Kaizerwolf
Kaizerwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Moving On Nov. 13th, 2012 @ 11:13 AM Reply

Hey guys, long time no see.

I've been drifting away from Newgrounds for a few months now. I haven't posted much on the forums, I've sparsely uploaded.. I'm just losing time and moving on. I know this will be the weirdest place to post all of this, but maybe some of you kids can help me out.

I'm stuck. I'm writing out short songs, maybe 3 to 4 minutes, and I find I'm unable to finish them. The quality is a lot better than what I used to upload, but I just don't know where to go with them. Maybe I'm in the wrong genre, maybe not, but I feel like I'm in this huge rut that I can't get out of. So the first question is, what do you all do when you're stuck? I know that listening to as much music as possible is good, and I have been, but what else is there?

My second question has to do with networking. I'm obviously really bad at that, because my followings on other sites are low. I have a Facebook page, and a Soundcloud, and a Youtube, but the follow counts are all so low, despite my best efforts in trying to network. Does anyone have any advice?

My third question is, if I want to attempt to release a small album or EP, what is the best way to go about this? I'm looking at 3-5 psychedelic trance songs, but then again, it isn't the most popular genre out there. Popularity isn't my concern here, this question just goes hand in hand with networking.

Thanks for the long read, if anyone stuck through it.

-Kw

How about you join the NGPD? Just what is the Newgrounds Police Dept.? Click the link and find out for yourself!

BBS Signature
jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Moving On Nov. 13th, 2012 @ 11:23 AM Reply

there's a fairly big psytrance community on soundcloud, you just gotta find it.

you've had an account for over a year, but you've barely commented on anyone elses music? attention doesn't tend to just come by itself. find some psytrance tunes you like and leave some comments. just keep doing this. it aint rocket science.

Tanadrine-Studios
Tanadrine-Studios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Animator
Response to Moving On Nov. 13th, 2012 @ 12:12 PM Reply

It shouldn't be a question as to whether to move on from NG, but rather, whether to expand your network.

By "network" I mean actual people... not just places to post your work. Find the work of people who inspire you and let them know it... you might be surprised at just how far this can take you.

You could also try offering your talents towards video content. A lot of music can get noticed in the form of video if it is good enough.

MobiusIII
MobiusIII
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Moving On Nov. 14th, 2012 @ 12:18 AM Reply

I've recently been having the same problems when it comes to finishing problems, the networking thing too. Producing a not-so-mainstream genre like psytrance is going to struggle finding a huge online fanbase - (I do trance and liquid DnB, I can relate). I'd say start networking in the real world if you havent started already, burn some CDs and hand them out to friends or strangers, if they like it, they will probably look you up online later. This approach has had some success for me, i go to a Uni where it seems everyone is a dj somehow. As for idea inspiration? Just keep listening to good music that inspires an idea, it feels like copying when I do start like this, but its amazing to watch how it becomes my own creation by the time its done.

jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Moving On Nov. 14th, 2012 @ 12:34 AM Reply

as long as the production stands out, no one gives two shits what genre you make on soundcloud.