New Topic Respond to this Topic
bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Problem with Audio Clipping Nov. 15th, 2012 @ 02:45 AM Reply

Hey guys. I'm getting a headache here, maybe someone can explain this to me.

My song Pandora has some clipping near the end at the loudest part of the track, but this isn't found in my .wav file or even on my .mp3 file on my computer.

I have a .mp3 file of this song on my computer that has no clipping issues at all, but when I upload it to Newgrounds the problem arises. Is this because of a problem with the sampling rate? I bounced it at 48 kHz, instead of the 44.1 khz that Newgrounds says is necessary. Could that be my issue? (because all of my songs are at 48 kHz and this is the only one that has the issue)

Can't figure this one out. I'm a Pro Tools user if that makes any difference.

bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Problem with Audio Clipping Nov. 15th, 2012 @ 03:38 AM Reply

Oooooorrrr maybe it's just as simple as Newgrounds not updating my audio in realtime.

*facepalm*

Feel free to lock this one up.

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Problem with Audio Clipping Nov. 15th, 2012 @ 05:30 AM Reply

I don't know about ProTool's inner workings but this may be due to clipping elsewhere in your track. Is one of your effects pumping in the red? Is your compressor working too fast and causing distortion as it jumps over the threshold because of that? is one of your tracks hitting the red before going to the master?

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out!
Veteran REAPER user.

bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Problem with Audio Clipping Nov. 15th, 2012 @ 07:15 AM Reply

At 11/15/12 05:30 AM, MetalRenard wrote: I don't know about ProTool's inner workings but this may be due to clipping elsewhere in your track. Is one of your effects pumping in the red? Is your compressor working too fast and causing distortion as it jumps over the threshold because of that? is one of your tracks hitting the red before going to the master?

The problem was actually with a rendered portion of audio that had no issues until after I compressed it from the .wav file to a .mp3 file. I think the problem was with the file converter, not the actual levels in the track. I reconverted the .wav file with Lame and it did the trick, but there was a lag before I could hear my updated file playing on Newgrounds.

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Problem with Audio Clipping Nov. 15th, 2012 @ 07:55 AM Reply

Oh I see.
What bitrate did you render to? Can I hear the file please?

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out!
Veteran REAPER user.

eppskevin
eppskevin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Problem with Audio Clipping Nov. 15th, 2012 @ 08:17 AM Reply

I'm interested in hearing as well.

A tribute to the Ace Attorney Series and OST. I have so much respect for both of those, that I decided to start my own Remix series.

Here is the link to Volume 1

BBS Signature
joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Problem with Audio Clipping Nov. 15th, 2012 @ 09:10 AM Reply

Low bitrate mp3s can actually cause +1db overs or even slightly more upon encoding. The lower the bitrate, the more likely you are to have distortion on the mp3 export if you've limited heavily at digital zero on the track in your DAW.

I've seen +1.5 - 1.7db peaks over what the original uncompressed file contained when going to 128kbps mp3.

joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Problem with Audio Clipping Nov. 15th, 2012 @ 09:11 AM Reply

At 11/15/12 02:45 AM, bassfiddlejones wrote:

I bounced it at 48 kHz, instead of the 44.1 khz that Newgrounds says is necessary. Could that be my issue? (because all of my songs are at 48 kHz and this is the only one that has the issue)

Yeah, don't bounce at 48khz. There really is almost never any reason to export any file at 48khz. Then you just have to resample later on.

bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Problem with Audio Clipping Nov. 15th, 2012 @ 09:22 AM Reply

This is the song I'm talking about:

• Pandora
    Pandora by bassfiddlejones

Chaos

Score
    4.23 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Drum N Bass
    Popularity

The clipping is cleaned up though - rendered to 320 kbps using Audacity and Lame, seemed to do the trick.