New Topic Respond to this Topic
ManimeInfinite
ManimeInfinite
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Animation + College? Nov. 15th, 2012 @ 07:41 PM Reply

High school senior here, currently my life consists of lurking on this site and animation. Does anyone here have any opinions on majoring in animation? Do you have experience and what is the pay?

Feel free to crush my dreams.

NEVER FORGET.

BBS Signature
Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Animation + College? Nov. 15th, 2012 @ 07:43 PM Reply

Based off of what I've heard: Go to a traditional college instead of an art-specific school, you have to take core classes but there's more chances for scholarship and stuff and if you change your mind about the major or school you can transfer credits.

Otto
Otto
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Animation + College? Nov. 15th, 2012 @ 07:44 PM Reply

I actually plan to study Computer Animation Arts (BA Hons) at Bournemouth University. Sadly I don't have the range of this course that you have in America, but this one is pretty globally recognised I suppose.

If you have a very strong life drawing folder and good understanding of animation, and you actually love it, then please do it!

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature
MKzero
MKzero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Animation + College? Nov. 15th, 2012 @ 07:46 PM Reply

When you graduate get a job and keep practicing the animation for a few years.

Don't.

Go.

To.

College.

Right after HS.

Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Animation + College? Nov. 15th, 2012 @ 07:48 PM Reply

At 11/15/12 07:46 PM, MKzero wrote: Don't.

Go.

To.

College.

Right after HS.

Why?

Most people that don't go to college right after high school don't go to college period.

ManimeInfinite
ManimeInfinite
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Animation + College? Nov. 15th, 2012 @ 07:48 PM Reply

At 11/15/12 07:43 PM, Entice wrote: Based off of what I've heard: Go to a traditional college instead of an art-specific school, you have to take core classes but there's more chances for scholarship and stuff and if you change your mind about the major or school you can transfer credits.

I wasn't planning on going to an art-specific school as I am familiar with the for profit shams. As my grades stand currently I'll end up at a community college and I know they offer classes in the arts. I don't want to be that guy with a liberal arts major-- and a job at McDonalds.

NEVER FORGET.

BBS Signature
ManimeInfinite
ManimeInfinite
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Animation + College? Nov. 15th, 2012 @ 07:49 PM Reply

At 11/15/12 07:46 PM, MKzero wrote: When you graduate get a job and keep practicing the animation for a few years.

Don't.

Go.

To.

College.

Right after HS.

I already have a job. I appreciate your advice and will take heed to your warning as I cannot muster the 8 hours necessary to create decent fbf animation.

NEVER FORGET.

BBS Signature
ManimeInfinite
ManimeInfinite
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Animation + College? Nov. 15th, 2012 @ 07:53 PM Reply

At 11/15/12 07:44 PM, Otto wrote: I actually plan to study Computer Animation Arts (BA Hons) at Bournemouth University. Sadly I don't have the range of this course that you have in America, but this one is pretty globally recognised I suppose.

If you have a very strong life drawing folder and good understanding of animation, and you actually love it, then please do it!

That's what I will never understand. I would say that I am above average in drawing and have some moderation within my sketchbook but If I was that good their would be no need to go to an art school. I have lots of drawing books though I've pretty much mastered anatomy and perspective. I am currently stuck on shading/life drawing.

NEVER FORGET.

BBS Signature
ManimeInfinite
ManimeInfinite
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Animation + College? Nov. 15th, 2012 @ 09:36 PM Reply

That's what I will never understand. I would say that I am above average in drawing and have some moderation within my sketchbook but If I was that good their would be no need to go to an art school. I have lots of drawing books though I've pretty much mastered anatomy and perspective. I am currently stuck on shading/life drawing.

Dear god that is horribly written.

NEVER FORGET.

BBS Signature
MKzero
MKzero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Animation + College? Nov. 15th, 2012 @ 09:39 PM Reply

At 11/15/12 07:48 PM, Entice wrote:

Go.

To.

College.

Right after HS.
Why?

Most people that don't go to college right after high school don't go to college period.

That is a lie you've been fed by corporations looking to get under student loan debt as quickly as possible before YOU SPEND YEARS WORKING AND SAVING UP MONEY.

Most people who don't go to college right after high school...Go later.

Boss
Boss
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Animation + College? Nov. 15th, 2012 @ 10:18 PM Reply

dont go to college you silly cog live in the city hungry and poor then u r truly freedawg

I'm an instigator

BBS Signature
Saen
Saen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Reader
Response to Animation + College? Nov. 15th, 2012 @ 10:28 PM Reply

At 11/15/12 07:48 PM, Entice wrote:

Go.

To.

College.

Right after HS.
Why?

True. Also if you don't go to college right after high school, your AP/ACT test scores may expire, you dual-enrollment credits may expire, you lose eligibility for most scholarships you gained access to in high school, your academic knowledge is more likely to fade, tuition rates wil rise more the longer you wait, admission requirements will rise the longer you wait, the list goes on.

The dumbest thing you can do is not dive into college, even if it's community college, right after high school.

DarkMatter
DarkMatter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to Animation + College? Nov. 16th, 2012 @ 07:54 PM Reply

At 11/15/12 07:41 PM, AdeebX wrote: High school senior here, currently my life consists of lurking on this site and animation. Does anyone here have any opinions on majoring in animation? Do you have experience and what is the pay?

It's probably one of the more sound art careers out there pay wise, it's just the workload you gotta have love for in order to do it.

I'm currently an art major concentrating in animation, but TBH I wish I did more animating in HS before I got to college. I did some, but compared to some of my friends who have landed their first job as cleanup artists, I haven't done shit.

Basically what you want to do Is learn how to animate well, which means practice practice practice and reading from the greats like Texas Avery. If you can get into a college with a good art program, go for it, but don't exhaust your wallet too much. I got accepted into a school that was Just for animation, but it cost like 40k a year! and I could get a scholarship for like 12k a year. Didn't do it, went to a Cal state with a great art college for alot cheaper, still expensive but I'm less fucked.

Once your a senior in college your gonna wanna start looking for an internship to an animation studio, which basically means your working an intro level job for free. My buddy started as a cleanup artist, and he's still doing that. So basically, you start low, and work your way up to being an animator, but you gotta already be a decent animator to get in the front door, so that's where learning b4 college helps.

In the end, you don't HAVE to go to college to become an animator. In fact there are alot of very successful animators that don't have a college diploma. Your diploma will ultimately give you more options in the work world, say you get tired of working as an animator, you can get a job as a teacher much easier with an art degree and perhaps a masters degree but that's if you want to teach college level. And a college diploma looks really good on any resume, once again making your time in the work force more flexible.

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THAT DUDE WITH THE RED HAT BROWN TRENCH COAT AND SHOTGUN?!?! I miss the old ASSASSIN days. Click Me

BBS Signature
Ilssm
Ilssm
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 08
Filmmaker
Response to Animation + College? Nov. 16th, 2012 @ 08:31 PM Reply

I was think about going for a degree in animation, but then I realized that I'd probably just end up working for a company like Disney, Cartoon Network, Nick, etc. ( Okay maybe not that well known ), but I'd basically just be told what to draw, when to draw it and how. I realized that that's not really what I want to do, I'd rather make my own ideas as a screenwriter or something.

But if you want to I'd so go for it, it'd probably be a really good career.

I make animations with MsPaint. Does this shit still matter?

Also Omega Team.

BBS Signature
Dawnslayer
Dawnslayer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Animation + College? Nov. 16th, 2012 @ 10:11 PM Reply

Do not go to community college for animation. I tried it and it was disastrous; there's no job market for two-year art students (even four-year students have a lot of competition), and I can't get by on entry-level work because no entry-level employer wants to hire a college graduate.

If you're serious about animation, go to a four-year college and get a Bachelor's degree, or get your basic required classes from community college and transfer the credits to a four-year. But DO NOT SETTLE FOR AN ASSOCIATE'S IN ARTS. It will get you nowhere but the Social Security office.

Novymation
Novymation
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Animation + College? Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 06:30 PM Reply

I started college last a few months ago and i didnt major in animation despite having a huge passion for it. Ive been regretting it the minute i stepped on that campus. Im considering transferring to cal state fullerton so i can minor in it and major in something that can serve as a back up.

My advice would be minor in animation so you are practicing your passion while also having a viable back up plan.

DarkMatter
DarkMatter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to Animation + College? Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 06:37 PM Reply

At 11/15/12 07:41 PM, AdeebX wrote: High school senior here, currently my life consists of lurking on this site and animation. Does anyone here have any opinions on majoring in animation? Do you have experience and what is the pay?

currently majoring in animation, had the pleasure of meeting a lot of awesome artists, some of which I've known from their work before I even met them.

College isn't for everybody, ultimately you gotta learn how to animate, that's all really. But college is also really cool, and a diploma helps increase your flexibility in the job market. I'm about 3/4 of the way done with college, but I got a lot of work to do animation wise.

My advice is to enroll in college as a freshman, and give it a chance, I must warn you though that's why some professors are just downright dicks, freshman classes are kind of like highschool, most teachers take attendance for points, group activities, yeah they can suck sometimes and be sweet it depends on the teacher and the class.

Either way dude, just draw, draw, draw, and animate, animate, animate. That's what I'm having trouble with.

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THAT DUDE WITH THE RED HAT BROWN TRENCH COAT AND SHOTGUN?!?! I miss the old ASSASSIN days. Click Me

BBS Signature