Junkster
Junkster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Rotoscoping opinions 2012-11-23 21:07:02 Reply

This is a re post since i posted it in the wrong sub forum sorry about that

Is rotoscoping like tracing in the way that if you rotoscope you wont learn anything?
I believe that you don't learn anything if you trace a picture, I guess it could be different for animators though.
What is the majorities thought? and you're own opinion
Thanks in advance for any help/answers

KhanhCPham
KhanhCPham
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to Rotoscoping opinions 2012-11-23 21:19:15 Reply

At 11/23/12 09:07 PM, Junkster wrote: This is a re post since i posted it in the wrong sub forum sorry about that

Is rotoscoping like tracing in the way that if you rotoscope you wont learn anything?
I believe that you don't learn anything if you trace a picture, I guess it could be different for animators though.

I dont prefer rotoscoping because it looks like its constantly changing shape like a shape-shifting clay. I do like how fluid rotoscoping looks though. To me learning how to control solid shapes is more important because it gives the viewer direction on where object are placed but of course you have to design the art to allow the viewer to know the object's direction. Everyone has there own method but rotoscoping isnt for me.

Currently doing short rough animations here http://khanhcpham.deviantart.com/

Emrox
Emrox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to Rotoscoping opinions 2012-11-23 21:54:41 Reply

At 11/23/12 09:07 PM, Junkster wrote: Is rotoscoping like tracing in the way that if you rotoscope you wont learn anything?

I think the issue with rotoscoping is that you're now bound to super real-to-life art and motion, when something with more exaggeration can actually create a more fluid animation. There are a lot of animation techniques that would be impossible to replicate in live action, such as breaking joints, smearing quick motion, and anticipating external action.

BBS Signature
KaDoYuu
KaDoYuu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Animator
Response to Rotoscoping opinions 2012-11-24 14:43:58 Reply

I thought rotoscoping was essentially tracing. There is something -if not much- to be learned, everytime you create something.
I am strongly against the use of rotoscoping a/o tracing for any of my personal work. The reason being that I am not using my own knowledge of anatomy & movement when I do it. (of course, one could just as easily apply this argument to the use of parody not coming from your own imagination but the use someone else' creation, which I condone in most cases. But I digress... |D) My work falls somewhere between realistic and exaggerated because of applying realistic shading & motion to less-than-realistic characters. The end result winds up looking rotoscoped, but still gives the freedom of skewering the anatomy further and allowing the subjects to move as exaggerated as necessary.

For this -among other reasons- I am just fine if other artists choose to rotoscope.
It really works for some films: Disney's Pocohontas, Snow White, and especially Alice in Wonderland (although there is a marked difference between how the realistic and non-realistic characters move!) It leaves me, as the viewer wondering how it would have turned out if the motion hadn't been traced, which I guess is a general reason for why so many people frown upon it.

"Trolls are people who long ago gave up the will to live worthwhile lives, and now dedicate themselves to tormenting others, in attempts to drag victims down to their level."

PinkSkull
PinkSkull
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Response to Rotoscoping opinions 2012-11-25 20:55:57 Reply

I guess that if you really observe when rotoscoping, you can get a basic idea on how things move when trying to really animate, but at the end I find rotoscoping just a tool when you need to get a certain look, and not really a way of learning animation, since for animation you must exaggerate, and you can't really do that by only rotoscoping.