New Topic Respond to this Topic
pillowsurfermikko
pillowsurfermikko
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Melancholy
Programmer needed to finish game 2012-11-09 00:38:09 Reply

Hello anybody reading this! Me and a talented programmer (Ian) have been working on a flash game for the past several months called "Encore". Ian has recently started university however, and we have decided that the best thing to do is to get another programmer to finish the game.

It is a fixed shooter game where you control a planet in the middle of the screen and shoot incoming enemies and fight bosses and all that good stuff. You grow tumors all over your body that you use to shoot the enemies with, and you can also buy planets that orbit you and provide extra aid (the planet can shoot, exude an aura that poisons or slows oncoming enemies, shoot bombs, reflect enemy bullets, shield you from bullets, and like 2 others that i'm forgetting).

These are purchased at the end of every level like upgrades

The game is structured with 30 levels, seperated into 3 sections, 8 regular levels, 1 mini-boss at a 5 level interval, and one big level boss at 10 level intervals. There are 19ish different types of enemies, and 6 bosses.

Here is the current main demo of our game. WARNING: what we want the gameplay to be has taken a different direction to what we originally intended. We originally were making it a really slow paced shooter, but we found that as too slow, so one of the most recent changes we decided on doing was to make the entire game faster. This was while Ian was just starting University, so we never got the chance to implement that change. These gameplay demos are the current version of the game, but we want to make the game much faster

Current version of the game: Encore

And this is our most current demo the 2nd level boss: Encore 2nd Boss

Here's what we want you to do:

The game is about 85-90% done. The art is about 98% done.

You would need to know how to navigate Ian's code

Here are some sections of code that Ian selected so you can see if you would be able to work with this type of code.
1. code 1
2. code 2
3. code 3
4. code 4

We would need you to implement these things among others:
- Speed increase to the game
- The final boss
- Tumor upgrading
- Revamped upgrade screen
- A cutscene
- and various art change-ups and balancing
- and a few other minor things that I'm forgetting

Once the game is finished we will attempt to get the game sponsored and you would get a percentage of the profits (whatever that may be). Currently we are offering a 10% cut but we are not completely opposed to offering more if necessary ( this percentage may seem small, but we have been working on this game for the past 7-9 months and you would be completing the last month of production and again if the work is worth more than that we will offer more).

This might seem really to the point and professional, but that's just to get all the points across. I'm really not a serious guy at all.

Hope you will consider working with us soon :)

P.S. We are also working with a super talented musician/sound designer, and if you run into any problems understanding the code Ian can help anytime.

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Programmer needed to finish game 2012-11-09 06:03:40 Reply

The game looks interesting and Ian's code looks clean enough.

One caveat however: you might have to do something about the game being 12 mb.

Games that are close to 10 mb already have a hard time getting sponsored unless the size is absolutely necessary, like if it's a huge RPG or something.

Now you can still get away with 10 mb. Games that are over 10 mb however almost never get sponsored. Most websites have a limit at 10 mb for uploading games, so this will severely hinder the game's distribution, which is the most important factor for the sponsor.

If you're hell bent on making this even larger, you could always port the game to mobile using the existing code and just go without a sponsor, using the flash version as an ad for the mobile version. But even then, having your game spread more would be more beneficial to you.

Just thought I'd let you know. Good luck finding a programmer!

(If you haven't already, you could also post the same thread on FGL.com to garner more interest)

64base
64base
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Programmer
Response to Programmer needed to finish game 2012-11-09 20:39:53 Reply

I'll be completely honest the code looks horrid, absolutely no coding conventions, is it supposed to be a cross between PHP and C#?

pillowsurfermikko
pillowsurfermikko
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Melancholy
Response to Programmer needed to finish game 2012-11-10 01:57:25 Reply

One caveat however: you might have to do something about the game being 12 mb.

Games that are close to 10 mb already have a hard time getting sponsored unless the size is absolutely necessary, like if it's a huge RPG or something.

Hmmm... That is a bit of a problem then, because as far as I can tell the file size will only increase. Almost all of the game content is already in there, but the music and sound FX haven't been added yet and we have a bunch of tracks already (not that we'll be using most of them).

But thanks for the advice, i have never even considered that ( I knew that the file size was a thing to work on, but I had no idea that it would deter sponsors or anything like that).

pillowsurfermikko
pillowsurfermikko
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Melancholy
Response to Programmer needed to finish game 2012-11-10 02:00:47 Reply

Oh and good luck on your Cornered Jim game. I heard about it a little while back and its looking pretty cool :)

w7y7a7t7t
w7y7a7t7t
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Programmer
Response to Programmer needed to finish game 2012-11-10 19:46:14 Reply

i'm no pro or anything, but i agree with 64 base, i don't like the code either. he didn't even follow naming conventions :/

If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.