Cons14
Cons14
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Artist
I would like general critique. Nov. 12th, 2012 @ 11:05 PM Reply

Hi,

I've been on Newgrounds for a little over 5 years and I've gotten the best (and definitely worst) critique on my artwork over that course of time from this site.

I'm a senior in high school and I've been accepted to the Savannah College of Art and Design. I've even already spent 5 weeks on the campus and took drawing 1 and design 1. The only problem about this school is it's super expensive and a good portfolio will get me a lot of scholarship money.

So I'm hoping I can get some general critique on my artwork involving any sort of flaws I might be consistently making or really anything that stands out as weird or unfit. I'd like to be able to submit the best possible portfolio I can so I'm able to get a degree at one of the best art schools in the world (statistically).

http://cons14.newgrounds.com/art/
I will be including most of these in my portfolio, and they're in order from newest (The white, pearly dragon) to oldest. I've used Photoshop for a couple years and I'm pretty fluent with using it. SCAD stresses quality of quantity and quality over variety, so no they don't mind if my portfolio is a bunch of dragons instead of still-life studies and portraits (Which I have done already in the drawing class I mentioned above). Other than that, I don't care if anything you say is awesomely positive or brutally harsh, as long as it's helpful.

I also apologize if this thread isn't following a proper etiquette.. I may have been on newgrounds for a while, but my forum knowledge is super limited.

Nothing to see here... Yet....

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Artist
Response to I would like general critique. Nov. 12th, 2012 @ 11:48 PM Reply

Well, you should start posting your pieces here as well as links to them in the art portal.

Post your wips, post your sketches and doodles. Post it all. It will all help us get a good handle on you and get you much more feedback.
So Yeah buddy, stat posting, and we'll start critiquing.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
Cons14
Cons14
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Artist
Response to I would like general critique. Nov. 13th, 2012 @ 01:02 AM Reply

At 11/12/12 11:48 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: Well, you should start posting your pieces here as well as links to them in the art portal.

Post your wips, post your sketches and doodles. Post it all. It will all help us get a good handle on you and get you much more feedback.
So Yeah buddy, stat posting, and we'll start critiquing.

I can certainly do that. Tomorrow I'll post a flood of sketches from my sketchbook as well as the linework I have for my newest project.

I also looked at some of the messages you added on my page and I appreciate it. =)

Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to I would like general critique. Nov. 13th, 2012 @ 01:20 AM Reply

I've always been a fan of your work from way back when you did a piece for my alien collab. I see from your newer posts that you have improved quite a bit. Keep it up.

I said no to drugs but they just wouldn't listen.
Like Page///Art Thread///Latest Art Piece

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to I would like general critique. Nov. 13th, 2012 @ 07:50 PM Reply

Your shading seems a little soft to me, but overall, I like the cartoony look of your creatures. They remind me of Akira Toriyama's work to be quite honest. Quite a legacy to live up to, eh chap?

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
Cons14
Cons14
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Artist
Response to I would like general critique. Nov. 13th, 2012 @ 10:52 PM Reply

At 11/13/12 01:20 AM, Decky wrote: I've always been a fan of your work from way back when you did a piece for my alien collab. I see from your newer posts that you have improved quite a bit. Keep it up.

Thanks Decky! It's been what's almost 2 years of mental breakdowns, soul-crushing truth, and amazing inspirational journeys since I drew that alien for the collab. If you ever plan on making a version 2 or a similar collab let me know! =D

At 11/13/12 07:50 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: Your shading seems a little soft to me, but overall, I like the cartoony look of your creatures. They remind me of Akira Toriyama's work to be quite honest. Quite a legacy to live up to, eh chap?

I did a Google quest to find out who that is. I see a lot of Dragon Ball stuff. I'm flattered that you're comparing me to a unique style, but I honestly don't see the resemblance. I never even source anime in general when I'm looking for inspiration. I think it's the eyes though that make people say stuff like that. Eyes make all the difference.. ><o>_<o><

Aside from that, I have some sketches I made for my newest project. I have this weird tendency to swap landscapes after a certain time and I've been focused out high peaks and clouds. So I've started on sort of a Nessie-like creature but it flies instead of swims. Any thoughts on color palettes or general anything would be great. (The top sketch was a warm-up mostly.. I don't want the body to look like that.)

I would like general critique.

PedroTorres
PedroTorres
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to I would like general critique. Nov. 16th, 2012 @ 09:25 AM Reply

I don´t know if I'm right but I noticed that you had a more realistic style (talking about the dragons, not the background) on your earlier works that gradually became more "cartoonish". I Like both styles but I think you have to know when to use each one depending on the theme of the drawing and the feelings you want to pass. In my opinion cartoons fit better with funny or light themes, not epic or dramatic ones.
Your drawing of the baby dragon in my opinion is the one where theme and style fits better, because most of the beauty of it (for me) is in the innocence and simplicity of childhood, light themes. I can imagine this little dragon as a character from the old Disney's cartoon "Silly Simphonies".
I also liked the drawing of the dragon drinking water, the patterns and collors of the scales were really convincing.
FInally, I think you should work a bit more on your backgrounds (and they have already improved a lot since your first subimmit), unfortunally I can't be more specific about this topic because it's something I also need to improve on my own drawings...

Cons14
Cons14
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Artist
Response to I would like general critique. Nov. 16th, 2012 @ 05:38 PM Reply

At 11/16/12 09:25 AM, PedroTorres wrote: I donÃ'´t know if I'm right but I noticed that you had a more realistic style (talking about the dragons, not the background) on your earlier works that gradually became more "cartoonish". I Like both styles but I think you have to know when to use each one depending on the theme of the drawing and the feelings you want to pass. In my opinion cartoons fit better with funny or light themes, not epic or dramatic ones.
Your drawing of the baby dragon in my opinion is the one where theme and style fits better, because most of the beauty of it (for me) is in the innocence and simplicity of childhood, light themes. I can imagine this little dragon as a character from the old Disney's cartoon "Silly Simphonies".
I also liked the drawing of the dragon drinking water, the patterns and collors of the scales were really convincing.
FInally, I think you should work a bit more on your backgrounds (and they have already improved a lot since your first subimmit), unfortunally I can't be more specific about this topic because it's something I also need to improve on my own drawings...

I'm having difficulty finding ways to improve from so many "In my own opinions". No need to hide behind "I think" statements. I find it hard to take critiques like that seriously.

But thanks anyway... I appreciate it nevertheless. I've always tried to get away with sloppy backgrounds, but I guess I need to stop doing that.

But, so it doesn't bug me, the two drawings you mentioned aren't dragons, they're both gryphons. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gryphon

Shayl
Shayl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to I would like general critique. Nov. 16th, 2012 @ 06:31 PM Reply

At 11/16/12 05:38 PM, Cons14 wrote:
At 11/16/12 09:25 AM, PedroTorres wrote: I donÃf'Ã'´t know if I'm right but I noticed that you had a more realistic style (talking about the dragons, not the background) on your earlier works that gradually became more "cartoonish". I Like both styles but I think you have to know when to use each one depending on the theme of the drawing and the feelings you want to pass. In my opinion cartoons fit better with funny or light themes, not epic or dramatic ones.
I'm having difficulty finding ways to improve from so many "In my own opinions". No need to hide behind "I think" statements. I find it hard to take critiques like that seriously.

But thanks anyway... I appreciate it nevertheless. I've always tried to get away with sloppy backgrounds, but I guess I need to stop doing that.

But, so it doesn't bug me, the two drawings you mentioned aren't dragons, they're both gryphons. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gryphon

hey dude, take what criticism you can get. I don't see your point in criticizing him for saying "I think" because art is subjective you know? He wouldn't have said it if he didn't mean it, he's just trying to be polite.

Just sayin'. It's hard enough as it is to get people to do critiques on this forum without people critiquing the critique.

Cons14
Cons14
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Artist
Response to I would like general critique. Nov. 16th, 2012 @ 07:31 PM Reply

I appreciated the critique.. and I wasn't getting defensive about the artwork, chill. The "I think" statements are simply a shyness thing and I was really trying to encourage him to be more confident about it.

PedroTorres
PedroTorres
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to I would like general critique. Nov. 17th, 2012 @ 11:23 AM Reply

At 11/16/12 05:38 PM, Cons14 wrote:
At 11/16/12 09:25 AM, PedroTorres wrote: I donÃf'Ã'´t know if I'm right but I noticed that you had a more realistic style (talking about the dragons, not the background) on your earlier works that gradually became more "cartoonish". I Like both styles but I think you have to know when to use each one depending on the theme of the drawing and the feelings you want to pass. In my opinion cartoons fit better with funny or light themes, not epic or dramatic ones.

Well, I really used "I Think" too many times, not because I'm shy or polite, it's just that I'm not a native English speaker so my range of vocabulary is not big. I would be a lot more clear and my critique would be a lot more useful if it I wrote it in portuguese

About the difference about dragons and gryphons, yes, that was a stupid mistake, but my opinion doesn't change...
I'm sorry I couldn't be more useful, but as I said it was a problem of language

Cons14
Cons14
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Artist
Response to I would like general critique. Nov. 17th, 2012 @ 11:48 AM Reply

It's all good! Heh, sorry about that. I'll just say it has happened a lot in the past and I do occasionally get mixed up between foreign-speaking people and people who I mistook you as.

And I appreciate anyone who takes the time to look and provide feedback for my art. And it is helpful, I assure you. =)