New Topic Respond to this Topic
JBK
JBK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Gamer
Response to Do you think free speech is abused? 2012-10-30 08:42:21 Reply

Unless its being used to get around laws then no. If it is being excercised, no matter how you feel about whats being said, then it is being used right.

"Even though you hate gays, believe in god, and dislike my posts, I still think you're cool"-FurryFox
"TarahlovesJBKscawk"-Tarah, "Those pants are just adorable"-Gagsy
Last.fm

BBS Signature
SomeTurtle
SomeTurtle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Do you think free speech is abused? 2012-10-30 09:46:12 Reply

Just because people are stupid doesn't make what they are stupid about absurd.

My biggest problem with is that in a lot of cases we don't have free speech and while some restriction in certain aspects of society(school) makes sense, in others it doesn't. As well my other gripe(besides what the OP mentioned) is when people think free speech should be selected. I.E. I should have the right to state my opinion if it's against racism but those that are racist shouldn't have the right to state their opinion.

I hate groups like the KKK as the next guy, but I acknowledge they have every right to say what they believe just as I do.

tox
tox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Audiophile
Response to Do you think free speech is abused? 2012-10-30 10:25:53 Reply

This idiot was probably hopped up on free speach well before this point in time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkwxkvNRMZ0&feature=youtube_
gdata_player

call me toxie 0.~
reached vet status by RacistBassist , fuckyeah.jpg

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Do you think free speech is abused? 2012-10-30 10:30:26 Reply

At 10/29/12 09:03 PM, Lintire wrote: Defamation is still illegal, so its pretty hard to abuse free speech. The detractor only had to say "so do I", to close the issue on that right, and being able to spout your petty opinions doesn't automatically mean they're correct.

True, the laws cover most of the abuse that can happen. The only problem is that people like Westboro can get away with the bullshit they do like protesting at funerals. There should be something in place to stop bullshit like that.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
saqwert
saqwert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Do you think free speech is abused? 2012-10-30 12:02:38 Reply

At 10/29/12 08:59 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote:
I wonder if the person realize that the other poster also has the right to free speech as well, by extention the right to disagree?

Fucking obviously. He wasn't all like call the cops this guy is breaking the law by disagreeing with me. Should we just keep quiet when someone disagrees with us to respect their opinion and live life as a fucking unassertive cunt?
This question rustles the fuck out of me but I'm not smart enough to arrange my thoughts correctly and throughly

Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Do you think free speech is abused? 2012-10-30 12:18:19 Reply

At 10/30/12 12:02 PM, saqwert wrote:
This question rustles the fuck out of me but I'm not smart enough to arrange my thoughts correctly and throughly

Well, it's not like you're smart or anything, in fact you're always one of the dimmest of the dim.

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
Baby-Bottle-Bob
Baby-Bottle-Bob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Do you think free speech is abused? 2012-10-30 12:31:02 Reply

The right to bicker about random that that dont even matter like idiots. Thats why I don't fuck wit youtube no more

BBS Signature
ManDeep
ManDeep
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Do you think free speech is abused? 2012-10-30 12:35:33 Reply

At 10/29/12 09:00 PM, koopahermit wrote: i don't pay attention to the youtube comment section cuz this.

I'm pretty sure that guy is just acting ironic, i always act like an american bigot too over the internet.

Boss
Boss
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Do you think free speech is abused? 2012-10-30 17:00:03 Reply

ffree speech isnt abused the option to keep people from being retarded jackasses is abused

I'm an instigator

BBS Signature
Scarface
Scarface
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Do you think free speech is abused? 2012-10-30 17:06:33 Reply

At 10/30/12 06:52 AM, Insanctuary wrote:
At 10/30/12 06:44 AM, Scarface wrote: And in addition, everyone else has the same right, even if it means hearing people disagree with everything you say.
What about people who say X to convince millions of people of X, regardless of its opaque nature?

There's nothing wrong with that. What's wrong is someone saying they have the right to say X, but someone else is immature and rude for saying Y.

Rules of the BBS - Meme - Jeff
Thanks to Donut for the SIG!

BBS Signature
Insanctuary
Insanctuary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Do you think free speech is abused? 2012-10-30 17:14:43 Reply

At 10/30/12 05:06 PM, Scarface wrote: There's nothing wrong with that. What's wrong is someone saying they have the right to say X, but someone else is immature and rude for saying Y.

That is what people do when they convince others to follow X, even when X is of opaque nature. They make you feel like you are a sinner, a bad person, or a sheep.

You do not make examples, you make excuses; you do not solve problems, you shift problems; you do not stand behind your statements, you stand behind your stasis.