New Topic Respond to this Topic
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Reaper Trial Now 60 Days. Nov. 15th, 2012 @ 06:44 PM Reply

For all of you interested in trying out REAPER or getting started with music, they just changed their policy to allow for a 60 day trial period.
Since I'm such a fan-boy of REAPER I thought I'd get the word out there for them. A license is just $60 if you're a beginner or semi-pro.
http://www.reaper.fm/index.php

:)

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out!
Veteran REAPER user.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Reaper Trial Now 60 Days. Nov. 16th, 2012 @ 01:16 AM Reply

I've been using reaper for 3 years on a trial period (they call it evaluation period, same thing really). If the trial is 60 days now that's actually a downgrade and means I'm gonna be in even more debt now that I have to pay for fixing my pc AND buying reaper.

Cause debt is always fun.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Reaper Trial Now 60 Days. Nov. 16th, 2012 @ 05:47 AM Reply

How is that a down-grade? It's still unlimited... It just means there's less pressure on people to buy it so quickly.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out!
Veteran REAPER user.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Reaper Trial Now 60 Days. Nov. 16th, 2012 @ 06:44 AM Reply

At 11/16/12 05:47 AM, MetalRenard wrote: How is that a down-grade? It's still unlimited... It just means there's less pressure on people to buy it so quickly.

More, you mean, because the original trial period was unlimited.

AMDG ✝

NGADM Round 1 Entry: Oceans Wide

BBS Signature
Braiton
Braiton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Musician
Response to Reaper Trial Now 60 Days. Nov. 16th, 2012 @ 08:26 AM Reply

At 11/16/12 06:44 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
At 11/16/12 05:47 AM, MetalRenard wrote: down-grade? It's still unlimited...

Not anymore apparently.

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Reaper Trial Now 60 Days. Nov. 16th, 2012 @ 08:32 AM Reply

No you've all misunderstood.
http://www.reaper.fm/purchase.php

It is NOT crippled in any way. The trial used to be just 30 days. Now it's 60.
Doesn't mean it stops working after 60 days either. -_-

Veteran REAPER user.

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Reaper Trial Now 60 Days. Nov. 16th, 2012 @ 08:33 AM Reply

At 11/16/12 06:44 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: More, you mean, because the original trial period was unlimited.

The trial period has never been unlimited. It just doesn't stop working after the period passes. You should still buy the software after, they just don't stop you from using it despite that. It's your choice to buy it or continue to use it, and I think this is very kind of them to allow for this.

Veteran REAPER user.

bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Reaper Trial Now 60 Days. Nov. 16th, 2012 @ 09:45 AM Reply

I'm a huge fan of what Reaper is trying to do. If I had time to learn a new DAW I would probably head in that direction. The whole set-up is just so foreign to me as a user.

Braiton
Braiton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Musician
Response to Reaper Trial Now 60 Days. Nov. 16th, 2012 @ 10:00 AM Reply

At 11/16/12 08:33 AM, MetalRenard wrote:
At 11/16/12 06:44 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: More, you mean, because the original trial period was unlimited.
The trial period has never been unlimited. It just doesn't stop working after the period passes. You should still buy the software after, they just don't stop you from using it despite that. It's your choice to buy it or continue to use it, and I think this is very kind of them to allow for this.

Yeah like you mentioned, it has never been unlimited. Letting the trial work for indefinite amounts of time was not intentional. Apparently, with this update they fixed that and extended it to 60 days to "make up for it". Or so that's what I've heard.

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Reaper Trial Now 60 Days. Nov. 16th, 2012 @ 10:37 AM Reply

At 11/16/12 10:00 AM, Braiton wrote: Yeah like you mentioned, it has never been unlimited. Letting the trial work for indefinite amounts of time was not intentional. Apparently, with this update they fixed that and extended it to 60 days to "make up for it". Or so that's what I've heard.

Heard or tried for yourself? As far as I can tell on their site it's still unlimited in that respect...

Veteran REAPER user.

Braiton
Braiton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Musician
Response to Reaper Trial Now 60 Days. Nov. 16th, 2012 @ 03:02 PM Reply

At 11/16/12 10:37 AM, MetalRenard wrote:
At 11/16/12 10:00 AM, Braiton wrote: Yeah like you mentioned, it has never been unlimited. Letting the trial work for indefinite amounts of time was not intentional. Apparently, with this update they fixed that and extended it to 60 days to "make up for it". Or so that's what I've heard.
Heard or tried for yourself? As far as I can tell on their site it's still unlimited in that respect...

Read different comments of different people in different forums that stated that. And as far as I know Cockos have never officially mentioned in their site that the trial was unlimited (in duration), before and after the update.

Besides it would make no sense to "extend" the duration of a trial that was "supposed" to never expire.
But I guess the only way to find out is to wait 60 days until someone's evaluation period is over.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Reaper Trial Now 60 Days. Nov. 16th, 2012 @ 03:49 PM Reply

The evaluation period was unlimited in both functionality and time, and it acknowledged this right in the "buy me" dialog that popped up every single time you open the program. I've been using it a long time, I'm not making anything up for the sake of argument, that is how it was.

I'm not complaining either, I would need to buy it soon either way as I'm using it to record the metal portion of my album and I can't sell anything recorded in the program until I at least get the discounted license.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
Gario
Gario
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Reaper Trial Now 60 Days. Nov. 19th, 2012 @ 01:39 PM Reply

The only difference between the trial and evaluation periods (which has no time limit) is that one has no pop-up telling you to purchase the licence. That non-reminder period has been extended to 60 days. Um, good, I guess?

I don't really thing that's huge news, as long as the product remains free after the period is over.

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.