New Topic Respond to this Topic
MobiusIII
MobiusIII
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Why do people listen, but not vote? 2012-11-12 22:14:54 Reply

This is not a gripe thread. That said, I've recently posted some new tracks after like a year-long hiatus from NG, and the reception has been better than I've ever experienced. Within a few days of posting ive gotten lots of listens and even reviews I didnt have to ask for(!)... but only 5 people bothered to vote! I'd be interested to hear what people think about why that is, and whether its something worth looking at. Maybe voting needs a better incentive? Maybe people just dont like me :P ?

ZipZipper
ZipZipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Why do people listen, but not vote? 2012-11-12 22:27:04 Reply

...it's possible to know the amount of people who voted on your songs?

To answer the question, perhaps no one bothers because at the end of the day it's just a number. Or they just don't bother because they hear the song for a couple seconds and then move on to the next one without any further thought.

Like Spongebob memeously said: Nobody cares

BBS Signature
MobiusIII
MobiusIII
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Why do people listen, but not vote? 2012-11-12 22:35:23 Reply

At 11/12/12 10:27 PM, ZipZipper wrote: ...it's possible to know the amount of people who voted on your songs?

To answer the question, perhaps no one bothers because at the end of the day it's just a number. Or they just don't bother because they hear the song for a couple seconds and then move on to the next one without any further thought.

Like Spongebob memeously said: Nobody cares

You could be right. But then, people sure seemed to care when they got 0-bombed into obscurity by jackasses. Not to say anything about the quality of my work in general, but doesn't a song's score - which is determined by votes- effect its general visibility by the NG community? And you can see how many votes your songs get, mouse over the score on a song page and see.

ZipZipper
ZipZipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Why do people listen, but not vote? 2012-11-12 22:44:41 Reply

Ohhhmmmgaaahh I can see the amount of votes!!!

And yeah...I dunno how much it affects exposing your work here. But of course people get mad when they're zeroed. But that only spreads more heartless zeros, not critical voting. Idk. I just think people don't care to vote unless they really like it or really hate it. Probably differs from user to user.

BBS Signature
dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Why do people listen, but not vote? 2012-11-13 19:10:02 Reply

'Cause they are lazy. Some even rather downloads your music than actually spend time to rate it. It is impossible to know the person who visited was also the person who 'might' rated you. So relax and ignore the rating thing.

Sometime we also question why there are songs have more downloads than listens... Same shit, different days.

What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
la-yinn
la-yinn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to Why do people listen, but not vote? 2012-11-13 20:36:03 Reply

At 11/13/12 07:10 PM, dem0lecule wrote:
Sometime we also question why there are songs have more downloads than listens... Same shit, different days.

I thought this had something to do with the way people used to incorporate tracks into flash though? Something with it being downloaded each time it got loaded up into one of those rhythm games for example.

Might be wrong about that though, never really got a definitive awnser on that..

Latest tracks:
Sub Marines
Chemosound

dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Why do people listen, but not vote? 2012-11-13 21:34:29 Reply

At 11/13/12 08:36 PM, la-yinn wrote:
At 11/13/12 07:10 PM, dem0lecule wrote:
I thought this had something to do with the way people used to incorporate tracks into flash though? Something with it being downloaded each time it got loaded up into one of those rhythm games for example.

I once thought that was the answer too until I encountered new submissions get 2 times more downloads than listens. Never been used in flash or get notice by other... The mystery goes on...

Might be wrong about that though, never really got a definitive awnser on that..

Ya, it's just so weird. My brain now also insists that it was the NG system glitch, but hell if this is really true.

BBS Signature
DivoFST
DivoFST
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Why do people listen, but not vote? 2012-11-13 21:40:56 Reply

:when they got 0-bombed into obscurity by jackasses

I don't think that's true, music will eventually fade into obscurity no matter what.
From my experience without a solid fan base or special events (being in a flash, contest, featured) you have about 2 to 3 days to expect Reviews and to be heard, from that point forward you will get seldom visits to the song.

:doesn't a song's score - which is determined by votes- effect its general visibility by the NG community?

Nope, it is one of the things people just don't care at all, you can just vote yourself 5 and evil dudes can 0 bomb everyday making the score not trust worthy.
I find Reviews to be the thing of most importance followed by views.

No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...
Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature
samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Why do people listen, but not vote? 2012-11-13 21:48:18 Reply

By the way things have always seemed to me-

Votes = 1x-2x Downloads

A well received song will have Downloads > or = ~ 1/10 Views
A very well received song will have Downloads > or = ~ 1/5 Views

My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Why do people listen, but not vote? 2012-11-13 21:57:16 Reply

Gosh no, hoping this thread doesn't become another generic 0-bombing bashing cagefight.

BBS Signature
MobiusIII
MobiusIII
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Why do people listen, but not vote? 2012-11-14 00:02:09 Reply

At 11/13/12 09:40 PM, DivoFST wrote:
when they got 0-bombed into obscurity by jackasses
I don't think that's true, music will eventually fade into obscurity no matter what.
From my experience without a solid fan base or special events (being in a flash, contest, featured) you have about 2 to 3 days to expect Reviews and to be heard, from that point forward you will get seldom visits to the song.

doesn't a song's score - which is determined by votes- effect its general visibility by the NG community?
Nope, it is one of the things people just don't care at all, you can just vote yourself 5 and evil dudes can 0 bomb everyday making the score not trust worthy.
I find Reviews to be the thing of most importance followed by views.

Well I guess that answers the question then. It'd be nice if the scores meant something, but you've made a good point. I've long since learned not to hold my breath for loads of feedback, even though thats kind of why I started submitting to the AP in the first place haha

Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Why do people listen, but not vote? 2012-11-14 01:31:43 Reply

Didn't we JUST have another thread complaining about PRECISELY THIS?

gavkay21
gavkay21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Why do people listen, but not vote? 2012-11-14 10:18:25 Reply

"Why do people listen, but not vote?"

Because some people just want to watch the world burn

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Why do people listen, but not vote? 2012-11-14 10:48:26 Reply

At 11/14/12 01:31 AM, Blackhole12 wrote: Didn't we JUST have another thread complaining about PRECISELY THIS?

I'm pretty sure we did......

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Musician
Response to Why do people listen, but not vote? 2012-11-14 11:22:37 Reply

Generally, the more work it is, the less people do it. It's a reversed pyramid construction. People start to listen. May or may not listen to the end. Could then vote. Would then write feedback. In my experience, views>downloads and votes>reviews. Though some people review but don't vote. I guess it's just the way it is. If you canâEUTMt change it, youâEUTMll have to accept it.

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Why do people listen, but not vote? 2012-11-14 13:02:53 Reply

it might mean your song is poopy and they simply don't want to tell you.

SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Musician
Response to Why do people listen, but not vote? 2012-11-14 15:16:16 Reply

At 11/14/12 01:02 PM, Chronamut wrote: it might mean your song is poopy and they simply don't want to tell you.

Haha, so true! Though there are a lot of people eager to tell a song is "poopy"!

BBS Signature
dragon-teenager
dragon-teenager
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Why do people listen, but not vote? 2012-11-14 17:08:44 Reply

Because some people don't really care. Is it that surprising? This is the internet.

DJDela
DJDela
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Why do people listen, but not vote? 2012-11-14 17:26:01 Reply

Because people can choose not to?

What a stupid topic, and the worst thing is there was a same topic not very long ago.

MobiusIII
MobiusIII
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Why do people listen, but not vote? 2012-11-14 20:18:20 Reply

To you guys talking about how redundant or stupid this thread is, if you actually read my OP I was curious if anyone had any ideas about whether or not the voting system could be improved. That is, this thread was not a 'omg wai no one like my music thread'. The consensus is that the voting system is what is it is, the end. Feel free to continue making equally redundant and stupid replies if you wish!

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Why do people listen, but not vote? 2012-11-17 18:58:04 Reply

At 11/14/12 08:18 PM, MobiusIII wrote: To you guys talking about how redundant or stupid this thread is, if you actually read my OP I was curious if anyone had any ideas about whether or not the voting system could be improved. That is, this thread was not a 'omg wai no one like my music thread'.

Only problem is, threads like these have been DONE TO DEATH too.

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature