00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kyzakay just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Arimaa Solo Project Q&a

1,401 Views | 24 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Arimaa Solo Project Q&a 2012-11-19 18:17:57

So I am currently working on, quite possibly the largest project that I have put together. I have been working tirelessly getting this thing done. I've shown a few people some of the work that I've already done, I figure why not make a thread about it. :D

Here I'll post updates and teasers for the project, as-well as show you some behind the scenes details.

Also I'll be answering questions to any new animators who would like to hone their craft. ( Not that I'm amazing )

Here we can also discuss upcoming episodes.

Teaser 1

I used FL Studio for the soundtrack, and Adobe Flash for the animation, in the teaser you'll see a background that I'm using in Scene 1.

Style of art,

Outlines - Line tool at .5 width
Color - No solid black/ Solid White

I am currently about 90% finished with the First scene of the episode, below is a teaser of the art.

Please feel free to ask questions, or even offer up suggestions.

Arimaa Solo Project Q&a

A Girl in A Room Halloween Collaboration II -Join Now!-

BBS Signature

Response to Arimaa Solo Project Q&a 2012-11-19 21:23:01

I approve!!

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

-F. Scott Fitzgerald

BBS Signature

Response to Arimaa Solo Project Q&a 2012-11-21 05:00:14

At 11/19/12 09:23 PM, Jomillex wrote: I approve!!

Ha,

Alright guys, have been at work for the last few days, so haven't had much progress, but tomorrow I'll be starting on Scene 2,

Here is your guys teaser :D

Episode 1 Scene 1

BBS Signature

Response to Arimaa Solo Project Q&a 2012-11-22 03:12:58

I've been working on Scene 2! woo!

Arimaa Solo Project Q&a

BBS Signature

Response to Arimaa Solo Project Q&a 2012-11-22 03:59:26

Very admirable that your doing everything including music. Hats off to you and good luck on your project. I am undertaking a solo project too and I was considering using a copyright-free soundtrack but I am itching to try to create my own tunes even though I have very little experience in music.

Currently doing short rough animations here http://khanhcpham.deviantart.com/

Response to Arimaa Solo Project Q&a 2012-11-22 04:47:58

At 11/22/12 03:59 AM, KhanhCPham wrote: Very admirable that your doing everything including music. Hats off to you and good luck on your project. I am undertaking a solo project too and I was considering using a copyright-free soundtrack but I am itching to try to create my own tunes even though I have very little experience in music.

Absolutely, I am not doing everything by myself, I have some amazing Voice Actors that are bringing my characters to life, also a co-writer for the script that is being used.

Voice Actors are (order of appearance)

Hank- ColonelMagus
William- ColonelMagus
Ben- VoiceActorFoSho
Nathan- ColonelMagus

Script Writer- olfool

The music I'm making is fairly simple, but then again I've had years of music classes in school, so I'm not sure how simple it'd be to somebody not as familiar with it.

If you are looking for great copyright free music use the Audio portal, thousands of songs waiting to be heard and enjoyed by viewers, it'll take a little bit of time but there is pretty much everything in the audio portal.

Also i know there are some great producers in the Music BBS here on NG, tons of talented users wanting to collaborate with people like us.

I would like to see how your project is coming along. :D

Have a happy thanksgiving, Hopefully i'll have time to work on it some more tomorrow.

BBS Signature

Response to Arimaa Solo Project Q&a 2012-11-22 06:19:43

At 11/22/12 04:47 AM, ReklessCreati0n wrote:
If you are looking for great copyright free music use the Audio portal, thousands of songs waiting to be heard and enjoyed by viewers, it'll take a little bit of time but there is pretty much everything in the audio portal.

Also i know there are some great producers in the Music BBS here on NG, tons of talented users wanting to collaborate with people like us.

I would like to see how your project is coming along. :D

Have a happy thanksgiving, Hopefully i'll have time to work on it some more tomorrow.

Thanks I'll check the audio portal once I am done. I have bits and pieces of my project here http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1307864. I am currently compiling it on adobe premiere to see how the pacing suits my needs. Happy Thanksgiving too.

Currently doing short rough animations here http://khanhcpham.deviantart.com/

Response to Arimaa Solo Project Q&a 2012-11-23 02:25:26

Alright, today has been a busy day, I enjoyed some time with the family and still managed to get some work done on the project (success!)

Below is an update image Woo!

Arimaa Solo Project Q&a

BBS Signature

Response to Arimaa Solo Project Q&a 2012-11-23 12:17:44

At 11/23/12 02:25 AM, ReklessCreati0n wrote: Alright, today has been a busy day, I enjoyed some time with the family and still managed to get some work done on the project (success!)

Below is an update image Woo!

This is going to be fantastic can't wait to see :)

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

-F. Scott Fitzgerald

BBS Signature

Response to Arimaa Solo Project Q&a 2012-11-25 19:15:04

Been working on it today before I have to go to work, putting some time into backgrounds, ugh I hate drawing backgrounds lol.

Arimaa Solo Project Q&a

BBS Signature

Response to Arimaa Solo Project Q&a 2012-11-25 19:16:06

At 11/25/12 07:15 PM, ReklessCreati0n wrote: Been working on it today before I have to go to work, putting some time into backgrounds, ugh I hate drawing backgrounds lol.

What is the storyline about :0

-F. Scott Fitzgerald

BBS Signature

Response to Arimaa Solo Project Q&a 2012-11-25 19:29:40

At 11/25/12 07:16 PM, Jomillex wrote:
At 11/25/12 07:15 PM, ReklessCreati0n wrote: Been working on it today before I have to go to work, putting some time into backgrounds, ugh I hate drawing backgrounds lol.
What is the storyline about :0

They storyline is about Nathan, who gets thrown into this "death-match" to be inducted into a secret assassin organization. The last man standing is recruited into the organization. Each of the 12 recruits have a mentor that is part of the organization to help train them to survive the process.

Thats where the story begins :D

BBS Signature

Response to Arimaa Solo Project Q&a 2012-11-26 04:19:20

Came home from work and made a bit of progress. I'll have free time after work tomorrow until Friday.

Arimaa Solo Project Q&a

BBS Signature

Response to Arimaa Solo Project Q&a 2012-11-27 06:31:08

Alright, I've got the next few days to get some progress done on the animation. I can take my time with it and make it look awesome! In the mean time, here is a teaser of some of the music that I've made for this series so far.

Music Teaser

I do have the scene seen below almost done though :D

Arimaa Solo Project Q&a

BBS Signature

Response to Arimaa Solo Project Q&a 2012-11-28 16:51:33

I took a quick break, after finishing the last segment, I decided to do some character design for Ava... Which turned out to be a part for the "Bouncing Boobs and Butts" collab... oh god why...

But yeah, this is what Ava will look like.... minus the sexy, shiny, glisining stuff... and add a bunch of badass-ery.

I'll be starting on the next segment here shortly, I'll have an update for you all later tonight...

If anybody is even reading this thread >.<

Arimaa Solo Project Q&a

BBS Signature

Response to Arimaa Solo Project Q&a 2012-11-28 19:21:56

I haven't really posted many tutorial based images yet, so here is one.

I'm working on my backgrounds for the next part so i figured I'd give a bit of behind the scenes look.

This is how I do my backgrounds-

STEP 1- I first will sketch the scene with the background, so I can get an idea of what I'm trying to achieve, my sketches are quick, and usually done with the brush tool. I use a low opacity so it doesn't get cluttered as I go to the next step.

STEP 2- After getting the sketches down I then will use the line tool to work out the final borders. I usually use a bright color for the line tool, because I delete them later on. I find that; red, purple, pink, and bright green. Usually work best. Note that I do use my vanishing points for consistency in my 3d objects.

STEP 3- After that I go in and start coloring, durring this step I usually will add in the details like bricks, and shading as well. Be sure to keep track of your vanishing points cause they are important when doing the minor details. :D

Any questions?

Arimaa Solo Project Q&a

BBS Signature

Response to Arimaa Solo Project Q&a 2012-11-28 21:46:24

Step 4- Color it and add in the details

Step 5- Characters and animation to them

Arimaa Solo Project Q&a

BBS Signature

Response to Arimaa Solo Project Q&a 2012-11-29 04:09:35

Character animation- Working on Some FBF... lots of FBF

Arimaa Solo Project Q&a

BBS Signature

Response to Arimaa Solo Project Q&a 2012-11-29 05:37:05

At 11/29/12 04:09 AM, ReklessCreati0n wrote: Character animation- Working on Some FBF... lots of FBF

Ben is nearly complete, just need to add in facial expressions and lip sync, then I do Nathan.

Arimaa Solo Project Q&a

BBS Signature

Response to Arimaa Solo Project Q&a 2012-11-29 22:07:26

Making progress!

Arimaa Solo Project Q&a

BBS Signature

Response to Arimaa Solo Project Q&a 2012-11-30 05:16:55

At 11/29/12 10:07 PM, ReklessCreati0n wrote: Making progress!

Now they have faces! I haven't done frame by frame lip sync/ facial expressions in a long time. But I like how its turning out.

Arimaa Solo Project Q&a

BBS Signature

Response to Arimaa Solo Project Q&a 2012-12-05 03:06:11

FINALLY I have finished one of the longest talking scenes in the episode. I don't know what made me want to do FBF for the whole thing... but its over! Only took me like 4 days :o

General Update-

Had a bit of a set-back the last few days, I got this bad rash on my hands and one of my hands ended up swelling up for a day. At the same time as that I came down with a slight cold which made it difficult to do much of anything. But I did get some interesting drawings done that you can see in my Gallery...

Today I was feeling better so I buckled down and started working on finishing the last scene and it looks pretty good I think. Now I get to start the next part which is a bit shorter so, should be fairly quick. Already sketched it out! (see below)

Arimaa Solo Project Q&a

BBS Signature

Response to Arimaa Solo Project Q&a 2012-12-05 18:59:16

Finished the next background (mostly) now I've gotta go to work. Image Below!

Arimaa Solo Project Q&a

BBS Signature

Response to Arimaa Solo Project Q&a 2013-01-26 01:00:47

The project is finished and I am looking for some "Beta" Viewers to make sure that everything works correctly and fits together. Also with any animation errors that you spot that I have looked over. Reply to this thread and I'll choose a few people to get Early viewing before submitting the final product.

Arimaa Solo Project Q&a

BBS Signature

Response to Arimaa Solo Project Q&a 2013-01-28 00:18:36

hey reckless, this looks great! the only thing that's bothering me is your cloud design. the blur seems out of place with the cleanliness of the rest of the shots.