Solomon-Pider
Solomon-Pider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Critique's wanted and valued Jan. 10th, 2013 @ 06:38 AM Reply

At 1/7/13 01:37 AM, ChildSafetyLid wrote:
At 1/6/13 03:42 AM, Solomon-Pider wrote: Two posts in one day! The picture that I made as a Christmas present. I'm happy with how it turned out. Psychic man fighting Robot!!!
Everything is looking nice, you've obviously got the creative part down! I suggest keeping photographs that inspire you, I use Pinterest because it's fast and I can navigate all my inspiring images quickly. I'll even dedicate a few minutes to collecting images I enjoy, you never have too many resources. Try drawing items in life, reference buildings and do quick sketches of relative space. I enjoy playing puzzle games, it helps me have a break from drawing/studying but aids in my use of space. Composition is important with art as is the coloring, they can make or break your pieces. If something doesn't look "right" to you, look up references and draw it over and over until you're so confident in how it looks you aren't bugged by any anatomical issues. Don't be afraid to erase and redraw. Keep it up you've got some original stuff!

Thanks for your advice, I really do appreciate it. I'd completely forgotten that I should be drawing from life. I used to do it with relative frequency, I mean I wasn't any good at it but still I practiced. I sorta just...stopped at some point. I'll be doing that more. All of your advice sounds helpful, and I too enjoy a good puzzle game now and again. Do you have any particular favorites?

ChildSafetyLid
ChildSafetyLid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Artist
Response to Critique's wanted and valued Jan. 10th, 2013 @ 10:20 PM Reply

Thanks for your advice, I really do appreciate it. I'd completely forgotten that I should be drawing from life. I used to do it with relative frequency, I mean I wasn't any good at it but still I practiced. I sorta just...stopped at some point. I'll be doing that more. All of your advice sounds helpful, and I too enjoy a good puzzle game now and again. Do you have any particular favorites?

I enjoyed a game called Switcheroo long ago but it's since then been discontinued, now I spend endless time traversing "Ourworld" which is a collection of puzzle games like Bejeweled and Cake Mania... none feed my craving for Switcheroo though. T-T Yourself?!

Solomon-Pider
Solomon-Pider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Critique's wanted and valued Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 09:57 PM Reply

At 1/10/13 10:20 PM, ChildSafetyLid wrote:
I enjoyed a game called Switcheroo long ago but it's since then been discontinued, now I spend endless time traversing "Ourworld" which is a collection of puzzle games like Bejeweled and Cake Mania... none feed my craving for Switcheroo though. T-T Yourself?!

Sorry It took so long to respond, I've been sick and bedridden for a while. Life sorta just catches up to you sometimes, ya know? Anyhow as far as games that I enjoy, I enjoy bejeweled as well, and a few other games of the like. I also really enjoy adventure games, but there's a game I just found was Octo-dad, a sort of puzzle game about a secret Octopus who is a loving father and an appreciative husband. It is free to play and hilarious.

Also, cause it's been a while, Robot Work in progress! Just a sketch, and the robot doesn't have feet. He hovers.

Critique's wanted and valued

Solomon-Pider
Solomon-Pider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Critique's wanted and valued Apr. 3rd, 2013 @ 05:53 AM Reply

I just got through replaying windwaker, and I wanted to make this in the style. god I love Windwaker. Also hey! It's been a while. I'll try to post more frequently in the future. I'll shade this and add more detail sometime soon, so it's technically a work in progress.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Critique's wanted and valued Apr. 3rd, 2013 @ 07:37 AM Reply

At 4/3/13 05:53 AM, Solomon-Pider wrote: I just got through replaying windwaker, and I wanted to make this in the style. god I love Windwaker. Also hey! It's been a while. I'll try to post more frequently in the future. I'll shade this and add more detail sometime soon, so it's technically a work in progress.

I wouldn't have comprised the beard of individual swirls. Makes it look like he has a swarm of snails on his face.

Solomon-Pider
Solomon-Pider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Critique's wanted and valued Apr. 3rd, 2013 @ 11:57 PM Reply

At 4/3/13 07:37 AM, bigjonny13 wrote:
At 4/3/13 05:53 AM, Solomon-Pider wrote: I just got through replaying windwaker, and I wanted to make this in the style. god I love Windwaker. Also hey! It's been a while. I'll try to post more frequently in the future. I'll shade this and add more detail sometime soon, so it's technically a work in progress.
I wouldn't have comprised the beard of individual swirls. Makes it look like he has a swarm of snails on his face.

I took your advice and changed the beard, because I couldn't stop seeing snails on his face after you said that. I also did a little more with the picture but, I might not be done yet. I don't know how I feel about the shading.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Critique's wanted and valued Apr. 4th, 2013 @ 07:40 AM Reply

At 4/3/13 11:57 PM, Solomon-Pider wrote:
At 4/3/13 07:37 AM, bigjonny13 wrote: I wouldn't have comprised the beard of individual swirls. Makes it look like he has a swarm of snails on his face.
I took your advice and changed the beard, because I couldn't stop seeing snails on his face after you said that. I also did a little more with the picture but, I might not be done yet. I don't know how I feel about the shading.

Better, but the beard still has a lumpy look to it. Try to make the bumps less prominent, smooth things out a bit.

Solomon-Pider
Solomon-Pider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Critique's wanted and valued Apr. 5th, 2013 @ 01:22 AM Reply

Better, but the beard still has a lumpy look to it. Try to make the bumps less prominent, smooth things out a bit.

Ok, So I tried to smooth the beard out and I think it's looking better. I also tried a few different things with shading and lighting, and I think the look is passable. On another note, thanks for giving me a few things to work on Big Johnny. It really has made my day. :)

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Critique's wanted and valued Apr. 5th, 2013 @ 07:36 AM Reply

At 4/5/13 01:22 AM, Solomon-Pider wrote: Ok, So I tried to smooth the beard out and I think it's looking better. I also tried a few different things with shading and lighting, and I think the look is passable. On another note, thanks for giving me a few things to work on Big Johnny. It really has made my day. :)

Much better. Head hair can cluster and form into shapes, but facial hair tends to be more smooth.

Solomon-Pider
Solomon-Pider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Critique's wanted and valued Apr. 13th, 2013 @ 07:46 AM Reply

Ok, this one is just pencil so far, will probably do a lot more with it, but I was proud of it so I thought I'd share. What do you think of the character? what can you gleam from him from his portrait alone? I'm curious what people think.

Horselurrver
Horselurrver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Critique's wanted and valued Apr. 13th, 2013 @ 11:45 PM Reply

At 11/12/12 01:44 AM, Solomon-Pider wrote: Hey guys, I'm sort of new to newgrounds, and I want opinions on my artwork. I'll take any criticism that you can offer. I want to eventually be good enough to make my own comic series, possibly a web comic. I'll take any and all criticism for any and all of my artwork, but what I post here, I'd especially like opinions on. This first piece is a character that I designed specifically to try and make fantasy armor for a female warrior that was more functional than sexy.

This is pretty good! However, I am not a total fan of how you drew those enormous cartoony eyes. You could always add some shading as well. Overall, phenomenal job of maintaining that authentic Chinese warrior appearance!

Solomon-Pider
Solomon-Pider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Critique's wanted and valued Apr. 19th, 2013 @ 07:04 AM Reply

At 4/13/13 11:45 PM, Horselurrver wrote:
This is pretty good! However, I am not a total fan of how you drew those enormous cartoony eyes. You could always add some shading as well. Overall, phenomenal job of maintaining that authentic Chinese warrior appearance!

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'm still working on eyes in general, I'm not sure If I like them more cartoony or not. I'm glad that you think it's got a good Chinese warrior theme to it.

Solomon-Pider
Solomon-Pider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Critique's wanted and valued Apr. 19th, 2013 @ 07:06 AM Reply

Alright, here's another thing I've been working on! I'm wondering wether or not to use it as my new avatar. I like the way it turned out, but I'm still open to changing it.

Solomon-Pider
Solomon-Pider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Critique's wanted and valued Apr. 21st, 2013 @ 05:32 PM Reply

I just made this cup in blender! I'm kinda proud of myself, even though I just followed a tutorial. I'm...not entirely sure if this counts as art or not, but I think it might. I'm trying to learn how to use blender, so I might post stuff here as I complete it, if it's alright.

Solomon-Pider
Solomon-Pider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Critique's wanted and valued Apr. 21st, 2013 @ 09:30 PM Reply

Still not sure if this counts as art or not, but I'm really proud of how this one turned out, so up it goes to! I think it's neat.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Critique's wanted and valued Apr. 21st, 2013 @ 11:44 PM Reply

At 4/21/13 09:30 PM, Solomon-Pider wrote: Still not sure if this counts as art or not, but I'm really proud of how this one turned out, so up it goes to! I think it's neat.

3D art is still art

Solomon-Pider
Solomon-Pider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Critique's wanted and valued Apr. 22nd, 2013 @ 05:42 AM Reply

At 4/21/13 11:44 PM, bigjonny13 wrote:
3D art is still art

Well, when you say it like that I feel like an idiot. XD But cool. I'm just constantly nervous and afraid I'll step on somebody's toes....woah, gotta a little to real there for a sec...

Anyway, three in one night! Here's a sword I worked on, it came out pretty Ok I think, for a first try at a sword. I'm enjoying myself with this. I think I'll add it to my things to do.

encasedcase
encasedcase
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Critique's wanted and valued Apr. 24th, 2013 @ 10:25 AM Reply

At 4/22/13 05:42 AM, Solomon-Pider wrote:
At 4/21/13 11:44 PM, bigjonny13 wrote:
3D art is still art
Well, when you say it like that I feel like an idiot. XD But cool. I'm just constantly nervous and afraid I'll step on somebody's toes....woah, gotta a little to real there for a sec...

Anyway, three in one night! Here's a sword I worked on, it came out pretty Ok I think, for a first try at a sword. I'm enjoying myself with this. I think I'll add it to my things to do.

This is good for a first attempt! But I think you should work on making the blade less glossy, as it looks like it's made of glass.

Better scorned for the folly I've got
Than loved by the name of a man I am not

Solomon-Pider
Solomon-Pider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Critique's wanted and valued Jun. 8th, 2013 @ 11:38 PM Reply

Ok, well, here we are, been a little while, but I have new art!

I really like this concept, but I'm not sure about the execution. I want this piece to be really good, cause like I said, I like this concept, so I'd like Ideas on how to improve the piece.

Solomon-Pider
Solomon-Pider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Critique's wanted and valued Aug. 4th, 2013 @ 01:58 PM Reply

Been a while, so heres a sketch!

Solomon-Pider
Solomon-Pider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Critique's wanted and valued Aug. 4th, 2013 @ 02:06 PM Reply

At 8/4/13 01:58 PM, Solomon-Pider wrote: Been a while, so heres a sketch!

Ok, that didn't work, so let's try again!

BazookaBonsai
BazookaBonsai
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Critique's wanted and valued Aug. 5th, 2013 @ 05:05 AM Reply

At 8/4/13 02:06 PM, Solomon-Pider wrote:
At 8/4/13 01:58 PM, Solomon-Pider wrote: Been a while, so heres a sketch!
Ok, that didn't work, so let's try again!

Niiice. Can't wait to see the final result.

...I mean "Beep Boop!"