New Topic Respond to this Topic
Peony
Peony
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Scary Movies and Games Nov. 12th, 2012 @ 09:14 PM Reply

What's the scariest movie or video game you've ever played, and what made it scary?

Is it Dead Space? MineCraft? Slender? Amnesia?

Or is it Halloween? Saw? Blair Witch Project? Hostel?

I would punch him in the face.

Nor
Nor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader
Response to Scary Movies and Games Nov. 12th, 2012 @ 09:16 PM Reply

Amnesia Sure was scary, I went insane. (In the game)
As for movies....I don't know. I haven't watched scary movies enough to pick one.

わたしのぺにす

BBS Signature
SONNYISAWSOME
SONNYISAWSOME
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Gamer
Response to Scary Movies and Games Nov. 12th, 2012 @ 09:52 PM Reply

Scary movie:None,none of them scared me
Scary game:Amnesia,because it makes you feel like if you were Daniel(How would you be like if you're trapped in a castle with a lot of monsters?)

Kwing
Kwing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to Scary Movies and Games Nov. 12th, 2012 @ 10:02 PM Reply

I've never really seen a scary movie. Silent Hill had its tense moments but as a whole wasn't scary at all. Chucky was just entertaining. Older movies, like The Blob and Tarantula, were similarly endearing. As for The Shining, Jack Nicholson did an awesome job, but he was just too damned crazy. He turned a horror movie into a comedy with his priceless facial expressions.

The scariest game I've played would be Silent Hill 2. The vibration function really unnerved me when I played, and the hallways are also much more narrow than other Silent Hill games I've played, which makes monsters a lot more threatening. Ultimately I just stopped playing it because I got lost in the hospital and Maria kept dying.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.
Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Nebula
Nebula
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to Scary Movies and Games Nov. 13th, 2012 @ 07:10 AM Reply

Silent Hill 2 pretty much.

You fucking people make me sick Chat:http://tlk.io/newgrounds "The big bang theory is top notch anime"-Amaranthus.

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Scary Movies and Games Nov. 13th, 2012 @ 09:08 AM Reply

Games don't understand horror anymore.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Scary Movies and Games Nov. 13th, 2012 @ 09:16 AM Reply

if you want to ask scariest games, shouldn't you go on the games section? but for movie it's probably the omen or 28 weeks later

It's hip to be square, but it's hipper to be torus! // You shall watch and you shall like. // #FREEAMA2014

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Scary Movies and Games Nov. 13th, 2012 @ 11:29 AM Reply

At 11/13/12 09:22 AM, MonthlyVolatile wrote:
At 11/13/12 09:08 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: Games don't understand horror anymore.
Penumbra, Amnesia and a shit ton of mods say otherwise on the matter.

VG forum, btw.

I just found those games annoying. Spent the game cursing that I couldn't fight the fuck back and then wondering why the hell the character was so mentally fragile that he couldn't stand the fucking dark. He was asking about movies (and may as well at this point include all media) so I don't think it belongs in the VG forum.

I've prefer "stressful" games over your typical horror game; games constantly on a countdown, where you're barely scraping by and then suddenly you lose and have to cool off before you can even TRY to play again.

As for movies, don't think I've ever seen one that's actually frightening. Cabin in the Woods is a great movie, so let's go with that.

Ericho
Ericho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Scary Movies and Games Nov. 13th, 2012 @ 12:12 PM Reply

I really don't know. BTW, has anyone noticed that nearly all the horror movies considered to be the best are all old movies? In recent years, we've gotten so much crap like "Dracula 3000", "Leprechaun In Space" and "The Wicker Man". I think horror as a genre is just declining. The only one I can think of that did really well with people and critics in recent years is "The Cabin In The Woods" which might not even count as it was more of a tongue-in-cheek horror movie. The same goes for "Drag Me To Hell".

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Scary Movies and Games Nov. 13th, 2012 @ 12:21 PM Reply

The first resident evil when I was younger

Ericho
Ericho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Scary Movies and Games Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 10:26 AM Reply

Oh wait, now I can think of some. There's "Night Of The Living Dead" and "Noseferatu". Like I said, I don't really watch modern horror movies, because they aren't that good. TCITW was very good though, probably the best horror (although it was also part comedy) movie I've ever seen in theaters.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Scary Movies and Games Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 10:45 AM Reply

I'm not sure that I've seen any genuinely scary movies. I've seen plenty of movies that allege to be scary but they're not, they just rely on sudden bursts of loud music to make people jump. I don't consider that to be truly scary. I've seen some of the older movies, like The Exorcist, which I also didn't find scary but in the case of that film, I just don't think it aged well. I honestly found that film more humorous than scary. I didn't find the Halloween movies to be scary either, but I do enjoy those films despite how shitty some of the later ones got.

As for video games, I guess they're more likely to make me feel scared to some extent because they almost make me feel like I am the character, seeing as I'm controlling them. The first time I played the Resident Evil remake, I'll admit, I was a little on edge when I was walking around the mansion. I'd get a fright and get panicky when one of those dogs came crashing though one of the windows and started chasing me. I'd be cautious every time I entered an area for the first time because I didn't know what to expect. Games like that are able to scare more more than any movie that I've ever watched was able to.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
TjStiches
TjStiches
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Scary Movies and Games Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 10:49 AM Reply

Games for me would be resident evil: director's cut, amnesia and good o'l slendy. As far as movies, there not really scary, but my fav by far is "Martyrs".

Joonday
Joonday
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Movie Buff
Response to Scary Movies and Games Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 03:01 PM Reply

So many scary games- Dead Space, Amnesia, Day Z, Fatal Frame. It doesn't have to be a horror game though. Fallout 3, Limbo, Morrowind, and Shadow of Colossus have even scared me.

And I don't watch scary movies. They are the worst.

scoutthesoldier
scoutthesoldier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Scary Movies and Games Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 03:42 PM Reply

None of those popular scary movies were actually scary and Slender, too. I have not played Amnesia yet, nor do I never want to.

That Scout is a Soldier!

BBS Signature
sayomgwtf
sayomgwtf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Scary Movies and Games Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 04:14 PM Reply

Scary games, well I have always liked Silent Hill and back in 2000 I thought it was scary too :P

About movies, I can't really tell because I haven't been really scared with any lately. As much as there's much hype for movies like Paranormal Activity/Saw and whatnot, I still don't find them all that scary.

Dry-Ice
Dry-Ice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Scary Movies and Games Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 04:35 PM Reply

Dead Silence is probably the closest to a legit scary movie i'd say I've seen in recent years. There are a couple of scenes that just hammer right on your childhood fears, it's awesome.

Scary Movies and Games

BBS Mod, PM me if you have something to report.

BBS Signature
Suprememessage
Suprememessage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Writer
Response to Scary Movies and Games Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 04:58 PM Reply

Anything with water in it.

I have a phobia of large fish.

Member of Alpha Team in the WNG. Find out how to join here.

BBS Signature
Sectus
Sectus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Scary Movies and Games Nov. 18th, 2012 @ 05:08 PM Reply

Movies don't really tend to scare me all that much. I suppose that The Village was pretty good, but only because of the eerie feeling that it managed to hold up through the entire film. Saw doesn't really scare me as much as it does intrigue my curiosity. The Cube movies were pretty good though; they had the same element of eeriness that The Village did.

Games scare me a lot more than movies mainly because the interactivity makes you feel like you are actually in danger. I think that Amnesia, and a few of the Half-Life 2 mods (The House, etc) were pretty scary. I can honestly say that I am eagerly awaiting the release of the second Amnesia game though.