New Topic Respond to this Topic
vannila-guerilla
vannila-guerilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Do commercials work? Nov. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:53 PM Reply

Has anyone felt swayed by a commercial? I don't think anyone even watches them outside the SuperBowl.

Be Billy's FriendlBe Billy's Followerl Wii U name: Billy_Martin

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Do commercials work? Nov. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:56 PM Reply

At 11/22/12 07:53 PM, vannila-guerilla wrote: Has anyone felt swayed by a commercial? I don't think anyone even watches them outside the SuperBowl.

only for stupid people

lel

TjStiches
TjStiches
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Do commercials work? Nov. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:03 PM Reply

subliminal messaging. If you're hungry and see a commercial for food or some shit, you're going to crave that.

vannila-guerilla
vannila-guerilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to Do commercials work? Nov. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:07 PM Reply

At 11/22/12 08:03 PM, TjStiches wrote: subliminal messaging. If you're hungry and see a commercial for food or some shit, you're going to crave that.

That was proven to be an urban legend, actually. Subliminal messages don't work.

Even with that it isn't a guarantee that if someone got hungry or something it doesn't mean they will get the product advertised.

chipotleaway
chipotleaway
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Do commercials work? Nov. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:17 PM Reply

I feel as though advertising works on deeper, psychological level that we aren't really aware of.

I am a vagina cleaner. My Steam
In world god make every thing. Therefore God can't deid. -calvinmark

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Do commercials work? Nov. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:18 PM Reply

"Oh my, sonic told me to come in and fill my gut with liquid sugar, I guess I have to"

TAB
You should play this game. I get stuff if you do.
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping

mothballs
mothballs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Game Developer
Response to Do commercials work? Nov. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:21 PM Reply

Not for me. I've been trained at a very young age to completely ignore commercials at all costs, as they are almost always a scam.

Mizzjuicyflava
Mizzjuicyflava
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Reader
Response to Do commercials work? Nov. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:24 PM Reply

Maybe, when I was a kid.

HEY BOO!!!

BBS Signature
TjStiches
TjStiches
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Do commercials work? Nov. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:26 PM Reply

At 11/22/12 08:07 PM, vannila-guerilla wrote:
At 11/22/12 08:03 PM, TjStiches wrote:
Even with that it isn't a guarantee that if someone got hungry or something it doesn't mean they will get the product advertised.

you post commercials of food during breakfast lunch and dinner of fast food and what not, people will get the food. Why do you think so much people are fat

BizzarroPMP
BizzarroPMP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Do commercials work? Nov. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:27 PM Reply

They work if you like the product already. Or if you like a certain product, an informative and persuasive commercial can make you want to try their brand.

For example, you like McDonalds, you're hungry, McDonalds commercial for a deal/promotion comes on, "hey sounds like a good idea"

Or you like Ajax dish soap, and a dawn commercial explains why they give you a better deal than Ajax, "well i should try it out and see if i get my money's worth"

So yes, they can work.

Zeppelyn: Since when does the bladder control the "poo poo"?
convict357: Um, you mean you f*ck chickens, turkeys are male chickens.

BBS Signature
vannila-guerilla
vannila-guerilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to Do commercials work? Nov. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:30 PM Reply

At 11/22/12 08:26 PM, TjStiches wrote:
you post commercials of food during breakfast lunch and dinner of fast food and what not, people will get the food. Why do you think so much people are fat

Uhm, no. People go to these places because there is so many of them. Very rarely does anyone see a commercial then go out the door and go to the place just advertised. Actually, I have never seen that happen.

slipstrike
slipstrike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Do commercials work? Nov. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:33 PM Reply

If you're asking if I've ever spent money on something as the result of a commercial, the answer is no.
If you're asking if commercials have pointlessly wasted hours of my time minute by minute, the answer is yes.

Why have I not gotten an ad-blocker yet?
notYert
notYert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Melancholy
Response to Do commercials work? Nov. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:34 PM Reply

you all think that the commercials don't effect you and that you ignore them but you don't. the commercials and media are subtlety brainwashing you and you don't even realize it

BBS Signature
TjStiches
TjStiches
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Do commercials work? Nov. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:39 PM Reply

At 11/22/12 08:30 PM, vannila-guerilla wrote:
At 11/22/12 08:26 PM, TjStiches wrote:

Uhm, no. People go to these places because there is so many of them. Very rarely does anyone see a commercial then go out the door and go to the place just advertised. Actually, I have never seen that happen.

i'm not saying on the spot. i'm saying which would you rather go to a fast food joint that has been advertising a new sandwich in there commercials or a different joint that you really see on t.v

SmartyPants
SmartyPants
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Reader
Response to Do commercials work? Nov. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:45 PM Reply

I find commercials a huge waste of my time. I don't care about your goddamn soft toilet paper, put my show back on!

Stretch those glutes, Flitter!
"You are a generally happy and carefree person." - Sectus
"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

BBS Signature
Magical-Zorse
Magical-Zorse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to Do commercials work? Nov. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:37 PM Reply

The only commercial that ever made me want to go out and buy the product was the dos equis commercials, but I've still never had it.

BBS Signature
Nor
Nor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader
Response to Do commercials work? Nov. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:42 PM Reply

Not usually, I have what I want to buy planned out.
I usually don't buy the latest stuff anyways.
I hate it when people see the iphone(x) came out they Immediately go and buy it

いないいないばあ

BBS Signature
k6ka
k6ka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Do commercials work? Nov. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:54 PM Reply

I've literally criticized every commercial I see on TV with "Lies!" "You made it all up" "You suck at this!" "What a cheesy commercial" "This ad is so low budgeted!". I've never felt moved by them in any way or form.

SpaceWhale
SpaceWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Do commercials work? Nov. 22nd, 2012 @ 10:00 PM Reply

Commercials aren't about making you go out and buy food, or a car, or ordering a service, or anything; they're about getting a name in your head. If you see a commercial for McDonald's, you won't want to go out and buy some instantly (or maybe you will!); rather, you're gonna remember the commercial (if it's good), and think back to it later and then want to eat it. That's the point.

Can you feel it mister Krabs?

BBS Signature
satanbrain
satanbrain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Do commercials work? Nov. 22nd, 2012 @ 10:46 PM Reply

Several advertisements affected me negatively. None positively.

(הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים אָמַר קֹהֶלֶת, הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים הַכֹּל הָבֶל. דּוֹר הֹלֵךְ וְדוֹר בָּא, וְהָאָרֶץ לְעוֹלָם עֹמָדֶת. (קהלת א ג, ה

BBS Signature
Boss
Boss
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Do commercials work? Nov. 22nd, 2012 @ 11:19 PM Reply

nope commercials do nto work that is why the commercial companies have no money and theiyre puting their comercshals on tv dUDE

I'm an instigator

BBS Signature
rsetienne
rsetienne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Animator
Response to Do commercials work? Nov. 23rd, 2012 @ 05:02 AM Reply

They work, i think it is like that one song that you heard on the radio ( or somewhere else) and you don't care for it, but you suddenly find yourself humming it a little after without noticing.

Washing* yea i can't spell too

Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Do commercials work? Nov. 23rd, 2012 @ 05:17 AM Reply

It certainly works, you're just not the target demographic, which happens to be "easily swayed".

Yeah okay, that's pretty fucking spiteful. Advertising works on a "Hierarchy of effects model" which is as follows:

1. Awareness
2. Knowledge
3. Liking
4. Preference
5. Conviction
6. Purchase

It undeniably works to the first two steps on everyone. Liking, well that's up to the competency of the advertiser, and the previous exposure to the product by the consumer. Thing is, you can't suddenly make someone want something. You have to capitalize on previously existing demand; if someone doesn't want a mattress or a rug, then an advertisement isn't going to change their minds.

Children already want toys, badly, so that's why toy advertising "works so well" on them. I don't know who the fuck wants a Snuggie, but there's obviously a market for that too.

Just because you've never seen an advertisement that's swayed you does not mean you're some fucking kind of special snowflake, a sentient human being with their eyes open in a horde of sheeple. Just means that they're not selling anything that appeals to you.

momijirabbit
momijirabbit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Do commercials work? Nov. 23rd, 2012 @ 07:29 AM Reply

No. unless it's for ice cream...

I AM A ROBOT.
BEEP BOP
MAGGOTS.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Movie Buff
Response to Do commercials work? Nov. 23rd, 2012 @ 07:30 AM Reply

I think subconsciously you do pick things up from commercials, whether you like it or not. And when I see a commercial for something that I do actually need I will probably check it out.

I have the feeling ads don't work as well on the internet though. I mean seriously, is there anyone below the age of 65 who actually still intendedly clicks on an ad these days? Is there anyone who actually watches the ads in front of videos without trying to skip or block or ignore in any other way?

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 15 March 2014)

BBS Signature
sayomgwtf
sayomgwtf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Gamer
Response to Do commercials work? Nov. 23rd, 2012 @ 10:51 AM Reply

Superbowl commercials are like Christmas time for Marketing suit monkeys. Due to over a 100 million people turn in to watch the Superbowl, it is INSANE how high the spots go for - "even up to 30 second spots during Super Bowl XLVI are being sold for as much as $3.5 million"

But outside the Superbowl it depends on time schedules, like for example the most expensive air time for commercials is prime time because it's usually when the latest and popular shows are on (allegedly, the ones with the most viewers) and we're talking about 2k - 5k, it really depends on the show or network.

Keep in mind advertising is not only about sales, it's also about showing and positioning a brand too. So even if you don't feel like you're the main target to feel motivated to do a purchase, the fact you'd hate the commercial enough to talk about it or that you'd remember the name of the company at all is good enough for them.

littlegonkyboy
littlegonkyboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Do commercials work? Nov. 23rd, 2012 @ 11:56 AM Reply

At 11/22/12 09:42 PM, NightOwlRoost wrote: Not usually, I have what I want to buy planned out.
I usually don't buy the latest stuff anyways.

:I hate it when people see the iphone(x) came out they Immediately go and buy it
me too.
all people at day one for iphone5:
"guuhhhh, i'm gonna buy an iphone5 because it has more memory and costs 300$ more"

Signature made by illicit, thank you!

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to Do commercials work? Nov. 23rd, 2012 @ 12:10 PM Reply

Never. Especially these days where they just try to be funny and hardly advertise their product. Ads are the biggest nuisance ever created.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
NeutralObjections
NeutralObjections
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Voice Actor
Response to Do commercials work? Nov. 23rd, 2012 @ 12:33 PM Reply

You're never "swayed" on the spot. You think the media advertisers out there don't know that people hate commercials?

You're not going to watch one Orbitz commercial, and say, "OH MAN WHAT I DEAL IM GOING TO GO ON A VACATION RIGHT NOW."

But the after the 14th time of watching, and you have to travel from California to New York for your sister's wedding, and you need the cheapest, and fastest way to get there you might consider Orbitz, and if they by chance have a good deal, you'll buy it. Maybe.

It's all about reaching a feasible area in advertising. You're not trying to get the entire TV watching public to buy a single product.

ifureadthisdie
ifureadthisdie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to Do commercials work? Nov. 23rd, 2012 @ 12:41 PM Reply

It's a subconscious thing. It wont make you run out and buy it, but on a deeper level something got embedded in you.
So a fast food commercial wont make you run out and buy it. Even if you're hungry while looking at it. Thing is, when you're outside, and you've got to choose what you eat. You see many options but the one you saw on TV is gonna spark in your brain the most because you're either most familiar with it (seeing it so often on TV) or the commercials actually got you to crave it when you're hungry and you know it's available.

The guy below me is gay

BBS Signature