/12 09:32 PM, orangebomb wrote: It has to be Xenogears, which probably has the single best storyline in any game, as well as an amazing combat system for both mecha and on foot. It's no wonder why this is my personal favorite RPG, even though I am not a huge fan of the genre myself.

Chrono Cross basically used it's combat and management system from XenoGears but it's kind of more forgiving.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 42
Programmer
Response to Best RPG of all time Dec. 4th, 2012 @ 07:14 PM Reply

At 12/4/12 10:54 AM, Ihatedapatriots wrote: Everyone always forgets LoD. It was great.

I knew I forgot one.

joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Best RPG of all time Dec. 5th, 2012 @ 12:32 AM Reply

Another vote for Dragon Warrior 4. Fucking epic.

Also Final Fantasy XII of course

Laughingbox
Laughingbox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Best RPG of all time Dec. 5th, 2012 @ 02:04 AM Reply

Since nobody's said it yet... Rogue Galaxy (PS2) is my personal favorite. I loved the story and characters personally, but I may be looking at this with a skewed, nostalgic eye.

Then again, it was one of the last console RPG games I've played. I also really enjoyed The World Ends With You, but it's a far shorter game.

Veritas est index sui et falsi. (Truth is the criterion of itself and the false.)
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero. (Sieze the day; trust little in tomorrow.)

IronicMaiden
IronicMaiden
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Best RPG of all time Dec. 6th, 2012 @ 05:10 PM Reply

My favorite would have to be the first Fallout game. I'd have to create a wall of text to explain why.

An above average number of people have below average intelligence.

BBS Signature