Be a Supporter!

Final bosses which fail to be epic

  • 1,937 Views
  • 53 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Member since: Sep. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Final bosses which fail to be epic Nov. 23rd, 2012 @ 06:34 PM Reply

Note only if they try to be, not if the boss just plain isn't overdone.

So final bosses in games tend to be very big events as the years have gone past growing more and more grand and awe inspired when made well, and for want of a better word, epic. Take Jubileus as a prime example where despite having some repetitiveness comes off as simply amazing and well worth the position of last boss.

But which games try to emulate such feats, making bosses in similar ways to such successful ones but in the end failing to deliver, but at the same time being clear that it did fail and not that they simply didn't try to make such a thing.

I can't think of too many myself, which was obviously why I made this thread to interest me, but there are a few I could point out.
The first being Deathwing in World of Warcraft, which sounded amazing to start with, a multiple fight boss each with multiple phases which made it sound like it would truly be an RPG style final boss. However what resulted was only 2 fights, the first of which was riding on his back plying up armour, the second of which was destroying his malforming body in a mealstrom before he could destroy the world. It SOUNDED great, but in action was just an incredibly repetitive series of fights which all the while seemed like it should have been amazing but just wasn't, I personally enjoyed the final boss but that is due to me loving repetitive things.

The second would be The Dark Sovereign in Heroes of Might and Magic 5. The game itself was very enjoyable and the final level looked to be incredibly fun and interesting, you were given all the main heroes from each campaign (save for the dead or otherwise unavailable ones) and each came with a HUGE army, all under your control and a quick march from the final boss. Sadly all it resulted in was facing against 3 bosses in a row which all had summoned units, which in this game disappear after a fight and will also disappear if all the actual units a hero owns are killed where no matter how many summoned things you have they will go and you will lose / win. So effectively to begin with this already destroyed any great feeling that existed in killing the huge armies of the final level since you were fighting against only fake units. This was further amplified by the worst thing of all, the fact you needed to fight all 3 final bosses with all 4 heroes in a row, not together in a good way, but in a row. So you had 12 fights and after each hero won theirs the boss instantly came back with absolutely no damage to them where they just start summoning in more dudes as if you did NOTHING to them. After this happening 12 times it pretty much left me feeling unsatisfied at the end, added to the stereotypical and obvious cliffhanger ending.

And then I ran out of memories of games with such bosses in them, so now it is your turn to entertain me. Do it.


When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Member since: Feb. 23, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Final bosses which fail to be epic Nov. 23rd, 2012 @ 07:03 PM Reply

Perhaps not the best example, but the one that comes to mind is Necron from Final Fantasy IX. The main reason that it failed to be truly epic is because there was just no build-up to the fight whatsoever. He's had no role in the plot up until then and just popped out of nowhere to kick your ass.

Also, Mehrunes Dagon from The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. I don't know if he counts as a final boss though, because you don't actually fight him. But the thing is that the creators could've turned that into an awesome final battle and for some reason they decided to end the game with a cinematic sequence instead. I know you CAN in fact kill him if you want, but clearly you were not supposed to.


[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 12 July 2014)

BBS Signature
SmartyPants
SmartyPants
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Reader
Response to Final bosses which fail to be epic Nov. 23rd, 2012 @ 07:56 PM Reply

Andross from Starfox Adventures. There was no build up to him whatsoever. It felt as though they threw Andross in there for no good reason. The build up was for General Scales and they killed him off with a cutscene. Throughout the game you just feel motivated to kill the guy, even at the end they make it seem epic by making you walk into a room, door closes, and a barrier blocks the door indicating there is one enemy to defeat who is Scales. You get ready to fight him, then all of a sudden nope, it's andross. Disappointing


Stretch those glutes, Flitter!
"You are a generally happy and carefree person." - Sectus
"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Final bosses which fail to be epic Nov. 23rd, 2012 @ 08:17 PM Reply

Fable 2.

ultimate anticlimax right there.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Member since: May. 12, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Final bosses which fail to be epic Nov. 23rd, 2012 @ 10:35 PM Reply

The Elite Four in Pokemon Diamond. All it takes is one blow of whatever their pokemon are weak to, and bing bam BOOM! Victory.


SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
LDAF
LDAF
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 26
Gamer
Response to Final bosses which fail to be epic Nov. 23rd, 2012 @ 11:01 PM Reply

I know this might seem like a weird example that's going back, but Mario vs. DK on the GBA. It just felt sort of lackluster, in my opinion. I don't even quite know what I was expecting...


Are you MAN enough to click this?!

BBS Signature
Ketzelkab
Ketzelkab
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Final bosses which fail to be epic Nov. 23rd, 2012 @ 11:38 PM Reply

I would have to say the final boss fight in Bioshock was ultimately disappointing.. And what's funny is, despite that, it still remains one of my favorite games this generation in terms of everything that preceded the boss fight. The storytelling was beautiful, the twist was well executed, and the game-play was good. But then somehow it felt like it just dropped all of that greatness for a generic boss battle against a super bad dude.


Twitter | Soundcloud | Follow me?
Let's stalk each other on the interwebs!

SmartyPants
SmartyPants
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Reader
Response to Final bosses which fail to be epic Nov. 24th, 2012 @ 12:20 AM Reply

At 11/23/12 11:59 PM, Travis wrote: Yu Yevon...

I can't believe I forgot about this guy. Well, at least your right about that.

Colonel Autumn from Fallout 3 sucked

Liberty Prime is basically escorting you to the Jefferson Memorial while tearing the enclave apart. He destroys their shield blocking the memorial and then you rush inside with your ally killing all the enclave opposition and making it to the purification chamber. There you confront Autumn and fight him, but he goes down in no time at all. Pretty pathetic considering he was the final boss and how awesome it was watching Liberty Prime kick ass. At least Legate Lanius from Fallout New Vegas put up a better fight


Stretch those glutes, Flitter!
"You are a generally happy and carefree person." - Sectus
"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

BBS Signature
DarkBark007
DarkBark007
  • Member since: Nov. 23, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Audiophile
Response to Final bosses which fail to be epic Nov. 24th, 2012 @ 01:11 AM Reply

Darksiders 2's final boss sucked all kinds of ass. The characters spend the entire game talking about how the Corruption is such an unstoppable, all-consuming force, and when you finally fight Absalom, he turns out to be a total bitch.


"What is a man but the sum of his memories? We are the stories we live. The tales we tell ourselves."

metalgearray
metalgearray
  • Member since: Jan. 24, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Final bosses which fail to be epic Nov. 24th, 2012 @ 01:24 AM Reply

Satan from Castlevania Lords of Shadow

Seriously for being the source of ALL EVIL he really sucks as a final boss, he gets pawnt in less than a minute if you use ultimate shadow and ultumate light, he will flinch ALWAYS he gets hit by that, and by then your both magics refill quickly.


Fuck sigs

Warforger
Warforger
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Final bosses which fail to be epic Nov. 24th, 2012 @ 01:36 AM Reply

The final boss from Deus Ex HR. Not as much disappointing as much as it is "um wtf is going on?". I'm going to guess spoiling this isn't that big of a deal, but it's supposed to be a security system, but it's apparently powered by 3 women who you apparently have to kill but it's not made clear who these women are, why you have to kill them or more importantly WHY THEY'RE EVEN THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE. There's also alot of moaning by the 3 women as well as the final boss herself throughout the fight. On top of this the most dangerous thing in the room are fucking turrets, the last 3 boss fights at least were unique in the game this was just turrets and then waves of enemies coming at you. This of course was followed up by lackluster endings of just a montage with Adam Jensen narrating. I wasn't angry because I didn't give a shit about how it ended because I lost investment in the story when I got stuck in the 3rd boss fight, but this boss fight was just, what the hell were they thinking?


"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.
" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature
SnakeSkull
SnakeSkull
  • Member since: Jul. 17, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Artist
Response to Final bosses which fail to be epic Nov. 24th, 2012 @ 02:13 AM Reply

The final boss in Dead Space.

Considering the great build up experienced throughout the entire game, and just the way that this monolith looked, I was quite disappointed in the actual battle.

Essentially the whole battle was just, "shoot the yellow parts".

Besides that, I think Dead Space was a wonderful game.


Barev dzez.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Member since: Feb. 23, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Final bosses which fail to be epic Nov. 24th, 2012 @ 06:37 AM Reply

At 11/23/12 07:56 PM, imasmartass wrote: Andross from Starfox Adventures. There was no build up to him whatsoever. It felt as though they threw Andross in there for no good reason. The build up was for General Scales and they killed him off with a cutscene. Throughout the game you just feel motivated to kill the guy, even at the end they make it seem epic by making you walk into a room, door closes, and a barrier blocks the door indicating there is one enemy to defeat who is Scales. You get ready to fight him, then all of a sudden nope, it's andross. Disappointing

Oh yeah, I remember that. Good example.

They did kind of the same thing in Twilight Princess where they came up with this new villain (Zant) but then the guy who was really pulling the strings turned out to be Ganondorf yet again. At least you actually had to fight Zant though.


[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 12 July 2014)

BBS Signature
weasleman
weasleman
  • Member since: Jan. 6, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 52
Blank Slate
Response to Final bosses which fail to be epic Nov. 24th, 2012 @ 07:59 AM Reply

Gears of war 2. The lambent brumak looked so bad ass and all you do is point your hammer of dawn and shoot. you dont even have to aim it that much because of how big it is. It was just hold down the trigger for a few seconds and wait for the ending.


my sig has fighters in it bitches

BBS Signature
Neon-Bard
Neon-Bard
  • Member since: Aug. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Final bosses which fail to be epic Nov. 24th, 2012 @ 03:01 PM Reply

I won't mention the final boss for plot reasons, but the final battle of 'Tales of the Abyss' felt really ridiculous. That's just my opinion though.


If you have a moment, check out some of my work:
[Music here on Newgrounds] [Soundcloud]

BBS Signature
SmartyPants
SmartyPants
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Reader
Response to Final bosses which fail to be epic Nov. 24th, 2012 @ 03:13 PM Reply

At 11/24/12 06:37 AM, Auz wrote: They did kind of the same thing in Twilight Princess where they came up with this new villain (Zant) but then the guy who was really pulling the strings turned out to be Ganondorf yet again. At least you actually had to fight Zant though.

They made Zant too silly during the boss fight. I expected something cool considering how badass he looked when you first saw him


Stretch those glutes, Flitter!
"You are a generally happy and carefree person." - Sectus
"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

BBS Signature
TacoMySalad
TacoMySalad
  • Member since: Feb. 11, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Audiophile
Response to Final bosses which fail to be epic Nov. 25th, 2012 @ 05:46 AM Reply

At 11/23/12 11:59 PM, Travis wrote: Yu Yevon...

Build up that Yu Yevon is supposed to be "God" throughout the entire game for it to be an automatic win is a middle finger to fans.

Understandable that Jecht was really the "final boss" but after the huge buildup to this god that controls the world and sin it's just a huge let down.

A fair amount of the Final Fantasy Final Bosses are let downs...
In VII, although the battle had fantastic music, an an interesting Final Boss in Safer Sephiroth , at the end of the day it's just TOO easy.

Also Dr. Wily in Megaman 4. For once in the series it was beginng to look like there was another antagonist besides Wily (Dr. Kossak), and after beating 8 robot masters and making your way through a boss castle, you discover that no, it's in fact Dr. Wily...again...and even worse you have to go through another castle just to get to him...


Sin is honoring desire over what is right

Squidbit
Squidbit
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Animator
Response to Final bosses which fail to be epic Nov. 25th, 2012 @ 06:50 AM Reply

I don't think they were actually trying to make a real final boss fight, but the ending of RAGE. I didn't even realize I had beaten the game until the credits started rolling. I was just like "Cool killed those guys. Wait that's it? What?"
The ending just really snuck up on me.

ZJ
ZJ
  • Member since: Jul. 5, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Final bosses which fail to be epic Nov. 25th, 2012 @ 07:41 AM Reply

I found the Bowser fight in Super Mario Galaxy 2 to be disappointing. It was cool how they tried going for the little Mario vs. Gigantic Bowser speeding through space, but it was gimmicky and wasn't that much different from the other Bowser battles. Plus it ended in a way that was weaker than the first Super Mario Galaxy.


Sig by FB - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, & Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo.com & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Boss
Boss
  • Member since: Apr. 19, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Final bosses which fail to be epic Nov. 25th, 2012 @ 12:26 PM Reply

3d fallout games final bosses neither o them was very incradible


I'm an instigator

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Final bosses which fail to be epic Nov. 25th, 2012 @ 10:10 PM Reply

Makrov from Ace Combat: Assault Horizon

He was nothing more than another fighter jet, only he turned a bit more


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
I'm bringing back profile porn, so go look at it and fap and stuff

BBS Signature
omega88x
omega88x
  • Member since: Jun. 26, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Final bosses which fail to be epic Nov. 25th, 2012 @ 11:52 PM Reply

the final boss from splatterhouse. seriously you don't even technically fight it, it just sends enemies when your defending your girlfriend. the only interaction with it is through quick time events. the only thing I liked about the boss is that (SPOILER) you were the cause of it being summoned.

kmau
kmau
  • Member since: Sep. 23, 2009
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Animator
Response to Final bosses which fail to be epic Nov. 26th, 2012 @ 07:05 AM Reply

At 11/25/12 12:26 PM, Boss wrote: 3d fallout games final bosses neither o them was very incradible

I agree, gamebryo kinda crippled the possibilities.
Also the final boss from Fallout 3: Broken Steel.. oh wait.


BBS Signature
ZeroWinger
ZeroWinger
  • Member since: Feb. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Gamer
Response to Final bosses which fail to be epic Nov. 26th, 2012 @ 08:00 AM Reply

The final boss of Resident Evil 6 (Leon's chapter)
It keep coming back, only bigger, even more ugly, and waaaay to easy.


Gamers Unite!

kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Member since: Jun. 2, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Final bosses which fail to be epic Nov. 26th, 2012 @ 10:07 AM Reply

Yevon from FFX, its a nice move that it takes all aeons from you, but you literally cant loose against him (because your characters are automatically ressed)
Though many people consider Jeckt as the real final boss of the game.


Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

ZeroWinger
ZeroWinger
  • Member since: Feb. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Gamer
Response to Final bosses which fail to be epic Nov. 26th, 2012 @ 11:05 AM Reply

At 11/26/12 10:07 AM, kakalxlax wrote: Yevon from FFX, its a nice move that it takes all aeons from you, but you literally cant loose against him (because your characters are automatically ressed)
Though many people consider Jeckt as the real final boss of the game.

That's just because Jecht was waaaaay more epic and harder then Yevon.
Everyone loves him cuz he let's tidus cry like a little baby lolol


Gamers Unite!

kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Member since: Jun. 2, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Final bosses which fail to be epic Nov. 26th, 2012 @ 11:59 AM Reply

At 11/26/12 11:05 AM, ZeroWinger wrote:
At 11/26/12 10:07 AM, kakalxlax wrote: Yevon from FFX, its a nice move that it takes all aeons from you, but you literally cant loose against him (because your characters are automatically ressed)
Though many people consider Jeckt as the real final boss of the game.
That's just because Jecht was waaaaay more epic and harder then Yevon.
Everyone loves him cuz he let's tidus cry like a little baby lolol

the only way to "loose" yevon's fight is by running out of attacks (by him healing more than the damage you make), but then yevon is the only boss (or almost) who can be affected by that curse that damages him when he tries to heal, what makes the fight insanely easy


Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

SoulMaster71
SoulMaster71
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Movie Buff
Response to Final bosses which fail to be epic Nov. 27th, 2012 @ 03:20 AM Reply

At 11/24/12 03:13 PM, SmartyPants wrote:
At 11/24/12 06:37 AM, Auz wrote: They did kind of the same thing in Twilight Princess where they came up with this new villain (Zant) but then the guy who was really pulling the strings turned out to be Ganondorf yet again. At least you actually had to fight Zant though.
They made Zant too silly during the boss fight. I expected something cool considering how badass he looked when you first saw him

That's true, but his fight was pretty fun, made up of sections from the earlier bosses and what not. Andross, however, was a final boss that actually played like a Star Fox game when the genre had for the most part been an action-adventure game more like Zelda, which pissed me off. And while I can understand being disappointed by the Ganonjacking in Twilight Princess, at least it actually told you earlier on that Ganondorf was behind Zant, as opposed to building Zant up the whole game and having it be all like "Nope! It's Ganon!" at the last second like Star Fox Adventures did with Scales and Andross. Seriously, Star Fox Adventures was just one misstep after another.

GodOfVideoGames
GodOfVideoGames
  • Member since: Feb. 26, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Game Developer
Response to Final bosses which fail to be epic Nov. 27th, 2012 @ 03:49 AM Reply

Mary from Silent Hill 2 was a pretty lame final boss.

You get hyped up from killing two pyramid heads in a dark, scary room and then you make your way up the stairs to fight your dead wife on a giant, well lit roof. What a real buzzkill. I know Silent Hill bosses are usually quite easy and suppose to be symbolic to the character's sins and all that jazz but still.

MacDonaldFin
MacDonaldFin
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Animator
Response to Final bosses which fail to be epic Nov. 27th, 2012 @ 12:38 PM Reply

Titan Joker from Batman Arkham Asylum remains the one of the most repetitive and anti-climatic final bosses I've ever seen.