New Topic Respond to this Topic
5tarboy
5tarboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Melancholy
Audio portal licensing Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 01:55 PM Reply

As I understand the audio in the portal is free to use as long as your not making money off of it. Although, if someone were to submit a decent flash game they would most likely put it up for bid for sponsorship thus hindering the entire use of the audio portal.

Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Audio portal licensing Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 02:07 PM Reply

Is this a personal revelation or do you think nobody has encountered this before?

If a Flash author invites you to join a project and/or offers a % of ad revenue, this is a contractual offer with an implicit licensing agreement. By accepting, you're agreeing to the terms of the contract, and allowing commercial use of your track in that game.

If someone uses your track in a commercial game without your permission, you have the right to ask them to remove your music from the game or pay you some money. If not, you can file a copyright infringement takedown notice with the site admins, and ask them to remove or block the game/movie on copyright grounds.

5tarboy
5tarboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Melancholy
Response to Audio portal licensing Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 02:22 PM Reply

At 11/7/12 02:07 PM, RampantMusik wrote: Is this a personal revelation or do you think nobody has encountered this before?

It just seems very limiting the way the audio portal is setup.

If a Flash author invites you to join a project and/or offers a % of ad revenue, this is a contractual offer with an implicit licensing agreement. By accepting, you're agreeing to the terms of the contract, and allowing commercial use of your track in that game.

Right, but is any audio artist here humble enough to allow it to be used without a % of revenue? The majority of the work for a flash game is programming and art/animation. If I was submitting a game I would just make the audio myself rather than have amateur composers take a cut of my work.

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Musician
Response to Audio portal licensing Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 02:38 PM Reply

At 11/7/12 02:22 PM, 5tarboy wrote:
Right, but is any audio artist here humble enough to allow it to be used without a % of revenue?

There are many composers here who do limited work for free.

The majority of the work for a flash game is programming and art/animation.

Not always true. Every component, music and sound effects included are considered part of the project. Music and sound effects are a huge part of flash games.

If I was submitting a game I would just make the audio myself rather than have amateur composers take a cut of my work.

There's a lot of quality musicians on this site that are amateur.

Perhaps you are misinformed and or naive, but if you want to work well with others and open bridges of communication, you have to respect every aspect of the creation of successful games.

joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Audio portal licensing Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 02:44 PM Reply

At 11/7/12 02:22 PM, 5tarboy wrote: If I was submitting a game I would just make the audio myself rather than have amateur composers take a cut of my work.

Right, well it sounds like you've solved your own problem then. I'm sure it will sound every bit as good and be every bit as rewarding to listen to for the end-user as something you pay for from someone with the proper tools.

Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Audio portal licensing Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 02:58 PM Reply

At 11/7/12 02:22 PM, 5tarboy wrote: Right, but is any audio artist here humble enough to allow it to be used without a % of revenue?

Well, are you humble enough to let someone use *your* work for free? I love hypocrits who expect others to work for them for free.

The majority of the work for a flash game is programming and art/animation. If I was submitting a game I would just make the audio myself rather than have amateur composers take a cut of my work.

And I'm sure it will sound just as good as someone who has been honing their audio skills for years. While many people here are amateurs, there are plenty of others - like myself - who do composition professionally.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Audio portal licensing Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 03:00 PM Reply

those god damn greedy musicians. why don't they all just hand out their hard work built on a foundation of experience and skill and expensive gear/software for free so people can make money off it? who do these amateurs think they are?

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Audio portal licensing Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 03:13 PM Reply

Some people here make music for free, most don't, and frankly it's perfectly fair to ask for money for music. Don't underestimate how long it takes to make music... making one fairly long song takes some people (me included) collectively up to thirty hours, if not longer. A friend of mine takes around 80 hours to make just one long song. Sure, it takes others just around 10 hours or so, but you can't judge how long it takes since it's different for everyone, and still, I can speak for everyone when I say that making a good original decently-sized song isn't a matter of a few minutes of dicking around in a music program.

And these don't need to be estimations; I can literally bring up my project files and show you the message that says how long I've been working on songs. My three latest long songs took me 28 hours, 34 hours and 36 hours, if my memory serves me correctly... and those are just for individual songs, let alone a whole game soundtrack. Now whether it takes you a lot longer to make a flash game or not still won't negate the fact that all those hours amount to a hell of a lot of work and if you're making money partly out of that work, then learn to share. Or, of course, you can always try making music yourself. Maybe you can whip up something decent-sounding in a year or four.

So yeah, you're either trolling or being really dumb.

Review Request Club | PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS I BEG YOU | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for any Audio Portal-related help.

BBS Signature
camoshark
camoshark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Audio portal licensing Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 03:13 PM Reply

This whole thread is hilarious.

Innovative works come from lateral thinking. NGADM Paring List 2013!
SoundCloud | Logical-Defiance | Facebook

BBS Signature
5tarboy
5tarboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Melancholy
Response to Audio portal licensing Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 03:27 PM Reply

At 11/7/12 02:58 PM, RampantMusik wrote:
And I'm sure it will sound just as good as someone who has been honing their audio skills for years.

I'm sure it will being I actually play instruments rather than pushing buttons in Fruity Loops like you guys.

joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Audio portal licensing Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 03:33 PM Reply

At 11/7/12 03:27 PM, 5tarboy wrote:
At 11/7/12 02:58 PM, RampantMusik wrote:
And I'm sure it will sound just as good as someone who has been honing their audio skills for years.
I'm sure it will being I actually play instruments rather than pushing buttons in Fruity Loops like you guys.

I'm sure it'll sound nice on your tape recorder.

joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Audio portal licensing Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 03:34 PM Reply

If you can write something that sounds better than this, then I'll concede that you win the thread 5starboy.

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Audio portal licensing Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 03:42 PM Reply

At 11/7/12 03:27 PM, 5tarboy wrote: I'm sure it will being I actually play instruments rather than pushing buttons in Fruity Loops like you guys.

Yeah I think I'll stop taking you seriously from now on.

Review Request Club | PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS I BEG YOU | Formerly Supersteph54

BBS Signature
5tarboy
5tarboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Melancholy
Response to Audio portal licensing Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 04:13 PM Reply

At 11/7/12 03:33 PM, joshhunsaker wrote:
I'm sure it'll sound nice on your tape recorder.

Really? Too bad I have firepod pres, or is that still not good enough, maybe get avalons instead? Or will my computer not handle it? Maybe get rid of my macbook pro? Vocals probably won't cut though with my Blue condenser mic? You guys are seriously the most arrogant assumptive group of people I have ever encountered. You lack much knowledge about your craft and are to close minded to discuss a different perspective. I don't know why I waste my time.

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Musician
Response to Audio portal licensing Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 04:20 PM Reply

At 11/7/12 03:27 PM, 5tarboy wrote:

Um, so how would you know that we all use Fruity Loops? Because I certainly don't.

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Audio portal licensing Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 04:21 PM Reply

At 11/7/12 04:13 PM, 5tarboy wrote: Really? Too bad I have firepod pres, or is that still not good enough, maybe get avalons instead? Or will my computer not handle it? Maybe get rid of my macbook pro? Vocals probably won't cut though with my Blue condenser mic? You guys are seriously the most arrogant assumptive group of people I have ever encountered. You lack much knowledge about your craft and are to close minded to discuss a different perspective. I don't know why I waste my time.

Until we see solid proof that you are able to make music that is better than the music of at least one of the musicians who posted in this thread, then we're all wasting our time here.

BBS Signature
camoshark
camoshark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Audio portal licensing Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 04:24 PM Reply

Guys, please, for the love of god, would you all stop feeding the trolls? I mean it's not exactly subtle, now is it?

Innovative works come from lateral thinking. NGADM Paring List 2013!
SoundCloud | Logical-Defiance | Facebook

BBS Signature
joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Audio portal licensing Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 04:29 PM Reply

At 11/7/12 04:13 PM, 5tarboy wrote: You lack much knowledge about your craft and are to close minded to discuss a different perspective. I don't know why I waste my time.

Wow, so I and some of the others posting here lack knowledge about this music production stuff huh?

Well, you got us guys all figured out. I'll go back to typing notes in my "Fruityloops" and making money from it.

NickPerrin
NickPerrin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Audio portal licensing Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 04:35 PM Reply

At 11/7/12 03:27 PM, 5tarboy wrote: I'm sure it will being I actually play instruments rather than pushing buttons in Fruity Loops like you guys.

This is going downhill very very fast. Are you actually trying to foster a better relationship with audio artists here or did you come just to prove a point about your ego?

For the record, there is a huge number of us who play actual instruments, a huge number of us who do not use Fruity Loops, a huge number of us who are musically educated (whether traditionally/formally or otherwise), and a huge number of us who when our craft is respected will produce material far better than those who have not focused solely or primarily on music for the past 5 to 15 years of their life.

So I suggest we all just SQUASH THIS BEEF RIGHT NOW before it gets more aggressive. Make love, not war. Isn't that what music's all about? :) :) :)
Certainly, the reaction to your manner of speaking in this thread was a little passive-aggressive, but please understand that many of us are tired of sound/music not being given the respect it deserves. That's all. No one wants to poop on game devs, programmers or artists, so don't poop on us!

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Audio portal licensing Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 04:37 PM Reply

At 11/7/12 04:24 PM, camoshark wrote: Guys, please, for the love of god, would you all stop feeding the trolls? I mean it's not exactly subtle, now is it?

Of all the ways you could be a troll, why like this? The original post isn't all that wacky and this kind of "audio is a simple and trivial part of movies and games so people should just be nice and do that for free in fact they should be thankful for the free publicity" thinking represents a surprisingly commonly held view, so of course people get fired up about it.