New Topic Respond to this Topic
DrFunkMonkey
DrFunkMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Chiptune help?! 2012-11-27 17:00:32 Reply

So I was looking to try and give chiptune a go, or at least try and incorporate it into my music in some form but have no idea what synths to use/download as it is all very new to me. Was hoping someone would have some advice for me, where to look, good places to start? I use cubase so something that works well with that would be great.

Wurfel-Waffles
Wurfel-Waffles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Programmer
Response to Chiptune help?! 2012-11-27 17:40:02 Reply

I think this list of VSTi/DX can help you.
http://woolyss.com/chipmusic-plugins.php

MWHAHA!!! VODKA!
NAC Hall of Fame

BBS Signature
DrFunkMonkey
DrFunkMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Chiptune help?! 2012-11-27 18:18:47 Reply

At 11/27/12 05:40 PM, Wurfel-Waffles wrote: I think this list of VSTi/DX can help you.
http://woolyss.com/chipmusic-plugins.php

All Right! This is awesome, many thanks

Biggyzoom
Biggyzoom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Chiptune help?! 2012-11-27 20:16:00 Reply

That was a pretty good list posted above. Dedicated software like Famitracker would probably get you the most authentic results but you might find learning it's interface a bit daunting. I personally have a preference for YMCK's Magical 8-bit, mostly because I use Mac/Logic Pro and there aren't nearly as many for Mac/Au as there are for Win/VST but that one allows me to just load it up the sounds and compose/arrange in the logic matrix. However that one you need to be careful with as it does nothing to prevent you from creating something not authentic (breaking the 3 note polyphony for example) so you need to do that yourself. Don't fall into the trap of making a song and then just replacing all your sounds with square waves.

spot1techno
spot1techno
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Chiptune help?! 2012-11-28 02:23:45 Reply

I like the magical 8 bit as well. :)

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Chiptune help?! 2012-11-28 05:57:59 Reply

Guys you should try Musagi. It's one of the best sounding/easiest to use out there.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
DrFunkMonkey
DrFunkMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Chiptune help?! 2012-11-28 10:36:09 Reply

At 11/27/12 08:16 PM, Biggyzoom wrote:

Don't fall into the trap of making a song and then just replacing all your sounds with square waves.

Thanks for the advice, trying to work out how some of these VSTs work, its pretty confusing stuff, but I'll try and keep the square waves to a minimum

Ectohelix
Ectohelix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Chiptune help?! 2012-11-28 13:29:07 Reply

Noichan.org
Great place for chiptune artists too.

Find me on: Facebook, Twitter, or Soundcloud.

Hikari
Hikari
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Chiptune help?! 2012-11-28 21:21:27 Reply

At 11/27/12 05:00 PM, DrFunkMonkey wrote: So I was looking to try and give chiptune a go, or at least try and incorporate it into my music in some form but have no idea what synths to use/download as it is all very new to me. Was hoping someone would have some advice for me, where to look, good places to start? I use cubase so something that works well with that would be great.

I am happy you asked about chiptune's. I can help you with any question you might have. Fist though, Ill set you up with some standard vst's.

Magic 8 Bit VST
Famisynth VST

I would suggest playing around with noise to try to get some drum sounds. But like I said, any question you might have.

midimachine
midimachine
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Chiptune help?! 2012-11-29 01:02:23 Reply

At 11/28/12 01:29 PM, Ectohelix wrote: Noichan.org
Great place for chiptune artists too.

+1, the noichan crew are all awesome people
lurking on chipmusic.org can be really beneficial too, just don't get too caught up in the meta-posts and drama :P

p.s. i am gay

DrFunkMonkey
DrFunkMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Chiptune help?! 2012-11-29 05:23:23 Reply

At 11/28/12 09:21 PM, Tabu112 wrote: I am happy you asked about chiptune's. I can help you with any question you might have. Fist though, Ill set you up with some standard vst's.

Magic 8 Bit VST
Famisynth VST

I would suggest playing around with noise to try to get some drum sounds. But like I said, any question you might have.

Wow! thanks guys :D