Be a Supporter!

What If Love Isn't The Solution?

  • 794 Views
  • 29 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Slint
Slint
  • Member since: Nov. 6, 2007
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Audiophile
What If Love Isn't The Solution? Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 11:35 AM Reply

I mean, what if it IS the problem?
You see it all around you, money is the root of all evil, power corrupts you, love is the only thing that can make it right?

But what if it isn't, and it's exactly the opposite? I mean, most crimes are commited in the name of love. Whether love for money, power, people.
Love is always there.

Truth is, I guess we wouldn't do very well without is as well. It's a bit confusing. I'm hoping you understand what I'm trying to say.

What say you, NG?


Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
o0-0o
o0-0o
  • Member since: May. 7, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to What If Love Isn't The Solution? Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 11:39 AM Reply

Since when was love the solution?

monkeyspanthisgooplz
monkeyspanthisgooplz
  • Member since: Dec. 18, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to What If Love Isn't The Solution? Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 12:03 PM Reply

One time I replied to a thread.

/thread

JBK
JBK
  • Member since: Jun. 15, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Gamer
Response to What If Love Isn't The Solution? Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 12:34 PM Reply

Because if hate was the solution we'd be living in a paradise right now.


"Even though you hate gays, believe in god, and dislike my posts, I still think you're cool"-FurryFox
"TarahlovesJBKscawk"-Tarah, "Those pants are just adorable"-Gagsy
Last.fm

BBS Signature
ornery
ornery
  • Member since: Feb. 12, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 55
Artist
Response to What If Love Isn't The Solution? Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 12:41 PM Reply

At 11/18/12 11:35 AM, Slint wrote: But what if it isn't, and it's exactly the opposite? I mean, most crimes are commited in the name of love. Whether love for money, power, people.
Love is always there.

Love? Or hate? Many crimes are committed for love, but I can think of more committed for hate. I suppose an argument could be made where you cant have one without the other (the KKK lynches minorities because they hate them/ love white power?)

I don't think there is one over encompassing factor to all crimes though. You can say money, but Jeffery Dhamer didnt kill male prostitutes for money. You can say power, be it power over an individual or power over a group, but a guy shooting a stranger when he catches him in bed with his wife isn't really a power trip, its a crime of passion (money also not involved there).

There is such a wide variety of crimes, that its impossible to find one common cause for all of them.

Loki
Loki
  • Member since: Oct. 18, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 52
Writer
Response to What If Love Isn't The Solution? Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 12:43 PM Reply

The obvious solution is to terminate all the Jews. Well call it the final solution.

FUNKbrs
FUNKbrs
  • Member since: Oct. 28, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to What If Love Isn't The Solution? Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 12:44 PM Reply

At 11/18/12 12:34 PM, JBK wrote: Because if hate was the solution we'd be living in a paradise right now.

We are. We spend our days staring at walls of light and eating well in climate controlled rooms where we may live 40 years past the life expectancy for only a hundred years ago.


My band Sin City ScoundrelsOur song Vixen of Doom
HATE.
Because 2,000 years of "For God so loved the world" doesn't trump 1.2 million years of "Survival of the Fittest."

Kwing
Kwing
  • Member since: Jul. 24, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to What If Love Isn't The Solution? Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 01:42 PM Reply

Define love. The traditional definition of love typically has to do with some form of desire. And desire is at the root of all action, because it's impossible for us to act outside our own interests (even if we do something we don't want to, it's in order to prevent something that we would want even less).

Your idea of 'love' is behind all actions, morally ethical or counterproductive. Eliminate love and people would probably be mostly listless and unmotivated to do anything.


If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.
Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Slint
Slint
  • Member since: Nov. 6, 2007
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Audiophile
Response to What If Love Isn't The Solution? Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 02:14 PM Reply

At 11/18/12 12:34 PM, JBK wrote: Because if hate was the solution we'd be living in a paradise right now.

I'm not saying hate is the solution, I'm proposing an hipothetical scenario where neither would exist, and in this case, love causes as much trouble (or almost) as hate does.


Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Member since: May. 28, 2001
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 47
Artist
Response to What If Love Isn't The Solution? Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 02:37 PM Reply

Love is the most natural painkiller on earth.

JBK
JBK
  • Member since: Jun. 15, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Gamer
Response to What If Love Isn't The Solution? Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 03:01 PM Reply

At 11/18/12 12:44 PM, FUNKbrs wrote:
At 11/18/12 12:34 PM, JBK wrote: Because if hate was the solution we'd be living in a paradise right now.
We are. We spend our days staring at walls of light and eating well in climate controlled rooms

We?


"Even though you hate gays, believe in god, and dislike my posts, I still think you're cool"-FurryFox
"TarahlovesJBKscawk"-Tarah, "Those pants are just adorable"-Gagsy
Last.fm

BBS Signature
satanbrain
satanbrain
  • Member since: Dec. 6, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to What If Love Isn't The Solution? Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 03:01 PM Reply

At 11/18/12 02:37 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: Love is the most natural painkiller on earth.

The most natural painkiller is death.


(הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים אָמַר קֹהֶלֶת, הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים הַכֹּל הָבֶל. דּוֹר הֹלֵךְ וְדוֹר בָּא, וְהָאָרֶץ לְעוֹלָם עֹמָדֶת. (קהלת א ג, ה

BBS Signature
FUNKbrs
FUNKbrs
  • Member since: Oct. 28, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to What If Love Isn't The Solution? Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 03:44 PM Reply

At 11/18/12 03:01 PM, JBK wrote: We?

It's spelled "oui" and it's french for "yes" but more importantly it's an inclusive first person plural pronoun in the english language.

Please keep in mind we all live in paradise... for a given value of "paradise".


My band Sin City ScoundrelsOur song Vixen of Doom
HATE.
Because 2,000 years of "For God so loved the world" doesn't trump 1.2 million years of "Survival of the Fittest."

sayomgwtf
sayomgwtf
  • Member since: Nov. 14, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Gamer
Response to What If Love Isn't The Solution? Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 03:54 PM Reply

At 11/18/12 03:01 PM, satanbrain wrote:
At 11/18/12 02:37 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: Love is the most natural painkiller on earth.
The most natural painkiller is death.

Death ends life, not love. Have you got any of your relatives (or whoever meant anything to you) die? Just because they died doesn't stop the feeling. Perhaps in a way I wish it would, may make mourning easier.

JBK
JBK
  • Member since: Jun. 15, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Gamer
Response to What If Love Isn't The Solution? Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 05:52 PM Reply

At 11/18/12 03:44 PM, FUNKbrs wrote:
At 11/18/12 03:01 PM, JBK wrote: We?
It's spelled "oui" and it's french for "yes" but more importantly it's an inclusive first person plural pronoun in the english language.

Please keep in mind we all live in paradise... for a given value of "paradise".

Nope.


"Even though you hate gays, believe in god, and dislike my posts, I still think you're cool"-FurryFox
"TarahlovesJBKscawk"-Tarah, "Those pants are just adorable"-Gagsy
Last.fm

BBS Signature
o0-0o
o0-0o
  • Member since: May. 7, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to What If Love Isn't The Solution? Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 05:54 PM Reply

At 11/18/12 12:43 PM, FBIpolux wrote: The obvious solution is to terminate all the Jews. Well call it the final solution.

Pretty much this.

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Member since: May. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to What If Love Isn't The Solution? Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 10:12 PM Reply

I feel love is a double edged sword. It has the power to turn your world dark and cruel but when its good its worth everything.


[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
BizzarroPMP
BizzarroPMP
  • Member since: Aug. 22, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to What If Love Isn't The Solution? Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 10:21 PM Reply

If you add two people together, love is the solution...cuz its addition...


Zeppelyn: Since when does the bladder control the "poo poo"?
convict357: Um, you mean you f*ck chickens, turkeys are male chickens.

BBS Signature
BizzarroPMP
BizzarroPMP
  • Member since: Aug. 22, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to What If Love Isn't The Solution? Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 10:42 PM Reply

I will now dissect the alleged "hypothesis"

At 11/18/12 11:35 AM, Slint wrote: I mean, what if it IS the problem?

To what?

You see it all around you, money is the root of all evil, power corrupts you, love is the only thing that can make it right?

Pithy quotes and proverbs. philosophic gobbledygook is a bad place to start out for a theory

But what if it isn't, and it's exactly the opposite? I mean, most crimes are commited in the name of love. Whether love for money, power, people.
Love is always there.

See, now you're changing your parameters. You can't change the definition midway between making your argument.
Also, cite your sources.

Truth is, I guess we wouldn't do very well without is as well. It's a bit confusing. I'm hoping you understand what I'm trying to say.

What say you, NG?

I say come up with a hypothesis with theories based on facts/objective data that can be measured/verified/tested. Einstein was smarter than Socrates.


Zeppelyn: Since when does the bladder control the "poo poo"?
convict357: Um, you mean you f*ck chickens, turkeys are male chickens.

BBS Signature
sayomgwtf
sayomgwtf
  • Member since: Nov. 14, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Gamer
Response to What If Love Isn't The Solution? Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 10:51 PM Reply

At 11/18/12 10:01 PM, SkeletonSoldier wrote: Love is a sanctuary for all hearts.

What a lovely thing to say

satanbrain
satanbrain
  • Member since: Dec. 6, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to What If Love Isn't The Solution? Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 10:55 PM Reply

At 11/18/12 03:54 PM, sayomgwtf wrote:
At 11/18/12 03:01 PM, satanbrain wrote:
At 11/18/12 02:37 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: Love is the most natural painkiller on earth.
The most natural painkiller is death.
Death ends life, not love.

So? Death can mollify every ailment. Love can't.


(הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים אָמַר קֹהֶלֶת, הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים הַכֹּל הָבֶל. דּוֹר הֹלֵךְ וְדוֹר בָּא, וְהָאָרֶץ לְעוֹלָם עֹמָדֶת. (קהלת א ג, ה

BBS Signature
sayomgwtf
sayomgwtf
  • Member since: Nov. 14, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Gamer
Response to What If Love Isn't The Solution? Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 11:20 PM Reply

At 11/18/12 10:55 PM, satanbrain wrote:
At 11/18/12 03:54 PM, sayomgwtf wrote:
At 11/18/12 03:01 PM, satanbrain wrote:
At 11/18/12 02:37 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: Love is the most natural painkiller on earth.
The most natural painkiller is death.
Death ends life, not love.
So? Death can mollify every ailment. Love can't.

My point was - just because life ends doesn't mean pain ends, it is very selfish to believe the only pain that exists is your own, everyone coexist with others that feel as well so when one is gone that never just ends there. So yeah, love is a coping technique for those who mourn.

satanbrain
satanbrain
  • Member since: Dec. 6, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to What If Love Isn't The Solution? Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 11:22 PM Reply

At 11/18/12 11:20 PM, sayomgwtf wrote:
My point was - just because life ends doesn't mean pain ends, it is very selfish to believe the only pain that exists is your own, everyone coexist with others that feel as well so when one is gone that never just ends there. So yeah, love is a coping technique for those who mourn.

The others can accompany you in your death. Then they would be relieved of it.


(הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים אָמַר קֹהֶלֶת, הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים הַכֹּל הָבֶל. דּוֹר הֹלֵךְ וְדוֹר בָּא, וְהָאָרֶץ לְעוֹלָם עֹמָדֶת. (קהלת א ג, ה

BBS Signature
sayomgwtf
sayomgwtf
  • Member since: Nov. 14, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Gamer
Response to What If Love Isn't The Solution? Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 11:32 PM Reply

At 11/18/12 11:22 PM, satanbrain wrote:
At 11/18/12 11:20 PM, sayomgwtf wrote:
My point was - just because life ends doesn't mean pain ends, it is very selfish to believe the only pain that exists is your own, everyone coexist with others that feel as well so when one is gone that never just ends there. So yeah, love is a coping technique for those who mourn.
The others can accompany you in your death. Then they would be relieved of it.

I'm not interested in suicide but thank you for sharing your fantastic and meaningful insight on love and death. I feel my life is so much better now after this wonderful discussion :3

Lintire
Lintire
  • Member since: Aug. 21, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to What If Love Isn't The Solution? Nov. 19th, 2012 @ 12:50 PM Reply

I'd say that desire is the cause of all man-made problems. Desire for wealth, power, love. Apathy never did anything to anybody.

Course desire is the cause of all achievements, too.

JBK
JBK
  • Member since: Jun. 15, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Gamer
Response to What If Love Isn't The Solution? Nov. 19th, 2012 @ 02:50 PM Reply

Seriously though, love has never been the solution to anything. It is simply an emotion and chemicals. People can't make themselves love eachother and it never solved anything. Tolerance and being a decent human being has nothing to do with love. You just try to make life more pleasant for yourself and everyone else.


"Even though you hate gays, believe in god, and dislike my posts, I still think you're cool"-FurryFox
"TarahlovesJBKscawk"-Tarah, "Those pants are just adorable"-Gagsy
Last.fm

BBS Signature
zyzy
zyzy
  • Member since: May. 30, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Musician
Response to What If Love Isn't The Solution? Nov. 19th, 2012 @ 02:53 PM Reply

love doesnt exist

SeekerFang17
SeekerFang17
  • Member since: Jun. 10, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Gamer
Response to What If Love Isn't The Solution? Nov. 19th, 2012 @ 02:56 PM Reply

Oh whats love got to do, got to do with it
What`s love but a second hand emotion
What`s love got to do, got to do with it
Who needs a heart
When a heart can be broken

TheLukeinator
TheLukeinator
  • Member since: Feb. 10, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Animator
Response to What If Love Isn't The Solution? Nov. 19th, 2012 @ 07:06 PM Reply

What if the solution depends on the situation?

HOLY FUCKING SHIT, MY BRAIN JUST BROKE.


"Don't worry honey, I won't fall asleep on the toilet." - Elvis Presley

FUNKbrs
FUNKbrs
  • Member since: Oct. 28, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to What If Love Isn't The Solution? Nov. 19th, 2012 @ 08:50 PM Reply

At 11/19/12 07:06 PM, TheLukeinator wrote: What if the solution depends on the situation?

HOLY FUCKING SHIT, MY BRAIN JUST BROKE.

Wait, what, you mean the world is complicated and there are no easy answers because people really just aren't as smart as they think they ought to be?

But then how can all the answers be in my 400 page Bible?


My band Sin City ScoundrelsOur song Vixen of Doom
HATE.
Because 2,000 years of "For God so loved the world" doesn't trump 1.2 million years of "Survival of the Fittest."