New Topic Respond to this Topic
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Movies that restore Actor Faith 2012-11-10 09:18:51 Reply

Quick, list the first two words that you think of when you hear the words "Robin Williams".

If you thought of anything other then "mediocre comedian" your presence in this thread is undesirable. Always figured as a typecast one-note joke who was best suited to entertaining kids, you know? Then I saw Insomnia, where Williams plays a terrified murderer trying to blackmail his way to freedom. And he does so, very well. My prejudice went right out the fucking window.

Any of you guys had an experience like that?

Phobotech
Phobotech
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Animator
Response to Movies that restore Actor Faith 2012-11-10 09:29:57 Reply

At 11/10/12 09:18 AM, Lintire wrote: Quick, list the first two words that you think of when you hear the words "Robin Williams".

Genuinely, at this point in the OP I thought of One Hour Photo.

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Movies that restore Actor Faith 2012-11-10 09:31:03 Reply

At 11/10/12 09:29 AM, Phobotech wrote:
At 11/10/12 09:18 AM, Lintire wrote: Quick, list the first two words that you think of when you hear the words "Robin Williams".

That's three words. You're disqualified.

Phobotech
Phobotech
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Animator
Response to Movies that restore Actor Faith 2012-11-10 09:44:13 Reply

At 11/10/12 09:31 AM, Lintire wrote:

The brunt of your topic wasn't this two word crap, it was of movies that restored faith into actors who are generally type-cast. I've fulfilled that end of the bargain in the discussion, in that "One Hour Photo" broke down previous conceptions of Robin Williams being comedy oriented. Realizing full-well that his brand of comedy varies from his stand-up to the scripts he generally accepts in kid-friendly movies. This parallels with Eddie Murphy in many respects, but he hasn't been in anything worth a shit in ages...so there, I even contributed a negative example to the thread's discussion, and none of it hinged on your silly introductory word game. You're disqualified.

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature
Fluttershy
Fluttershy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Movie Buff
Response to Movies that restore Actor Faith 2012-11-10 09:46:04 Reply

At 11/10/12 09:44 AM, Phobotech wrote:
At 11/10/12 09:31 AM, Lintire wrote:
You're disqualified.

Yo OP, you just got played.

Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Movies that restore Actor Faith 2012-11-10 10:01:03 Reply

At 11/10/12 09:44 AM, Phobotech wrote: I even contributed a negative example to the thread's discussion, and none of it hinged on your silly introductory word game. You're disqualified.

It's just too damn bad you weren't replying to my beautiful bouncing child of a topic, wasn't it? Now the word game may have been silly, but your reply was bloody well that too and if you're playing by my self-imposed rules then you don't get to pick and choose which ones you fail. You're disqualified.

TjStiches
TjStiches
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Movies that restore Actor Faith 2012-11-10 10:12:53 Reply

At 11/10/12 09:29 AM, Phobotech wrote:

not trying to get in the middle of this pissing match, so I would have to agree with my view on Robin Williams acting changed when i saw that movie(one hour photo).

Ryanson
Ryanson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Movies that restore Actor Faith 2012-11-10 10:22:03 Reply

Aladdin.

Awesome.

Life is a performance, and the world is full of critics. Give it your all like it's your last show.
You don't even want to know

BBS Signature
Klik
Klik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Audiophile
Response to Movies that restore Actor Faith 2012-11-10 10:34:14 Reply

I too had a similar experience with Robin Williams when I saw World's greatest dad, a dark independent comedy that I found surfing netflix one day and really came off as a pleasant surprise.

Crink
Crink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Movies that restore Actor Faith 2012-11-10 11:20:13 Reply

If you thought of anything other then "mediocre comedian" your presence in this thread is undesirable. Always figured as a typecast one-note joke who was best suited to entertaining kids, you know? Then I saw Insomnia, where Williams plays a terrified murderer trying to blackmail his way to freedom. And he does so, very well. My prejudice went right out the fucking window.

no not really, you just watch shitty comedies aimed at kids

robin williams has a very well decorated filmography. he's been nominated for the academy award for best actor three times and won the academy award for best supporting actor in that one movie.. you know that one called.. uh..

good will hunting?

hey

BBS Signature
Peetreehead
Peetreehead
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Movies that restore Actor Faith 2012-11-10 11:31:16 Reply

While he's been cast into his fair share of complete shit, I wouldn't be so quick to disregard him as a serious actor.

Verspar
Verspar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Movies that restore Actor Faith 2012-11-10 14:26:08 Reply

Robin Williams (sorry, but my mind is not a quick one)

Robin Williams is not only a hearten comedian, he's a dramatic actor. If one doesn't have respect for his comedy, they'll have respect for his acting, if one don't have respect for his acting, then you don't like heavy drama. Robin Williams (from the movies I've seen) usually plays a loveable character that you'd want to side with. Sure he has the occasional villainous character you don't like, but he's still a great actor.

Timmy
Timmy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Art Lover
Response to Movies that restore Actor Faith 2012-11-10 14:39:21 Reply

I had a pretty god-awful impression of Leonardo DiCaprio from Titanic and the Man in the Iron Mask, but then his recent films such as The Departed and Inception really changed my view of him.

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Movies that restore Actor Faith 2012-11-10 14:41:01 Reply

What Dreams May Come wasn't bad, either.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Movies that restore Actor Faith 2012-11-10 18:46:39 Reply

At 11/10/12 02:39 PM, Timmy wrote: I had a pretty god-awful impression of Leonardo DiCaprio from Titanic and the Man in the Iron Mask, but then his recent films such as The Departed and Inception really changed my view of him.

I've actually always liked DiCaprio. Not so much for his acting capabilities, but more for the fact that about every single film he's in is good. Okay, not that all of his films appeal to me, but I've yet to see him star in a film that's less than mediocre.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
BrawnFlakes
BrawnFlakes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Movies that restore Actor Faith 2012-11-10 18:49:17 Reply

Jim Carey

Then I saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind which is some powerful shit

FIBRE PROTEIN FIBRE

BBS Signature
Jolly
Jolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Programmer
Response to Movies that restore Actor Faith 2012-11-10 20:00:13 Reply

Colin Farrell with in Bruges.

The only movies I had seen him in before in Bruges was Daredevil and Alexander, both awful movies. After watching in Bruges (which is probably my favorite movie ever) I want to see more with him in it.. Too bad almost everything he's in is complete shit. But in Bruges is great.

But he has so much potential.
creepyboy
creepyboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Movies that restore Actor Faith 2012-11-10 20:39:20 Reply

Mark Ruffalo in The Avengers. At first I was like "why they cast him as Bruce Banner? he sucks" but then I saw the movie and my opinion changed, he's the perfect Bruce Banner, even more than Edward Norton.

Sorry for my bad english. I'm not from this planet
Art Page|Art Thread|DeviantArt|Twitter

BBS Signature
Phobotech
Phobotech
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Animator
Response to Movies that restore Actor Faith 2012-11-10 21:55:25 Reply

My opinion of Angelina Jolie changed after I saw "Changeling." She's actually capable, I don't see why most of the movies she's in carry a bland performance.

At 11/10/12 10:01 AM, Lintire wrote:
It's just too damn bad you weren't replying to my beautiful bouncing child of a topic, wasn't it? Now the word game may have been silly, but your reply was bloody well that too and if you're playing by my self-imposed rules then you don't get to pick and choose which ones you fail. You're disqualified.

My reply wasn't silly, and this whole argument is getting silly...an argument you have perpetuated and therefore, disqualifies you. I'm qualified to doing the diqualifying, so quit qualifying unqualified disqualifications or I'll never quit quality control on this queer query of a quorum you've conjured.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Movies that restore Actor Faith 2012-11-10 22:01:18 Reply

At 11/10/12 08:39 PM, creepyboy wrote: Mark Ruffalo in The Avengers. At first I was like "why they cast him as Bruce Banner? he sucks" but then I saw the movie and my opinion changed, he's the perfect Bruce Banner, even more than Edward Norton.

What about Shutter Island and Zodiac? He wasn't anything special in those, but he did a good job.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
DarkShadowblade
DarkShadowblade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Movies that restore Actor Faith 2012-11-10 22:26:28 Reply

At 11/10/12 09:55 PM, Phobotech wrote: My opinion of Angelina Jolie changed after I saw "Changeling." She's actually capable, I don't see why most of the movies she's in carry a bland performance.

Was going in this thread to post this. her acting in Changeling was incredible.

Viva La Liquid Funk Baby. Keep it Mellow for all our sakes.
For Crap Nobody Cares About

BBS Signature
Phobotech
Phobotech
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Animator
Response to Movies that restore Actor Faith 2012-12-05 04:50:45 Reply

Sacha Baron Cohen in Sweeney Todd wasn't bad, actually. Multiple different characters that ISN'T D- Ali G'd out like Borat or Bruno, and it proved that he can actually sing if he wanted to. Towards the end of his role, right as he was about to get his throat cut, he even snuck in a little pathos....makes me want to see what's going to happen if he plays a role like Freddie Mercury, or if he's actually going to be on Les Miserables.

BBS Signature
Urban-Champion
Urban-Champion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Movies that restore Actor Faith 2012-12-05 11:53:47 Reply

At 11/10/12 06:49 PM, BrawnFlakes wrote: Jim Carey

Then I saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind which is some powerful shit

^^^^^^^^
thisthisthisthis

Pretty much the only movie you ever need to reference if you want to defend Jim Carrey's legitimacy as a serious actor in an argument.

Hoeloe
Hoeloe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Game Developer
Response to Movies that restore Actor Faith 2012-12-05 16:38:52 Reply

At 11/10/12 09:18 AM, Lintire wrote: "Robin Williams".
"mediocre comedian"

I have always liked Robin Williams, just not some of the roles he plays.

Song of the Firefly is on Steam Greenlight and Facebook. Give them a look and support the project!
------------------------------

BBS Signature
cast
cast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Movies that restore Actor Faith 2012-12-05 17:08:30 Reply

At 11/10/12 02:39 PM, Timmy wrote: I had a pretty god-awful impression of Leonardo DiCaprio from Titanic and the Man in the Iron Mask, but then his recent films such as The Departed and Inception really changed my view of him.

Ditto sorta. I love Titanic.

c̴a̶s̴t̷

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Artist
Response to Movies that restore Actor Faith 2012-12-05 17:12:27 Reply

Macauley Culkin in Party Monster.

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Movies that restore Actor Faith 2012-12-05 17:16:21 Reply

Wait, you consider "Comedy acting" mediocre?

Uhhh, ok, your opinion man

TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
"xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Movies that restore Actor Faith 2012-12-13 22:44:48 Reply

I've experienced a lot of the opposite of this. For example, I used to think Adam Sandler was pretty good, but then I saw Click and his newer films and lost all faith in him.

Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Lost-Chances
Lost-Chances
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Blank Slate
Response to Movies that restore Actor Faith 2012-12-13 23:00:24 Reply

Robbie Williams. Really.

Nicholas Cage. He always came off as a man who lacked emotion or was just too wacky generally. Then I watched Bad Lieutenant: Port Of Call New Orleans and saw some magic happen before my eyes as he balanced absolute insanity with normality. I loved the film due to this balance.

This too will pass.
Memento mori

BBS Signature