New Topic Respond to this Topic
FaeryTaleAdventurer
FaeryTaleAdventurer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
New To Audio Forum? Read Our Rules! Nov. 3rd, 2012 @ 08:44 PM Reply

After seeing so much red today (no pun intended) in this [audio] forum, I think it's time a change was made in not only this forum but other specialty forums.

When I got on here recently, I had wondered why the rules seemed to be ignored so often, and I eventually put two-and-two together and realized that the Audio forum rules aren't obviously present for the forumers to see right away.

Next to the "Create New Topic" button is a button that says "Read The Rules!". It is what this button links to which I believe is perhaps the root cause of why many threads are being locked lately.

The button links to the General Forum Rules for the entire BBS community to follow, *not* just specific to the audio forum. There are people that most likely will overlook the Forum Specific Rules

With this overlooking people are most likely going to ignore or not care about the link, as they may not know what it's meaning is, unless they clicked on it.

Going back to the Newgrounds rules wiki main page, most people when they see this from the Audio forum, may only see the general forum rules as what everyone has to follow when they post in the forum, not the Audio Forum specific rules, which could easily be looked over, depending on how thorough and/or patient the reader is.

In the past I've made many propositions/solutions to help prevent such innocent breaking of the Audio Forum Rules (which can only be found after either spotting the "Forum Specific Rules" link, or scrolling down the left-side menu to find it, after clicking on the "Read The Rules!" button.

This new idea may work as it goes to address the location and adherence of the [audio forum] rules directly:

Since this is the Audio Forum, new Audio people should be able to find and access the Audio Forum Rules quickly and easily, before they post. Instead of a button that says "Read The Rules!", we need a button that says something like "Audio Forum Rules: Read Before Posting", and/or have the button link *DIRECTLY* to the Audio Forum Rules in the Newgrounds Wiki.

The button should also have a different color scheme (like green, to reflect the Audio portal), to better get the user's attention, before he or she posts. Also I'd suggest a positioning towards the center, as people like myself may have their eyes more attracted towards the center and left of the forum area, and then dart up to the upper right corner to post (maybe test this out?), most likely ignoring the rules button.

Also if possible, make a sticky thread ("New to Audio Forum? Read Our Rules!) in the Audio Forum, that will serve as a reminder to look at the Audio Forum Rules before posting, including a LINK within the thread that directs all those interested in posting in Audio (for the first time or whatever) forum.

The Benefits:

- New Audio forum users will see that the Audio Forum has its own rules
-New users will know where to post their content, if the rules demand it.
-All users will know what is and what is not allowed to be discussed in the Audio Forum
-More yellow and gray thread icons, and a lotless red!

Overall, I think the general forum rules are great, but have a stronger priority in non-group specific forums. or more specifically the ones that aren't listed in the "Forum Specific Rules" section of the NewGrounds WIki.

This idea may not be perfect, but surely it will be much better than what we have now. I'm not writing this for me, but for those on this forum and other forums with specific rules, that can't be seen right away! It's for the forum moderators, 'specially the audio ones, whom are mad as hell about having to essentially be a broken record to virtually every other new thread posted.

Please consider this an open letter to the Fulps and all in charge of the structuring of the Newgrounds website. If you like, you may make a copy of this post, and forward it to the site admins (Tom Fulp and Wade Fulp, am I missing anyone else?) with your own words or ideas even, including those who are regulars on other group-specific forums that see a similar problem.

For the "TL,DR" ppl, here's a picture that sums up this post....

New To Audio Forum? Read Our Rules!

FaeryTaleAdventurer
FaeryTaleAdventurer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to New To Audio Forum? Read Our Rules! Nov. 3rd, 2012 @ 08:47 PM Reply

Oops, the title of this thread was supposed to be '"Read The Rules!" is Unattractive", and somehow my text from my Paintbrush app or something got copied into the thread title! Ah well.

Quetya
Quetya
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New To Audio Forum? Read Our Rules! Nov. 3rd, 2012 @ 09:34 PM Reply

Support! <3

This looks well thought out.

Making music can fun, but it can also be as challenging as playing the...

BBS Signature
dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to New To Audio Forum? Read Our Rules! Nov. 3rd, 2012 @ 10:43 PM Reply

Nice, problem is, does anyone wanna read this?

What will make the difference if the neophytes continue to break the rules?

What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
kintobor
kintobor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New To Audio Forum? Read Our Rules! Nov. 3rd, 2012 @ 10:55 PM Reply

Spammy advertisements don't care if the post is locked - you can still read it, mission accomplished.

Tydusis
Tydusis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to New To Audio Forum? Read Our Rules! Nov. 3rd, 2012 @ 11:00 PM Reply

What if someone made a flash game/movie that is in a similar idea as Youtube's copyright infringement videos? Entertaining and informative? Big flashy button for first time posters?

Idk just a thought

Latest Creation: Wiretapped Wormhole | Website: Tydusis.com | Also, check out this webcomic I like: Inhuman

BBS Signature
dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to New To Audio Forum? Read Our Rules! Nov. 3rd, 2012 @ 11:07 PM Reply

Since half of NG system runs by bots... ain't it hard to just create a few more bots to filter craps?

Automatically block or even ban on-site when the user make the sucker posts. Exclude only on the approved threads (eg. Audio Advertisement).

Bayesian spam filtering.

There, done. Perhaps we don't even need BBS mods anymore. Same can apply to audio approval. Just like the old day on IRCs.

What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to New To Audio Forum? Read Our Rules! Nov. 4th, 2012 @ 03:12 AM Reply

haha the fuck? why would i read all that?

p.s. i am gay

RobSoundtrack
RobSoundtrack
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to New To Audio Forum? Read Our Rules! Nov. 4th, 2012 @ 01:38 PM Reply

At 11/4/12 03:12 AM, midimachine wrote: haha the fuck? why would i read all that?

I move that it be the price you pay to continue posting here

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to New To Audio Forum? Read Our Rules! Nov. 4th, 2012 @ 01:46 PM Reply

Who gives a shit about the advertisement threads and such? Just copy the link to the appropriate thread, a mod will lock it, you get a +1 to your post count, everyone is happy. It's not like the threads are ruining your audio forum browsing.