00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Sinnymon just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Favorite Food(from Another Country)

2,860 Views | 37 Replies

What's your favorite specific kind of food that has origins outside of the country that you call home?

Mine is Tom Yum Soup; I generally think Thai food is fucking awesome. It feels good in my tum tum folks....my tum tum yum yum's over some Tom Yum......SOUP.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Food(from Another Country) 2012-11-26 21:23:23

That there's a tough choice. I think I'll go with makizushi. You know, sushi rolls with rice and nori (seaweed). My favorites of that kind are the eel and the mackerel, but there are many kinds of rolls that are just fantastic.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Food(from Another Country) 2012-11-26 21:23:59

i like pizza, seafood, and many kinds of pasta

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Food(from Another Country) 2012-11-26 21:24:57

Reese's Peanut butter cups are ok.

Response to Favorite Food(from Another Country) 2012-11-26 21:27:13

Texas BBQ stuff, especially from pizza hut, damn that chicken / sauce / pizzas taste awesome but expensive.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Food(from Another Country) 2012-11-26 21:28:36

Well, considering I live in a country that acts as the world's mixing pot, I would say I have quite a few foreign foods I enjoy. I love Chinese foods especially, pasta and noodles too.

[Report Rule-Breaking Portal Submissions] - [Game & Movie Portal Moderator]

Response to Favorite Food(from Another Country) 2012-11-26 21:34:13

At 11/26/12 09:30 PM, Shauna wrote: Shasimi. My God raw fatty and lean tuna is to die for. Eel...salmon...man I'll take it all. But no raw squid...that's gross.

unagi is the shit, mang. I'm pretty sure it isn't raw, though, I think it's steamed or something.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Food(from Another Country) 2012-11-26 21:35:23

Goulash!

I've been making it quite a bit lately too as its easy to make quite a large amount and refrigerator/freeze and have again on a later date.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Food(from Another Country) 2012-11-26 21:35:57

Malaysian cheeseburger tastes so good.

Ecchi first, ask questions never.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Food(from Another Country) 2012-11-26 21:43:23

Hot Cakes

Nutella

Humus

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

Response to Favorite Food(from Another Country) 2012-11-26 21:44:37

McDonald's kimchi burger.

STEAM

"What I would and wouldn't do with your tight twink body is none of their business. But seriously, I would fucking destroy you." - Xenomit

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Food(from Another Country) 2012-11-26 22:15:46

At 11/26/12 09:37 PM, Shauna wrote: Yeah, eel is always cooked. Too much danger to eat it uncooked and always covered in teri sauce...my God *drool*

Have you tried "saba" (mackerel)? It's amazing.

Octopus and squid, though, in sushi form, are very bland and boring. They're fantastic when cooked, though. And red snapper, delicious when cooked, is just disgusting in sushi form. It's stringy and chewy, and the flavor is bad. way better cooked.

At 11/26/12 09:35 PM, Gagsy wrote: Goulash!

I would really like to finally try that. It's eastern European, right?

At 11/26/12 09:43 PM, kakalxlax wrote: Humus

I rather dislike chickpeas/garbanzos, yet I just loooove humus.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Food(from Another Country) 2012-11-26 22:23:25

now that I think about it I dont eat much foreign foods apart from pasta

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Food(from Another Country) 2012-11-26 22:23:52

At 11/26/12 10:15 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
I would really like to finally try that. It's eastern European, right?

Yes sir, its Hungarian originally.

I tend to make mine with sausage though, (which I think is more the German way) and beans along with onions and peppers. The great thing about goulash is that the content you can just leave to your own taste. Its more about the spices and paprika use that makes it a goulash.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Food(from Another Country) 2012-11-26 22:24:28

I am such an unapologetic novice when it comes to sushi; when presented the opportunity, I never know what to try. I'm going to refer back to this thread for ideas on where to start, thanks!

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Food(from Another Country) 2012-11-26 22:56:09

Please tell me pizza and pasta count

Response to Favorite Food(from Another Country) 2012-11-26 22:56:11

Hamburger. Grilled mashed meat is tasty.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Food(from Another Country) 2012-11-26 23:52:30

My favourite food is Italian food. That's it. American food is processed shit.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Food(from Another Country) 2012-11-27 00:03:33

At 11/27/12 12:02 AM, yurgenburgen wrote: While we're on the topic of food, today I have eaten three roast beef dinners.

May I ask why or how you came to eat three roast beef dinners today??

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Food(from Another Country) 2012-11-27 00:04:14

I just love sushi. It has to be one of the most unique and most tasteful foods in existence. In fact, this is my favorite way to make sushi.
How to Make Sushi

Response to Favorite Food(from Another Country) 2012-11-27 00:04:53

Tacos!

I love tacos, both hard and soft shelled. One thing I've always wanted to do is travel around the US (and probably other parts of the world) eating tacos from various, unique taco places/carts/vans/exc. and reviewing them.

The best taco I've had to date was from Senor Fish in Eagle Rock, California.

Response to Favorite Food(from Another Country) 2012-11-27 00:06:12

Id have to say Sushi,its always amazing

Hi

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Food(from Another Country) 2012-11-27 00:41:22

Pizza, hamburger, frankfurter, sandwich...to be honest, I think the only food I eat that doesn't come from another country is fortune cookies.

Response to Favorite Food(from Another Country) 2012-11-27 06:28:47

Sandwiches.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Food(from Another Country) 2012-11-27 14:29:05

St-Louis BBQ ( and probably all over the USA south ).. oh man that was good shit right there.

Sushi is pretty smart but I don't know how much the stuff we eat has to do with actual sushi. Didn't know they had so much spicy mayo and grilled chicken to deep fry back in japan.

Love me some butter chicken too.

But yeah, most "authentic" foreign food is not good because they come from poorer countries who have a harder time accessing actual good things like butter, refined sugars and chicken and they have to rely on beef penis and dried squid to sustain themselves ( or in some more extreme cases, vegetables). The "authentic" foods we tend to like from other places are generally not very ancient and mostly consist of fat / sugar / carbs / meat / spices... For instance, sushi, which was mentioned many times here... I bet most people like the more recent sushi creations to the actual authentic traditional raw / marinated fish forms.
For instance, the california roll, the most popular sushi in america, is a novelty for Japanese people ( http://voices.yahoo.com/the-california-roll-most-popular-sus hi-roll-in-437539.html ). In Japan, the raw fish nigiri sushi are vastly more common than all the different kinds of rolls we find here in America.

The same goes for "Chinese food" which is not really Chinese food so much as American food made by Chinese people. If you've never been to a good Chinatown, you don't know the horrors that Chinese people ACTUALLY eat. Holy shit. Dried pizza-flavoured anchovies anyone? YUM!

99.9% of the food you've never tried won't beat a good burger or a scoop of ice cream, basically. So don't feel too bad guys!

And remember the rule of thumb: If a new food doesn't contain sugar, meat or fat, it's probably shitty.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Food(from Another Country) 2012-11-27 19:37:37

At 11/27/12 01:30 AM, Shauna wrote: Octopus is terrible in both forms.

I love cooked octopus. I get canned octopus all the time. I like to make soup with it.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Food(from Another Country) 2012-11-27 21:39:17

Shepherd's pie or corned beef and cabbage, I can't decide.

Response to Favorite Food(from Another Country) 2012-11-28 09:21:08

Lebanese (Middle Eastern) food is AMAZING. Love my sushi and Italian as well.

TEABAGGIN' AIN'T EASY

English Gents Club | 5th on PS3 Trophy Leaderboard | PSN: KillSwitch_Bob | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Food(from Another Country) 2012-11-28 15:21:15

Indian food.

I have such a weakness to Indian food that I literally can't control myself when it's in front of me. I don't care if I'm hungry or full, I'll eat Indian food if you put it in front of me. The first time my family and I went out to an Indian food buffet, I wouldn't stop eating even though I was full and I almost threw up.

Response to Favorite Food(from Another Country) 2012-11-28 15:43:02

The Dutch kitchen happens to be very bland and not very diverse, so I eat a lot of food from foreign countries and it's very difficult to really pick a favourite. I love pizzas and pastas, but I also like rice and noodle dishes, shawarma and lahmacun, curries, whatever. It depends on what I'm in the mood for really, but I think I enjoy the Italian kitchen the most.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature