• 20 Replies
Skaren
Skaren
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Artist
Unscouted from Art Portal? Nov. 8th, 2012 @ 02:40 PM

It seems as if I've been unscouted from the Art Portal, I wasn't notified about a reason or anything, can someone please explain as to why?

Luwano
Luwano
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 37
Art Lover
Response to Unscouted from Art Portal? Nov. 8th, 2012 @ 02:44 PM

At 11/8/12 02:40 PM, Skaren wrote: It seems as if I've been unscouted from the Art Portal, I wasn't notified about a reason or anything, can someone please explain as to why?

If you haven't been notified, chances are that the user who scouted you got unscouted. This also automatically affects you. If you remember the user's name you could check if he/she is unscouted now.

BBS Signature
Skaren
Skaren
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Artist
Response to Unscouted from Art Portal? Nov. 8th, 2012 @ 02:48 PM

At 11/8/12 02:44 PM, Luwano wrote:
At 11/8/12 02:40 PM, Skaren wrote: It seems as if I've been unscouted from the Art Portal, I wasn't notified about a reason or anything, can someone please explain as to why?
If you haven't been notified, chances are that the user who scouted you got unscouted. This also automatically affects you. If you remember the user's name you could check if he/she is unscouted now.

Yep, they're unscouted. So now I basically have to wait for another artist to scout me? Seems a bit unfair, but it makes sense.

lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Unscouted from Art Portal? Nov. 9th, 2012 @ 02:05 AM

Check out Ornery's Handy Dandy Scouting Guide if you still have questions.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
macboo11
macboo11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Unscouted from Art Portal? Nov. 9th, 2012 @ 03:41 PM

it happens i remember when that happen to me i was like. Wtf? but keep at it if you got scouted once your probly doing something right good luck

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Unscouted from Art Portal? Nov. 9th, 2012 @ 04:02 PM

At 11/8/12 02:48 PM, Skaren wrote: Yep, they're unscouted. So now I basically have to wait for another artist to scout me? Seems a bit unfair, but it makes sense.

Not really. If you've been scouted you should stay scouted, irregardless of the person who scouted you. I see many artists complain, many GOOD artists, and most of the time its because the user who scouted them was unscouted.
Theres also a domino effect into play. If one gets unscouted so do the people he scouted and the people they scouted.

I have an idea to remedy this if the idea of "let em stay that way" doesn't work, how about if an artist gets scouted, they are unaffected from being descouted so long as they keep a certain rating of 'average' for their content.

Or multiple scouts can support one artist with 'thumbs ups' or something, essentially creating a net.

Just my two cents.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Unscouted from Art Portal? Nov. 10th, 2012 @ 01:09 AM

At 11/9/12 04:02 PM, sweet21 wrote:
I have an idea to remedy this if the idea of "let em stay that way" doesn't work, how about if an artist gets scouted, they are unaffected from being descouted so long as they keep a certain rating of 'average' for their content.

Or multiple scouts can support one artist with 'thumbs ups' or something, essentially creating a net.

Seems unnecessary to me. If your work is good enough to get you scouted once by someone with appropriate standards you should have no problem getting scouted again. Also the art mods are careful when pruning people to make sure that skilled artists don't get lost in the mass of unscouted material. It's why ornery has so many scouts you can't even view the list.

I can see it being a problem for artists whose work is persistently borderline portal-worthy, but perhaps that will serve as an impetus for them to improve.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Unscouted from Art Portal? Nov. 10th, 2012 @ 04:35 AM

At 11/10/12 01:09 AM, lovingthedark wrote: It's why ornery has so many scouts you can't even view the list.

oh hey never noticed that... does that happen after 300 scouts?

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Unscouted from Art Portal? Nov. 10th, 2012 @ 08:07 AM

At 11/9/12 04:02 PM, sweet21 wrote: Not really. If you've been scouted you should stay scouted, irregardless of the person who scouted you.

No, because some of the people who get scouted by crap artists are even worse. The quality threshold gets lower and lower the further down the scouting tree you go.

Just my two cents.

And i really hate when people use this phrase to pardon their opinion.

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Unscouted from Art Portal? Nov. 10th, 2012 @ 03:40 PM

At 11/10/12 08:07 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 11/9/12 04:02 PM, sweet21 wrote: Not really. If you've been scouted you should stay scouted, irregardless of the person who scouted you.
No, because some of the people who get scouted by crap artists are even worse. The quality threshold gets lower and lower the further down the scouting tree you go.
Just my two cents.

In reality, I think the art portal should be open to EVERYONE; not just a select few. This makes the art portal a lot less fair for those who want in, despite the quality of their work. I think the portal should be open to people of ALL skill levels and whose art comes from ALL qualities, regardless of standards. What you guys have now is WAY unfair. Just voicing my opinion, so don't un-scout me.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
Tomsan
Tomsan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Unscouted from Art Portal? Nov. 10th, 2012 @ 04:04 PM

At 11/10/12 03:40 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:
Just my two cents.
In reality, I think the art portal should be open to EVERYONE; not just a select few. This makes the art portal a lot less fair for those who want in, despite the quality of their work. I think the portal should be open to people of ALL skill levels and whose art comes from ALL qualities, regardless of standards. What you guys have now is WAY unfair. Just voicing my opinion, so don't un-scout me.

trolling or not, if the art portal is flooded with crappy MS paint drawings what business do I have there to scroll through all the art. If I have to look at 20 shitty pics to see one nice one, it will be a disaster. This is logical and intuitive. Only other option is a similar system as the flash entries where stuff is removed if it doesnt gets past a certain threshold. This has already been discussed.

... but you should count yourself lucky that isnt the case.

its just a solid system.

God invented evolution 'cause he couldn't do it all by himself! Awesome Tees!

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Unscouted from Art Portal? Nov. 10th, 2012 @ 04:15 PM

At 11/10/12 03:40 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: In reality, I think the art portal should be open to EVERYONE; not just a select few. This makes the art portal a lot less fair for those who want in, despite the quality of their work. I think the portal should be open to people of ALL skill levels and whose art comes from ALL qualities, regardless of standards. What you guys have now is WAY unfair. Just voicing my opinion, so don't un-scout me.

If you want that, then go to deviantart, where the name of the game is quantity over quality.
The art portal has a set quality threshold, and if you don't meet that, you're not in, end of story/

Zakuga
Zakuga
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Unscouted from Art Portal? Nov. 10th, 2012 @ 04:18 PM

Where on your profile does it say if you are still scouted or not?

re

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Unscouted from Art Portal? Nov. 10th, 2012 @ 05:28 PM

At 11/10/12 04:18 PM, Zakuga wrote: Where on your profile does it say if you are still scouted or not?

On your profile, go to the art tab.
At the bottom, it will say if you're scouted or not.

Zakuga
Zakuga
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Unscouted from Art Portal? Nov. 10th, 2012 @ 05:32 PM

At 11/10/12 05:28 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 11/10/12 04:18 PM, Zakuga wrote: Where on your profile does it say if you are still scouted or not?
On your profile, go to the art tab.
At the bottom, it will say if you're scouted or not.

Ah, thank you.

re

DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Unscouted from Art Portal? Nov. 10th, 2012 @ 09:56 PM

At 11/10/12 04:04 PM, Tomsan wrote:
At 11/10/12 03:40 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:
Just my two cents.
trolling or not, if the art portal is flooded with crappy MS paint drawings what business do I have there to scroll through all the art. If I have to look at 20 shitty pics to see one nice one, it will be a disaster. This is logical and intuitive. Only other option is a similar system as the flash entries where stuff is removed if it doesnt gets past a certain threshold. This has already been discussed.

... but you should count yourself lucky that isnt the case.

its just a solid system.

I have a solution: Have different sections. One for NEWEST (which will move to the Popular section once they reach a certain amount of views, get a 3.5 or above), one for most popular (those with the most views and highest scores and can be given this distinction withing a short amount of time), and one for highest rated within 8 hours. Also, give the users options of which section they would like to be on top so they can go directly to the popular section, and also go into the popular within 8 hours section. DeviantART does it, and 95% of the time, the artwork is absolutely stunning.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Unscouted from Art Portal? Nov. 11th, 2012 @ 12:10 AM

At 11/10/12 09:56 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:
I have a solution: Have different sections. One for NEWEST (which will move to the Popular section once they reach a certain amount of views, get a 3.5 or above), one for most popular (those with the most views and highest scores and can be given this distinction withing a short amount of time), and one for highest rated within 8 hours. Also, give the users options of which section they would like to be on top so they can go directly to the popular section, and also go into the popular within 8 hours section. DeviantART does it, and 95% of the time, the artwork is absolutely stunning.

You just restated the whole idea for the art portal then. The whole concept of the Art Portal is to showcase people who deserve praise by their peers. THEY ARE THE DIFFERENT SECTION. Also we have several ways to getting to filterd art.

1. Scrolling over the Art tab and seeing options: Latest, Greatest, Popular, and Art Forum(For thread )
2.Clicking on said Art tab and viewing the various categories, "Brand Spankin New," "Popular," "Best Art This Month," "Best Art This Year," and "High Ranking Classics"
3.On the left you can choose which category of Art you want: Illustration, Fine Art, 3D, Pixel, and Other.

I also have to ask Hiryu, are you a Republican? You have a tendency to derail conversations off the main topic, and pull up bogus numbers about subjective points. "95% of the time the artwork is absolutely stunning."

Why is it 95%? Why not 99% or 99.9%?

3DS FC: 4442-0200-7535
So yeah follow this neat little do-dad to get a free trip to my Art Thread. I also endorse Retsupurae on my own volition

BBS Signature
Luwano
Luwano
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 37
Art Lover
Response to Unscouted from Art Portal? Nov. 11th, 2012 @ 07:37 AM

At 11/11/12 12:10 AM, Absinthe wrote: I also have to ask Hiryu, are you a Republican? You have a tendency to derail conversations off the main topic, and pull up bogus numbers about subjective points. "95% of the time the artwork is absolutely stunning."

Look, you are right with the part where you reponded to the topic, so thanks for that. This last part however doesn't belong here. Optimally this doesn't belong anywhere, but if you want to discuss this with another user, you should PM him or take it to the politics forum.

On topic: As mentioned before, the mods usually make sure the majority of artists affected by the clipping of a user with many scoutees get rescouted as soon as possible. The only thing I'd wish for, was the option to include unscouted artists in your tag search, kinda like it works for the audio portal. Or just have the option to search in the already existing unscouted section.

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Unscouted from Art Portal? Nov. 11th, 2012 @ 09:20 AM

At 11/11/12 07:37 AM, Luwano wrote:
At 11/11/12 12:10 AM, Absinthe wrote: I also have to ask Hiryu, are you a Republican? You have a tendency to derail conversations off the main topic, and pull up bogus numbers about subjective points. "95% of the time the artwork is absolutely stunning."

Look, you are right with the part where you reponded to the topic, so thanks for that. This last part however doesn't belong here. Optimally this doesn't belong anywhere, but if you want to discuss this with another user, you should PM him or take it to the politics forum.

On topic: As mentioned before, the mods usually make sure the majority of artists affected by the clipping of a user with many scoutees get rescouted as soon as possible. The only thing I'd wish for, was the option to include unscouted artists in your tag search, kinda like it works for the audio portal. Or just have the option to search in the already existing unscouted section.

I think that would be an even better idea than mine, but hey! It works, right? Anyways, I think unscouted works should be displayed in their own portal when click the art tab. I mean, also as in actual thumbnails displaying a preview of the art, not some stupid linked text that says "unscouted works" that's hard to find. I think people should also have the option of voting on unscouted works, and I think the voting system needs to be fixed. I think EVERYONE'S vote should be the same. With voting power added into the mix, you have way too much potential for abuse. THIS is just one example of that abuse at work, and it needs to be fixed to be fair for everyone to be on equal grounds:

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Unscouted from Art Portal? Nov. 11th, 2012 @ 10:55 AM

At 11/11/12 09:20 AM, HiryuGouki wrote: and I think the voting system needs to be fixed. I think EVERYONE'S vote should be the same. With voting power added into the mix, you have way too much potential for abuse.

um, you do know that in the Art portal that everyone's voting power is only counted as 1, right? Our increased power isn't added to the Art portal. If memory serves, it only applies to the Flash portal.
So how about actually knowing about something before you try and use it to make yourself look like a victim again.

Moving on from this stupidity.
The art portal works, its not a perfect system, its not a complete system, and its not always fair but it has the core spirit of Newgrounds where the users have a say in what they see and want. And that makes it a great system for Newgrounds

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Unscouted from Art Portal? Nov. 11th, 2012 @ 12:47 PM

Bottom line... the art portal is what it is. Take it or leave it.