New Topic Respond to this Topic
Tomsan
Tomsan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
mars discovery > religion 2012-11-21 11:06:22 Reply

So Curiosity supposedly found something that will hit the history books, yet what it is is not yet been put public. People obviously speculate that they have found life, or fossils of life. That would be awesome, but for me not really a life changing experience. I already believe that there is life outside earth in whatever form, but the discovery would be a nice addition to this believe.

however I am very curious as to how this would affect religious people. Old fashion religion was very much centered around the earth it being the most precious creation of god. There is some mentioning though that can be related to aliens (forgive me for not looking it up, something with giants from the sky), but in all there seems to be a consensus that life was only created on earth.

If Mars contains or contained life (bacteria fossils eukaryotes) obviously the numbers that are used to predict the amount planets of life in the universe are going to result in: a lot.

personally I dont think religious people will feel any form of pressure, and they will definitely not abandon their faith en masse, but I do wonder how they will give the information a place. I think the bible, koran leave room for these discoveries, BUT I am not to sure if they leave room for alien intelligence. So an alien bacteria, no big deal probably, but what if we discover (not likely anytime soon) an alien civilization? one that also has some form of religion totally different from ours? How will this fit in their paradigm?

The upcoming discovery is only a small step towards this. I as an atheist am intrigued by the though processes of religious folks. I understand their need to fill up voids, but I dont understand the material they fill it with. This speculative discovery doesnt fit their idea of the world and the universe, so I wonder how they will give this a place.

God invented evolution 'cause he couldn't do it all by himself! Awesome Tees!

BBS Signature
kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to mars discovery > religion 2012-11-21 11:08:56 Reply

religious people are not programmed to think, but to blindly follow

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

leanlifter1
leanlifter1
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to mars discovery > religion 2012-11-21 11:19:04 Reply

Anything that goes against the good book is blasphemes ! end of story.

BBS Signature
SteveGuzzi
SteveGuzzi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Writer
Response to mars discovery > religion 2012-11-21 11:32:00 Reply

At 11/21/12 11:06 AM, Tomsan wrote: Old fashion religion was very much centered around the earth it being the most precious creation of god. There is some mentioning though that can be related to aliens (forgive me for not looking it up, something with giants from the sky), but in all there seems to be a consensus that life was only created on earth.

Not exactly. When religions first came about, they may not have worked with the same paradigms we do today, with concepts of other planets and stars being comparable to our own planet and sun, but that doesn't mean they claimed that life existed here and here alone. Quite the opposite actually, you find lots of mentions of other 'worlds', ones even preceding our own. That they tend to be phrased in a spiritual context instead of a strictly geological or astronomical context does not mean they believed that our sphere is/was the only one to support 'life'. There is actually *zero* consensus that life was created only on Earth.

...I mean sure, there are narrow-minded religious beliefs out there, but taking a narrow view of religion as a whole doesn't really make for a great argument. What did people do when they found out Columbus didn't fall off the edge of the planet? They got over their old concept of what the Earth was, I imagine. Or deluded themselves further. There's really not that many essential routes you can take with stuff like that. You either accept it, and it changes your paradigms completely or at least compels you to incorporate the new information into your existing worldview... or, you go "NUH UH!" and plug your ears up and pretend like everything's the exact same as before.

BBS Signature
LordJaric
LordJaric
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to mars discovery > religion 2012-11-21 16:40:23 Reply

A believe I heard that the Catholic Church has said that extraterrestrial life is not outside of god's plan.

Common sense isn't so common anymore
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"
Fanfiction Page

LordJaric
LordJaric
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to mars discovery > religion 2012-11-21 16:44:10 Reply

At 11/21/12 04:40 PM, LordJaric wrote: A believe I heard that the Catholic Church has said that extraterrestrial life is not outside of god's plan.

One more thing (just came to me), why do people have to be so hell bent on science vs religion? I've seen people of religious stature who were scientific. And people of science say that things like evolution does not go against religon. So why? Why do people feel the need to create conflict between the two?

Common sense isn't so common anymore
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"
Fanfiction Page

TheKlown
TheKlown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Blank Slate
Response to mars discovery > religion 2012-11-21 17:54:06 Reply

Religious ppl > ObamaBucks ppl

I bleed Orange, Green, and Red.
Flyers, Eagles, Phillies, and Sixers.

Tomsan
Tomsan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to mars discovery > religion 2012-11-21 18:16:16 Reply

At 11/21/12 02:47 PM, 24901miles wrote: It's probably Methane. If it were life, they would say "change the world" or "shock the world".

Finding methane means they found conclusive evidence of either geologic activity or some kind of life. As far as we know, methane only comes from those two processes, and breaks down quickly in the absence of either.

yeah Ive read that possibility. though the statements are "shocking news" and "this will go into the history books". I guess it depends on one's perspective if methane is shocking or history book material. Like you said it doesnt necessarily mean life, and geological activity is not really surprising. Almost all planets in our solar system contain methane.

God invented evolution 'cause he couldn't do it all by himself! Awesome Tees!

BBS Signature
Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to mars discovery > religion 2012-11-21 18:56:00 Reply

For all we know this may be some nerds way overreacting to the discovery of a special space rock. (shaped like Jesus maybe?)

poxpower
poxpower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to mars discovery > religion 2012-11-21 20:00:35 Reply

It's completely inconsequential.

The very fact that there's other planets is contrary to the bible and you don't seem them caring. That's how religion works. If they can't deny your facts, then they will just say it proves their god EVEN MORE.

You can't win against stupid people.

BBS Signature
RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to mars discovery > religion 2012-11-21 20:01:57 Reply

At 11/21/12 08:00 PM, poxpower wrote: The very fact that there's other planets is contrary to the bible and you don't seem them caring.

Wat.

Please elaborate. I'm all for pointing out the flaws in the bible, but people at least need to point out real ones and not just go hurr durr atheism

All the cool kids have signature text

BBS Signature
Ravariel
Ravariel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to mars discovery > religion 2012-11-22 00:21:38 Reply

At 11/21/12 06:58 PM, 24901miles wrote:
At 11/21/12 06:56 PM, Camarohusky wrote: For all we know this may be some nerds way overreacting to the discovery of a special space rock. (shaped like Jesus maybe?)
NASA already updated their Facebook to stop the rumor. It was just some dumb reporter sensationalizing a quote about how the mission is a historic milestone.

This. Everything Curiosity does right now is historic. It is a rolling nuclear-powered robotic laboratory on another planet. Nothing it is doing has been done before.

Also: it is not equipped to be able to find or recognize life or the fossils thereof. My guess is that a spectral analyses of the clays at the bottom of gale crater show silicates and other direct evidences of both flowing and standing water. It will take a macrophene fossil observable by the camera on Curiosity for it to find "life". In order to discover fossilized single- or small multi-cellular life will take a new rover or an extended manned mission. We may be able to get some spectral evidences of amino acids or life-indicating elements, but nothing definitive.

I'll say again: Curiosity (most likely) cannot find life. It doesn't have the right equipment.

Tis better to sit in silence and be presumed a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to mars discovery > religion 2012-11-22 02:00:08 Reply

At 11/21/12 08:00 PM, poxpower wrote: The very fact that there's other planets is contrary to the bible and you don't seem them caring. That's how religion works. If they can't deny your facts, then they will just say it proves their god EVEN MORE.

Seeing as religion is merely an outlet and a reflection of the human condition, none of this is actually negative, even though you try your hardest to make it so.

Some people just hate change. These people graitate to fundamentalist religious groups and are of the ilk that would plug their ears and say "nah nah nah, you're lying!"

Others love change but have strong, rich, and deep emotional connections to their religion, for whatever reason, and these are the sort that incorporate. They keep that which is important to the religion (the teachings, the community, the emotional outreach) and are quick to scrap the extraneous stuff.

You can't win against stupid people.

Stupid comes in all creeds. You'd be surprised how stupid many athiests there are (especially those too damn stupid to see the immense value of religion).

Earfetish
Earfetish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to mars discovery > religion 2012-11-22 07:04:04 Reply

At 11/21/12 08:01 PM, RacistBassist wrote:
At 11/21/12 08:00 PM, poxpower wrote: The very fact that there's other planets is contrary to the bible and you don't seem them caring.
Wat.

Please elaborate. I'm all for pointing out the flaws in the bible, but people at least need to point out real ones and not just go hurr durr atheism

pick up the old testament and read the first few pages about how 'the universe' was created in an earth-centric way

was there an alien Jesus or are they all doomed, or maybe they didn't have original sin, or maybe there was an alien Adam

The Bible is definitely definitely written by people who expressed the belief that the earth was the centre of the universe and pretty much all there is, with God only interested in what goes on on Earth, it even mentions 'the four corners of the Earth' even though the Greeks knew the world was round

Earfetish
Earfetish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to mars discovery > religion 2012-11-22 07:19:31 Reply

but yeah, the average joe will not worry about cognitive dissonance if aliens are discovered, some talking head on the telly or their priest or whatever will say 'goes to show the majesty of God' and 'God works in mysterious ways' when confronted with questions about the afterlife for intelligent aliens or the vast universe that is teeming with life.

Like I've read the New Testament recently and people would say loads of nonsense about why the Jews aren't actually responsible for the death of Jesus but that the Romans are, even though in Matthew it makes it perfectly clear that Pilate didn't want to kill Jesus, the Jews forced his hand and he symbolically washed his hands in front of them and said the blood was on them. Nowadays people make up all sorts of poor arguments to defend the antisemitism of the text, but they're more than satisfied with their reasoning and that's all that counts.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to mars discovery > religion 2012-11-22 11:34:26 Reply

At 11/22/12 09:17 AM, CloseThyDoor wrote: What is interesting is that some Hindu scriptures talk about vasts universes and many planets with life on them

You're getting dangrously close to sounding like Tsoukalos.

leanlifter1
leanlifter1
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to mars discovery > religion 2012-11-22 12:16:49 Reply

At 11/22/12 11:34 AM, Camarohusky wrote:
At 11/22/12 09:17 AM, CloseThyDoor wrote: What is interesting is that some Hindu scriptures talk about vasts universes and many planets with life on them
You're getting dangrously close to sounding like Tsoukalos.

Don't dam and attempt ostracize him however would it not be to everyone's benefit for him to cite the sources of his claims in what he is suggesting the Hindu Scriptures depict ?

BBS Signature
poxpower
poxpower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to mars discovery > religion 2012-11-22 17:31:31 Reply

At 11/22/12 02:00 AM, Camarohusky wrote:
Seeing as religion is merely an outlet and a reflection of the human conditio

No it's not, it's a book written by people.
The words have meanings.

You don't get to read things and then interpret them any way you want. The Matrix isn't a movie about Santa Claus fighting the Transformers because suddenly it's socially unacceptable to wear trench coats.

Religion doesn't have "immense value" unless you're one of the very few people sitting at the top of the pyramid profiting from it.

And read the texts, you'll see you can't just interpret things all day long to mean whatever you want, of course unless you're extremely dishonest, which most religious scholars are.
They read their texts in a way they would never read any other text just to square their religion with being a decent human in the 21st century.

Holy fuck one time I was watching a Rabbi say how amazing the story of Abraham almost killing his son was. To him, obeying voices in your head that tell you to kill your son is the greatest proof of God's wisdom and love ever.

He's just downright dishonest, like so many conspiracy nuts really.

BBS Signature
poxpower
poxpower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to mars discovery > religion 2012-11-22 19:08:54 Reply

At 11/22/12 05:50 PM, 24901miles wrote:
At 11/22/12 05:31 PM, poxpower wrote:
To be fair, I think it's an idea/culture carried by people. The transfer mechanism is not a book as often as word-of-mouth.

It's written down now. Too late for that. They're stuck with it but it's so ass-backwards that they have to do anything they can to "interpret" it.

That's just the scholars of course, who are usually idiots or charlatants in my opinion. If you dedicate your life to reading religious texts and you still don't think it's bullshit, how smart can you be, really?

BBS Signature
BarryLyndonIII
BarryLyndonIII
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to mars discovery > religion 2012-11-22 19:54:10 Reply

I, for one, welcome our new Martian Overlords.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to mars discovery > religion 2012-11-22 20:09:14 Reply

At 11/22/12 05:31 PM, poxpower wrote:

To quote your own misplaced, but now suddenly relevant, piece of wisdom:

"You can't win against stupid people." I will never win against your blind dogmatic religious disdain for religion, as you mirror the exact sort of qualities you claim to hate about it. Way to shut down your mind.

poxpower
poxpower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to mars discovery > religion 2012-11-22 20:13:58 Reply

At 11/22/12 08:09 PM, Camarohusky wrote: Way to shut down your mind.

Haha yeah of course, if I don't agree with you, I must be close-minded.
If I can't SEE THE TRUTH then truly I need to OPEN MY MIND!! Until I agree with you. Then and only then will I be smart, otherwise I am just close-minded and dumb :,(
:,(

:,(
No need for things like logic and arguments, just saying people are close-minded wins. Who wants to be close-minded? Surely not me!

BBS Signature
Korriken
Korriken
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to mars discovery > religion 2012-11-22 20:20:23 Reply

At 11/22/12 07:08 PM, poxpower wrote:
That's just the scholars of course, who are usually idiots or charlatants in my opinion. If you dedicate your life to reading religious texts and you still don't think it's bullshit, how smart can you be, really?

of course it's your opinion. it's about the same opinion I have of drunks, smokers, drug addicts, whores, people who have to shove their gay pride, atheism, non white skin color, among other things, into other peoples' faces.

If you don't like something, your opinion of it is going to be negative.

I'm not crazy, everyone else is.

poxpower
poxpower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to mars discovery > religion 2012-11-22 21:38:51 Reply

At 11/22/12 08:20 PM, Korriken wrote:
of course it's your opinion.

I've watched countless religious debates by now, I'm still waiting for a smart religious apologist to show up to one of them.
The actually smart ones don't make a career of debating and studying books, they just use their position of authority to make money and gain power.

Heck how much can you really believe a guy who makes a living out of studying his stupid book? He'll never admit his texts are crazy no matter what they say or how obvious it is to any outsider looking in. Oh wow, no eating of shellfish? How do you explain THAT one, Rabbi Genius? Interpret your dumb ass out of that rule why don't you.

I'm glad I don't believe in that kind of bullshit so I don't have to sit here all day trying to come up with ways in which it could be not wrong. Shellfish? Oh no he meant horse poop. See? God is wise.

BBS Signature
SteveGuzzi
SteveGuzzi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Writer
Response to mars discovery > religion 2012-11-22 23:07:07 Reply

At 11/22/12 07:08 PM, poxpower wrote: If you dedicate your life to reading religious texts and you still don't think it's bullshit, how smart can you be, really?

CONFIRMATION BIAS: CONFIRMED

BBS Signature
SteveGuzzi
SteveGuzzi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Writer
Response to mars discovery > religion 2012-11-22 23:10:25 Reply

At 11/22/12 05:31 PM, poxpower wrote: The words have meanings.
You don't get to read things and then interpret them any way you want.

Well... isn't that exactly what you're doing right now?

You dislike dishonesty, hypocrisy, and authoritarian bullshit... and yet you're perfectly comfortable pulling all three yourself, in one fell swoop, without so much as even noticing it.

The Matrix isn't a movie about Santa Claus fighting the Transformers because suddenly it's socially unacceptable to wear trench coats.

Likewise, the words written about Abraham and Isaac aren't a story about some guy going schizo and almost offing his kid due to CRRRAZY voices in his head just because you think it's socially UNacceptable for anyone to have religious faith.

Religion doesn't have "immense value" unless you're one of the very few people sitting at the top of the pyramid profiting from it.

Are you saying that middle, lower-class, and poor people derive no benefit from religious faith?

Is that what they've all told you themselves?

No?

Then who are you to decide what is of low value or high value to someone else, especially when it's in regard to something YOU don't even HAVE, and NEVER will?

And read the texts, you'll see you can't just interpret things all day long to mean whatever you want, of course unless you're extremely dishonest, which most religious scholars are.

They don't have a monopoly on dishonesty; you have no problem staking out your own little territory in which to be dishonest.

"You'll see you can't just interpret things all day long to mean whatever you want" ...

But apparently you're still giving an effort towards doing that anyway.

They read their texts in a way they would never read any other text just to square their religion with being a decent human in the 21st century.

No... they read it in the context by which it was provided to them. You are taking things outside of their context... which, I presume, you'd never intentionally do with any other text, right???

Like man, those Aesop's fables huh? Haha, animals can't talk, that's stupid! And a tortoise beating a hare in a footrace??? Aside from the obvious fact that animals don't compete in races like that (also, did I mention that they can't talk!? haha), science has clearly shown that there is no species of tortoise, turtle, etc. in existence that could EVER beat the land speed record of ANY species of hare, rabbit, etc. So much for THAT ridiculous story!

...Amidoinitrite?

Holy fuck one time I was watching a Rabbi say how amazing the story of Abraham almost killing his son was. To him, obeying voices in your head that tell you to kill your son is the greatest proof of God's wisdom and love ever.
He's just downright dishonest

Of course. It certainly doesn't matter that in the chapter immediately preceding the one you're talking about, that God gave Abraham (who, in the story, was over 100 years old at the time) and Sarah (who was over 90 herself) a son of their own, as God had earlier promised. It doesn't matter that, before ever commanding him to sacrifice his son Isaac (who did not yet have children of his own), God had first promised Abraham that "it is through Isaac that descendants shall bear your name."

Clearly, the context of God fulfilling one miraculous promise, only to later ask the guy to do something that would appear to preclude the fulfillment of another of God's promises to him, means nothing at all. It also means nothing that, when Isaac had asked where the sheep for the sacrifice was, Abraham responded that God would provide a sheep, and then he later found a ram caught by its horns in a thicket, conveniently, immediately after being stopped by God's messenger from doing any harm to Isaac

These details, clearly, mean nothing.

It's all impossible anyway, right? It's so simple!

Like man, this Bible huh? Haha, sacrificing animals, that's stupid! And a pair of wrinkly old people having a kid like that??? Aside from the fact that there's no God around to promise anything to anyone (also, did I mention that sacrifice does nothing!? haha), science has clearly shown that a couple of such advanced years as they could NEVER produce biologically viable offspring! So much for THAT ridiculous story!

BBS Signature
poxpower
poxpower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to mars discovery > religion 2012-11-23 00:28:34 Reply

At 11/22/12 11:10 PM, SteveGuzzi wrote:
Well... isn't that exactly what you're doing right now?

No

Likewise, the words written about Abraham and Isaac aren't a story about some guy going schizo and almost offing his kid due to CRRRAZY voices in his head just because you think it's socially UNacceptable for anyone to have religious faith.

There's no way to read that story positively in 2012 unless you live in the clouds. I envy these people because everything they read is a story about Batman and Spider-Man teaming up to fight Darth Vader.

Then who are you to decide what is of low value or high value to someone else

I don't decide, reality decides. Pick any way to measure it that you want, religion brings not many returns on the investment and it certainly brings nothing unique.

The only way to measure it that doesn't yield this result is if you ask someone "Is this worth a lot to you?" in which case he'd reply "OMG SO MUCH". But what is that worth? I could sell a bag of sand to an idiot for a billion dollars, doesn't make that bag of sand priceless.

No... they read it in the context by which it was provided to them.

No, not really.
Again I have listened to countless such debates. The mental gymnastics these guy go through when their feet are put to the fire is astonishing.

What do you think the Pope answers when you point out Jesus was all about being poor? The Vatican doesn't give a fuck what the text says. Heck it's so hard with the bible anyway since there's so many contradictions. You can pick and choose what you want.

That's why I say scholars are in a way the dumbest of all since they're aware of ALL the parts of the text but they still act like it all makes perfect sense for 21st century living.

Like man, those Aesop's fables huh?

Yeah religions aren't written like fables. Some parts of it are, but some aren't, and the parts of it that are CLAIMED to be metaphorical or fables change depending on the century.

As they become more ridiculous when compared to what science knows or what society trusts is correct, they go into the little "oh this was a metaphor all along" box.

They've done it again and again and again.

Clearly, the context of God fulfilling one miraculous promise, only to later ask the guy to do something that would appear to preclude the fulfillment of another of God's promises to him, means nothing at all.

Dude are you mental?
Did the son know this? No he didn't. The son is a human too but God thinks it's awesome to fuck around with his dad's mind by having him pretend-murder his son? How would you feel if your dad took you outside in the middle of the night and said he was going to murder you because he heard "God" tell him?

That's just one way in which this is just insanity. There's no "morality" here but "It's good to be blindly obedient to authority and you shall be rewarded".

But Jewish people read that like "Oh wow, isn't god great, giving people things? Isn't this being of infinite power amazing for fullfilling a triffling request, as long as people do shit for him like terrorize their children or give their kids lives?".

Replace God with anything. Oh, The President promised me a son and he gave him to me but then he asked me to go murder him on top of a mountain. The president is great! He was just fucking with me to test me after all! Truly a great man!

No one would stand for this if it happened to them today unless they had a mental disorder, really.

BBS Signature
poxpower
poxpower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to mars discovery > religion 2012-11-23 00:31:26 Reply

At 11/22/12 11:07 PM, SteveGuzzi wrote:
At 11/22/12 07:08 PM, poxpower wrote: If you dedicate your life to reading religious texts and you still don't think it's bullshit, how smart can you be, really?
CONFIRMATION BIAS: CONFIRMED

Haha.

Honestly I'm just ripping on them here but there's bounds of reasons. Yeah there's doctors and surgeons who do and believe impossibly stupid things. Does that means they're stupid?

The word stupid is almost meaningless anyway.

I certainly think they're being foolish. Unlike them though, I can actually back up my claim. What's a doctor who believes in astrology going to do against that? Prove he can tell my future by reading the stars? No, he's fucked. I win because reality is on my side. I get to call him an idiot.

That's how it works.

BBS Signature
poxpower
poxpower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to mars discovery > religion 2012-11-23 00:36:22 Reply

On a lighter note. lolz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYvcc8ui3CM

BBS Signature
lilfozzy
lilfozzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to mars discovery > religion 2012-11-23 00:38:04 Reply

Man wrote the bible, and the koran, and just about every holy book in existence. So for all we know, we may have a completely false interpretation of god.