New Topic Respond to this Topic
Gazuria
Gazuria
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Gaze Framework (as3/air/flex) Nov. 20th, 2012 @ 05:54 PM Reply

Hello everyone, IâEUTMm Gazu I had been developing flash games since 2005. I just want to share a new framework IâEUTMm working on. ItâEUTMs still alpha but you will get the idea, itâEUTMs done in AIR, the framework will not replace Flex or Flash but work with them.

IâEUTMll put weekly or monthly updates in my YouTube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTHy4x7vpbc

I'll glad to respond to any questions, or feedback you have!

pirateplatypus
pirateplatypus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Gaze Framework (as3/air/flex) Nov. 20th, 2012 @ 06:23 PM Reply

A link to your product could be interesting. I personally have no interest in programming related videos on Youtube. I can read much faster than someone can speak.

"If loving Python is crazy then I don't want to be sane." -Diki

MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to Gaze Framework (as3/air/flex) Nov. 20th, 2012 @ 06:24 PM Reply

At 11/20/12 06:23 PM, pirateplatypus wrote: A link to your product could be interesting. I personally have no interest in programming related videos on Youtube. I can read much faster than someone can speak.

I feel just the opposite! It's very helpful to see someone do something I think.

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.
Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
Gazuria
Gazuria
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Gaze Framework (as3/air/flex) Nov. 21st, 2012 @ 01:50 AM Reply

Hi, pirate, that's a good feedback I'll make a page for it in a month or two, but for now I'll stick to the dev video blog, Somehow I find easier to explain features and functionality on video than on text, I don't pretend to teach programming to anyone, only to share my work, so the videos won't last more than 8 minutes.

MintPaw, thanks!

64base
64base
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Programmer
Response to Gaze Framework (as3/air/flex) Nov. 23rd, 2012 @ 05:00 AM Reply

Nice work! How long did this take you? And do you have the whole code structure planned out or are you going to make it as you go along?

Gazuria
Gazuria
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Gaze Framework (as3/air/flex) Nov. 23rd, 2012 @ 02:55 PM Reply

The main base of the framework took me ~2 months (part-time), state-machine, file format io, resource management, including the animation state and the menu state (which will be in the next video).

I had been working other ~4 months in the game state plus rewriting and redesigning previous features and UI. For example I had to rewrite a lot of code just to implement Starling (Stage3D 2D api) in the game state.

Most of the base code structure was planned, because that's stuff I did thousands of times, state machines, resources. But right now I'm making it as I go along, mostly because I'm trying 'new stuff' and I don't know the proper solution, So I try many things and end with the best one, also, because the main goal of this framework is the development of an indie game with a friend, it's an action adventure game, with boss fights and puzzles mini-games.

- Gazu

At 11/23/12 05:00 AM, 64base wrote: Nice work! How long did this take you? And do you have the whole code structure planned out or are you going to make it as you go along?
Gazuria
Gazuria
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Gaze Framework (as3/air/flex) Nov. 27th, 2012 @ 02:27 PM Reply

I just uploaded a 2nd video showing how the Menu States work without having to write a single line of code.

YOUTUBE : Gaze Framework 2nd Preview - Menu States

Hope you like it.

-Gazu

Gazuria
Gazuria
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Gaze Framework (as3/air/flex) Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 09:02 AM Reply

Third video of the Gaze Framework, in this video Game States, Event Listeners, touch controls and some of the Starling implementation.

Gaze Framework - Game States

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Gaze Framework (as3/air/flex) Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 11:16 AM Reply

At 1/31/13 09:02 AM, Gazuria wrote: Third video of the Gaze Framework, in this video Game States, Event Listeners, touch controls and some of the Starling implementation.

Gaze Framework - Game States

it's great that it's developed using Flash and all, but it's starting to look like one of those "point 'n click game maker" programs, and I really don't like those programs.
It looks pretty damn good for animation or art, though.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to Gaze Framework (as3/air/flex) Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 11:48 AM Reply

At 1/31/13 11:16 AM, egg82 wrote: it's great that it's developed using Flash and all, but it's starting to look like one of those "point 'n click game maker" programs, and I really don't like those programs.
It looks pretty damn good for animation or art, though.

It looks a lot better than point n click game makers I've seen or used, and it seems to be aimed for more visually oriented people. Maybe for an animator who wants to code a game but not get into the nitty gritty as3.

Either way, it looks good. Keep it up!

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Gaze Framework (as3/air/flex) Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 12:24 PM Reply

At 1/31/13 11:48 AM, MSGhero wrote: It looks a lot better than point n click game makers I've seen or used, and it seems to be aimed for more visually oriented people. Maybe for an animator who wants to code a game but not get into the nitty gritty as3.

i'm just saying I can easily see it being abused to hell. "I'm a programmer and I use Gaze, but what is a class?"

at any rate, it is very impressive, and shows some of AIR's power. I don't fault you for being damn good at what you do ;)

BBS Signature
Gazuria
Gazuria
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Gaze Framework (as3/air/flex) Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 09:58 PM Reply

First of all it's not a point and click game creator, yes it has a lot of 'visual' components and pre made and defined behaviors but only in the most flexible way I could think off, to ease development but not to make it a sandbox and limit developers creativity.

You still have to code AS3 in Flash Builder entities behaviors (unless you have them already coded or you just want to do a very simple or common task or a scripted animation)

Eventually there will be a lot of behaviors compiled for Gaze and you could use them without knowing how they where coded, but that's not the idea.

I'll show how behaviors and flash builder integration work in the next video.

Anyway I'm really glad that your interested :D

At 1/31/13 12:24 PM, egg82 wrote:
At 1/31/13 11:48 AM, MSGhero wrote: It looks a lot better than point n click game makers I've seen or used, and it seems to be aimed for more visually oriented people. Maybe for an animator who wants to code a game but not get into the nitty gritty as3.

i'm just saying I can easily see it being abused to hell. "I'm a programmer and I use Gaze, but what is a class?"

at any rate, it is very impressive, and shows some of AIR's power. I don't fault you for being damn good at what you do ;)
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Gaze Framework (as3/air/flex) Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 11:23 PM Reply

At 1/31/13 09:58 PM, Gazuria wrote: Anyway I'm really glad that your interested :D

yeah, it looks interesting. Here's some stuff I picked out of your last video:
1. 800x600 is a pretty standard resolution for Flash games these days, though you should have an option to set and save defaults.
2. That right-click menu in your states is getting pretty long. If you want to add more to it, I would recommend moving all of that into a submenu labeled "add" and removing the word "add" from all of the labels in that submenu.
3. custom FPS for every state could either be a really good idea or a really bad one. Keep an eye on that.
4. Most of the items under the preview should really be more a matter of code. Music can change and sounds can be dynamically added, "resource" looks like it could be "resources", in which case you're going to need more than a single drop-down, and i'm not entirely sure an offset for the entire state serves a real purpose. "Frame scripts" looks interesting, but if it does what I think it does, then why is it a checkbox? "Skip mode" could also change during the state, so i'm not sure it's a good idea to have one solid box for that, either.
5. A default initial state would have saves you a few headaches, but that's most likely in the past now.
6. Again, in the right-click menu of the game state, all of those "add..." options could be moved into a submenu.
7. Making starling a universal option instead of a scene-by-scene things may save a few headaches as well. Plus, I don't see many games that go "we'll use this framework here, but not here, and here again, and then this framework here..." - it's normally one solid framework throughout the entire game, because otherwise it's just a confusing, slow mess.
8. Utilize the keyboard more. Add shortcuts, because everyone loves shortcuts. Make everything readily-accessible to people with varying likes. Some people like to right-click, some people like the keyboard, and some people like clever use of mouse such as gestures and double-clicking, etc. Make sure there are many ways to get to where they're going.
9. The zoom is great, but once again more accessibility would be nice. A magnifying glass tool, mouse wheel, keyboard shortcut, double-left-click to zoom in and double-right-click to zoom out or something, etc etc.
10. Add buttons right to the components panel that allow you to import assets, or allow people to drag-'n-drop assets into the library from the OS directly (if possible) - readily-accessible everything is key to programs like this. Features count for nothing if nobody can get to them.
11. add snapping like the Flash IDE. Not just grid snapping for objects, but stuff like shift+click resize corners to keep the aspect ratio, etc etc. Also, registration snapping would be useful. And a button to turn it all on and off. Take a few leafs from the Flash IDE book; they have some great ideas packed into that IDE.
12. Display properties should auto-open when an object is selected. Most of the time, that's what you'll be dealing with, so why bother having everyone open it every time they select a new object?
13. The display property values should auto-highlight when focused upon so you can edit values more readily (highlighting text every time you want to edit it is a pain)
14. Turn Project->run into a submenu, and allow the options "debug" and "release" so you can check out how it all runs from all angles. Also, shortcut keys. F5 could stand for "run/reset debug" and Shift+F5 could stand for "run/reset release" or something.
15. DisplayObjects telling DisplayObjects how to run is poor design. A game engine should not be stored in a DisplayObject, because it has no use being a DisplayObject. I unserstand it's a button, but you should allow for an arbitrary class (an engine) to tell everything what to do. Right now, it's looking like Java: "if it isn't an object, it doesn't exist."
16. Your "add even listener" box doesn't give detailed information on which parameters do what. If you can import ASDocs, parameter names, or anything into the box somehow (a hover tooltip, maybe?) then it would be great. Generally, two programmers don't work on the same thing, so "number" and "boolean" are really useless when calling a function. We need to know what it represents, what it does.
17. Having to "edit listener" in order to remove it is a bit of a pain. Just move the "remove" to the right-click menu.
18. "Parameter 0" and "Parameter 1" is so much less helpful than "number" and "boolean" - at least those tell you what it's expecting.
19. Your up/down number arrows have no symbols. Just thought i'd point that out.
20. Defaulting values would have saved you headache for sure.
21. Having shapes other than circles for touch events would help greatly, if you haven't implemented it already. In the example you gave, triangle shapes would have done great service to your wheel of life.

and that's my list.

BBS Signature
Gazuria
Gazuria
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Gaze Framework (as3/air/flex) Feb. 15th, 2013 @ 08:17 PM Reply

Thanks egg that's good feedback, some added to the pipeline.

New video (shorter) languages and localization :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dVC8MVrvmM&list=PLTQOvVV5DoC UxoySHegTIFKhrpLjcWrG5