New Topic Respond to this Topic
JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
JoseFonz Sketch Repository Oct. 30th, 2012 @ 05:56 PM Reply

Hi guys, I really don't feel like making an elaborate first post so I'll just go ahead and dump some sketches, which you probably expected...

Critique is greatly welcomed

JoseFonz Sketch Repository

JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to JoseFonz Sketch Repository Oct. 30th, 2012 @ 06:04 PM Reply

Another doodly doo

JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to JoseFonz Sketch Repository Oct. 30th, 2012 @ 06:07 PM Reply

More Doodly Doos

JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to JoseFonz Sketch Repository Oct. 30th, 2012 @ 06:30 PM Reply

I like the one on the right better, it has an eerie resemblance to me Pimples and all!

JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to JoseFonz Sketch Repository Oct. 30th, 2012 @ 06:39 PM Reply

Another hasty sketch done in idle boredom

JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to JoseFonz Sketch Repository Oct. 30th, 2012 @ 07:37 PM Reply

God, I hope this one isn't too shitty for y'all.

Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to JoseFonz Sketch Repository Oct. 30th, 2012 @ 09:20 PM Reply

Hey, you've got some pretty decent pieces of work! However on your poses involving humans and faces I would recommend reading some of Andrew loomis's books regarding the human form and shape. I think It'll considerably improve the quality of your work.

Link Doobly Doo

JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to JoseFonz Sketch Repository Oct. 30th, 2012 @ 10:52 PM Reply

At 10/30/12 09:20 PM, Lintire wrote: Hey, you've got some pretty decent pieces of work! However on your poses involving humans and faces I would recommend reading some of Andrew loomis's books regarding the human form and shape. I think It'll considerably improve the quality of your work.

Link Doobly Doo

Aw c'mon man, Don't be like that.

JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to JoseFonz Sketch Repository Oct. 30th, 2012 @ 11:25 PM Reply

Some sketches done during free time, I have no idea why she looks so young.

JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to JoseFonz Sketch Repository Oct. 30th, 2012 @ 11:45 PM Reply

A no-reference drawing. I think it could be better, but I don't know exactly how to go about improving it.

JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to JoseFonz Sketch Repository Oct. 30th, 2012 @ 11:53 PM Reply

i actually really like the sketch on the right. Should've made more space for it, but I didn't even plan on it being of this scope, I was originally going to practice a series of faces but this resulted instead.

ForskinGump
ForskinGump
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to JoseFonz Sketch Repository Nov. 1st, 2012 @ 01:58 PM Reply

At 10/30/12 09:20 PM, Lintire wrote: Hey, you've got some pretty decent pieces of work! However on your poses involving humans and faces I would recommend reading some of Andrew loomis's books regarding the human form and shape. I think It'll considerably improve the quality of your work.

No he's right Andrew Loomis' stuff will help you a lot with your "no reference drawings" the poses will look better and just everything overall will improve too.

JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to JoseFonz Sketch Repository Nov. 2nd, 2012 @ 06:56 PM Reply

Anybody find anatomical or proportional mistakes in any of my works?

Also bump
JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to JoseFonz Sketch Repository Nov. 2nd, 2012 @ 07:37 PM Reply

Artrage sketch done with tablet. What should I do with it?

ZaneZansorrow
ZaneZansorrow
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Artist
Response to JoseFonz Sketch Repository Nov. 2nd, 2012 @ 08:08 PM Reply

At 11/2/12 06:56 PM, JoseFonz wrote: Anybody find anatomical or proportional mistakes in any of my works?
Also bump

I'll first state that overall so far, you need to work on hands and clothing folds and such. Plus figuring out how to draw hair a bit better. Also come prepare with extra sharpen pencils because I can see some lines made by eventually dull pencils (even though dull pencils can come in handy if doing value gradient shading). I'm not going to tell you to look at Andrew Loomis because I'm sure it's been said already enough, up to you whether you want improve with the advice or not.

I'll say the first sketch's jacket's folds look awkward, maybe too may lines were used or how thick the lines are for the sketch, who knows.

Second sketch has bad hands and the cheek bones drawn in like that made it appear she's dirty old (not sure if it's intentional or not).

Third sketch shows that you can do a nice side profile shot, but when it comes down to the frontal, it still need work. The woman at the bottom, I'm sure hair crown don't crease that way, keep that in mind. Hands still a problem.

4th sketch, the person at the left is done pretty wrong so I'll move on to the person on the right which appear better. The person at the right appear to have a better cheek result when put pressure on, but the hand and arm posture is wrong. The forearm twists in ways depending on the posture of the hand, so I recommend looking at a mirror and doing the same posture to get an idea how to do it right.

5th sketch, 1 hand is wrong while the other show elegance. The clothing fold around the stomach outline need a bit more work. Added note is that jacket and shirts don't magically float up on it's own unless wind has something to do with it.

6th sketch, I started notice but I think you need to work on keeping the thickness on your character's arms constant. This sketch shows how one arm is thicker then the other.

7th sketch, dunno if you carelessly add the toes or you don't know toe placements. Anywho, I can't tell whether you placed the girl's knee on the side of her leg, or the not erased circle that indicate the knee placement is making it look like you planted the knee on the side of the leg. Either way, erasing that circling would do the job.

8th sketch, it appeared that the face was implanted wrong, given as is it would of work best as a side profile shot instead of seeing the entire face. Plus her left foot is broken given the angle it's in.

9th sketch, her thumb is placed awkwardly or wrong given the posture her hand is in. Plus work on the clothing fold of the tucking. I think that overall with most of your clothing fold, I think you add too much lines to it.

10 sketch, art rage sketch, you could dress her up or ink her up, or draw in the rest of the legs. Plus cut out the rest of the empty space if you're not using it.

BBS Signature
JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to JoseFonz Sketch Repository Nov. 2nd, 2012 @ 09:22 PM Reply

At 11/2/12 08:08 PM, ZaneZansorrow wrote:

Thank God!, something substantive. See guys, this is the kind of criticism I want. Thanks so much for providing all this useful info, will attempt to avoid all these mistakes in future works.

jetpacknrollerskates
jetpacknrollerskates
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to JoseFonz Sketch Repository Nov. 2nd, 2012 @ 09:34 PM Reply

I think your work is well on its way... Something to take into consideration is your face work... I noticed that your girls faces look very masculine. Make the feature more subtle instead of drawing out the entire nose just imply that it exists. The exaggerated jaw lines might be making them slightly more masculine.... In general just soften everything a bit more.

JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to JoseFonz Sketch Repository Nov. 2nd, 2012 @ 09:42 PM Reply

At 11/2/12 09:34 PM, jetpacknrollerskates wrote:

Thanks for the tips, very much appreciated

jetpacknrollerskates
jetpacknrollerskates
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to JoseFonz Sketch Repository Nov. 2nd, 2012 @ 09:58 PM Reply

I need some more ratings on my work.... could you help me out?

JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to JoseFonz Sketch Repository Nov. 2nd, 2012 @ 10:07 PM Reply

At 11/2/12 09:58 PM, jetpacknrollerskates wrote: I need some more ratings on my work.... could you help me out?

Sure, but just don't think I'll give away free 5 stars

monsterparty
monsterparty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to JoseFonz Sketch Repository Nov. 3rd, 2012 @ 12:04 AM Reply

At 11/2/12 09:22 PM, JoseFonz wrote: Thank God!, something substantive....

Did you not consider the posts from before to be useful?
Zane very graciously took the time to pinpoint a lot of individual things that were wrong, but you can't expect the people here to do that for EVERY piece you submit. At some point you should be able to figure out those things yourself. You can't really do that though without knowing what you're looking for. Lint gave you a link to an awesome tool for learning, and you shouldn't disregard that.

Anyway, I think you have a pretty interesting style. There are definitely things that can be improved, but there is a really cool look underneath the errors. If you improved overall in anatomy and drapery as well as working out some nice line quality, you can have something very neat here.

JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to JoseFonz Sketch Repository Nov. 3rd, 2012 @ 12:41 AM Reply

At 11/3/12 12:04 AM, monsterparty wrote:
Zane very graciously took the time to pinpoint a lot of individual things that were wrong, but you can't expect the people here to do that for EVERY piece you submit. At some point you should be able to figure out those things yourself. You can't really do that though without knowing what you're looking for. Lint gave you a link to an awesome tool for learning, and you shouldn't disregard that.

Yeah, Lint was being smartalec , y'see a day earlier before making this thread I left a post with the exact same message on his art thread that he placed here. He was obviously pointing out the fact that I was being a bit hypocritical due to the errors that are evident on some of my works.But a lot of these errors stem off the fact I deliberately strayed away from realism. The reason I mention this is that I don't want to seem petulant asshole that shuns away advice

But back to what you said, I do agree that I will have to spot mistakes myself , but right now I think I lack the ability to do so. This is why i so ardently want critique, I don't come on here for no good reason.

I seek no dispute between anybody.

monsterparty
monsterparty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to JoseFonz Sketch Repository Nov. 3rd, 2012 @ 11:23 AM Reply

At 11/3/12 12:41 AM, JoseFonz wrote:
At 11/3/12 12:04 AM, monsterparty wrote:
Yeah, Lint was being smartalec , y'see a day earlier before making this thread I left a post with the exact same message on his art thread that he placed here. He was obviously pointing out the fact that I was being a bit hypocritical due to the errors that are evident on some of my works.But a lot of these errors stem off the fact I deliberately strayed away from realism. The reason I mention this is that I don't want to seem petulant asshole that shuns away advice

I see.
Well, what direction are you trying to head in now? You said a lot of your errors stem from straying from realism, but is that something you're still trying to do?

Part of being able to see your own mistakes is just training your eye in observation, and the best way to do that is to observe life. Even if you're going for a more stylized look, you can spot errors because you realize it's not comparable to life. I think you might now that because I you do look at references and do your research.

I would say that gesture drawing would be really useful for you, not just for the whole body, but break it down into parts like hands. A lot of people like to concentrate on the detail, and gesture drawing would force you to just quickly reproduce and accurate shape. I personally find it to be a good eye training exercise.

JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to JoseFonz Sketch Repository Nov. 3rd, 2012 @ 04:42 PM Reply

I took way too long on this piece, I was actually not going to post it all, but I might glean some useful advice from you all. from this piece

JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to JoseFonz Sketch Repository Nov. 3rd, 2012 @ 04:45 PM Reply

At 11/3/12 04:42 PM, JoseFonz wrote: I took way too long on this piece, I was actually not going to post it all, but I might glean some useful advice from you all. from this piece

Oops, forgot to upload picture

JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to JoseFonz Sketch Repository Nov. 3rd, 2012 @ 08:36 PM Reply

had a second go at the female face.
Keep in mind it's a wip

ForskinGump
ForskinGump
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to JoseFonz Sketch Repository Nov. 4th, 2012 @ 01:31 AM Reply

At 11/3/12 08:36 PM, JoseFonz wrote: had a second go at the female face.
Keep in mind it's a wip

Not bad for your second try, and you're not trying to do manga

But my advice to you is, give her some what an upper lip

also when dealing with a female face less is more try to make your lines less fuzzy and more smooth make everything simple and smooth

I hope this helps

JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to JoseFonz Sketch Repository Nov. 4th, 2012 @ 10:35 AM Reply

At 11/4/12 01:31 AM, ForskinGump wrote:
Keep in mind it's a wip
Not bad for your second try, and you're not trying to do manga

I typically refrain from doing Manga

But my advice to you is, give her some what an upper lip

:Okie dokie. Here I only suggested an upper lip although failed.

also when dealing with a female face less is more try to make your lines less fuzzy and more smooth make everything simple and smooth

Will attempt, also by simple do you mean more subtle?

I hope this helps

Yep.

MisterAce
MisterAce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to JoseFonz Sketch Repository Nov. 4th, 2012 @ 10:49 AM Reply

Keep in mind it's a wip

I think that you should bring the nose up a bit. The neck looks a little uneven and you should clean up the lines. I think everything else looks good.

JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to JoseFonz Sketch Repository Nov. 4th, 2012 @ 02:26 PM Reply

I was wondering whether someone would be willing to clean this up a bit further, particularly the hair?