New Topic Respond to this Topic
Stupor
Stupor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Audio Secret Santa 2013 2012-11-24 00:11:16 Reply

The light, airy crunch of newly fallen snow under your thick winter boots.

The comforting snap and crackle of chestnuts roasting over an open fire.

And the guiltless exhilaration of realizing that it's time for the fourth annual Newgrounds Audio Secret Santa.

And if all these emotions are leaving you confused, allow me to explain what this is exactly. If you've ever participated in a Secret Santa with your friends or family then you know the general drill: Everybody gets assigned a secret person to get a present for. On Christmas Day everybody sits around and has a gay old time sharing the presents that they bought and receiving their own, silently tucking receipts into their back pocket.

The Audio Secret Santa works a bit like that, except instead of half-assed drugstore gag gifts, you guys will be making music for your recipients. Each person will say their favorite genres and instruments and other various musical tastes, and you will use that info to craft his/her dream song. Best part is, somebody will be making your dream song at the same time! So it's really a win-win situation for everyone.

Here are the three previous years' Secret Santas:
NGASS 2010
NGASS 2011
NGASS 2012

Sound interesting? The post right below this one explains what to do, step by step, in detail.

Sometimes, it would rain men. "Hallelujah!", we would cry. Thousands were killed.

Stupor
Stupor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Audio Secret Santa 2013 2012-11-24 00:12:19 Reply

HOW IT WORKS

Here's the run-down if all goes smoothly:

What you're reading right now is the Sign-Up Thread. Post in this thread with a big, bold, clear message that you are joining, so there's no confusion. Then list a few things you like in a song. Bleepy chiptunes? Intense guitar riffs? Creepy death polka dubstep moombahton? This is very important, so the person making your gift knows exactly what you like.
When the sign-up period is over, I will put all of the names in a random sequence generator and arrange them into a giant chain.

(For example, if three people join, Person A will do Person B, Person B will do Person C, and Person C will do Person A.)

Then, using that list, I will PM all of you and tell you who you are making a gift for. I'll tell you what the person likes in a song, and you will get cracking on an audio masterpiece that fits the description.
When you're done, you will all host your files online and send the links back to me; I'll keep them in a folder.
On Christmas Day, you'll see a nice thread here in the forums where I will have all presents laid out nicely for you to claim. It will look something like this:

Person A: link (made by Person C)
Person B: link (made by Person A)
Person C: link (made by Person B)

Everybody will enjoy their presents and have a great Christmas!

Here are all of the dates involved: (Subject To Change!!)
-- Dec. 1: End of sign-up period. Shortly after that, you'll get the PM with your giftee. (I may extend this date.)
-- Dec. 23: SONGS DUE. Host them online and PM the link to me. Don't miss this date!
-- Dec. 25: Christmas day, everyone goes to pick up their presents!

There is no TL;DR in this thread. If you wish to participate, please read this entire post. This activity is very dependent on you and your ability to carry out the steps according to the dates listed above.

One last thing. Remember how I said to host your songs on a hosting site and PM it to me? I am not joking when I say that. Do not put your songs on the Audio Portal. Let's think about this for a minute. This is called -Secret- Santa, right? So if you post your songs on the Portal for all to see, before Christmas, doesn't that completely ruin the point of the whole thing?

Good file-sending sites include:
Speedyshare
Mediafire
Dropbox
-or-
NG Dumping Grounds (I believe this might actually be the easiest option, but you must compress your song into a .zip file first)

Okay, that's all of it. Remember, if you die in the NG Audio Secret Santa, you die for real.

Sometimes, it would rain men. "Hallelujah!", we would cry. Thousands were killed.

ChimeraNoise
ChimeraNoise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Audio Secret Santa 2013 2012-11-24 06:46:02 Reply

I had a lot of fun doing this last year!

I'M IN

I enjoy progressive house, progressive trance, cinematic orchestral tracks.
Beautiful, memorable melodies. Strong emotional expression.

If all else fails, pirate metal.

BBS Signature
Zuckyshow
Zuckyshow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Secret Santa 2013 2012-11-24 12:36:30 Reply

Here we go again!
I'm In

I enjoy songs that sound like Muse (Example Album: Origin of Symmetry) or Queen. I enjoy electric guitars, cool piano solos, and minor keys. I DO NOT want it to be death metal or emo.

DivoFST
DivoFST
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Audio Secret Santa 2013 2012-11-24 13:40:41 Reply

This looks fun!
Im IN!
I like something that is Psychedelic, Rock, Progressive, Dark, Sad...and i would like guitar and voice to be used :D

No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow... Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature
samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Audio Secret Santa 2013 2012-11-24 13:58:56 Reply

I'm doin' it!

Try to tell a story or at least express an emotional quality! Any genre you wish, but I would prefer if you only use the sounds of an orchestra.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
LyingPink
LyingPink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Audio Secret Santa 2013 2012-11-24 15:13:37 Reply

I'm in. Why not?
(No guarantee of amazing quality, however.)

I'd like... er... er... Trip-hop. Or something classical with a fairly simple, non-bombastic feel.

I ate all your bees.

krssvr
krssvr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to Audio Secret Santa 2013 2012-11-24 15:42:06 Reply

I'm In Again

This is always fun, I like Hip-Hop with more complex organic percussion or darkstep/DnB i also like industrial and gabber. Although whatever someone might want to make is cool as long as its brooding and atmospheric.

"I want to care but I just... don't" -Me Need somewhere to host audio instantly?

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Audio Secret Santa 2013 2012-11-24 17:34:29 Reply

I'm in.

I like liquid drum n bass, ambient, nu jazz (jazz with electronic) and anything in between those genres.

lel

RiverK
RiverK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Voice Actor
Response to Audio Secret Santa 2013 2012-11-24 20:40:31 Reply

Hey, this sounds like fun!

I like anything from jazz/funk or good ol' Sinatra swing, to modern electro-orchestral Harry Gregson-Williams film scores, to dark, sleepy Biosphere ambience.

I don't have much taste for metal, punk, techno, pop, rap or... anything I guess normal people listen to nowadays.

SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Audio Secret Santa 2013 2012-11-24 22:37:27 Reply

I'm in!

I would like a lullaby version of the creators favorite Christmas Carol/Holiday Song

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Audio Secret Santa 2013 2012-11-25 03:11:14 Reply

Aw I wish I could take part, but committing to something else would be suicide for me right now... too much work to do.

However, having taken part in these Secret Santa's twice in previous years, I highly recommend whoever's reading this to give it a shot. These are fun.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Audio Secret Santa 2013 2012-11-25 03:39:57 Reply

Ooooh! Sounds like fun.
I am totally in.

I like listening to liquid DnB (and plain ol' DnB), dubstep, trance, ska punk, and chiptune-y music. Basically anything that doesn't sound like it has been bit-crushed/distorted all the way to Hell.
Ambient-sy/Atmospheric feelings are welcome.

Stupor
Stupor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Audio Secret Santa 2013 2012-11-26 18:28:39 Reply

Cool, we're at a modest number of people already. Let's make this the biggest Secret Santa yet.

Returning participants, you guys are awesome! Keep spreading the word!

headphoamz
headphoamz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Audio Secret Santa 2013 2012-11-26 18:44:40 Reply

I'M IN!

Any music that's classical-feeling. Also, 8bit trip-hop, ragtime, rockabilly, hard blues. I love interesting chord progressions and ANY use of a harp.

SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Musician
Response to Audio Secret Santa 2013 2012-11-26 19:52:21 Reply

I'm in too. I'd like a song with a fairy tale or fantasy feeling. It doesn't matter to me what instruments or genre. Or else chip-tune. If neither of these things are your style, just do what you're best at, and surprise me.

BBS Signature
camoshark
camoshark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Musician
Response to Audio Secret Santa 2013 2012-11-26 22:06:13 Reply

Alright, alright, I'll join, get off my back!

I'm into anything jazz related, with an affection for prog-jazz and ethno-jazz. Or anything ethnic, especially East European, Middle Eastern and South American.

I'm open to most genres, but Electronica is completely out of my comfort zone, so unless it's Nu-Jazz, please avoid.

Lich
Lich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Musician
Response to Audio Secret Santa 2013 2012-11-27 15:14:15 Reply

Count me in!

I'm a big sucker for stompy, hard-hitting Industrial (Aggrotech/EBM being my kind of area), but I do enjoy electronic-based tracks with lots and lots of atmosphere.

While I do enjoy the vast majority of Electronic genres and I do love Metal as well (grew up listening to Black Metal), I am not a fan of Hip-Hop. Everything else is fair game.

| Music | News | Favorites | - Audio Destruction, Evolving One Track At A Time!

BBS Signature
dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Secret Santa 2013 2012-11-27 15:49:57 Reply

I'm in, classical.

What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Secret Santa 2013 2012-11-27 15:57:58 Reply

At 11/27/12 03:49 PM, dem0lecule wrote: I'm in, classical.

Crap, forgot to add.

I want a sad, moving and emotional classical piece. I don't mind what approach and style you use. E.g something like Sorrow and Calamity.

What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
Wurfel-Waffles
Wurfel-Waffles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Programmer
Response to Audio Secret Santa 2013 2012-11-27 17:44:49 Reply

At 11/27/12 03:57 PM, dem0lecule wrote:
At 11/27/12 03:49 PM, dem0lecule wrote: I'm in, classical.
Crap, forgot to add.

Isn't you a picky guy? Alright, I am in. I would like to listen to anything that is chilling and has Christmas spirits.

MWHAHA!!! VODKA! NAC Hall of Fame

BBS Signature
wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Audio Secret Santa 2013 2012-11-28 08:46:24 Reply

I AM IN, again!

Hurra!

This year, I'm in the mood for chiptunes, darker drum & bass, good old techno with 303, 808 and 909 joy or industrial. If you are truly awesome, you could also combine everything. ;D

SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Audio Secret Santa 2013 2012-11-28 09:50:01 Reply

Here is a little gif to get us in the mood for this

Audio Secret Santa 2013

wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Audio Secret Santa 2013 2012-11-28 10:53:14 Reply

At 11/28/12 09:50 AM, SineRider wrote: Here is a little gif to get us in the mood for this

Oh yes, feels like christmas! Rarely have I seen such a jolly santa!

Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Audio Secret Santa 2013 2012-11-28 11:52:28 Reply

Just give me a song with some complex drum patterns and some slick piano. That's all.

Also also, I JUST recently put my previous secret santa track on soundcloud. Guy I made it for never responded. Guess he hated it >:C

I'm looking at you InvisibleObserver...

Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Audio Secret Santa 2013 2012-11-28 12:39:39 Reply

At 11/26/12 09:51 PM, Lasse wrote: im in

i want a 9-13 minute psychedelic oddysey spanning multiple genres that reaches many emotional highs and lows whilst still staying grounded and having a common reoccuring motif of some sort, have it end on a crescendo

^ I think this request is a little to simple, could you make it more complicated? I'd hate to have to make your song and be finished within 10 minutes. :<

eatmeatleet
eatmeatleet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Audio Secret Santa 2013 2012-11-28 15:49:34 Reply

I want a song that focuses on drums (nope, I am not looking for any of that tribal or orchestral/bongo bullshit ). Acoustic/EDM /DNB drumkits or breaks. I also'd like to hear some slap bass. Good luck

BBS Signature
Jernemies
Jernemies
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Audio Secret Santa 2013 2012-11-28 16:22:14 Reply

Definitely in.

Practically anything, but ATM especially fond on
Jazz/funk/blues/etc.
Orchestral
Metal

Stupor
Stupor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Audio Secret Santa 2013 2012-11-29 20:40:18 Reply

At 11/28/12 09:50 AM, SineRider wrote: Here is a little gif to get us in the mood for this

Beautiful :'O

We're up to 20 people!

Question: Should I extend the sign-up period? That'll mean more people sign up, but at the expense of a week or so of song-making time.

Every NGASS I run, I change around the important dates to experiment with different amounts of time. The honest truth is that different lengths of time work for different people. Some people wait until they see the sign-up thread twenty times over before they actually sign-up, and others sign up in the first hour. Some people have complained in the past that three weeks wasn't enough time to polish a song, while others whipped theirs up in a few minutes.

Any suggestions are appreciated. :)

Adam-Beilgard
Adam-Beilgard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Musician
Response to Audio Secret Santa 2013 2012-11-30 00:18:06 Reply

Sure, why not?

I like well-constructed music. Form is more impressive than chops to me. Examples: Tool, Ben Folds Five, Dave Matthews Band (not to say they don't have chops).

Right now, I'm feeling light jazz, light rock or folk music. Nothing overtly electronic-y, or too heavy. If you're primarily EDM and you get this, then...I dunno...trance?

...the four right chords can make me cry Some mellow jazz

BBS Signature