Be a Supporter!
DigiYolk
DigiYolk
  • Member since: Nov. 2, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
New Indie Game 2012-11-09 15:07:54 Reply

Announcing on Newgrounds my new Indie Title: Clyde's Adventure Reborn! :) Please check it out and let me know your thoughts! :)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/digiyolk/clydes-adventur e-reborn

New Indie Game

Crink
Crink
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to New Indie Game 2012-11-09 15:43:02 Reply

nerd


hey

BBS Signature
DigiYolk
DigiYolk
  • Member since: Nov. 2, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Indie Game 2012-11-09 15:44:47 Reply

At 11/9/12 03:43 PM, Crink wrote: nerd

heh maybe, but is it not awesome!?! :P Took me 3 days to design/create and went through 3 prototypes xP

Crink
Crink
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to New Indie Game 2012-11-09 15:51:03 Reply

At 11/9/12 03:44 PM, DigiYolk wrote:
At 11/9/12 03:43 PM, Crink wrote: nerd
heh maybe, but is it not awesome!?! :P Took me 3 days to design/create and went through 3 prototypes xP

the papercraft looks pretty

New Indie Game


hey

BBS Signature
DigiYolk
DigiYolk
  • Member since: Nov. 2, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Indie Game 2012-11-09 15:55:21 Reply

At 11/9/12 03:51 PM, Crink wrote:
At 11/9/12 03:44 PM, DigiYolk wrote:
At 11/9/12 03:43 PM, Crink wrote: nerd
heh maybe, but is it not awesome!?! :P Took me 3 days to design/create and went through 3 prototypes xP
the papercraft looks pretty

Thank you :) I'm quite proud of it :) It was extremely difficult to make :P

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Musician
Response to New Indie Game 2012-11-10 07:19:34 Reply

At 11/9/12 03:43 PM, Crink wrote: nerd

Pfft, if it weren't for the "nerd" game designers, you wouldn't have all those great video games to play.

At 11/10/12 07:06 AM, MikeyS9607 wrote: You could also get a job, take out a loan, and get the money that way. But that's too.much of a risk on your end.
Quit e-begging.

I don't get why people are always so eager to shut other people down. If you don't have anything constructive or complimentary to say, STFU. Give people a chance, whether it's by openly helping them, or doing nothing. Don't try to shut people down if they're just trying to achieve something.

/rant

@OP: Good luck. It's not the kind of game I'd play, but I do have a question. I watched the video and your comments. You said you've been programming for ages. Do you have the programming skills to work on industry-standard video games? Or is it just the 2D games?

DigiYolk
DigiYolk
  • Member since: Nov. 2, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Indie Game 2012-11-10 08:07:57 Reply

@OP: Good luck. It's not the kind of game I'd play, but I do have a question. I watched the video and your comments. You said you've been programming for ages. Do you have the programming skills to work on industry-standard video games? Or is it just the 2D games?

What exactly do you mean by 'Industry-standard games'? I assume by your followup question that you're referring to 3D extravagant games such as Halo, Mass Effect, etc. In short, no, I have not programming anything of the sort aside from 'learning projects'. Where as with '2D games' i've developed in depth.

SomeTurtle
SomeTurtle
  • Member since: Dec. 12, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Indie Game 2012-11-10 12:05:15 Reply

At 11/10/12 08:07 AM, DigiYolk wrote: What exactly do you mean by 'Industry-standard games'? I assume by your followup question that you're referring to 3D extravagant games such as Halo, Mass Effect, etc. In short, no, I have not programming anything of the sort aside from 'learning projects'. Where as with '2D games' i've developed in depth.

I believe that's what he means, although I disagree with his interpretation because there are a lot of "industry standard" 2d games with amazing amounts of detail/work put into them. Although I like myself 3d games I would never want 2d games to die out.

@OP
I watched the video, read some things you said and what not. What I'm most disappointed about is the fact you are using all of the original assets from the game you are recreating. This fact alone is a turn off because, although some games work with the "throwback" style, you have a chance to greatly improve what once was. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate that style in the right context, but when you are given a chance to breath new life into something you should take that opportunity.

If the problem is you aren't an artist/music designer, take some of the funding(assuming you hit that goal) to invest in them, I think you'll find you'll yield better results. As well if you noted that was your intentions I think you would get better feedback from it. Now I won't lie I skimmed through chunks of the video, so I'm not sure how much change you plan to add(except for adding a level editor for user created content), but from what I've gathered you are essentially just updating the game to run on xbox and pc. I strongly disagree with this if that's the case and reassert my "breath new life" into the game.

It's one thing to respect the original artists work, it's another to essentially "copy and paste" it to gain profit off of it. Obviously you said he was cool with that all he wanted was a free copy, but as a programming you should strive to improve not settle for the bare minimal.

Good luck though.

DigiYolk
DigiYolk
  • Member since: Nov. 2, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Indie Game 2012-11-10 16:11:23 Reply

@OP
I watched the video, read some things you said and what not. What I'm most disappointed about is the fact you are using all of the original assets from the game you are recreating. This fact alone is a turn off because, although some games work with the "throwback" style, you have a chance to greatly improve what once was. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate that style in the right context, but when you are given a chance to breath new life into something you should take that opportunity.

If the problem is you aren't an artist/music designer, take some of the funding(assuming you hit that goal) to invest in them, I think you'll find you'll yield better results. As well if you noted that was your intentions I think you would get better feedback from it. Now I won't lie I skimmed through chunks of the video, so I'm not sure how much change you plan to add(except for adding a level editor for user created content), but from what I've gathered you are essentially just updating the game to run on xbox and pc. I strongly disagree with this if that's the case and reassert my "breath new life" into the game.

It's one thing to respect the original artists work, it's another to essentially "copy and paste" it to gain profit off of it. Obviously you said he was cool with that all he wanted was a free copy, but as a programming you should strive to improve not settle for the bare minimal.

Good luck though.

Very good feedback! Heh it's funny you should mention that because I had actually toyed around with the idea of creating all new graphics for the game (while trying to keep the same style/feel of 8-bit retro gaming) but in the end decided that may be something for a sequel perhaps. In this title it won't just be a copy/paste (though I have no doubt that's how I come off in the video, im very bad on camera heh). The new title will include MANY new game mechanics, levels, etc. I haven't decided on everything quite yet so I don't want to say a lot about it, but sufficeth to say it will certainly not just be the same game recreated. It will include much much more :)

Thank you for your detailed feedback! Very much appreciated :)

SomeTurtle
SomeTurtle
  • Member since: Dec. 12, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Indie Game 2012-11-10 23:52:30 Reply

At 11/10/12 05:13 PM, MikeyS9607 wrote: I was constructive. I said Quit e-begging. A great tip for anyone to follow.

No you were just being a dick, Kick Starter was made with a reason and people browsing it understand that reason. You should of just avoided the topic altogether with your mentality.

@OP
Good to hear, I might keep my eye on the game but unfortunately from what I've seen it's not my cup of tea. You should really consider making a follow up video addressing some of the things I've said as well as detailing the interesting mechanics in your game that will make someone want to invest in it.

kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Member since: Jun. 2, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to New Indie Game 2012-11-11 07:33:13 Reply

so.... yet other mario ripoff?


Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

Chdonga
Chdonga
  • Member since: Mar. 24, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 46
Game Developer
Response to New Indie Game 2012-11-11 09:22:25 Reply

At 11/10/12 11:52 PM, SomeTurtle wrote:
At 11/10/12 05:13 PM, MikeyS9607 wrote: I was constructive. I said Quit e-begging. A great tip for anyone to follow.
No you were just being a dick, Kick Starter was made with a reason and people browsing it understand that reason. You should of just avoided the topic altogether with your mentality.

Yes. And that reason was for e-begging.

OP, The papercraft was nice, which led me to think that's what the game would look like. You really dropped the ball there. But the Microsoft DOS style is spot on, but you said "New Indie Game", not "Yet another retro platformer". It's not my cup of tea and I resent anybody who would back this, but I don't want to crush another person's dreams, so here's some encouraging words:

Don't let those cyberbullies and trolls bring you down. They're all just jealous of you. ALL OF THEM. You can do it if you believe in yourself!!

Beg the unbeggable, scam the unscammable, row row kick the starter

BBS Signature
scoutthesoldier
scoutthesoldier
  • Member since: Jul. 25, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to New Indie Game 2012-11-11 16:05:04 Reply

I'd love to donate to this, but I can't and I don't know if you'll have enough funds to actually make the game, because this is the first I have heard of this "Clyde's Adventure".


That Scout is a Soldier!

BBS Signature
DigiYolk
DigiYolk
  • Member since: Nov. 2, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Indie Game 2012-11-12 21:07:58 Reply

@OP
Good to hear, I might keep my eye on the game but unfortunately from what I've seen it's not my cup of tea. You should really consider making a follow up video addressing some of the things I've said as well as detailing the interesting mechanics in your game that will make someone want to invest in it.

New video has been uploaded to kickstarter! Unfortunately I don't really talk about any new mechanics or anything because the fact is I haven't yet nailed down the details on them or anything yet heh. I have a few loose ideas i've been tossing around but nothing overly solid just yet. I can tell you that when everything is complete you'll be able to 'switch' different mechanics on and off in the level editor to control how a player may use your level. Which I think will be very cool :)

New KickStarter Video

sweet21
sweet21
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Artist
Response to New Indie Game 2012-11-12 22:43:50 Reply

The game looks boring and generic as fuck. The point of taking an I.P. and using it is to create the game in YOUR image. The colors are bland and boring, almost as bad as the scenery and the characters, the game is confusing and suffers from basic design flaws, and it looks floaty, like it controls like ass.

Even then the design of them game is uninspired.


I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
Rampant
Rampant
  • Member since: Jan. 22, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Musician
Response to New Indie Game 2012-11-12 22:52:05 Reply

At 11/12/12 09:07 PM, DigiYolk wrote: New KickStarter Video

All of the graphics should have been in papercraft style, like the image in the first post. That would have looked cool and unique.

sayomgwtf
sayomgwtf
  • Member since: Nov. 14, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Gamer
Response to New Indie Game 2012-11-14 16:00:49 Reply

At 11/9/12 03:51 PM, Crink wrote:
At 11/9/12 03:44 PM, DigiYolk wrote:
At 11/9/12 03:43 PM, Crink wrote: nerd
heh maybe, but is it not awesome!?! :P Took me 3 days to design/create and went through 3 prototypes xP
the papercraft looks pretty

I absolutely love it <3 :)