New Topic Respond to this Topic
Ultimate-fish
Ultimate-fish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Question about buying amps. Nov. 17th, 2012 @ 03:18 PM Reply

I've been a guitarist for a while now, and I'm thinking of moving off of my Marshall MG100FX onto something else. The amp's practically in pieces now, It's been through way more than what it should've been.

Anyhow, I'm on a budget that's pretty low for amp standards, £150. I prefer my cleans to heavy distortion, so buying a little blackstar doesn't sound too appealing. But any of you have any thoughts on anything else?

Don't eat drugs. Eat pizza.
I don't think I've ever jacked off to anything that wasn't mixed in with footage of alpacas - Entice

ChimeraNoise
ChimeraNoise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Question about buying amps. Nov. 17th, 2012 @ 03:52 PM Reply

At 11/17/12 03:18 PM, Ultimate-fish wrote: Marshall MG100FX

Is the MG100FX the combo version or the half stack?

BBS Signature
Ultimate-fish
Ultimate-fish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Question about buying amps. Nov. 17th, 2012 @ 03:58 PM Reply

At 11/17/12 03:52 PM, ChimeraNoise wrote:
At 11/17/12 03:18 PM, Ultimate-fish wrote: Marshall MG100FX
Is the MG100FX the combo version or the half stack?

Yup yup! I don't think they make this model of them anymore, so, it's older than the one's they make now, if they're made still.

I don't think I've ever jacked off to anything that wasn't mixed in with footage of alpacas - Entice

ChimeraNoise
ChimeraNoise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Question about buying amps. Nov. 17th, 2012 @ 04:03 PM Reply

At 11/17/12 03:58 PM, Ultimate-fish wrote:
At 11/17/12 03:52 PM, ChimeraNoise wrote: Is the MG100FX the combo version or the half stack?
Yup yup! I don't think they make this model of them anymore, so, it's older than the one's they make now, if they're made still.

Wait... So which one?

BBS Signature
Ultimate-fish
Ultimate-fish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Question about buying amps. Nov. 17th, 2012 @ 04:06 PM Reply

At 11/17/12 04:03 PM, ChimeraNoise wrote:
At 11/17/12 03:58 PM, Ultimate-fish wrote:
At 11/17/12 03:52 PM, ChimeraNoise wrote: Is the MG100FX the combo version or the half stack?
Wait... So which one?

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productId=38 THIS ONE XD Sorry about the confusion

ChimeraNoise
ChimeraNoise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Question about buying amps. Nov. 17th, 2012 @ 04:19 PM Reply

Aw.. That kind of sucks.. I never recommend combo amps to anyone. They're more expensive and you can't mix and match cabs.

A great amp on a small budget would be the Orange Micro Terror

There's really nothing in the price range that can compete in my opinion.

Here's a few decent demos.

BBS Signature
Ultimate-fish
Ultimate-fish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Question about buying amps. Nov. 17th, 2012 @ 04:27 PM Reply

I could live off of pot noodle for the next couple months if there's something that you would definitely recommend for maybe 100 quids more. Depends if it's really worth it. I'll go test that out tomorrow, though x3

ChimeraNoise
ChimeraNoise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Question about buying amps. Nov. 17th, 2012 @ 05:01 PM Reply

At 11/17/12 04:27 PM, Ultimate-fish wrote: I could live off of pot noodle for the next couple months if there's something that you would definitely recommend for maybe 100 quids more. Depends if it's really worth it. I'll go test that out tomorrow, though x3

I still recommend the head, Orange is great! And that store offers a 4 year warranty on it which will probably end up saving you later on.

The cab on the other hand, if you're willing dish out another 160+ quid (254 USD) I always recommend anything from Carvin

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Question about buying amps. Nov. 17th, 2012 @ 05:13 PM Reply

I have a Crate Blue Voodoo if you want, just £600.
8D

I doubt you'll get it on that budget though. :P

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
Megamannt92
Megamannt92
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Question about buying amps. Nov. 17th, 2012 @ 05:14 PM Reply

At 11/17/12 03:18 PM, Ultimate-fish wrote: I've been a guitarist for a while now, and I'm thinking of moving off of my Marshall MG100FX onto something else. The amp's practically in pieces now, It's been through way more than what it should've been.

Anyhow, I'm on a budget that's pretty low for amp standards, Ã'£150. I prefer my cleans to heavy distortion, so buying a little blackstar doesn't sound too appealing. But any of you have any thoughts on anything else?

A friend of mine let me borrow a Fender Mustang II amp and I'm having a hard time turning it off. Its got great presets for everything, anything from jazz to metal type stuff. They run for about 199$ new, but you can find them used for about 120$.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Mustang-II-40W-1x12-Guita r-Combo-Amp-106197148-i1557506.gc

Hey check out my music! Its guitarlicious or something.... Pirate Metal! | Rock with guest Female Vocalist

Ultimate-fish
Ultimate-fish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Question about buying amps. Nov. 17th, 2012 @ 05:21 PM Reply

At 11/17/12 05:14 PM, Megamannt92 wrote:
A friend of mine let me borrow a Fender Mustang II amp and I'm having a hard time turning it off. Its got great presets for everything, anything from jazz to metal type stuff. They run for about 199$ new, but you can find them used for about 120$.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Mustang-II-40W-1x12-Guita r-Combo-Amp-106197148-i1557506.gc

Yeah I've seen those around a lot, it almost looks like the only option for amps that price, but I'm quite scared of falling into the cheap fender trap of buying the name, not the sound e.e I guess it depends on personal preference. How do you think it'd work with a semi hollow? I've got a Gretsch Electromatic, how much feed back will I be expecting?

joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Question about buying amps. Nov. 17th, 2012 @ 06:45 PM Reply

At 11/17/12 04:19 PM, ChimeraNoise wrote: A great amp on a small budget would be the Orange Micro Terror

Seconded. The Orange stuff for the money in terms of amps is unbeatable honestly.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Question about buying amps. Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 12:29 AM Reply

Your budget's a little narrow. You won't find much better than the MArshall MG for ~100...pro level amps....you're gonna need like $500...now I don't know how much you care about "tone" (not really something I care about), but I think you'd need AT LEAST $500

ChimeraNoise
ChimeraNoise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Question about buying amps. Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 03:07 AM Reply

At 11/18/12 12:29 AM, LemonCrush wrote: now I don't know how much you care about "tone" (not really something I care about)

No offense, but if you don't understand the importance of tone. Should you really be giving advice?

BBS Signature
Ultimate-fish
Ultimate-fish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Question about buying amps. Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 06:36 AM Reply

At 11/18/12 03:07 AM, ChimeraNoise wrote:
At 11/18/12 12:29 AM, LemonCrush wrote: now I don't know how much you care about "tone" (not really something I care about)
No offense, but if you don't understand the importance of tone. Should you really be giving advice?

^This.

The Micro Terror sounds like it's gonna kick ass for it's size, and when it gets plugged into bigger cabs it produces some serious, serious tones. Possible the best thing around for £100 by the looks of it.

ChimeraNoise
ChimeraNoise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Question about buying amps. Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 10:48 AM Reply

At 11/18/12 06:36 AM, Ultimate-fish wrote:
The Micro Terror sounds like it's gonna kick ass for it's size, and when it gets plugged into bigger cabs it produces some serious, serious tones. Possible the best thing around for Ã'£100 by the looks of it.

I would start with the microstack, and then a few months down the line you can upgrade to a 2x12 and rock some faces!
Keep in mind your ohm load on the speakerbox vs. the amp head when you're going to buy that new cab though. I believe the Micro Terror is 8 ohms but I don't know if it's variable. (I doubt it.)

BBS Signature
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Question about buying amps. Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 12:00 PM Reply

At 11/18/12 03:07 AM, ChimeraNoise wrote: No offense, but if you don't understand the importance of tone. Should you really be giving advice?

I was giving advice based on the fact that he may not be a huge stickler for tone, and the fact that I know how tone stickler people are, and I was giving advice from that perspective.

Braiton
Braiton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Musician
Response to Question about buying amps. Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 12:20 PM Reply

At 11/18/12 12:00 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
At 11/18/12 03:07 AM, ChimeraNoise wrote: No offense, but if you don't understand the importance of tone. Should you really be giving advice?
I was giving advice based on the fact that he may not be a huge stickler for tone, and the fact that I know how tone stickler people are, and I was giving advice from that perspective.

If he didn't care about his tone he wouldn't be asking for advice in the first place. He would just get the first affordable amp to cross his way.

Just sayin'.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Question about buying amps. Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 12:45 PM Reply

At 11/18/12 12:20 PM, Braiton wrote:
If he didn't care about his tone he wouldn't be asking for advice in the first place. He would just get the first affordable amp to cross his way.

Just sayin'.

Exactly. Which is why I said an amp he would like is probably unattainable at $150

ChimeraNoise
ChimeraNoise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Question about buying amps. Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 01:55 PM Reply

At 11/18/12 12:45 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
Exactly. Which is why I said an amp he would like is probably unattainable at $150

Being one of those 'tone sticklers', I actually find the amp I recommended to be incredibly tonally versatile despite the low cost.

BBS Signature
HighBallers
HighBallers
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Question about buying amps. Nov. 19th, 2012 @ 12:29 PM Reply

two words CRAIGSLIST

....or is that classified as one word? well anyways you can get badass equipment for a 1/3 of the price. I seen a total kick butt 200 watts Randall combo amp for like 200 dollars. One of the loudest amps ever.....surprising over powered a lot of half stacks hahaha. Im sure you can find a badass amp on that site for like 150 dollars.

ChimeraNoise
ChimeraNoise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Question about buying amps. Nov. 19th, 2012 @ 01:30 PM Reply

At 11/19/12 12:29 PM, HighBallers wrote:
two words CRAIGSLIST

He's from Europe. Craigslist is American.

BBS Signature
parzo
parzo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Melancholy
Response to Question about buying amps. Nov. 19th, 2012 @ 03:38 PM Reply

At 11/17/12 03:18 PM, Ultimate-fish wrote: I've been a guitarist for a while now, and I'm thinking of moving off of my Marshall MG100FX onto something else. The amp's practically in pieces now, It's been through way more than what it should've been.

Anyhow, I'm on a budget that's pretty low for amp standards, Ãf'Ã'£150. I prefer my cleans to heavy distortion, so buying a little blackstar doesn't sound too appealing. But any of you have any thoughts on anything else?

I'd recommend the Mustang III if you intend on playing live at all. From what I've heard, the II lacks the power to cut through, and it isn't much more expensive. It's my personal recommendation.

HighBallers
HighBallers
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Question about buying amps. Nov. 19th, 2012 @ 03:54 PM Reply

At 11/19/12 01:30 PM, ChimeraNoise wrote:
At 11/19/12 12:29 PM, HighBallers wrote:
two words CRAIGSLIST
He's from Europe. Craigslist is American.

lol oh.

Megamannt92
Megamannt92
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Question about buying amps. Nov. 20th, 2012 @ 10:33 AM Reply

At 11/17/12 05:21 PM, Ultimate-fish wrote:

Yeah I've seen those around a lot, it almost looks like the only option for amps that price, but I'm quite scared of falling into the cheap fender trap of buying the name, not the sound e.e I guess it depends on personal preference. How do you think it'd work with a semi hollow? I've got a Gretsch Electromatic, how much feed back will I be expecting?

I understand you with the name thing. If I had not been given this thing I probably would not have tried it.(I usually use Vox amps) But its actually a pretty solid amp for the price, I was surprised.

As far as feedback goes, you should be ok as long as you don't stand too close to the amp when its cranked up. I plugged in a Rainsong acoustic and feedback wasn't bad.

Hey check out my music! Its guitarlicious or something.... Pirate Metal! | Rock with guest Female Vocalist

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Question about buying amps. Nov. 20th, 2012 @ 10:53 AM Reply

*BRAINWAVE*!

Get a Roland Cube amp!

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
Ultimate-fish
Ultimate-fish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Question about buying amps. Nov. 20th, 2012 @ 11:53 AM Reply

At 11/20/12 10:53 AM, MetalRenard wrote: *BRAINWAVE*!

Get a Roland Cube amp!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Roland-Cube-60-Amp-Amplifi er-Orange-w-Footswitch-Japan-MIJ-Excellent-/321023956806?pt=
LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abe84d746&_uhb=1

Should I be getting a boner over this?

ChimeraNoise
ChimeraNoise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Question about buying amps. Nov. 20th, 2012 @ 12:07 PM Reply

At 11/20/12 11:53 AM, Ultimate-fish wrote:
Should I be getting a boner over this?

Besides looking really cool. It doesn't really offer much. Save your boners for the Micro Terror lol

BBS Signature