New Topic Respond to this Topic
thoktaz
thoktaz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Dev Team Seeks Artist Nov. 11th, 2012 @ 09:28 PM Reply

We're looking for a talented member to add to our team. We're creating a dark fantasy RPG filled with tough moral choices and a story that we feel is as compelling as any AAA product. The game will have a traditional top down (or isometric, depending on the artist) navigation. Combat will take place on a separate hex grid, in turns (Heroes of Might and Magic-esque, to allow for some basic maneuvering, AOE attacks, etc).

There will be several environs needed, most of them typical to the genre.
Character art, item art, spell effects.

Traditional flash animated characters and pixel art are both acceptable styles.
What we want most? Timely work. Much of the writing, design, and programming has been done--this is a game that will see release if we get another solid member on board.

Finally, understand that this is a potential beginning, depending on reception, to an indie franchise we'd like to see expand and grow. We're starting here, but we've got the material, ideas, and potential to go much further. If you're interested in being a part of our team, just send me a message (pm or e-mail) along with some links to samples of your style.

Nate "Legerdemain" Church
The Whispered Word Dev Team
[email protected]

Lucky
Lucky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to Dev Team Seeks Artist Nov. 11th, 2012 @ 09:39 PM Reply

Can you post some examples of prev games your dev team has worked on, or an alpha or screenshots on what this looks like so far?

My Artsy Thread
Current top 3 forum artists

Fersteger /Flowers10 / ZaneZansorrow

BBS Signature
thoktaz
thoktaz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Dev Team Seeks Artist Nov. 12th, 2012 @ 06:23 AM Reply

At 11/11/12 09:39 PM, Lucky wrote: Can you post some examples of prev games your dev team has worked on, or an alpha or screenshots on what this looks like so far?

Nope.

This is our first project. While we're capable of producing our own visuals, it would extend our development time significantly over having a dedicated artist--and at a likely lower quality. We have a script, setting, layouts of the environs/characters needed, and both combat and exploration are very near completion (sans decent visuals).

We're not trying to hire an artist--no one is making anything on this.
No one is in a position to prove anything to anyone else.
This project's completion will give us a good idea of possible future projects that might actually generate some sort of production budget.

Our ideal artist would be someone who is doing it for the same reasons we are--give it an honest shot, and see if we have the chops to move forward from there. I'm very excited about the material we have thus far, and the passion of the three-man-group that is currently devoting so much of their time.

We're looking for a fourth, equally passionate individual, who is willing to make the same gamble. On the plus side, said person will be able to come into a project that is already very solidly moving toward release. We have working code, and a story to utilize it. What we need now is a little more visual punch, so that it looks as good as it plays.

Anyone interested can feel free to PM or e-mail me as mentioned in the OP. For now, I'm back to my pixel art tutorials, just in case. >.>

DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Dev Team Seeks Artist Nov. 12th, 2012 @ 12:15 PM Reply

At 11/12/12 06:23 AM, thoktaz wrote:
At 11/11/12 09:39 PM, Lucky wrote: Can you post some examples of prev games your dev team has worked on, or an alpha or screenshots on what this looks like so far?
Nope.

This is our first project. While we're capable of producing our own visuals, it would extend our development time significantly over having a dedicated artist--and at a likely lower quality. We have a script, setting, layouts of the environs/characters needed, and both combat and exploration are very near completion (sans decent visuals).

We're not trying to hire an artist--no one is making anything on this.
No one is in a position to prove anything to anyone else.
This project's completion will give us a good idea of possible future projects that might actually generate some sort of production budget.

Our ideal artist would be someone who is doing it for the same reasons we are--give it an honest shot, and see if we have the chops to move forward from there. I'm very excited about the material we have thus far, and the passion of the three-man-group that is currently devoting so much of their time.

We're looking for a fourth, equally passionate individual, who is willing to make the same gamble. On the plus side, said person will be able to come into a project that is already very solidly moving toward release. We have working code, and a story to utilize it. What we need now is a little more visual punch, so that it looks as good as it plays.

Anyone interested can feel free to PM or e-mail me as mentioned in the OP. For now, I'm back to my pixel art tutorials, just in case. >.>

I don't know if anyone would volunteer under this basis. For me, it would have to be a very creative game that uses unique mechanics , even if it is a free game to participate. I would find someone who specializes in this kind of thing directly. Just some of the artists here whether or not they would want to participate and go from there.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
Lucky
Lucky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to Dev Team Seeks Artist Nov. 12th, 2012 @ 02:25 PM Reply

At 11/12/12 06:23 AM, thoktaz wrote:
Nope.

Well with that post, the lack of any examples and your previous 5 forum posts I lost all interest. Good luck regardless

My Artsy Thread
Current top 3 forum artists

Fersteger /Flowers10 / ZaneZansorrow

BBS Signature
thoktaz
thoktaz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Dev Team Seeks Artist Nov. 12th, 2012 @ 02:40 PM Reply

Well with that post, the lack of any examples and your previous 5 forum posts I lost all interest. Good luck regardless

Thanks. :) We're looking for a slightly better attitude for our team anyway.
No one gets to join the team acting like they're doing anyone a big favor by showing up.
I'm sure you've put out lots of amazing games to justify the attitude, but we have to get experience somewhere.
We're looking for someone else with the same goal. I don't feel like that's exceptionally difficult to comprehend.
Then again, I also asked for response via PM or e-mail, and that seems to have flown right by.

Thanks to the people who have responded (constructively, and via posted methods) so far!

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Dev Team Seeks Artist Nov. 12th, 2012 @ 05:33 PM Reply

At 11/12/12 06:23 AM, thoktaz wrote: Our ideal artist would be someone who is doing it for the same reasons we are--give it an honest shot, and see if we have the chops to move forward from there. I'm very excited about the material we have thus far, and the passion of the three-man-group that is currently devoting so much of their time.

We're looking for a fourth, equally passionate individual, who is willing to make the same gamble.

Okay, you're wanting to do a collaborative thing for no money. That's fine, and I understand that. But there is an issue, that people don't generally get into these sorts of partnerships with people they don't know and trust. They'll want to know how well you can work, what you're capable of, how well they can work with you, etc.

So my question becomes: Who are you?

What can you tell us about yourself, your abilities, and your experience with this sort of thing? What's your background? What sort of deadlines do you keep? Will you be working on this full time, or will you be doing it in your spare time from something else?

What about the other people in the group? Who are they? Are they your friends or did you all come together as strangers to make this game? What is everyone's role in making this game, and what can they bring to that role?

You're looking for someone equally passionate to you. How passionate are you? What can you say to convince me of your passion, and what can you say to instill that passion in me?

You need to show people why they should be interested in joining your project. It's not enough to just say that you're passionate. You need to prove it.

Check out my webcomic: The Amazing and Remarkably True Adventures of Kim and Amy
Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
thoktaz
thoktaz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Dev Team Seeks Artist Nov. 12th, 2012 @ 08:02 PM Reply

I recently met a programmer looking for a project, and posed to him the idea of a traditional western RPG. (Think Baldur's Gate, Arcanum, Fallout, etc. Project Eternity, for a current example.)
I'm a freelance writer, and I'm currently negotiating a novel deal with a couple of national publishing houses. I'm also an advanced-stage Lyme's Disease patient, leaving me almost completely disabled.

I've written a baseline script for said RPG, and after reviewing some ideas, we decided to give it a shot. He's been working on various mechanics and techniques in preparation for doing a game project, and I've been making notes within this fictional world and using it to DM table top RPGs for nearly ten years. Therefore, the conceptual and baseline content needs were filled rather quickly. I pulled in my personal assistant (from my novel's editorial team) and my artistically inclined wife to help with pixel art if we go that route. Thing us, none of us are experienced in that field, and while we could gradually produce acceptable art assets, it would dramatically lengthen the dev cycle.

I've written up the events (along with outlines for all elements and events of each scene) of a pretty solid demo of the game. We have grid-based combat with line-of-sight around objects, combat and exploration mechanics for an animated sprite-based interface. The UI is still a work in progress, it'll depend on some gameplay decisions as we flesh out a few unique mechanics.

Save for some basic script demos with empty placeholder sprites, there really isn't much to "show".
The story isn't something we're trying to put much info on the open web about--it's going to be a main draw to the game, once we formally announce the project (preferably after we've finalized a solid art direction, whether we produce it or not).

The point is, this project will be a proverbial first-entry in any sort of game development portfolio. That said, we'd rather push it back and produce our own art than get into a position where we'd spending the whole project trying to hold on to a team member who feels like they're doing everyone a big favor by showing up. We're all putting in time, and we've already put in quite a bit. All we're doing is putting it out there to see if anyone else is interested. If not, fine.

There are people who are actually interested in doing these things because they love to do it. That's the sort of team we have, and that's the sort of person we'd be interested in adding. Simple as that.

I could as easily treat the artist as if they need to prove they're worth representing my dozens of hours of writing, or the programmer could decide he'll only script for pro artists and writers, noobs not allowed. But then ... well, we'd just be a team of assholes. :)