00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Sinbad118 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Wii U official hub thread.

45,050 Views | 583 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Wii U official hub thread. 2012-11-08 17:21:18

There have been lots of threads about the Wii U, so I wanted to make an official one that will be like the main discussion and friend information exchange thread.

Here is what you need to know:

1. The Wii U is not a peripheral for the Wii. It is a new system, with HD graphics, a new main controller, and new games.

2. The specs are here on this page.

3. There are two different versions for the Wii U to buy, one for 300$ and one for 350$, European prices are never announced because apparently your retailers like to screw with you guys. The basic version comes with an 8GB hard drive, the Gamepad controller, and an HDMI cable, and your basic cables. The deluxe version comes with all that plus a free game (Nintendo Land), a 32GB hard drive, a 10% credit on all your digital purchases, and some holders for the console and controller. Each console accpets USB storage.

4. The Gamepad is a touchscreen controller that responds to finger and stylus (included), it has gyroscopic sensors, a camera on the front, all the buttons and sticks we all love, and headphone/charger/USB outlets.

5. Nintendo is trying to incorporate T.V with the system, so even when the system is off, you can press an alternative TV button to turn on your TV and cable boxes and what not, or use Netflix/Hulu to watch stuff on your TV. Essentially a touchscreen TV remote.

6. Release date is November 18th 2012 in North America, Europe is on the 30th of November, and Japan is December 8th.

7. Video calling, they have it, and it works using the Gamepad's built in camera.

8. The Miiverse, is where all your miis congregate around icons of your games. Other people's miis appear near games they have been playing, including your friends. After you die in some games, your friends will leave messages about the time they died at that spot.

Now here are some videos.

Iwata unboxing the system (it shows sizes).

The official site.

Video chat featuring Iwata and Reggie.

What the menu looks like.

Here is the Zelda tech demo from E3 2011.

All the games coming out in between launch and March 2013.

Thoughts? I predordered a Deluxe edition in September. I am quite excited. The launch games are not mind blowing, but but much better than the 3DS launch. I am getting New super Mario bros U and Nintnedoland, and Pikmin 3 and Lego Ctiy Undercover when they come out.

The Wii U official hub thread.

Response to The Wii U official hub thread. 2012-11-08 17:43:26

At 11/8/12 05:21 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote: 1. The Wii U is not a peripheral for the Wii. It is a new system, with HD graphics, a new main controller, and new games.

I just wish we didn't have to keep mentioning this part. Sadly it won't be for a few more years when Wii gets phased out that most people will understand.

Anyway I got three games pre-ordered already + Nintendoland which I will get with the Deluxe when I pick it up who knows when. I would like to say I am getting it right away however I waited a few days too late thinking pre orders would last until launch(Obviously I wasn't informed how the console launch process worked and was quite surprised)

(Pre ordered these all at $47.99 on newegg thanks to discount codes :P)
New super mario bros
Zombie U
Pikmin 3
Trying to pre order the scribblenauts game also since it looks interesting but am waiting for another discount to become available on newegg before doing so since it wasn't in my first wave of pre-orders. May wind up just waiting until later for a price drop if no discount shows up on the pre-order.

At the very least I only took an extra week or two before I figured out about gamestops waiting list so I am on that now. Really hoping my wait isn't too long

Response to The Wii U official hub thread. 2012-11-08 18:42:03

I'm really excited for its release, but I'm probably not going to buy one till December/January.

Response to The Wii U official hub thread. 2012-11-11 01:17:48

At 11/8/12 06:42 PM, GodOfVideoGames wrote: I'm really excited for its release, but I'm probably not going to buy one till December/January.

Same here. Also, the only game i'll be getting so far is NSMBU, with the exception of Nintendoland since it comes with the deluxe pack

Response to The Wii U official hub thread. 2012-11-11 03:51:20

I can't wait to get my hands on the U. I only have one game ordered for it so far, the ZombiU hopefully it will be even half as good as it seems, I think it will offer some serious fun for few weeks or maybe even months.

I'm only upset about that I really can't pre-order any games for it because the online stores still haven't apparently gotten their prices right and driving to some shop that is about 80Km away from me sounds frustrating.

Also, great idea to make this thread, hopefully I can play something with fellow Newgrounders at some point.

BBS Signature

Response to The Wii U official hub thread. 2012-11-11 14:18:57

:European prices are never announced
actually for england the white one is £250 and the black one is £300 but there is another black one with zombi u and the pro controller (not sure if it comes with nintendo land) that will be £350. i'm getting the black one with assasins creed 3 and nintendo land, hoping to get monster hunter and rayman legends when they come out and i'm thinking about getting zombi u

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature

Response to The Wii U official hub thread. 2012-11-11 14:37:34

I still don't know if I'll get one soon. At the moment there's not a huge amount of games coming that I want. I want pikmin 3 for sure, but that's about it for games I really would like to get on release. the mario bros game looks pretty much like every other NSMB game that's come out so I'm not too excited for that. Games like AC3, Batman, and ME3 I already own. Nintendoland looks okay, but only with friends. The other game I'm excited for is bayonetta 2, but that isn't going to be a release game so I'll have to wait for that anyway. I tried the rayman game at the store the other day which was pretty good too. That's not really enough for me though at the moment. Maybe in the coming year when the title roster expands some more.

Gamertag: Catspirit123

home forum

BBS Signature

Response to The Wii U official hub thread. 2012-11-11 17:34:31

At this point, the only thing that truly excites me about the Wii U is that it'll be the console that Pikmin 3 is released on.

Although that's not to say I wouldn't purchase New Super Mario Bros. Wii U and Rayman Legends if I had the chance...

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to The Wii U official hub thread. 2012-11-11 21:26:24

I want one!

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to The Wii U official hub thread. 2012-11-11 22:05:23

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1321847/1
Is there really a need for another?

I'm definitely gonna do everything I can to get one considering how affordable they made it. It has great potential, not to mention it's better 3rd party support means much more diversity on GOOD nintendo games.
The fact that Bayonetta went from being a PS3 and 360 game to a Wii U EXCLUSIVE tells me they clearly saw something in the Wii U the other 2 couldn't live up to.
Or they were bought out, whatever.

The guy below me is gay

BBS Signature

Response to The Wii U official hub thread. 2012-11-11 22:24:12

I really want one. Seeing as I missed out on the Wii for the most part, and hearing the Wii U is backwards compatible I thought I may as well get a Wii U, get the best of both worlds.

Also it comes with the HDMI cable. Hot damn, I love that!

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to The Wii U official hub thread. 2012-11-12 14:08:09

I still prefer the WLL popstation.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to The Wii U official hub thread. 2012-11-15 21:01:11

Here is a neat little video detailing the online features. Skip to 14:01 for oranges.

I'm really excited for this console. I usually get really excited near the release since Nintendo likes to reveal lots of cool things close to launch, and this console is no exception.

Response to The Wii U official hub thread. 2012-11-16 01:50:26

I just get more and more excited each day.

I went and added scribblenauts and the Wii U pro controller to my pre order list the other day. These launch games and the future potential of this system have me completely excited.

Response to The Wii U official hub thread. 2012-11-17 10:56:49

Well this sucks, my Zombi U premium edition order has been canceled, there are no more of them coming to my country this year, the store offered me the basic edition and 5 euros gift card...

Well, I gave them response telling that I can wait for next year, but even if the ZombI U edition won't be available anymore then just get me that premium edition.

Weird thing is that I made my order the first day it was possible and already paid for it, I guess that doesn't matter, still it kinda sucks, only reason why I won't accept the basic one is that the premium just seems to be so much better deal.

BBS Signature

Response to The Wii U official hub thread. 2012-11-17 17:24:28

if only i lived in the states, you're all lucky, you get it in a few hours but me and some other poor saps on newgrounds have to wait until November 30th

BBS Signature

Response to The Wii U official hub thread. 2012-11-17 19:30:55

Getting mine at 10 AM tomorrow. Going to play some Nintendo Land and most likely New Super Mario bros U.

Response to The Wii U official hub thread. 2012-11-17 23:20:49

Been watching the gaming sites very closely, very exciting! Also watching Neogaf to see how long it takes 'em to figure out the specs. I'm not a graphics whore, but I'm honestly very curious to see how this will hold up to the inevitable Ps4/720.

Response to The Wii U official hub thread. 2012-11-18 08:09:34

A quick heads up to all Yanks who have bought the wii u or if you are getting it in the next week or so. Nintendo has delayed some apps like Hulu, Netflix, Nintendo tvii and youtube. I think it's because of some problems and errors, but I'm not too sure, however online play, Nintendo e shop and backwards compatibility will be available with the day one update. Nintendo tvii will be available in December and the others will be available in the weeks to come. click here for more info

BBS Signature

Response to The Wii U official hub thread. 2012-11-18 12:07:57

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqdwT2pKYzY&NR=1&feature=ends creen
I had no idea about this
My testicles just exploded.

The guy below me is gay

BBS Signature

Response to The Wii U official hub thread. 2012-11-18 12:20:26

At 11/18/12 12:07 PM, ifureadthisdie wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqdwT2pKYzY&NR=1&feature=ends creen
I had no idea about this
My testicles just exploded.

That is indeed very cool. I'll have to pick that up along with Pikmin 3 when they finally launch and I can afford the Wii U.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to The Wii U official hub thread. 2012-11-18 15:12:54

The Wii U sounds like it's copying the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. It says it will have 2 GB of RAM and 8-32 GB of space available, but I'm hearing that the 3rd Xbox will have twice that amount.

I'm not trying to hate the Wii U, I'm just speculating if it is copying the consoles we have now, one example is the Wii U Pro Controller looks very similar to an Xbox 360 controller, with some changes. On the bright side, they are introducing Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video and Youtube. I'm also excited about the fourth Smash Bros. Installment, which will hopefully introduce some third-party characters we all wanted in the game.

That Scout is a Soldier!

BBS Signature

Response to The Wii U official hub thread. 2012-11-18 18:48:14

At 11/18/12 03:12 PM, scoutthesoldier wrote: The Wii U sounds like it's copying the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.

Yeah, because both consoles have touch pads. Thats a fucking stupid conclusion. HD console, yes. Copy? Fuck no.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to The Wii U official hub thread. 2012-11-18 19:14:56

So essentially, to register someone as a friend, you have to enter someone's ID.

Mine is Bobbybroccoli. Once people start leaving their IDs here, we can start accepting each other as friends. Loving the system so far.

Response to The Wii U official hub thread. 2012-11-18 19:40:43

I got my Wii U today!

My gamestop waiting list spot came up on day 1. I feel so lucky :D

Response to The Wii U official hub thread. 2012-11-19 13:39:33

HD console, yes. Copy? Fuck no.

Actually no. The wii u is the first ever console to play true hd, the ps3 and xbox could but they struggled playing 1080p or something like that, but the wii u is completely fine. Besides it's not unoriginal to have a hd console

BBS Signature

Response to The Wii U official hub thread. 2012-11-19 15:58:02

The internet browser on this is amazing! Not crap at all!

Posted from my Wii U.

Response to The Wii U official hub thread. 2012-11-19 20:58:08

At 11/19/12 05:04 PM, Cootie wrote: I was very interested in playing ZombiU in case I ever picked up one of these consoles, but IGN says that the game isn't so good and gave it a mere 6.3 review. Now, some other sites have given it better but I was hoping for rave reviews.

Saw IGN's score and was a little upset because the game looked cool. Then I watched Giant Bomb's Quick Look and I thought it looked really fun. I want a Wii U mostly for this game at the moment./

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to The Wii U official hub thread. 2012-11-19 20:59:34

At 11/19/12 03:58 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote: The internet browser on this is amazing! Not crap at all!

Posted from my Wii U.

Did you post quickly, seemlessly, and with no lag, slowdown, or crashes?

The browser on PS3 is shit, almost unusable. It suffers from the above mentioned problems, same with the Xbox I hear, so im skeptical on a good browser for consoles.

Any comments on multiplayer? Servers working okay? Connectivity issues? Joining matches working out? Er, well are even any multiplayer games out yet?

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to The Wii U official hub thread. 2012-11-19 21:01:20

At 11/19/12 08:59 PM, sweet21 wrote: same with the Xbox I hear, so im skeptical on a good browser for consoles.

What? Internet Explorer on the 360 is actually very good.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature