Be a Supporter!

Games you've heard of but...

  • 1,161 Views
  • 33 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Dean
Dean
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 46
Gamer
Games you've heard of but... Nov. 2nd, 2012 @ 06:42 AM Reply

What are some examples of video games or series that you've heard of but know very little about yet still seem interesting?

For me, the Ys series always fell into this category. I know very little about the series but the catchy two letter name always made it stand out as being interesting for whatever reason. I was always under the impression that the games were RPG like which also helps to gain my attention. They're not common games in the UK either so when I first found a copy I thought I'd come across the holy grail or something.

.hack was another series that always intrigued me, again because of the name. It's a pretty unique title for a video game series. Again I know very little about this series other than it has a really cool concept. It think it tried to create the feel of an MMO RPG despite it being a single player game. I'm not too sure how well that would work but it definitely sounds interesting and they're games that I'd love to try out at some point. Shame the games sell for so much now.


BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Member since: Sep. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Games you've heard of but... Nov. 2nd, 2012 @ 10:05 AM Reply

At 11/2/12 06:42 AM, Dean wrote: What are some examples of video games or series that you've heard of but know very little about yet still seem interesting?

Sadly I find it hard to think of any as I usually watch youtube videos of gameplay a lot and whenever I tend to think of some game I wished I had I go and watch a longplay of it etc. But I suppose Mass Effect may fit into the category to me as I haven't played those games and watched very little of it, yet people constantly go on about it either due to it being good or most likely due to them whining about the ending. Alas it isn't interesting enough to want to buy them though.

.hack was another series that always intrigued me, again because of the name. It's a pretty unique title for a video game series. Again I know very little about this series other than it has a really cool concept. It think it tried to create the feel of an MMO RPG despite it being a single player game. I'm not too sure how well that would work but it definitely sounds interesting and they're games that I'd love to try out at some point. Shame the games sell for so much now.

I have played the first series of games of .hack, there is also a second series .hack//G.U. but that wasn't released in Europe for some stupid reason. The anime .hack//SIGN is a prequel to the game series which adds more to it when it is played afterwards.

As for the game itself it is very good with how it handles the MMORPG aspect, you play the game from the protagonists desktop with the option of looking at emails, news, settings and the MMO itself 'The World' this way you actually log in to the game from this hub which is later used to interact with the other players via emails and see developments both irl and in the game over the news service as the shit starts to hit the fan. Then when inside The World you begin meeting other players who you share details with, and who you can ask to join your party if they are online and not bitchy, who have their own lives outside the game which comes across via emails and sometimes them being inactive or unavailable to team up with etc. for when they are at school and the like, keeping the setting well.

With the combat system they have you only able to ever control your character (Kite) first hand but have the option to give commands to your party members, for example telling one of them to heal or use certain abilities, or to give full party commands like run in and kill shit or be defensive, so they sort of go for a combat system based off MMO activity most notably raiding where you would have the raid leader saying what needs to be said but not everything sort of thing.

However they also did the negative aspects of MMORPGs, like having these fields and dungeons you go to to grind which are all basically in their own little pockets and have no great meaning. In RPGs whenever you go to a dungeon it is meant to do something important, either heading to somewhere story relevant or acquiring an artifact required to save the world etc. But in .hack they are just random places you go to to level up and get some gear. So these really get old after a while and make the game a bit lacking in replay-ability. However some of the dungeons you go to are story relevant as they are glitching and crashing due to the virus etc. so they are a lot more interesting. You can't really fault the game for doing the random dungeon element as it is exactly what 'The World' is meant to be like in the anime and manga etc. so people would bitch if they didn't do it, but when you are playing it as a single player game it does just make you wish you had real players to play with instead of the AI acting like real players. (Well except for the fact they tend not to whine endlessly if you don't do as they ask or die to a boss like real MMORPG players tend to do)

Also why did I go on to explain all that when it likely isn't interesting to read. Bored I guess.


When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Games you've heard of but... Nov. 2nd, 2012 @ 10:15 AM Reply

At 11/2/12 10:05 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: Also why did I go on to explain all that when it likely isn't interesting to read. Bored I guess.

I found it interesting. It actually makes me want to play these games but I'm put off because I know it's going to cost about £100+ for the 4 games :(


BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Member since: Sep. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Games you've heard of but... Nov. 2nd, 2012 @ 01:11 PM Reply

At 11/2/12 10:15 AM, Dean wrote:
At 11/2/12 10:05 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: Also why did I go on to explain all that when it likely isn't interesting to read. Bored I guess.
I found it interesting. It actually makes me want to play these games but I'm put off because I know it's going to cost about Ã'£100+ for the 4 games :(

Yea I think they were like £20-£30 each when I got them off ebay, back then I had the money spare but now I actually have to not waste it due to bills, first world problems.

They are worth the play the first time imo though you do sort of need to be used to the high levels of grinding. But even as a huge .hack fan I have yet to play them a second time so wouldn't count on replay-ability. Might just be best to watch them on youtube and save the money as I usually do with games. Then again I am boring like that.


When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Artist
Response to Games you've heard of but... Nov. 2nd, 2012 @ 02:02 PM Reply

odin sphere, fatal frame, god hand, okami.


I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Games you've heard of but... Nov. 2nd, 2012 @ 02:13 PM Reply

World of Warcraft pretty sure I'd get bored of it in a week. Not a fan of mmorpgs. I'm sure it's like skyrim excet with eternal longevity and kungfu pandas.


QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Games you've heard of but... Nov. 2nd, 2012 @ 03:55 PM Reply

Always heard of people praising Shadow of the Colossus and have wanted to get around to playing it but I never have. I should be ashamed.


For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Games you've heard of but... Nov. 3rd, 2012 @ 05:47 AM Reply

At 11/2/12 03:55 PM, Cootie wrote: Always heard of people praising Shadow of the Colossus and have wanted to get around to playing it but I never have. I should be ashamed.

Not really.


QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Member since: Sep. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Games you've heard of but... Nov. 3rd, 2012 @ 06:27 AM Reply

At 11/3/12 05:47 AM, II2none wrote:
At 11/2/12 03:55 PM, Cootie wrote: Always heard of people praising Shadow of the Colossus and have wanted to get around to playing it but I never have. I should be ashamed.
Not really.

It's funny because it thinks its view is fact.


When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
Mismo
Mismo
  • Member since: Aug. 10, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to Games you've heard of but... Nov. 3rd, 2012 @ 02:30 PM Reply

The Borderlands series is an example of this for me. I have heard of it but barley know anything about it, and it's one of the most popular game series as of today.


"Even death can be overcome"

BBS Signature
DekapitatoR
DekapitatoR
  • Member since: Mar. 9, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Games you've heard of but... Nov. 3rd, 2012 @ 02:44 PM Reply

Natural Selection 2.


BBS Signature
kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Member since: Jun. 2, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Games you've heard of but... Nov. 3rd, 2012 @ 02:56 PM Reply

ive heard about borderlands, but the esthetics dont look interesting, plus after playing dragon age and mass effect i expect romantic options in a game


Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

darkjam
darkjam
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Games you've heard of but... Nov. 4th, 2012 @ 02:54 PM Reply

final fantasy. i have never played it in my whole life yet know what it is and i'm always being shunned by my friends for not playing it


It's hip to be square, but it's hipper to be torus!////You shall watch and you shall like.

BBS Signature
Gustavos
Gustavos
  • Member since: Jun. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Games you've heard of but... Nov. 4th, 2012 @ 04:12 PM Reply

Persona. I really have next to no idea what it is based on what I heard. Like, it's got RPG style gameplay but...it's a dating sim? I wouldn't be so intrigued if not for every person that's ever played it is seemingly in love with it.

I've also thought it's time I give the Sly Cooper series a shot since I brushed them off as boring when they came out. At around 3-6 Us dollars at local gamestops, there isn't much to lose in trying out one or two.


I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

scoutthesoldier
scoutthesoldier
  • Member since: Jul. 25, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Games you've heard of but... Nov. 4th, 2012 @ 07:06 PM Reply

The Trials series.


That Scout is a Soldier!

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Artist
Response to Games you've heard of but... Nov. 4th, 2012 @ 07:19 PM Reply

tales of... series and every final fantasy game.


I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Games you've heard of but... Nov. 4th, 2012 @ 07:54 PM Reply

At 11/3/12 06:27 AM, Ragnarokia wrote:
At 11/3/12 05:47 AM, II2none wrote:
At 11/2/12 03:55 PM, Cootie wrote: Always heard of people praising Shadow of the Colossus and have wanted to get around to playing it but I never have. I should be ashamed.
Not really.
It's funny because it thinks its view is fact.

Looks to me like you're just being an assumptive ass.


QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
Chdonga
Chdonga
  • Member since: Mar. 24, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 45
Game Developer
Response to Games you've heard of but... Nov. 4th, 2012 @ 08:00 PM Reply

I've always wanted to play the Persona series, but I just don't have the time and patience. Same for Metal Gear Solid.


BBS Signature
Ryan
Ryan
  • Member since: Mar. 27, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Games you've heard of but... Nov. 4th, 2012 @ 08:31 PM Reply

MAN DEAN, REMEMBER WHEN WE USED TO PLAY GAMES TOGETHER~

Kwing
Kwing
  • Member since: Jul. 24, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to Games you've heard of but... Nov. 5th, 2012 @ 06:06 PM Reply

My cousin has Ys and says it's amazing. I've been meaning to borrow it from him. I've seen gameplay videos but don't really know what it's like.

It might seem kind of weird, but I know almost nothing about Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, Borderlands, League of Legends, Guild Wars, or Fallout.


If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.
Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Rabbidking
Rabbidking
  • Member since: Jan. 12, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Games you've heard of but... Nov. 5th, 2012 @ 10:59 PM Reply

I guess League of Legends. I never knew it existed until I came to college, and I've seen plenty of people play and/or talk about it ever since.

I also recently created a Steam account, but I don't have the money to play awesome games I've overlooked.

And, adding insult to injury, my laptop SUCKS, so that means if I play something more graphically complex than, say, Cave Story or Super Smash Flash 2 (or anything with 3D graphics circa 2007 and above, for that matter), and above the game will either crash or kick me out of an online game. Which sucks, because I just got into Team Fortress 2, and it looks interesting.

WHY COMPUTER WHY?!?!?!


Nothing short of seven flavors of awesome sauce... with some extra-violence glaze on the side!

Quetya
Quetya
  • Member since: Oct. 30, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Games you've heard of but... Nov. 6th, 2012 @ 02:15 AM Reply

Septerra Core would be one. I always thought that it looked like it should have been a PlayStation game, but never was.

I didn't have a PC at the time I heard about it, so I never really played it. Something very Final Fantasy-esque about the art direction.


Making music can fun, but it can also be as challenging as playing the...

BBS Signature
Elctr01c3
Elctr01c3
  • Member since: Nov. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Games you've heard of but... Nov. 6th, 2012 @ 08:28 AM Reply

.hack always intrigued me too but I never got into it. I might someday even though it's over being new. It looks interesting.

Dean
Dean
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Games you've heard of but... Nov. 6th, 2012 @ 08:46 AM Reply

At 11/4/12 07:19 PM, sweet21 wrote: tales of... series

Ah yes, the Tales series. I should have included it on my original list because despite knowing very little about them, they really do appeal to me for some reason. They just happen to be another example of older games that haven't really dropped in price much over the year. Tales of Symphonia on the GameCube is still expensive on PAL regions and Tales of Verperia on Xbox 360 hasn't fallen in price, despite it being a few years old now.

At 11/4/12 08:31 PM, Ryan wrote: MAN DEAN, REMEMBER WHEN WE USED TO PLAY GAMES TOGETHER~

I do indeed. I miss those days but I still don't have an Xbox Live Gold subscription. It expired in June and I never had the money to renew it back then. These days I'm too caught up with uni work to be able to play video games. I kinda miss Battlefield 3 :(


BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
GetRight88
GetRight88
  • Member since: Apr. 9, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Games you've heard of but... Nov. 6th, 2012 @ 09:11 AM Reply

How about Growlanser series?

ZJ
ZJ
  • Member since: Jul. 5, 2006
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Games you've heard of but... Nov. 6th, 2012 @ 12:13 PM Reply

I've always found the FIFA games to be intriguing since I do enjoy sports games like Madden, but for some reason I've never bothered even trying one. I like the idea of playing as the U.S.A.'s team and taking on other nations, but I just haven't really taken the time to do it so far.


Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Lionelion
Lionelion
  • Member since: Jun. 29, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Games you've heard of but... Nov. 6th, 2012 @ 09:31 PM Reply

Bastion, FF series, Kingdom Hearts series
There were a few others, but I forgot the names
Probably the reason I never played these games is because I never had the right system for them. If I did, I wouldve played them

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Games you've heard of but... Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 03:13 AM Reply

I've been wanting to try Ys and .Hack. I played a demo for one of the .Hack games and it was pretty neat.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
GodOfVideoGames
GodOfVideoGames
  • Member since: Feb. 26, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Game Developer
Response to Games you've heard of but... Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 01:30 PM Reply

I've heard about the Dragon Quest series but never got around to playing it.

I test played one of the newer ones for the NDS at E3 though, can't remember the name.

Games you've heard of but...

Neon-Bard
Neon-Bard
  • Member since: Aug. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Games you've heard of but... Nov. 8th, 2012 @ 11:00 AM Reply

Valkyria Chronicles, Ys series, Uncharted series, Xenoblade Chronicles, the Monster Hunter games....yikes there are a few.


If you have a moment, check out some of my work:
[Music here on Newgrounds] [Soundcloud]

BBS Signature