New Topic Respond to this Topic
Psionic3D
Psionic3D
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Game Developer
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-28 04:42:15 Reply

Some great sketches, ideas and styles in this thread, keep it up!!

luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-28 23:49:58 Reply

Quick Homestuck sketch, I'm cleaning up the lines in PS and it's lookin a-maaazing.

Luckylime's General Art Thread

My Art Thread --Art Tag: Luckylime Video Tag: TekaiGuy Gamertag: Luckytime!

BBS Signature
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-29 21:14:38 Reply

No drawing today but here's a color chart I did in college. I know I did a terrible job with the gradients, but it gets the idea across.

BBS Signature
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-29 23:36:48 Reply

I lied. This is another old drawing, nice hat!

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-30 11:57:27 Reply

At 11/28/12 11:49 PM, luckylime wrote: Quick Homestuck sketch, I'm cleaning up the lines in PS and it's lookin a-maaazing.

It could use some unsolicited advice. I've separated the picture into three parts, below, each more or less demonstrating a few different points.

Now I don't know whether or not you were just doodling, or didn't care, but the legs on this prowl-machine are whack, along with a host of other proportional problems. I've always found that the absolute best way to check up on your motherfucking accuracy is to flip the picture (Fig. 1), which somehow readjusts your eye and lets you view it objectively. I don't know how it works, but it does a damn fine fucking job. I've got it assigned to a shortcut but otherwise its Image > Image Rotation > Flip Canvas Horizontal.

Now you said you were cleaning up the lines in Photoshop, but for some reason you're using the pencil tool instead of the brush. Which I've always found to be a pain in the arse. Anyway if you're using either, you really want to switch on tablet pressure controlling size or opacity (f5 > Check Shape Dynamics or Transfer) because it gives you so much more control over your brushwork. So much. All the control. I've got opacity control on but if you're sticking with the pencil tool, you'll want size.

Now for Fig. 2: Your pose, was stupid. Now way around it. I mean, what's she doing? Why's she doing it? I've found the best way to approach everything is to give it a reason. Here I went for a 'Shippers gonna ship' kinda thing, and basically just devoted all my time to making sure the form and anatomy and what have you worked out. I have a feeling you skipped this stage.

Hint; do not skip this stage.

Finally I just cleaned it up (Fig. 3)! If you've already got the body downpat, it's just like dressing up a mannequin, as in this part is the easiest. Now I'm a painter, basically everything I do is painted, so I don't particularly care about "clean artwork" because more often then not I'm just going to fucking paint over it anyway. Otherwise it'd just be a case of going to town with the eraser.

Hopefully this helps, or hopefully it doesn't but its at least inoffensive. Whatever, good luck in whatever the fuck it is you decide to do.

luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-30 18:20:16 Reply

Oh wow, that is a wall and a half right there. Well let me see if I can get to all your points.

At 11/30/12 11:57 AM, Lintire wrote: Now I don't know whether or not you were just doodling, or didn't care, but the legs on this prowl-machine are whack, along with a host of other proportional problems.

I know, I drew it in 10 minutes. :P
But please, if you don't mind could you point out exactly what's wrong? An artist always has a bias toward their own art on account of looking at it for so long.

I've always found that the absolute best way to check up on your motherfucking accuracy is to flip the picture (Fig. 1), which somehow readjusts your eye and lets you view it objectively. I don't know how it works, but it does a damn fine fucking job. I've got it assigned to a shortcut but otherwise its Image > Image Rotation > Flip Canvas Horizontal.

I do this already, in fact I used this trick to correct the eyes, shoulders, hips, waist, and horns. It IS a damn fine good trick. I think we see it more objectively because it becomes novel and our brains haven't yet adjusted to seeing it as "normal". Like we see Mario and don't give him too much thought but to someone playing his games for the first time the universe he lives in would seem crazy. But yes, how do you set it to a shortcut? I'm still trying to get more efficient with PS.

Now you said you were cleaning up the lines in Photoshop, but for some reason you're using the pencil tool instead of the brush. Which I've always found to be a pain in the arse.

I drew the sketch in MSPaint, not because of MSPA or anything, I just really like the pixel-y, retro feel that it gives pictures. I am very much into, not necessarily pixel art, but low-res art is one way to describe it. Also I'm just as, if not more, comfortable with a mouse than I am with a tablet since I'm still getting used to it. Sorry for any confusion.

you really want to switch on tablet pressure controlling size or opacity (f5 > Check Shape Dynamics or Transfer) because it gives you so much more control over your brushwork. So much. All the control. I've got opacity control on but if you're sticking with the pencil tool, you'll want size.

This is something I'm just starting to figure out, but I don't see opacity controls anywhere. All I got is Size Jitter, Minimum Diameter (I really like this option), Tilt Scale, Angle Jitter, Roundness Jitter, and Minimum Roundness. I can't use half of them because I have no clue what "Jitter" means. :P

Now for Fig. 2: Your pose, was stupid. Now way around it. I mean, what's she doing? Why's she doing it? I've found the best way to approach everything is to give it a reason. Here I went for a 'Shippers gonna ship' kinda thing, and basically just devoted all my time to making sure the form and anatomy and what have you worked out. I have a feeling you skipped this stage.

You're right, I did skip that stage. My process is much different than yours and maybe it's even inferior (that's all part of learning though). My way is drawing everything now and use the lasso tool while eyeballing it to fix things later. Crude, but it got me this far.

Can you please explain to me what you mean by "everything needs a reason"? I feel like I'm missing something huge that could change the way I look at art. What does giving it a reason do that skill mastery can't? I only believe in good art but you seem like you're telling me that all art needs a story behind it?

Finally I just cleaned it up (Fig. 3)! If you've already got the body downpat, it's just like dressing up a mannequin, as in this part is the easiest. Now I'm a painter, basically everything I do is painted, so I don't particularly care about "clean artwork" because more often then not I'm just going to fucking paint over it anyway. Otherwise it'd just be a case of going to town with the eraser.

There's the fundamental difference between us, I was never a good painter. My style calls for laboring over every last line until I basically have a "coloring book drawing", THEN I color it. So I work incredibly slow and I'm not happy about it tbh :( I get so impatient/frustrated sometimes that I'll just stop drawing the picture halfway through the linework, then I'll come back to it a few days/weeks/months later and continue.

As you can see I've been working for a few days and haven't even finished the lines yet... but I'm actually having fun with this one so I think I'll end up finishing it.

Well I think that's everything, you're clearly faster than me at drawing but like you said, you have a "messier" style and that's okay too! Every comment that lets me know how I'm doing or how to improve makes a great difference, so thanks. I had no clue what shipping was until now.

BBS Signature
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-30 18:51:25 Reply

At 11/27/12 10:40 PM, Captain-Carrion wrote: more pls

Done. I think I'd like to go for some kind of E-Honda challenge here and just draw a bunch of hands. Here's numbers 2 &3.

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-30 19:19:07 Reply

Hi, I believed that I haven't been posting on your thread. I'm actually a fan of your work ever since I first saw it a few days ago. You really have quite an impressive grip on coloring among other things. I can't really find any big holes on your artwork as Lint already pointed that out extensively. Please continue to make more art. :)

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-30 20:29:47 Reply

Well, hey, this is an open fucking forum, not a one time deal. Dig out your toga from whatever seedy hooker-infested motel you left it last, and I'll respond best I can. Anyone else is more then welcome (including you, luckylime, you tike) to point out where I've fucked up, or a superior or alternative to anything I've listed below.

Someone bring lube.

But please, if you don't mind could you point out exactly what's wrong? An artist always has a bias toward their own art on account of looking at it for so long.

Well I already redrew it "correcting" all the proportional errors I had in mind. The obvious ones where the size of the legs (too small) and the size of her head (it will break. I'm not joking. Try to balance a head that size on a head that small, it will break. You have killed a troll. Nice work).

Now I say "correct" because you seem to default to very anime style, whereas mine is very psuedo-realist, or as I will be quick to correct anyone who says that, shitty realism. Refer to my previous redraw for any anatomical errors I've pointed out you wish to correct. That's if you're interested in correcting any of them. Remember, there is no shame in telling me to go fuck myself and doing it however the fuck you like. I do it all the time.

How do you set it to a shortcut? I'm still trying to get more efficient with PS.

Figure 3
I did not take these screenshots in order. I feel dumb.

There's a scrolldown menu once you're in the shortcut editor, just keep that in mind. Just flick through there and set all the ones you use most often to the most convenient keys. For example, I've got the Brush tool set to F, the Brush size adjusters set to C and V, and Free Transform set to Ctrl+W because at the time I didn't realize that you can't set operations that would normally require a ctrl or alt attachment to a an unaltered key.

Keep that in mind.

I drew the sketch in MSPaint, not because of MSPA or anything, I just really like the pixel-y, retro feel that it gives pictures. I am very much into, not necessarily pixel art, but low-res art is one way to describe it.

Figure 2

You can grab that exact same effect by using the pencil tool, setting the fill tool's tolerance to 0, etc. Just saying, because MSPA has had every panel, apart from the very first, drawn in Photoshop, and most pro pixel artists use Photoshop as well.

Also I'm just as, if not more, comfortable with a mouse than I am with a tablet since I'm still getting used to it. Sorry for any confusion.

I'm very disappointed in you.

This is something I'm just starting to figure out, but I don't see opacity controls anywhere. All I got is Size Jitter, Minimum Diameter (I really like this option), Tilt Scale, Angle Jitter, Roundness Jitter, and Minimum Roundness. I can't use half of them because I have no clue what "Jitter" means. :P

Figure 1
Really should have done those in order. Differentiates between opacity controls and size, etc.

As for "jitter" and all the other sub-controls, they're really only of use to either people who shop photos, GFX artists, etc. Not much use to a digital artists unless you're one of the ones that use 50 million different brushes to get a single result. Jitter in particular randomizes brush spread and angle, turning a square brush into a malfunctioning spray can.

It's more useful then it sounds. Just not to you.

Can you please explain to me what you mean by "everything needs a reason"? I feel like I'm missing something huge that could change the way I look at art. What does giving it a reason do that skill mastery can't? I only believe in good art but you seem like you're telling me that all art needs a story behind it?

This really cinched it for me and in fact that entire blog (By Chris Beatrice, aka "crazy eyebrow guy") is just jam-packed full of useful info. Basically giving everything a reason to be there gives you a direction, an angle that knowing every facet of anatomy and rendering can't give you.

It's the interesting concept that you start with, and can really help in streamlining every aspect of your sketches by giving it a purpose. In true philospher fashion it's simply asking "why?" Why is she posed like that? What's she running towards, why is she so happy, why are her hands in front of her face?

Then you illustrate the reason. Sometimes it can be incredibly simple, sometimes you might be trying to say a thousand words in a single picture. If it's the concept, then skill is the execution, so you want both.

I get so impatient/frustrated sometimes that I'll just stop drawing the picture halfway through the linework, then I'll come back to it a few days/weeks/months later and continue.

There's an exercise that helped me get incredibly fast (relative to my starting point) called time sketching; basically giving yourself a deadline in the form of 15 or 30 seconds to get an observational sketch downpat. As you can see it didn't help with my line economy, I'm still insistent on making sure my form is pitch-fucking-perfect, but it helps you to get bolder in your strokes instead of perfecting chickenscratch.

I had no clue what shipping was until now.

I'm sincerely sorry. Please accept my apologies. I... I didn't know.

luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-12-02 21:40:02 Reply

I know, but I don't blame people who only post once and leave. I do it all the time. I know I'm terrible.

Did you draw a male version of my picture? In the anatomy and colored picture it looks like you gave him breasts. :P
Maybe I should mention that I had a reference for this drawing, but everything besides the pose is original: http://i.imgur.com/4F9MN.jpg I was trying to look at my drawing critically but I couldn't see any major proportion issues. Then you mentioned you like "shitty realism" so it only makes sense that you're likely to judge things with that filter on. I like realism a lot too, but I also like how a hint of anime lets you exaggerate certain proportions to make them more appealing (to me anyways). For example, the big head like you mentioned.

I actually have a site called Posemaniacs bookmarked which lets you do those 30 second drawings. When I get around to using it I'll post up some of the drawings. In the meantime, here's another figure drawing exercise:

BBS Signature
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-12-03 23:27:16 Reply

Here's some fan art for a cool song.

BBS Signature
Iiasminum
Iiasminum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-12-04 01:00:45 Reply

I really like your art c: great work and keep it up. :D

wash
wash
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Art Lover
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-12-04 03:58:28 Reply

At 11/22/12 05:47 PM, luckylime wrote: I work on this from time to time. I'm mainly having difficulty with the perspective (the size and position of the characters). I still want to put less detail on the background characters and darken the edges to make the spotlight stand out a bit more.

Nice Machinarium fan art!!! really love those adventure point and click games....especially the oldies like the monkey island or any from lucas arts

luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-12-05 23:51:45 Reply

Machinarium is definitely one of the better point-and-click games out there, and I'm not even a big fan of the genre.
Here's some more older work. I'm really striving to finish one of the WIP's I posted earlier in this thread, please bear with me!

BBS Signature
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-12-06 19:23:00 Reply

I don't draw enough guys :\

BBS Signature
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-12-09 01:44:31 Reply

I'm trying to replicate an old photo with this one, probably going to have a beach in the bg. I stole her hairstyle off Inphy from Ninety-Nine Nights.

BBS Signature
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-12-09 01:50:13 Reply

At 12/9/12 01:44 AM, luckylime wrote: I'm trying to replicate an old photo with this one, probably going to have a beach in the bg. I stole her hairstyle off Inphy from Ninety-Nine Nights.

Dear god the subtly with the water color-like painting style and lack of painting in other areas make this a really peaceful piece.

3DS FC: 4442-0200-7535
So yeah follow this neat little do-dad to get a free trip to my Art Thread. I also endorse Retsupurae on my own volition

BBS Signature
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-12-09 20:43:18 Reply

Thanks Absinthe! I like your name a lot, it's fun to say and it would make a good song title.
Linework done! Basic colors are in place, shading coming right up, hold the mayo!

BBS Signature
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-12-11 21:05:38 Reply

Yes, progress is being made... slowly. I'm being very careful so as to not fuck this up. Lintire's advice about opacity and other controls is top tier though. I like this gradual shading style a lot but I can also do a "solid-forms" style, I just don't know which one would be best for this kind of drawing.

BBS Signature
Danul
Danul
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-12-11 22:11:40 Reply

At 12/11/12 09:05 PM, luckylime wrote: Yes, progress is being made... slowly. I'm being very careful so as to not fuck this up. Lintire's advice about opacity and other controls is top tier though. I like this gradual shading style a lot but I can also do a "solid-forms" style, I just don't know which one would be best for this kind of drawing.

It might just be me, but the occasional solid black lines look kinda out of place

luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-12-12 16:47:15 Reply

Perspective is hard, but essentially a must.

BBS Signature
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-12-12 16:51:14 Reply

At 12/11/12 10:11 PM, Danul wrote: It might just be me, but the occasional solid black lines look kinda out of place

I'm still fixing it up Danul, I'm more interested in hearing what you think of the shading, where the light source should be, what kind of background I should add, if any? Compositional problems like that.

BBS Signature
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-12-13 16:45:04 Reply

Old self-portrait that apparently makes me look like a drug dealer.

BBS Signature
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-12-20 23:05:03 Reply

Here's something a little different, my first piece of animation for a game. It was drawn frame by frame in photoshop using an improvised onion-skinning technique. I really want to hear people's opinion on this:

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/0a9d5fda37b126283ca7d47d deecfea9

BBS Signature
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-12-21 23:52:30 Reply

An update to my avatar. Happy holidays everyone! :>

BBS Signature
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2013-05-03 19:53:53 Reply

Back.
I took a 4 month break because I was running out of things to put up in keeping with my "updates everyday" rule. I'm changing that rule into "updates whenever I want" for the sake of keeping this active at the very least. It's just that everyone wants to see colored work and that shit aint easy! Let me tell ya! Well no, I won't do that.

Here is what I call a Sketch At Work or SAW for short. They're sketches I make when I'm bored at work-- usually quick, simple, and small in scale. Ideas for characters, hands, objects, any random thing really.

I call this one "LEEF." You have to really focus on it for a good minute to truly appreciate the intricacies.

BBS Signature
Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2013-05-03 20:54:37 Reply

Ugh such badass studies. Upload more!

Thoughts in chaos...
Illustration thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1229930
Animation thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1332069

BBS Signature
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2013-05-04 17:41:21 Reply

Another favorite.

BBS Signature
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2013-05-06 00:13:39 Reply

Hands 4 & 5

BBS Signature
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2013-05-07 23:49:23 Reply

Did this signature very quickly, let me know if you like the colors.

BBS Signature