New Topic Respond to this Topic
Shayl
Shayl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Shayl's Art Thread Oct. 31st, 2012 @ 10:37 AM Reply

Seeing as I"m having issues posting to the portal, I will post some things here instead!

I work as a web developer but my dream is to one day do concept art for either a game company or other entertainment genre.

Here's a gargoyle I'm still working on. This is my newest piece and likely my best to date, at least in terms of detail and cleanliness. A large portion of my other work (with some exceptions) is done as speedpainting (30-60 minutes max) and looks a bit messy.

Shayl's Art Thread

Shayl
Shayl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Shayl's Art Thread Oct. 31st, 2012 @ 10:40 AM Reply

This is also fairly new, but falls into the "speed painting" category. I really didn't know wtf to draw that night and Halloween just sort of came out at the end of my 60 minutes.

Shayl
Shayl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Shayl's Art Thread Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 06:24 PM Reply

This is a landscape I did as part of my "speedpainting"

I try to speedpaint every night, but sometimes I am tired. I did this one last night in about 45 minutes. I always make myself stop at 1hour no matter what, so sometimes things look messy! I learn a lot from doing this though.

I did this after watching some Bob Ross, though I mostly just wanted to paint in general after watching that, not paint like him. Do wish I could oil paint though.

For this I just wanted to quickly play with some light and maybe try to make Mars.

Shayl's Art Thread

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Shayl's Art Thread Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 06:47 PM Reply

Got some pretty decent stuff here.
Did you end up finishing that gargoyle?

Shayl
Shayl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Shayl's Art Thread Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 07:11 PM Reply

At 11/7/12 06:47 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Got some pretty decent stuff here.
Did you end up finishing that gargoyle?

Thanks!

Still working on it, though it's made some progress since I posted last. It's kind of my "obsess over it" painting right now, unlike some of my other ones where I just slap something down in 30-60 minutes and call it practice.

I HOPE I can finish it this weekend but that's what I said last week

Shayl
Shayl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Shayl's Art Thread Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 11:03 PM Reply

Here's another one I've been working on, but haven't touched in a few weeks.

This piece is still pretty early-on but I'd love some feedback at this early point.

I'd really like this to come out looking great when I'm finished.

Shayl
Shayl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Shayl's Art Thread Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 11:05 PM Reply

Sorry, didn't post the picture last time, let's try this again.

Critiques very welcome!

Shayl's Art Thread

Shayl
Shayl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Shayl's Art Thread Nov. 8th, 2012 @ 02:59 AM Reply

More progress on the gargoyle. Added the rest of his body, darker lines, more contrast, and more texture.

Shayl's Art Thread

Shayl
Shayl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Shayl's Art Thread Nov. 15th, 2012 @ 02:02 AM Reply

Here's another semi-finished, semi-not finished piece. I'm not sure if I should do anything else to this or leave it alone

Vinescape Big

Shayl
Shayl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Shayl's Art Thread Nov. 15th, 2012 @ 02:03 AM Reply

At 11/15/12 02:02 AM, Shayl wrote: Here's another semi-finished, semi-not finished piece. I'm not sure if I should do anything else to this or leave it alone

Vinescape Big

As usual, forgot to upload the image to the post. The previous post has the bigger one.

Shayl's Art Thread

Shayl
Shayl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Shayl's Art Thread Nov. 15th, 2012 @ 02:05 AM Reply

Here's another speedpainting I did a couple weeks ago. my husband didn't understand what was going on here

Shayl's Art Thread

Shayl
Shayl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Shayl's Art Thread Nov. 15th, 2012 @ 02:06 AM Reply

This is a speedpainting I did about a month ago, not totally happy with it but I forced myself to stop after an hour. I'd like to do raziel again sometime but with actual time spent on it

Shayl's Art Thread

8ree
8ree
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Reader
Response to Shayl's Art Thread Nov. 15th, 2012 @ 02:16 AM Reply

At 11/7/12 11:05 PM, Shayl wrote: Sorry, didn't post the picture last time, let's try this again.

Critiques very welcome!

Thats pretty awesome, it totally works :D

Shayl
Shayl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Shayl's Art Thread Nov. 15th, 2012 @ 02:44 AM Reply

This one took about 3 hours, I was trying to learn some perspective and scale. Its a little sloppy but I like how it came out regardless. The color scheme was fun

Crashed Ship

Shayl's Art Thread

Shayl
Shayl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Shayl's Art Thread Nov. 15th, 2012 @ 03:02 AM Reply

At 11/15/12 02:16 AM, 8ree wrote:
At 11/7/12 11:05 PM, Shayl wrote: Sorry, didn't post the picture last time, let's try this again.

Critiques very welcome!
Thats pretty awesome, it totally works :D

Thank you! It's a weird color scheme so I wasn't sure. I wanted red/green, but not Christmas red/green, which is always hard. I should probably finish that one

Solomon-Pider
Solomon-Pider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Shayl's Art Thread Nov. 15th, 2012 @ 03:39 AM Reply

At 11/15/12 02:44 AM, Shayl wrote: This one took about 3 hours, I was trying to learn some perspective and scale. Its a little sloppy but I like how it came out regardless. The color scheme was fun

Crashed Ship

I really like the use of space and the feeling of loneliness that I get from this picture. The scale of the person really adds to both the sense of size and the sense of desperation. The only real criticism that I have is that it's a little hard to tell where the ground ends and the clouds begin, but that's only a minor grievance. I really like this piece. :)

Shayl
Shayl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Shayl's Art Thread Nov. 15th, 2012 @ 11:10 AM Reply

At 11/15/12 03:39 AM, Solomon-Pider wrote:
At 11/15/12 02:44 AM, Shayl wrote: This one took about 3 hours, I was trying to learn some perspective and scale. Its a little sloppy but I like how it came out regardless. The color scheme was fun

Crashed Ship
I really like the use of space and the feeling of loneliness that I get from this picture. The scale of the person really adds to both the sense of size and the sense of desperation. The only real criticism that I have is that it's a little hard to tell where the ground ends and the clouds begin, but that's only a minor grievance. I really like this piece. :)

Thank you! You know what's funny about the comment on the sky vs. ground is that I went in there and fuzzed/hazed up the horizon on purpose about halfway through the painting, but I can't remember why I did it. I had a reference picture, so that might have been why, but I think I overdid it a bit.

Shayl
Shayl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Shayl's Art Thread Nov. 16th, 2012 @ 12:20 AM Reply

Here's one I put up in the portal recently, you may notice by now I have this thing about drawing gargoyles. I love monsters too but anything with wings I want to draw allatime..

Anyway, here he is

Shayl's Art Thread

Shayl
Shayl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Shayl's Art Thread Nov. 16th, 2012 @ 12:21 AM Reply

I think tonight I'll attempt a landscape speedpainting. I'll update the thread in about an hour with whatever I come up with, even if it sucks ass (I'd say I have about a 40-50% failure rate on these speed paintings)

Shayl
Shayl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Shayl's Art Thread Nov. 16th, 2012 @ 01:27 AM Reply

At 11/16/12 12:21 AM, Shayl wrote: I think tonight I'll attempt a landscape speedpainting. I'll update the thread in about an hour with whatever I come up with, even if it sucks ass (I'd say I have about a 40-50% failure rate on these speed paintings)

Came out alright, though I found this a difficult one. Not a fan of the messyness but I never am. Still working on that.

Shayl's Art Thread

bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Shayl's Art Thread Nov. 16th, 2012 @ 02:37 AM Reply

At 11/16/12 01:27 AM, Shayl wrote:
At 11/16/12 12:21 AM, Shayl wrote: I think tonight I'll attempt a landscape speedpainting. I'll update the thread in about an hour with whatever I come up with, even if it sucks ass (I'd say I have about a 40-50% failure rate on these speed paintings)
Came out alright, though I found this a difficult one. Not a fan of the messyness but I never am. Still working on that.

Looking good, especially for a quickie. The first suggestion that comes to mind is to have some variation with the mountains.

A lot of my digital paintings start really messy too, then I spend a long time cleaning them up. :)

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Shayl's Art Thread Nov. 16th, 2012 @ 09:20 AM Reply

At 11/16/12 12:20 AM, Shayl wrote: Anyway, here he is

Now that's a gargoyle I recognize.

Shayl
Shayl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Shayl's Art Thread Nov. 17th, 2012 @ 12:55 PM Reply

So what do you guys think of this zombie? I thought I'd try out a more comic book approach. I really can't decide what kind of art style I want to have or if I should just keep doing lots of different styles.

Shayl's Art Thread

Shayl
Shayl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Shayl's Art Thread Nov. 19th, 2012 @ 02:20 AM Reply

Here's another quick one, did this in about an hour tonight

Shayl's Art Thread