00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

xrusteater0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Bone Tool Challenge

9,927 Views | 41 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Bone Tool Challenge 2012-11-09 11:59:17

In light of this thread about the bone tool and it's worth, I thought it might be fun to have a little contest!

THE CHALLENGE
Create an animation of a dancing character (person, animal, alien, whatever) using ONLY the bone tool for movements.

DETAILS & STUFF
- You must post links to your final swf AND fla files here so everyone else can download them and see how they were constructed/rigged! (Will be used for judging too.)
- Use your DUMPING GROUNDS (instead of offsite alternatives) to post your submissions!
- You can tween the character around the stage, but iTS movements must be within/on an armature layer.
- Any audio should be your own (that you made) or come for the Audio Portal.
- There is no time limit to your animation, but the more you can make it do, the better!
- Try to avoid slapping some random google image in the background. If you add something, please create it yourself.
- Using existing/premade art is kind of cheating. So please make something specifically for this challenge.
- If you think your animation is worthy and long enough... feel free to submit it to the portal and share that link here too!
(Or maybe we can lump them all together at the end and turn it into a 'collab'!)
- You can enter as many times as you want to improve your chances (and hopefully your skills!!)
- Voting Options: We can do it where each participant picks their top 3 (can't vote for yourself), or I can assemble a 'panel'. Feel free to voice your preference, otherwise I'll just decide once it gets close to the deadline.
- Also feel free to post WIPs and ask questions here if you get stuck or need help with the bone tool or it's settings! (so we can all learn!!)

DEADLINE
Friday, November 30th - 11:59 PM (NG Time)

PRIZE/S
- The winning submission will get $25 Store Credit which can be used to buy the Supporter Upgrade, a shirt, etc!! Depending on how many people participate, there may be more than one winner (ie. 1st - 3rd).

So, let's see what you've got!!!
Good luck! :D

Response to The Bone Tool Challenge 2012-11-09 12:42:26

i'm down to give it another go. don't like the dancing and how many "gagnam" submissions there will inevitably be lol

Response to The Bone Tool Challenge 2012-11-09 14:45:53

At 11/9/12 12:42 PM, Max-Vador wrote: i'm down to give it another go. don't like the dancing and how many "gagnam" submissions there will inevitably be lol

LOL!! I was actually gonna try that with my skeleton after I got him to moon walk. There are infinite kinds of 'dance moves' though... just any kind of prancing around will do, really!

Response to The Bone Tool Challenge 2012-11-12 16:50:13

I'll show you my bone tool!

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to The Bone Tool Challenge 2012-11-18 16:42:10

At 11/12/12 04:50 PM, sweet21 wrote: I'll show you my bone tool!

lol, I'll show you mine if you show me yours! :P
This is what I've been messin' with. Takes forever to get it all rigged... and once you start moving it, you have to tweak where things join, so that's where I'm at.

The Bone Tool Challenge

Response to The Bone Tool Challenge 2012-11-19 16:42:14

well drawn but a pain to watch. it needs easing

BBS Signature

Response to The Bone Tool Challenge 2012-11-20 13:49:48

Response to The Bone Tool Challenge 2012-11-21 00:22:06

Wow I actually checked out the bone tool just now and it is NOT VERY CAPABLE!

It's really good with a rectangle.

Response to The Bone Tool Challenge 2012-11-21 00:49:40

At 11/19/12 04:42 PM, ziraffe wrote: well drawn but a pain to watch. it needs easing

lol, thanks, and... sorry :(

I haven't gotten past the constraints and stuff yet ...still tinkering with those pesky joints (been busy and haven't had time to play *cries*). Was trying to see how things work/look as they move... like, on that loop I posted, you can see his 'hip' come out of his ass... and those knees! They're all over the place! Yikes!! I saw something about 'spring' ...is that the same thing as easing?! or is it something different?

At 11/20/12 01:49 PM, nat29 wrote: SWF

lol, cute!! Glad you took the time to give it a whirl! Thanks for posting! Right now, you're winning! ;D

At 11/21/12 12:22 AM, I-smel wrote: Wow I actually checked out the bone tool just now and it is NOT VERY CAPABLE!

That's why it's called the bone tool CHALLENGE!

Response to The Bone Tool Challenge 2012-11-21 08:42:42

At 11/9/12 11:59 AM, ReNaeNae wrote:
So, let's see what you've got!!!
Good luck! :D

I think I'm gonna give this a shot... I haven't really experimented too much with the bone tool but I'll see what I can come up with. I'm surprised there aren't more people that have joined...

BBS Signature

Response to The Bone Tool Challenge 2012-11-21 11:27:25

Hey!
I know a little flash but have never contributed to newgrounds. I wanna enter the bone tool contest. The rules state that the audio must "be your own (that you made) or come for the Audio Portal." Can someone please explain exactly what that means, as in what I can and cannot use? Does that mean ALL audio posted on New Grounds is fair game? Sorry for my ignorance but would like to do it right. Thanks.

Response to The Bone Tool Challenge 2012-11-21 17:19:32

I'd like to try but the bone tool option I have is in Toon Boom studios 7. So it dose not have a fla file. Am I just crap out of luck?

Response to The Bone Tool Challenge 2012-11-21 22:27:21

At 11/21/12 11:27 AM, benbcraig wrote: The rules state that the audio must "be your own (that you made) or come for the Audio Portal." Can someone please explain exactly what that means, as in what I can and cannot use? Does that mean ALL audio posted on New Grounds is fair game?

Yep, you got it! You can use anything in the audio portal. So, no commercial stuff.

At 11/21/12 05:19 PM, rambojoe wrote: I'd like to try but the bone tool option I have is in Toon Boom studios 7. So it dose not have a fla file. Am I just crap out of luck?

I have the trial versions... not sure if I can open your files in that or not, but... what the heck! GO FOR IT!! ...we'll figure it out somehow!! :D

Response to The Bone Tool Challenge 2012-11-22 05:16:21

I've been following this challenge since its been posted, if I get some time off from my solo project I'll try to cook something up.

Btw grats on Mod ReNaeNae, I've been away a long time haha!

A Girl in A Room Halloween Collaboration II -Join Now!-

BBS Signature

Response to The Bone Tool Challenge 2012-11-22 08:59:57

Didn't know the bone tool actually works and that someone actually uses it.

XO

Response to The Bone Tool Challenge 2012-11-22 11:39:36

At 11/21/12 10:27 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:
Yep, you got it! You can use anything in the audio portal. So, no commercial stuff.

Thanks ReNaeNae! I'll get to work! Do you think people will be doing full 3-5 minute songs? That seems a bit long for this.

Response to The Bone Tool Challenge 2012-11-22 12:48:46

I'll give this a shot.. I've been trying but it's so damn difficult haha

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

-F. Scott Fitzgerald

BBS Signature

Response to The Bone Tool Challenge 2012-11-22 13:14:49

At 11/22/12 11:39 AM, benbcraig wrote:
At 11/21/12 10:27 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:
Thanks ReNaeNae! I'll get to work! Do you think people will be doing full 3-5 minute songs? That seems a bit long for this.

I'd assume the best thing to do would be either a loop, or just cut the song into the piece you want. I'm assuming around 30 second submissions is what would be acceptable, but if you wanna make it longer, good on yah. :D

A Girl in A Room Halloween Collaboration II -Join Now!-

BBS Signature

Response to The Bone Tool Challenge 2012-11-24 11:35:38

At 11/22/12 01:14 PM, ReklessCreati0n wrote:
At 11/22/12 11:39 AM, benbcraig wrote:
Do you think people will be doing full 3-5 minute songs? That seems a bit long for this.
I'd assume the best thing to do would be either a loop, or just cut the song into the piece you want. I'm assuming around 30 second submissions is what would be acceptable, but if you wanna make it longer, good on yah. :D

Yeah, it can be as short or as long as you want. Loops are good, but anything goes, really. It doesn't have to be perfectly polished and amazing! It's more about getting people to try the tool, have some fun with it and maybe learn a thing or two!

Response to The Bone Tool Challenge 2012-11-24 13:12:53

Use to the FBF style that this is something new. Always see it but never tried to use it. Time to study up on it.

Response to The Bone Tool Challenge 2012-11-24 17:05:09

I finished it :/
Not proud at all looks like chucky haha.
Glad I finished it I started it probably 3 hours ago it's so annoying to rig.
Audio used http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/504836
FLA http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/fe65f6f53948eac684d8c73c 4c925c87
SWF http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/94a3e9a99f0564aa45789fc6 52149396
Bluuurghhh

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

-F. Scott Fitzgerald

BBS Signature

Response to The Bone Tool Challenge 2012-11-24 23:07:24

just noticed this challenge today,
I think Ill give it a shot, I gave up on bones in Cs4 ( I think)
maybe its improved since then.

Response to The Bone Tool Challenge 2012-11-24 23:13:20

At 11/24/12 11:07 PM, MindChamber wrote: just noticed this challenge today,
I think Ill give it a shot, I gave up on bones in Cs4 ( I think)
maybe its improved since then.

It sadly has not haha..

-F. Scott Fitzgerald

BBS Signature

Response to The Bone Tool Challenge 2012-11-25 00:10:46

Can I somewhat participate with this comission cut out animation of a rigged character in toonboom animate?

Or is this method out the contest requirements/ parameters/ rules / potatoes ? : p
This may not have a flash armature layer, but every layer is parented to other so they work as bones to be animated with FK and IK.

btw: toonboom animate pro ple and animate ple may open both ple and licensed projects. Only the software with license may not open the free personal learning edition.

The Bone Tool Challenge

Response to The Bone Tool Challenge 2012-11-25 14:24:50

At 11/24/12 11:07 PM, MindChamber wrote: maybe its improved since then.

I'd never tried it before, so can't say if it's better or not, but I'm sure you'll come up with something impressive either way.

At 11/25/12 12:10 AM, Atzu wrote: Can I somewhat participate with this comission cut out animation of a rigged character in toonboom animate?

Toonboom stuff is ok, but as I mentioned in the first post:
- Using existing/premade art is kind of cheating. So please make something specifically for this challenge.
...although no one would have known it was made for something else if you hadn't told us. I added that to avoid giving some people an unfair time advantage. But since it's closer to the deadline now, I guess it's ok. So, yeah... go ahead and make him dance. Mashed potato?

btw: toonboom animate pro ple and animate ple may open both ple and licensed projects. Only the software with license may not open the free personal learning edition.

okay, cool! that's what I thought, but wasn't sure. Kind of backwards imo! lol

Response to The Bone Tool Challenge 2012-11-27 00:45:18

Okay this was harder then I'd like to admit. But I did learn some stuff about the bone tool. Sorry Toon Boom makes everything big in file size. Compressed it the best I could.
SWF: http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/2cdbee70aaf279181e1981b8 fb8b6d44
Music: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/467375

Response to The Bone Tool Challenge 2012-11-27 17:39:55

Sounds cool, but for the life of me I don't know what a bone tool is.

Response to The Bone Tool Challenge 2012-11-27 18:01:08

Urgh wish I had toonboom it would be alot more versatile then this shitty bone tool mess..

-F. Scott Fitzgerald

BBS Signature

Response to The Bone Tool Challenge 2012-11-27 20:25:18

At 11/27/12 06:01 PM, Jomillex wrote: Urgh wish I had toonboom it would be alot more versatile then this shitty bone tool mess..

Yeah messed a little with it when I had CS4 and anime studios pro and wasn't really happy with it. Toon boom by far is the easiest, in my opinion.

Response to The Bone Tool Challenge 2012-11-27 20:32:40

Not sure if this would work for the project work don't know any other way to show that I used the bone tool.

The Bone Tool Challenge