Gamer
Favorite Gamecube games of all time 2012-11-10 20:17:00 Reply

Just to name a few Five

Sonic adventure 2 battle

super smash bros melee

mario sunshine

soul calibur 2

and pikmin

these are just a few games i find great on the gamecube.

BBS Signature
PimpNFresh
PimpNFresh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Movie Buff
Response to Favorite Gamecube games of all time 2012-11-10 20:18:29 Reply

The remake of the original resident evil game was by far my favourite to play on gamecube.

"I don't got nothin'... but I'll give what I got"
-The Nightwatchman

MiniDroidKreator
MiniDroidKreator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to Favorite Gamecube games of all time 2012-11-10 21:14:16 Reply

At 11/10/12 08:17 PM, superdan123 wrote: Just to name a few Five

Sonic adventure 2 battle

super smash bros melee

mario sunshine

soul calibur 2

and pikmin

these are just a few games i find great on the gamecube.

That's a nice top five. Some others that would be worthy of mention would include:

Metroid Prime

Sonic Adventure DX

Pokemon XD

Luigi's Mansion

Metroid Prime 2

Mortal Kombat: Deception

Thanks, Chdonga, for the awesome sig.

BBS Signature
DELUCA2400
DELUCA2400
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Favorite Gamecube games of all time 2012-11-10 21:52:50 Reply

Eternal Darkness
Luigis Mansion
Donkey Konga
Mario Kart Double Dash
Resident Evil 1 and 4
SSB Melle
Metroid Prime
LoZ Windwaker

ToastedCupcake
ToastedCupcake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Favorite Gamecube games of all time 2012-11-10 22:40:59 Reply

Wind Waker
Super Smash Brothers Melee
Pikmin 1 + 2
Cel Damage
Sega Soccer Slam
Animal Crossing

Arise to sky and set free - Release toward horizon

BBS Signature
ThePigeonMaster
ThePigeonMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Gamer
Response to Favorite Gamecube games of all time 2012-11-10 23:09:45 Reply

Super Mario Sunshine

I don't care if some people say it's the suckiest mario game of all the time, but I really enjoyed the concept and the gameplay was awesome. Not to mention it had awesome challenging levels that really put me addicted for hours.

SSBM

It's Melee, for the love of God. One of the most awesome multiplayer/action/fighting games of all the time, and I dare to say it's quite better than Brawl, which was awesome as hell, but Melee was the one that made this franchise a golden one.

Luigi's mansion

A totally original concept, fresh, and interesting. It's something that I really NEVER expected to come. The challenges and riddles of the game were well made and designed, awesome background music and the plot could be quite simple, but it really worked.

Paper Mario: TTYD

Since I loved the N64 version and a lover of Mario RPGs, I just HAD to play the sequel. It was awesome as hell. Amazing story, enjoyable music and the graphics were well adapted to this game.

BBS Signature
Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Writer
Response to Favorite Gamecube games of all time 2012-11-11 06:21:49 Reply

My top 5, all of which I still play when I get the chance:

Timesplitters 2
F Zero GX
Resident Evil 4
Metroid Prime 1 and 2
LOZ Windwaker

Honorourable mentions go to SSBM, Mario Kart Double dash and Mario Sunshine, but all have since been surpassed by better games in the series, so I tend not to go back to them. I also love Pikmin and Luigis mansion, but I feel both lack replayability after a while, where I can play Zelda again and again.

Buy the Newgrounds Writing Anthology
Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Favorite Gamecube games of all time 2012-11-11 07:09:00 Reply

Star Fox Adventures is the only GameCube game that I've actually beaten. Despite the negativity that it gets from a lot of people, I think it was a decent enough game in its own regard.

Metroid Prime
Resident Evil (remake)
Resident Evil IV
Super Monkey Ball

Those are a few of the other games that I've invested some time in and enjoyed. I'd particularly like to go back and play through the first three of those games at some point in time. Specifically the remake of the original Resident Evil.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Emlfuryoflion
Emlfuryoflion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Gamer
Response to Favorite Gamecube games of all time 2012-11-11 08:05:14 Reply

Tales of Symphonia

It is literally the only gamecube game I still play with any regularity.

Don't get me wrong though I did enjoy my time with other games too. Games like Paper Mario, Mario Sunshine, Time splitters, Super smash bros, kirby air ride, Four Swords, Fire emblem, and sonic adventure 2 also come to mind for games I really enjoyed. However most of those games I don't even play anymore and the ones I do still barely get touched.

LDAF
LDAF
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 26
Gamer
Response to Favorite Gamecube games of all time 2012-11-11 10:43:31 Reply

Man, this is gonna be a toughie; I also think that a lot of people are gonna have a lot of the same games on their list, so here goes anyway...

Metroid Prime
Super Smash Bros Melee
Alien Hominid ( I know it wasn't exclusive, but still)
Pokemon Colosseum ( I know it wasn't the best Pokemon game by any means, but it was still enjoyable I thought)
Rogue Squadron II & III
Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee

Are you MAN enough to click this?!

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to Favorite Gamecube games of all time 2012-11-11 11:01:43 Reply

Metroid Prime 1 and 2 x100

Honestly, these are the finest Nintendo have ever offered to gamers. I very much like the environments you explore in both games and while Metroid Prime 1 does have fantastic boss fights, the second game manages to outdo that with harder and more intense boss fights. Bosses such as Amorbis and Quadraxis are easily some of the greatest boss fights I've seen in my gaming experience.

I will have to give Resident Evil remake a mention. While I never played the original Resident Evil game, I personally liked the atmosphere this game provided and I can't see how the horror value would be dramatically different from one variation to another. Some of the changes that I'm aware of between the two would make it feel weird to play the original version and figure out what can't be solved via memory of the remake. That at least gives me a reason to pick that up someday but for now, I dig the remake and it was a great introduction to the franchise for me.

[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

ToastedCupcake
ToastedCupcake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Favorite Gamecube games of all time 2012-11-11 11:41:01 Reply

At 11/11/12 07:09 AM, Dean wrote: Star Fox Adventures is the only GameCube game that I've actually beaten. Despite the negativity that it gets from a lot of people, I think it was a decent enough game in its own regard.

I also enjoyed that game. It was no Star Fox 64, of course, but it still held its own as a fun adventure game.

Arise to sky and set free - Release toward horizon

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Favorite Gamecube games of all time 2012-11-11 12:19:12 Reply

My personal favorites include Animal Crossing, Pikmin 2, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Battalion Wars, Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine, Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, and The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker.

Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Favorite Gamecube games of all time 2012-11-11 12:36:06 Reply

I have the impression that I missed out on quite a few good gamecube games. My personal favourites are:

Metroid Prime 1 & 2
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Star Fox Adventures
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones

At 11/11/12 11:01 AM, Bahamut wrote: Metroid Prime 1 and 2 x100

Honestly, these are the finest Nintendo have ever offered to gamers. I very much like the environments you explore in both games and while Metroid Prime 1 does have fantastic boss fights, the second game manages to outdo that with harder and more intense boss fights. Bosses such as Amorbis and Quadraxis are easily some of the greatest boss fights I've seen in my gaming experience.

I agree the boss fights in Metroid Prime 2 were totally epic. The boss fights in the first Metroid Prime were less impressive in my opinion, but overall I did like the game a little more.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
Neon-Bard
Neon-Bard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Favorite Gamecube games of all time 2012-11-12 19:55:03 Reply

There are so many...I can't stick to five (apologies for the long list :P)

Tales of Symphonia
Baten Kaitos Origins
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Zelda Wind Waker, Twilight Princess & Four Swords
Timesplitters Future Perfect
Metroid Prime
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Skies of Arcadia Legends
The Lord of the Rings Return of the King & Third Age
Animal Crossing
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Resident Evil 4
Mario Kart Double Dash
Paper Mario TTYD

If you have a moment, check out some of my work:
[Music here on Newgrounds] [Soundcloud]

BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Favorite Gamecube games of all time 2012-11-12 22:14:41 Reply

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle

Super Smash bros Melee

Resident Evil 4 (Fuck you, it was originally on the GC)

007 Agent Under Fire

QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
Sectus
Sectus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Favorite Gamecube games of all time 2012-11-13 00:36:25 Reply

Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon were my two favorite games for that system. I remember playing it all the time when I was a kid, and to this day I still have the Gamecube I got way back when I was little.

Magical-Zorse
Magical-Zorse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Favorite Gamecube games of all time 2012-11-13 02:51:28 Reply

Pikmin, SSBM, RE4

BBS Signature
SoulMaster71
SoulMaster71
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Movie Buff
Response to Favorite Gamecube games of all time 2012-11-13 18:12:12 Reply

At 11/10/12 09:14 PM, MiniDroidKreator wrote: Luigi's Mansion
At 11/10/12 09:52 PM, DELUCA2400 wrote: Luigis Mansion
At 11/10/12 11:09 PM, ThePigeonMaster wrote: Luigi's mansion
At 11/11/12 12:19 PM, ZJ wrote: Luigi's Mansion

I'm afraid I must disagree with your gaming preferences. Luigi's Mansion is one of the worst examples of "in name only" game franchising and one of the worst misuses of Mario characters and concepts that I've ever played. In my own opinion, not only is it a frankly AWFUL game, but it's an awful game that has just about nothing to do with the Mario series beyond superficial references, and its core gameplay mechanic would tie in much better with another Nintendo series entirely, specifically with the Kirby series, than it does completely tossing aside Luigi's established power set and putting him in a game where he can't jump and has to rely on a sucking mechanism. It's like when Star Fox Adventures, another major misstep in the Gamecube years, took away Fox's Arwing (for most of the game at least), Landmaster, and other vehicles and instead shoved him into "Zelda with dinosaurs"... Except that Luigi's Mansion is even worse, because instead of taking a game that would fit into a "big" series and instead putting it into a "smaller" series (which would of course help the "smaller" series get out there more and have a big game when it otherwise wouldn't), Luigi's Mansion took a game that could have been a part of a "smaller" Nintendo series, or better yet its own IP altogether, and instead shoved it in with the biggest series in the Nintendo stable, thus robbing a smaller series that would have been a better fit of a major Gamecube launch game, and an all-new brand of the right to exist in the first place, just so that they could have more Mario on the shelves.

You might now be asking, "But Soulmaster, how is it NOT a Mario game?" Admittedly, with Mario being possibly the most diversified game series out there, that's a valid question. When the game's setting is so far outside the usual sugar-bowl aesthetic of the Kirby franchise that I claim would better fit the sucking-based gameplay, how can I say that Kirby would be a better fit as a protagonist than Luigi was? But Mario isn't just a series that's diverse from game to game. Just about every Mario game has a great deal of internal diversity, whether in the settings of every one of the main series' platformers, to the abilities of different characters in the sports games, to many different elements of the Mario Kart games. Hell, even the Mario Party games, probably my least favorite non-Mansion games in the franchise, are chock full of different minigames. But Luigi's Mansion just... Isn't. It lacks a lot of the internal diversity that nearly every other game in the series since Super Mario Bros. has had. The action is confined entirely to the grounds of a single house which would be a pretty generic (though somewhat expansive) "haunted house" if not for the Mario enemies and references. Around the time of its release, I read an article somewhere (I think it was in Electronic Gaming Monthly, but don't quote me on that) that compared Luigi's Mansion to an expanded version of the Ghost Houses from Super Mario World. And looking back, that's pretty accurate: it has little more internal diversity than a handful of similarly-themed levels in a better Mario game would. That's not a good thing, when a major launch title for your console can be compared to a single level theme from a game you'd released roughly a decade before. Luigi's Mansion might not have been a complete fit for the Kirby series, which is why I ultimately have to decide that it would have been best served as an entirely new series, but the only things it had to do with the Mario series were superficial references anyway so it might as well have been put into a series with which it shares at least some component of its core gameplay mechanic.

But, if the Soulmaster's going to talk shit about one particular Gamecube game that he hates with a passion that has never really quieted down in all the years he's hated the Hell out of it, he's gotta be willing to praise the games he loves for the console, right? Well, at the risk of running into my old nemesis the character limit...

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Now, y'all can look at my icon and guess that I'm a massive Zelda fan, right? While I'm a bit picky about which Zelda games are good and which ones are bad, my opinion remains that a "bad" Zelda game is better than the "good" games in some series, and that a "good" Zelda is a game that just about no other series can fully match. And in that same set of opinions, Twilight Princess is one of the "good" Zelda games. It learns its lessons from what worked in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, and from all the things that just didn't work in Wind Waker, to produce what often comes off as a distillation of Ocarina of Time. I'd nitpick and say that I dislike its partial embrace of the brown-gray graphical trends and that I prefer Wind Waker's much more vibrant, colorful look... But that's graphicswhoring. Twilight Princess spent a lot of time rejecting all of Wind Waker's changes, most of which didn't work in WW. For example, Wind Waker has much more of a focus on exploration compared to the previous 3D Zelda games, which in execution didn't quite work out for at least a few fans: the area being explored was more often than not a vast expanse of water, which got boring sometimes; TP fixed that by setting us back on dry ground in a world that, while not as good for exploration, DID provide more opportunities for dungeon-crawling, something sorely lacking in WW. Also, TP included a greater emphasis on characterization compared to WW, a lesson largely learned from how well Majora's Mask did it. Say what you will about Wind Waker, but it largely doesn't put as high an emphasis on the personal development of many characters aside from the King of Hyrule, Tetra, possibly Komali, and tiny hints of a deeper personality for Ganondorf. But TP, learning from Majora's Mask and its method of characterizing people through their responses to bad circumstances, has a few of Link's various childhood friends changing as a result of the traumatic but survivable events that they go through. Colin throwing himself in the way to save Beth from King Bulblin, for example, being a sign of his growing awareness of what "strength" means in an adult context as opposed to a child's more simplistic view, or Midna's slow transformation from not caring much about the fates of Link and Hyrule as a whole to taking a more generous view of people other than herself. Or the entire segment where you're trying to get Ilia's memory back. Basically, Twilight Princess is much closer than The Wind Waker to the N64 installments of the Zelda series, and with how good both N64 games are (to the point that Ocarina of Time often tops "Best Game of All Time" lists) that generally isn't a bad thing. However...

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
That doesn't mean even for half a second that The Wind Waker is a "bad" game. Quite the opposite, in fact; while I don't hold it in as high of esteem as I hold TP, I still recognize that it's a great game by just about any measure. Is it perfect? No. It has multiple flaws in the execution of a gameplay more focused on overworld exploration than on the dungeon-crawling that defined Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess. It ends up sacrificing the last part of the game (at least the last before the final dungeon) to a monotonous fetch quest centering around the often boring treasure-hunting mechanics, looking everywhere you can for Rupees, and a character who is generally hated by non-Japanese audiences for his manchild personality and ugly appearance. But as I'll explain in my next post, this game is still good, and one that I'd recommend to any Gamecube owner.

Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Favorite Gamecube games of all time 2012-11-13 22:19:11 Reply

At 11/11/12 11:01 AM, Bahamut wrote: Metroid Prime 1 and 2 x100

I will have to give Resident Evil remake a mention. While I never played the original Resident Evil game, I personally liked the atmosphere this game provided and I can't see how the horror value would be dramatically different from one variation to another. Some of the changes that I'm aware of between the two would make it feel weird to play the original version and figure out what can't be solved via memory of the remake. That at least gives me a reason to pick that up someday but for now, I dig the remake and it was a great introduction to the franchise for me.

I completely agree. Metroid prime (although only my second favorite metroid game) just screams quality and passion from the get go. I didn't feel the same way about the sequel, I won't go into detail, but yeah.

Skies of Arcadia Legends also.

BBS Signature
SoulMaster71
SoulMaster71
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Movie Buff
Response to Favorite Gamecube games of all time 2012-11-13 23:02:37 Reply

You know, if the Soulmaster ran Newgrounds he'd quadruple the character limit just to make sure this doesn't happen again. There's a reason he don't have a Twitter, boys and girls.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (continued)
The American dislike for Tingle aside, Wind Waker remains a worthy entry in the Zelda franchise. For all its experimentation with the Zelda formula, for all its relatively minor missteps, the problems with centering a vital part of the game around a less-than-stellar treasure-hunting mechanic instead of around the much more interesting dungeon-crawling and combat, the general problems with fetch quests in general, whatever, it isn't enough to make this a bad game, or a bad narrative, or even a less-than-fun experience. While there is a lot of the setting that's basically the same water over and over and over (I like to compare this game to the Hoenn Pokémon games, which were also released in Japan in 2002, in America in 2003, and featured minor formula and setting shake-ups up to and including way too many water areas that got tedious long before you were done with them), there are still forest and volcano levels, an ice area, et cetera. And then, we get to the graphics. I'm not sure if the trend towards brown-gray "realism" was even starting yet in 2003, certainly it hadn't completely taken over the industry like it did by 2009, but The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker was proud to give the finger to that whole realism fetish back then before it had gone to the ugly extremes you see nowadays. Let's not mince words here: every single thing about that cel-shaded world is fucking BEAUTIFUL. Not only the looks of it, but the sound of it. The feel of it. That game is an experience worth having for any Gamecube owner, whether or not you prefer its emphasis on overworld exploration to TP's heavier characterization and dungeon-crawling. At the very least, sitting down to play them both gives you a perspective on how far the Zelda gameplay and concept can be taken in either direction while still feeling as good as ever.

Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
It's probably not entirely accurate to call these two games first-person shooters, in that while they do include shooting from a first-person perspective, the gameplay formula, structure, and overall appeal of these two games has a lot less in common with Halo or Call of Duty and a lot more in common with, well, previous Metroid games. And because of that, I find that they work a lot better than a more immediately mission-oriented FPS does. Their control scheme is a lot more intuitive to me than that of normal first-person shooters, they have much more emphasis on exploration instead of mission, again more like classic Metroid than like Call of Duty in that respect... And if you're into it, there's a lot to be learned about the setting from the various scannables. Seriously, that's like half of the fun. One has to wonder why this version of the FPS control scheme, clearly much less of an obstacle for new players to master than the more traditional one, didn't take over the genre... Then you remember that the original Metroid Prime didn't have any kind of multiplayer, Metroid Prime 2 only had a tacked-on multiplayer mode that was entirely local, and neither game allowed you to yell homophobic and/or sexist slurs at people over the Internet while committing lewd acts on the corpses of their opponents' in-game avatars. I can only hope that the day will someday come that the current first-person shooter culture, dominated as it is by Xbox Live users specifically rejecting the conventions of civilized society in their failed attempts to emulate their flawed, immature views of "masculinity" and "strength" and landing straight in a mud pit made out of immaturity and insecurity, will die and allow more first-person games like the Metroid Prime series to flourish without it hanging over their heads.

Super Smash Bros. Melee
I shouldn't need to spell out, at this point, what's so appealing about the Super Smash Bros. games. The fact is that, if you're looking for a competitive party game for yourself and a few friends hanging out at one of your houses, and one of you has a Gamecube, you NEED this game. It's far from anything resembling a serious fighting game, more of a party platformer with fighting elements, but sometimes you don't need some ultra-serious tournament fighter. It's not about balanced one-on-one edge-of-your-seat action, it's about having a fun time with friends, and it's made pretty much perfectly for that. From the stage design to the characters' movesets to the items and their effects, everything was chosen to maximize fun content. It's not supremely deep, it's not something super-complex, but it's fun and fanservice for Nintendo lovers of all generations.

Super Mario Sunshine
You know everything that I said Luigi's Mansion got wrong as a Mario game? Yeah, this one gets all that right. Diverse environments, gameplay that actually feels like a Mario game instead of tossing all its protagonist's established abilities out in favor of a gimmick, but which still includes the degree of differentiation from the previous Mario games that keeps it feeling fresh and new at all times. Oh, and Yoshi. Yoshi makes EVERYTHING better, because the gameplay variation caused by Yoshi-riding keeps things fresh. The "story" is a fairly simple thing meant more to set up the action than anything, but that's expected and allowed in a Mario game, simply because the series has always had such great games with the story limited to a few lines of text in a manual or the equivalent. And this is one of those great games. It also manages to get in hints of an anti-pollution message without alienating people like me who don't particularly care about environmental messages in general, which is a huge thing to say about a Mario game, since so many games with longer, more in-depth stories seem at odds with my own perspective in the degree to which they emphasize environmental preservation as opposed to human development and achievement (looking at you, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey for the Nintendo DS). Yes, part of that is BECAUSE of the relative lack of story in relation to gameplay; cleaning up the pollution is more a gameplay mechanic rather than some demon saying humanity should be reduced to savages because a civilized humanity ruins the environment. Sometimes it may actually help to lay off the stories and focus on interesting gameplay, though that's obviously not true for ALL games.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
If you haven't played this game? Play this game. It's great. It's a great example of how good a good Mario spinoff is, compared to the bad spinoff that is Luigi's Mansion. Paper Mario is an RPG, but not entirely a traditional dramatic RPG in the Final Fantasy sense. It's a fun JRPG, though not entirely without seriousness in its overall world-saving plot. Enemies tend to be drawn from the usual Mario rogues gallery, aside from the X-Nauts which as far as I can tell are new to this game. Actually, now that I think of it, why am I here right now instead of hunting down another copy of this wonderful game and playing it again? Because this game deserves it, and unfortunately my brother traded in our copy to GameStop years ago. And again, pay attention to the different environments in this game, the different skills of your partners, et cetera. This game's got a ton of options, as an RPG should. Many different viable combinations of Badges, partners, items, et cetera. It's sometimes fun just to play around with that stuff.