LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Make me a logo...thing? Nov. 24th, 2012 @ 06:14 PM

Hey all NG artists!

I have me a youtube channel (music channel), and for the sake of brevity, I'll just say I kinda need a logo....I have ideas, but I'm not the best visual artist, and I can't really execute what I have in my head, so thought I'd use some of the fine NG artists we have.

This project is not for pay or anything (sorry), but if you're interested anyway, PM me. I have ideas and a general outline of what I want (sort of), but I'd love input/collaboration of others in the NG community.

PM if interested and thanks a lot!!

Eridium
Eridium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Make me a logo...thing? Nov. 25th, 2012 @ 01:18 AM

Hey hey buddy, sure thing.

Here is your genuine, professional, HD, logo. You deserve it.

Make me a logo...thing?

BBS Signature
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Make me a logo...thing? Nov. 25th, 2012 @ 01:48 AM

At 11/25/12 01:18 AM, Eridium wrote: Here is your genuine, professional, HD, logo. You deserve it.

See, the thing about NG, is, it's a community of artists...

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Make me a logo...thing? Nov. 25th, 2012 @ 02:07 AM

This isn't specifically about you, but I'm curious.

What is it about the internet that causes people to feel entitled to ask strangers to just do things for them, for no compensation?

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
Eridium
Eridium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Make me a logo...thing? Nov. 25th, 2012 @ 05:12 AM

At 11/25/12 02:07 AM, Aigis wrote: This isn't specifically about you, but I'm curious.

What is it about the internet that causes people to feel entitled to ask strangers to just do things for them, for no compensation?

Yeah, he's got a good point.

You owe me 10 bucks for that logo that I made you.

I take mastercard or paypal.

Make me a logo...thing?

BBS Signature
Tomsan
Tomsan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Make me a logo...thing? Nov. 25th, 2012 @ 05:41 AM

At 11/25/12 02:07 AM, Aigis wrote: This isn't specifically about you, but I'm curious.

enough freebies are given in here. isnt it the beauty of internet!!!! if I ask for advice on a piece, and someone answers including sketches and stuff isnt that doing work for free? I understand there is discrepancy between the 2

personally i think its rather annoying that its very often about YT backgrounds. I dunno its a F background..

God invented evolution 'cause he couldn't do it all by himself! Awesome Tees!

BBS Signature
Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Make me a logo...thing? Nov. 25th, 2012 @ 09:11 AM

this is all because of the loss of respect of art as a craft. since art today is now shitscribbles made for funsies instead of something people take seriously, plebs think they are entitled to a piece of your lifetime for nothing in return but credit or thanks

hey if i make you this logo will you sit upside down for as many hours as it takes me to make it?

Thoughts in chaos...
Illustration thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1229930
Animation thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1332069

BBS Signature
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Make me a logo...thing? Nov. 25th, 2012 @ 12:50 PM

At 11/25/12 09:11 AM, Template88 wrote: this is all because of the loss of respect of art as a craft. since art today is now shitscribbles made for funsies instead of something people take seriously, plebs think they are entitled to a piece of your lifetime for nothing in return but credit or thanks

hey if i make you this logo will you sit upside down for as many hours as it takes me to make it?

A piece of your lifetime? Dude, it's ART. If you're okay whoring your art for money, that's YOUR personal choice.

I, and many artists on here actually (in the audio section that is) have no problem doing things for free, or to help out others, or as a collaborative effort.

The whole point of NG is, in my eyes, an artistic community, not a marketplace to sell your brony sketches.

If you're someone who requires payment for working with or doing something for someone, then this thread/request is CLEARLY not for you.

It's your art, and you have every right to do whatever the hell you want with it. I don't understand the motivation to take on some elitist attitude, and bash someone. If you aren't able to fulfill the request, or the request doe not meet the expectations or desire you have for YOUR own art, why bother posting in the thread?

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Make me a logo...thing? Nov. 25th, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

At 11/25/12 02:07 AM, Aigis wrote:

Because some people like creating because it's something they enjoy? Because some people view art as something to be shared?

I play music because I love doing it. I play on other people's stuff for free, because I love playing. People play on my stuff for free because they love playing.

Some people are just of the mindset that it's the art itself that matters, regardless of a paycheck, and that's what I'm looking for.

If you're creating art for money, that's fine and it's your right to do so, of course.

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Make me a logo...thing? Nov. 25th, 2012 @ 01:59 PM

At 11/25/12 12:50 PM, LemonCrush wrote: A piece of your lifetime? Dude, it's ART. If you're okay whoring your art for money, that's YOUR personal choice.

Why would you think doing art for money is 'whoring' yourself?

It's as much 'whoring' yourself as doing any other job for money is 'whoring' yourself.

"If you're okay with whoring your ability to process tax returns for money..."
"If you're okay with whoring your ability to give medical advice for money..."
"If you're okay with whoring your ability to flip burgers for money..."

People need money to live.

At 11/25/12 12:55 PM, LemonCrush wrote: Because some people like creating because it's something they enjoy? Because some people view art as something to be shared?

That wasn't what I was asking. I know why some people do things without pay.

I was wondering why people think they're entitled to ask that of strangers. Why they think that they're important enough that they can just ask strangers to give up their time and skill for their own personal profit endeavours.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Art Lover
Response to Make me a logo...thing? Nov. 25th, 2012 @ 03:10 PM

Aigis and Template are right about the issue itself, but I understand that you like to do audio for other users for free and expected a similar attitude here. There are people out there who would probably help you with your logo for free too. I think your opening post was polite and clear enough and that this doesn't need to turn into a huge argument. Interested users could just PM you.

Maybe you can help them out with some audio in exchange some day.

Good luck.

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Make me a logo...thing? Nov. 25th, 2012 @ 03:38 PM

At 11/25/12 01:48 AM, LemonCrush wrote:
At 11/25/12 01:18 AM, Eridium wrote: Here is your genuine, professional, HD, logo. You deserve it.
See, the thing about NG, is, it's a community of artists...

Okay, then let's see some of your art, hmm? If this is a community of artists, I am to reasonably expect that you should have some art of your own, correct? Well, let's see it.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Make me a logo...thing? Nov. 25th, 2012 @ 03:42 PM

At 11/25/12 03:38 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: Okay, then let's see some of your art, hmm? If this is a community of artists, I am to reasonably expect that you should have some art of your own, correct? Well, let's see it.

He's an audio artist. If people don't want to help him out, then stfu and don't post.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Make me a logo...thing? Nov. 25th, 2012 @ 03:43 PM

At 11/25/12 03:38 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: Okay, then let's see some of your art, hmm? If this is a community of artists, I am to reasonably expect that you should have some art of your own, correct? Well, let's see it.

So far I've uploaded 11 songs to NG, and will be uploading a few more in the coming weeks. I've also collaborated with a couple NG'ers (stuff yet to be released)... It's all there to download for anyone. For free. And I also am open to any collaboration for free as well...

So...yeah

DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Make me a logo...thing? Nov. 25th, 2012 @ 03:45 PM

At 11/25/12 12:50 PM, LemonCrush wrote: A piece of your lifetime? Dude, it's ART. If you're okay whoring your art for money, that's YOUR personal choice.

The whole point of NG is, in my eyes, an artistic community, not a marketplace to sell your brony sketches.

It's your art, and you have every right to do whatever the hell you want with it. I don't understand the motivation to take on some elitist attitude, and bash someone.

*ultimate facepalm on first two quoted points.*

Welp...Someone's going to get some major backlash. You see...If you work at a Burger King flipping burgers, does that make you a food flipping whore? No. It makes you an employee of Burger King. The same rule can be applied to art. The only place you can call someone a whore is actual prostitution. To use the notion elsewhere is completely disrespectful (save for men and women who really do sleep around a lot, especially with men or women who already have girlfriends or boyfriends or are married). That's like calling Barack Obama the nation's whore because he has to listen to the American people, or signs bills for Congress. That's like calling those girl scouts whores because they get paid money to deliver cookies.

The notion that anyone can be paid for hard work, only to be labeled a whore is completely wrong and disrespectful and YOU should be ashamed.

As for the last point, I COMPLETELY agree. There is absolutlely NO REASON to bash ANYONE for what they do with their art. The only thing you should be allowed to do is critique and provide feedback without coming across as disrespectful in the slightest manner.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Make me a logo...thing? Nov. 25th, 2012 @ 03:50 PM

At 11/25/12 01:59 PM, Aigis wrote: Why would you think doing art for money is 'whoring' yourself?

It's as much 'whoring' yourself as doing any other job for money is 'whoring' yourself.

"If you're okay with whoring your ability to process tax returns for money..."
"If you're okay with whoring your ability to give medical advice for money..."
"If you're okay with whoring your ability to flip burgers for money..."

People need money to live.

People are free to charge whatever they want for their art if they choose to. I don't see why that causes people to have a high horse mindset for people who exchange art for free.

BTW, art is not a practical skill, therefore cannot be really compared to or subject to the same economic totems as medicine, or services.

At 11/25/12 12:55 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
That wasn't what I was asking. I know why some people do things without pay.

I was wondering why people think they're entitled to ask that of strangers. Why they think that they're important enough that they can just ask strangers to give up their time and skill for their own personal profit endeavours.

I'm asking it of strangers because artists, traditionally in my experience, like to help each other out, and collaborate with others. I should ask you why it is somehow unacceptable to want or request collaboration with other artists for free...

BTW, I'm not asking others to give up time and skill for my profit endeavors. I make nothing from my youtube channel or my music in other places.

If I were making money on someone else's work, I could understand your beef, but that is not the case.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Make me a logo...thing? Nov. 25th, 2012 @ 03:55 PM

At 11/25/12 03:45 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:

It's your art, and you have every right to do whatever the hell you want with it. I don't understand the motivation to take on some elitist attitude, and bash someone.
*ultimate facepalm on first two quoted points.*

Welp...Someone's going to get some major backlash. You see...If you work at a Burger King flipping burgers, does that make you a food flipping whore? No. It makes you an employee of Burger King. The same rule can be applied to art. The only place you can call someone a whore is actual prostitution. To use the notion elsewhere is completely disrespectful (save for men and women who really do sleep around a lot, especially with men or women who already have girlfriends or boyfriends or are married). That's like calling Barack Obama the nation's whore because he has to listen to the American people, or signs bills for Congress. That's like calling those girl scouts whores because they get paid money to deliver cookies.

Flipping burgers is a service, and therefore, should be paid for it, as it moves the economy along, and provides lubricant to the cogs of the economy. Art is not a necessary good or service, hence why it is not really subject to the same supply/demand economic law.

Art is a product of your mind, and is not a necessity to an economy.

lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Make me a logo...thing? Nov. 25th, 2012 @ 04:03 PM

He's a musician, it's right there on his user page. Don't be a dick.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Make me a logo...thing? Nov. 25th, 2012 @ 04:11 PM

Because these same strangers are usually enthralled to get attention and recognition and feel as thought its better than sitting on your ass and watching the day go by in slow motion.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
Breaktroll
Breaktroll
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Make me a logo...thing? Nov. 25th, 2012 @ 04:30 PM

At 11/25/12 03:55 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
Flipping burgers is a service, and therefore, should be paid for it, as it moves the economy along, and provides lubricant to the cogs of the economy. Art is not a necessary good or service, hence why it is not really subject to the same supply/demand economic law.

Art is a product of your mind, and is not a necessity to an economy.

Burgers aren't needed for people to live. They can find other food. But it'd be a dreary life for the people who do crave such things.
Just like that life would be dreary if there was nothing artistic in the slightest in the world.
Also, do you realise that being able to design things (such as websites, architecture, concepts of various objects) are definitely needed to actually be able to sell something? With no regard toward esthetics, you wouldn't sell much, whatever you're trying to sell.
Since art is product of our mind, it appeals to other minds, and thus can break the tie between choosing one product over the other.
You're just trying to make up excuses for us to do charity work. And saying you do it yourself is nice and all, but you can't expect everyone to do the same.

Try not being a bitch for once, huh?

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Make me a logo...thing? Nov. 25th, 2012 @ 04:46 PM

How big a logo do you want and what do you want it to be?
If it's just your name and some image, I could probably smash something together.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Make me a logo...thing? Nov. 25th, 2012 @ 04:52 PM

At 11/25/12 04:30 PM, Breaktroll wrote: You're just trying to make up excuses for us to do charity work. And saying you do it yourself is nice and all, but you can't expect everyone to do the same.

I'm not asking for a logo to try to sell something.

Ugh....listen, many artists, myself included, give away their art for free. If you aren't one of them fair enough. The thread was not aimed at you.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Make me a logo...thing? Nov. 25th, 2012 @ 05:53 PM

Request has been fulfilled, thread can now be locked.

Make me a logo...thing?

Otto
Otto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Make me a logo...thing? Nov. 25th, 2012 @ 07:29 PM

Guys, this was really embarrassing. It's okay to call people out on asking for free work if they're being a dick, but seeing as this guy wasn't, there was no reason to be dickish.

Sorry Lemon, this is just a build up of aggression that was on a hair trigger and you accidentally set it off. Hopefully you'll get something good out of here.

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature
Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Art Lover
Response to Make me a logo...thing? Nov. 26th, 2012 @ 12:41 AM

So is this resolved? I like what you did, Jonny.

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Make me a logo...thing? Nov. 26th, 2012 @ 01:06 AM

I agree with Otto.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
Breaktroll
Breaktroll
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Make me a logo...thing? Nov. 26th, 2012 @ 04:31 AM

At 11/25/12 07:29 PM, Otto wrote: Guys, this was really embarrassing. It's okay to call people out on asking for free work if they're being a dick, but seeing as this guy wasn't, there was no reason to be dickish.

Sorry Lemon, this is just a build up of aggression that was on a hair trigger and you accidentally set it off. Hopefully you'll get something good out of here.

It's not that he asks for free stuff that irks me. I've seen it enough on here that I've come accustomed to it.
It's that he claims that artist are of no value to the economy that irks me.

Try not being a bitch for once, huh?

BBS Signature