New Topic Respond to this Topic
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Musician
Mac12 - Christmas Discussion Topic Nov. 4th, 2012 @ 11:30 PM Reply

All discussion about the Mac12 - Christmas Audio Contest should go below. Use the other thread for song entries only. Thank-you.

jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Mac12 - Christmas Discussion Topic Nov. 4th, 2012 @ 11:52 PM Reply

At 11/4/12 11:34 PM, Lasse wrote: So the contest that's hosted by newgrounds and not monthly is called the monthly audio contest whilst the unofficial and actually monthly one is called the newgrounds audio contest?

unofficial but has Tom support lol

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Christmas Discussion Topic Nov. 5th, 2012 @ 12:36 AM Reply

Now this is a contest I wish I had time to take part in.

Hope it all goes well.

Review Request Club | PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS I BEG YOU | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for any Audio Portal-related help.

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Mac12 - Christmas Discussion Topic Nov. 5th, 2012 @ 02:31 AM Reply

yay im judging.

lel

m0lecule
m0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Mac12 - Christmas Discussion Topic Nov. 5th, 2012 @ 10:54 AM Reply

Finally! I was wondering when do MAC comes to replace... em... other suckio contests.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to Mac12 - Christmas Discussion Topic Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 09:29 AM Reply

At 11/4/12 11:34 PM, Lasse wrote: So the contest that's hosted by newgrounds and not monthly is called the monthly audio contest whilst the unofficial and actually monthly one is called the newgrounds audio contest?

they're both official.

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Christmas Discussion Topic Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 09:31 AM Reply

Neither is official.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to Mac12 - Christmas Discussion Topic Nov. 8th, 2012 @ 09:25 AM Reply

At 11/7/12 09:31 AM, Buoy wrote:
Neither is official.

if newgrounds supports it with prizes and it is consistant and it is frontpaged it is official. Both are.

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!

BBS Signature
Bosa
Bosa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Christmas Discussion Topic Nov. 8th, 2012 @ 09:39 AM Reply

I'm the only official Newgrounds Audio Portal. Submit all your songs unto me.

Those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to Mac12 - Christmas Discussion Topic Nov. 8th, 2012 @ 01:08 PM Reply

At 11/8/12 09:39 AM, Bosa wrote: I'm the only official Newgrounds Audio Portal. Submit all your songs unto me.

*rapes audio portal*

BBS Signature
Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to Mac12 - Christmas Discussion Topic Nov. 8th, 2012 @ 02:54 PM Reply

Sweet deal! Can't wait to listen to the contestants. ^_______^

It was monthly at first, the ambition was to keep it that way, but it made sense not to throw a contest every single month to keep it interesting and only showcase good and well thought themes. Me and LJCoffee thought "MAC" had a sweet ring to it too. :)

At 11/8/12 09:25 AM, Chronamut wrote:
Neither is official.
if newgrounds supports it with prizes and it is consistant and it is frontpaged it is official. Both are.

If Newgrounds staff create something I would think it's fair to call it official. If not, or having Tom's blessing to call it "offical" (in which case he would most likely like to be part of it himself, or someone who actually works for NG), then it's nothing but a fan based contest, supported by Newgrounds. That's why I think it's not right to include "Newgrounds" in the name of a contest.
Let's say someone made a fan based video contest for Youtube. Calling it "Youtube Video Contest" would be using a trademark in an illegal way, even if the contest was based and held on Youtube. Newgrounds is a trademark. You can't run around and think you can use it however you want just because Tom happen to be a really nice guy *cough cough cough making audio contests with a theme of ones own ego and still not getting murdered by Tom because Tom happens to be a really really nice guy, and then actually repeating the ego-move even if less prominent the following year by only referring to oneself in the title cough*. COUGH
...inbetween the coughs most people could probably read:
- "You have a massive ego and it's getting in the way of everything you touch. And you seem to never learn or understand what you're doing wrong, because you repeat yourself over and over. It's like Midas, but with the touching having everything revolve around yourself instead. It's a bad thing."

Newgrounds can frontpage whatever they want, but the FP-support is not directly given by NG-staff, rather audio moderators, who all voulenteer to help the site out with various audio-related tasks.

Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Christmas Discussion Topic Nov. 25th, 2012 @ 03:08 AM Reply

Friendly little reminder that there's only 3 weeks to go before the deadline and there's hardly any entries yet ;).

I hope you are all just using the extra time to polish up your entries?

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Christmas Discussion Topic Nov. 25th, 2012 @ 03:12 AM Reply

I'm making something. I'm not supposed to have time to make something but screw schoolwork.

No clue if I'll get it done on time though.

Review Request Club | PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS I BEG YOU | Formerly Supersteph54

BBS Signature
DivoFST
DivoFST
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Christmas Discussion Topic Nov. 25th, 2012 @ 10:08 AM Reply

I haven't started yet but i am thinking about being part of this :D

No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...
Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Christmas Discussion Topic Nov. 26th, 2012 @ 12:47 PM Reply

I entered something, hope you enjoy it :)

bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Christmas Discussion Topic Nov. 26th, 2012 @ 12:48 PM Reply

I've got some pretty neat ideas regarding this... gonna get crackin'. :D

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Christmas Discussion Topic Nov. 26th, 2012 @ 01:15 PM Reply

At 11/26/12 12:48 PM, bassfiddlejones wrote: I've got some pretty neat ideas regarding this... gonna get crackin'. :D

I was hoping you wouldn't join. There go my hopes of doing well.

BBS Signature
bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Christmas Discussion Topic Nov. 26th, 2012 @ 11:39 PM Reply

At 11/26/12 01:15 PM, Step wrote:
At 11/26/12 12:48 PM, bassfiddlejones wrote: I've got some pretty neat ideas regarding this... gonna get crackin'. :D

haha... wouldn't be too worried just yet. : ) Though, if all goes well my wife will be lending me her magnificent voice.

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Christmas Discussion Topic Nov. 27th, 2012 @ 12:23 AM Reply

At 11/26/12 11:39 PM, bassfiddlejones wrote: haha... wouldn't be too worried just yet. : ) Though, if all goes well my wife will be lending me her magnificent voice.

Yeah that's making me a feel a lot better thanks.

BBS Signature
bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Christmas Discussion Topic Nov. 27th, 2012 @ 12:49 AM Reply

At 11/27/12 12:23 AM, Step wrote:
At 11/26/12 11:39 PM, bassfiddlejones wrote: haha... wouldn't be too worried just yet. : ) Though, if all goes well my wife will be lending me her magnificent voice.
Yeah that's making me a feel a lot better thanks.

Well, that's if we get finished in time. Life sometimes gets in the way of things. I want to do this right. (even if it's late I'll most likely still post it)

dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Mac12 - Christmas Discussion Topic Nov. 27th, 2012 @ 10:15 AM Reply

At 11/26/12 01:15 PM, Step wrote:

I was hoping both of you would not join. There goes my dream of winning. Hah!

What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Christmas Discussion Topic Nov. 28th, 2012 @ 09:51 PM Reply

Oh psshh come on guys, don't participate just to win, "participate to celebrate", put your heart in the music! Even if it doesn't win, we'll have another awesome Christmas music collection to listen to full of great tracks. I might end up downloading all of them and putting them on my Ipod as the "MAC12 Christmas Mix". Have fun!

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to Mac12 - Christmas Discussion Topic Nov. 29th, 2012 @ 07:35 PM Reply

At 11/8/12 09:25 AM, Chronamut wrote:
Neither is official.
If Newgrounds staff create something I would think it's fair to call it official. If not, or having Tom's blessing to call it "offical" (in which case he would most likely like to be part of it himself, or someone who actually works for NG), then it's nothing but a fan based contest, supported by Newgrounds. That's why I think it's not right to include "Newgrounds" in the name of a contest.
Let's say someone made a fan based video contest for Youtube. Calling it "Youtube Video Contest" would be using a trademark in an illegal way, even if the contest was based and held on Youtube. Newgrounds is a trademark. You can't run around and think you can use it however you want just because Tom happen to be a really nice guy *cough cough cough making audio contests with a theme of ones own ego and still not getting murdered by Tom because Tom happens to be a really really nice guy, and then actually repeating the ego-move even if less prominent the following year by only referring to oneself in the title cough*. COUGH
...inbetween the coughs most people could probably read:
- "You have a massive ego and it's getting in the way of everything you touch. And you seem to never learn or understand what you're doing wrong, because you repeat yourself over and over. It's like Midas, but with the touching having everything revolve around yourself instead. It's a bad thing."

Newgrounds can frontpage whatever they want, but the FP-support is not directly given by NG-staff, rather audio moderators, who all voulenteer to help the site out with various audio-related tasks.

you are right, I could not see the error or my ways.. I see how you see things now. Since I am not a mod and I call it newgrounds and the ng staff are not involved in the contest it makes it seem like I am trying to run the show and place my ego on the whole thing. That wasn't my intent. I just wanted to provide them with a monthly contest and be involved in newgrounds. So you are right. It isn't an official contest, and the goal wasn't to have everything revolve around me, I just wanted the contests to be consistant and last. If it was all about me I would never have taken the ideas of anyone else or let anyone else judge.

Tbh I am glad the MACs are back, as that was the goal the whole time. Have fun guys

and I'm sorry rucklo.

BBS Signature
deadlyfishes
deadlyfishes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Christmas Discussion Topic Nov. 30th, 2012 @ 12:48 PM Reply

Can I remix classical music that is christmas related? Trust me, though it will be recognizable it will be very original.

<Professional Composer> <AudioJungle Reviewer>
OFFICIAL MUSIC SITE!
Check out something I did for NATA 2013! Hikarian's winning NATA 2013 Entry

BBS Signature
camoshark
camoshark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Christmas Discussion Topic Nov. 30th, 2012 @ 12:57 PM Reply

At 11/30/12 12:48 PM, deadlyfishes wrote: Can I remix classical music that is christmas related? Trust me, though it will be recognizable it will be very original.

Straight from the rules:
- No covers. All melodies contained in your submission must be composed ENTIRELY by yourself.
- Songs must be NEWLY COMPOSED and created for this competition.

Innovative works come from lateral thinking. NGADM Paring List 2013!
SoundCloud | Logical-Defiance | Facebook

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Christmas Discussion Topic Nov. 30th, 2012 @ 12:57 PM Reply

At 11/30/12 12:48 PM, deadlyfishes wrote: Can I remix classical music that is christmas related? Trust me, though it will be recognizable it will be very original.

No, it has to be completely original.

eatmeatleet
eatmeatleet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Christmas Discussion Topic Dec. 2nd, 2012 @ 10:01 AM Reply

At 11/30/12 12:57 PM, BrokenDeck wrote:
No, it has to be completely original.

Nevermind me then, I thought rules are same like last year

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Christmas Discussion Topic Dec. 3rd, 2012 @ 12:34 PM Reply

2 weeks to go people!!!

bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Christmas Discussion Topic Dec. 3rd, 2012 @ 12:50 PM Reply

At 12/3/12 12:34 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: 2 weeks to go people!!!

I'm working on it! Gosh...

MasterCoyle
MasterCoyle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Christmas Discussion Topic Dec. 9th, 2012 @ 03:34 AM Reply

anyone want to go collab? I've got some pretty groovy melodies that I can flick on if anyone wants to spruce them up? message me if you're interested?