New Topic Respond to this Topic
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-10 16:13:33 Reply

Welcome to my art thread! I'll be using this to post sketches and studies, and hopefully some finished work eventually. I'll try my best to wander into unknown territories when it comes to what I'm used to. One thing I struggle with as an artist is imagination, so if you request something I'll probably try working on it for novelty's sake.

I won't promise daily updates but I will try to make this thing a habit to get used to the workload. Maybe you guys can give me some direction with my projects too, who knows? :]

Well, here goes nothing!

Luckylime's General Art Thread

My Art Thread --Art Tag: Luckylime Video Tag: TekaiGuy Gamertag: Luckytime!

BBS Signature
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-10 17:31:33 Reply

At 11/10/12 04:13 PM, luckylime wrote:
Well, here goes nothing!

Very beautiful and innocent start, I hope to see more because you shading looks very genuine.

3DS FC: 4442-0200-7535
So yeah follow this neat little do-dad to get a free trip to my Art Thread. I also endorse Retsupurae on my own volition

BBS Signature
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-10 17:51:43 Reply

Thanks! I don't like just using one style of drawing all the time, so expect to see some varied work.

And what the heck, since today's the first day I'll upload another quick sketch.

BBS Signature
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-11 16:07:44 Reply

I like the concept of having one of each gender standing next to each other, DBZ was thrown in for fun. :p

BBS Signature
ManDeep
ManDeep
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-11 16:40:36 Reply

At 11/11/12 04:07 PM, luckylime wrote: I like the concept of having one of each gender standing next to each other, DBZ was thrown in for fun. :p

Give that chick a hamburger yo!
In all seriousness, these are some really good sketches! You're quite the artist.

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-11 16:43:48 Reply

Likeing the 3rd and 1st pic so far. the second one, not so much.

Carry on my friend, keep that pencil moving.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-11 16:50:01 Reply

At 11/11/12 04:40 PM, wankwest wrote:
At 11/11/12 04:07 PM, luckylime wrote: I like the concept of having one of each gender standing next to each other, DBZ was thrown in for fun. :p
Give that chick a hamburger yo!
In all seriousness, these are some really good sketches! You're quite the artist.

Thank you. Btw I used references for both of them, and those happen to be the ideal body proportions in my mind. Everyone has their own ideas however. Be sure to visit again!

BBS Signature
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-12 18:54:50 Reply

This is a work in progress, currently testing out some color combos and shading methods. The middle is the most advanced version, but I could still use some hints.

BBS Signature
Lucky
Lucky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-13 16:55:05 Reply

At 11/12/12 06:54 PM, luckylime wrote: This is a work in progress, currently testing out some color combos and shading methods. The middle is the most advanced version, but I could still use some hints.

Man I love that coloring, great stuff! Like the left one the most for some reason

ZaneZansorrow
ZaneZansorrow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-13 17:35:20 Reply

At 11/12/12 06:54 PM, luckylime wrote: This is a work in progress, currently testing out some color combos and shading methods. The middle is the most advanced version, but I could still use some hints.

Can I throw in some color combos ideas. I did an edit, with how well you shaded (shaded it very well) I use the magic wand to select the shadow part of the body. For the skin I softly shade it with a pinkish red and maybe a tiny bit of purple while I shade the pants with a bit more blue and barely noticeable blue-green and purple. The hair has a darker blue and purple mix in as well. This color combo makes her more vibrant and can fit very well under the spring/summer sun. Plus I love Kung Fu Cooking xD

BBS Signature
RandomApple
RandomApple
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Art Lover
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-13 17:57:32 Reply

Very beautiful art in general, you're a high level artist for sure. Personally I thought the the male character from DBZ looked hilarious as a michelangelo-styled statue.
As for the shading techniques, the middle one looks a perfect blend of hard and softer shading, though the left one's hair looks more alive. ZaneZansorrow's edit is subtle, but looks indeed more fresh and innocent thanks to the pink tones thrown in.

Flowers10
Flowers10
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-13 18:11:27 Reply

I feel like some of your art might be traced, they just look too good to me.
Would you mind sketching the main character in this out for me?
Just to show you can do it without.
Besides its good practice!

Click on the sig!
Or my thread

BBS Signature
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-13 18:52:19 Reply

This one I drew years ago (sorry for the grain but it's small scale). I'm trying to find a good formula for editing my photographed art to bring out the most life in it. Let me know how I did.
Also trying my hand at some sort of watermark/signature. Enjoy! :]

BBS Signature
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-13 19:23:36 Reply

Thanks for the feedback on the WIP. I thought going with more desaturated, gritty tones would give it a little edge, but you guys seem to like the more vibrant colors of the left one and I can understand why. I'll definitely try following your edits as I continue working on this one ZaneZansorrow, the time you put in is much appreciated.

At 11/13/12 06:11 PM, Flowers10 wrote: I feel like some of your art might be traced, they just look too good to me.

Yes, the DBZ characters (minus Bulma's head) and two pictures in my gallery DO have traced elements in them. But I respect art and myself far too much to rely on tracing to get me ahead. Everything else you see was drawn from sight, or directly out of my brain (and I'll let you know in the future when something has been traced).

With that said, I don't believe there's any shame in tracing as long as you have a different goal in mind. For example the Vegeto was the first thing I drew right after I bought my tablet. My goal wasn't to improve my sight-reading, but to get used to drawing with a tablet for the first time and a little bit of male figure practice. I'll get to your request as soon as I can, thank you for the challenge!

BBS Signature
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-14 18:36:47 Reply

I had some fun before shipping my package...

BBS Signature
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-15 18:11:57 Reply

This takes a surprisingly long time!

BBS Signature
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-19 22:03:21 Reply

Some more traditional work. This is one of my favorites to look at :>

BBS Signature
RandomApple
RandomApple
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Art Lover
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-20 15:54:12 Reply

At 11/14/12 06:36 PM, luckylime wrote: I had some fun before shipping my package...

Nice meat boy stylized box, pretty hilarious. I like the variety of subjects in your art thread, keep up the good work.

luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-21 13:41:50 Reply

This is one of my parts in an art worm on another site.

BBS Signature
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-22 17:47:31 Reply

I work on this from time to time. I'm mainly having difficulty with the perspective (the size and position of the characters). I still want to put less detail on the background characters and darken the edges to make the spotlight stand out a bit more.

BBS Signature
Carrion
Carrion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-22 18:36:11 Reply

I'm definitively going to be watching this thread. Your foundation in traditional art really shines through in your digital work. You prove to have a keen understanding for three dimensional shape and value in your representational pieces. And these colors are extremely tasteful. On the picture that Zane edited you already had a good start shaping out that flesh color but as said before, while subtle, Zane's edit is something to be considered.

I'd like to ask if you have had any formal training in art such as classes or studio sessions. I cant help but see inspiration from classical master's work in your pieces.

Also that Fez picture hit me right in my blood pumper. This thread is off to an amazing start, looking forward to updates!

BBS Signature
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-23 22:18:50 Reply

Just finished another signature, been looking at it for so long that my judgment's been thrown off. What do you think?

BBS Signature
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-23 22:49:23 Reply

At 11/22/12 06:36 PM, Captain-Carrion wrote: I'm definitively going to be watching this thread. Your foundation in traditional art really shines through in your digital work. You prove to have a keen understanding for three dimensional shape and value in your representational pieces. And these colors are extremely tasteful. On the picture that Zane edited you already had a good start shaping out that flesh color but as said before, while subtle, Zane's edit is something to be considered.

I'd like to ask if you have had any formal training in art such as classes or studio sessions. I cant help but see inspiration from classical master's work in your pieces.

Also that Fez picture hit me right in my blood pumper. This thread is off to an amazing start, looking forward to updates!

Hey thanks Carrion! :D Though I still have a lot of learning to do, no where close to other talent out there yet. Really the main understanding about art is being able to visualize 3D shapes, which I'm assuming all artists start doing at a young age. I've been mostly teaching myself what I know until recently. I took three college-level art courses all with excellent teachers but mostly just learned ways to refine my technique. Lately the biggest spark of inspiration I had was when I found this handy little guide to colors, It taught me so many things I didn't know before:

http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm

I HIGHLY recommend this to anyone who wants to know more about color and light. Glad that you're enjoying my work! It's validation like that which keeps me motivated.

BBS Signature
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-24 20:39:28 Reply

Hand practice (my hand in this case).

BBS Signature
Danul
Danul
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-24 21:15:33 Reply

Your thread seems to be coming along nicely. You demonstrate an excellent understanding of shading and a good understanding of anatomy, as well. You said you struggle with imagination--how exactly? Is it creating your own characters and universes or just coming up with interesting posing and composition? Whichever it is, trying to do more of that seems to be the best way to get better. That robot piece seems to be a good demonstration of your imagination as well as your coloring ability which you don't seem to be showing off much. As for the hand, I appreciate that you've given yourself an unusual pose as a challenge. The only problem I see is that the thumb doesn't look completely possible to me. The thumb is coming towards us but the palm looks flat. It also seems to be just jetting out of the side of the hand instead of being connected to the wrist by the palm. Other than that, though, your thread is doing well so far, keep it up!

Flowers10
Flowers10
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-25 14:31:30 Reply

At 11/13/12 07:23 PM, luckylime wrote:
At 11/13/12 06:11 PM, Flowers10 wrote: I feel like some of your art might be traced, they just look too good to me.
Yes, the DBZ characters (minus Bulma's head) and two pictures in my gallery DO have traced elements in them. But I respect art and myself far too much to rely on tracing to get me ahead. Everything else you see was drawn from sight, or directly out of my brain (and I'll let you know in the future when something has been traced).

With that said, I don't believe there's any shame in tracing as long as you have a different goal in mind. For example the Vegeto was the first thing I drew right after I bought my tablet. My goal wasn't to improve my sight-reading, but to get used to drawing with a tablet for the first time and a little bit of male figure practice. I'll get to your request as soon as I can, thank you for the challenge!

Aye, Its good to see your honest about this stuff... Its just most people do not appreciate traces and will hunt you down for it. Just mention its traced and i don't think you will get in any trouble, besides tracing can be good practices for some skills.

Anyway the picture turned out kinda nice, the proportions dont fit the ref, but they seem natural anyway.
Anatomy can use some work but thats just small. what bothers me the most is that he isn't completely symmetrical.
Whenever i draw something i break it up in simple shapes, and draw the details in and over that shape. In your drawing the boob muscles and under chest dont seem to match up. and the legs dont seem to be the same length.

Hope this helps!

Click on the sig!
Or my thread

BBS Signature
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-25 21:45:45 Reply

At 11/24/12 09:15 PM, Danul wrote: Your thread seems to be coming along nicely. You demonstrate an excellent understanding of shading and a good understanding of anatomy, as well. You said you struggle with imagination--how exactly? Is it creating your own characters and universes or just coming up with interesting posing and composition? Whichever it is, trying to do more of that seems to be the best way to get better. That robot piece seems to be a good demonstration of your imagination as well as your coloring ability which you don't seem to be showing off much.

It's both, I mostly just do fan-art because I don't trust myself to think up anything good. But that's part of the reason I started this thread! :] Btw The robots are from a game called Machinarium, not my own design. Also I forgot to link to its original size when I posted it: http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/4677/machinarium3.png
I'm not used to coloring which is why I tend to stop after the linework is done. I only got into digital art a few years ago, the rest of my life was spent with good ol' pencil and paper (I never liked painting).

At 11/25/12 02:31 PM, Flowers10 wrote: Anyway the picture turned out kinda nice, the proportions dont fit the ref, but they seem natural anyway.
Anatomy can use some work but thats just small. what bothers me the most is that he isn't completely symmetrical.
Whenever i draw something i break it up in simple shapes, and draw the details in and over that shape. In your drawing the boob muscles and under chest dont seem to match up. and the legs dont seem to be the same length.

Hope this helps!

I see what you mean about the proportions, but you speak as if there are people who can actually get these lines to match the reference to a high degree of accuracy. Like you mentioned, all I'm aiming for is that natural look. The symmetry is kind of a sore spot for me I'll admit, I've been trying to use the trick where you flip the canvas horizontally and it helps out a lot (if only I can remember to use it, lol). Anyway I see the legs now, but when I'm drawing it the difference is so subtle I hardly notice because I'm focusing on a bunch of things at once. Thanks for feedback, it does help a lot. Hope to see you again!

BBS Signature
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-25 21:53:57 Reply

Making some album art for OCRemix & Allisbrawl. I have basically one day to color and submit... Fuck.

BBS Signature
luckylime
luckylime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-27 19:53:45 Reply

This creature is from a dream I had. I tries to make you angry and frustrated by telling you things you don't like and feeds off those negative emotions to grow. Pretty gross.

BBS Signature
Carrion
Carrion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Luckylime's General Art Thread 2012-11-27 22:40:05 Reply

At 11/24/12 08:39 PM, luckylime wrote: Hand practice (my hand in this case).

It's funny how easy hands appear to draw, but are such difficult little buggers. I like what you did here especially with the thumb and the way the hand looks as if it is being strained or undergoing some sort of pain.

more pls

BBS Signature