New Topic Respond to this Topic
Alenium
Alenium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
I'm looking for samples! 2012-10-29 18:00:11 Reply

I would really need better drum samples so if somebody could give me a link to some free drum-kits samples or even vocals I will make my day.
:)

Syztm
Syztm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to I'm looking for samples! 2012-10-29 19:28:21 Reply

Sure.

New tune: Yag

Slipstreamer
Slipstreamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to I'm looking for samples! 2012-11-07 19:14:19 Reply

At 10/29/12 06:00 PM, Alenium wrote: I would really need better drum samples so if somebody could give me a link to some free drum-kits samples or even vocals I will make my day.
)

Don't waste your time looking for free samples online. They're all crap compared to spending the time learning to make your own samples. It's a better investment in the end.

Certified audiophreak, lv 60.

BBS Signature
LiquidOoze
LiquidOoze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to I'm looking for samples! 2012-11-08 02:57:32 Reply

Vengeance sample packs. The first one to disagree with me can suck it.

SoundCloud || Youtube || Bandcamp || Facebook || Click below to listen to my newest track!

BBS Signature
Ectohelix
Ectohelix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to I'm looking for samples! 2012-11-08 13:52:22 Reply

http://www.drivenmachinedrums.com/

You gotta buy them, but they give you 60 (I think) samples for free.

Find me on: Facebook, Twitter, or Soundcloud.

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to I'm looking for samples! 2012-11-08 14:49:14 Reply

You should consider getting a professional drum virtual instrument. There are many and each has its own style/flavour, each its own interface and an individual way of dealing with how it manipulates the samples.

Personally, I use Native Instrument's Studio Drummer and I love it, but you can get Superior Drummer, Steven Slate Drums, EZ Drummer, MDrummer...
Scout around, look into how much each costs and find the one you like most that suits your skill level. I don't recommend Studio Drummer for the beginner, it's quite complex.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
Numi
Numi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to I'm looking for samples! 2012-11-08 16:42:47 Reply

Look up sample packs by Freak, Okiru, and Ghosthack. Not bad drum samples (although they're primarily dubstep, so if that's not your thing, sorry).

Don't waste your time looking for free samples online. They're all crap compared to spending the time learning to make your own samples. It's a better investment in the end.

^^This guy has a point (Kinda. Most, but not ALL free sample packs blow). Using samples just as they are can get repetitive and cheesy (as well as not giving you the exact sound you're looking for). Making your own or editing and processing pre-existing samples, then layering them is a GREAT way to get your own sound out of your percussion.

jaysummers759885
jaysummers759885
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to I'm looking for samples! 2012-11-08 19:31:16 Reply

At 11/8/12 04:42 PM, Numi wrote: Look up sample packs by Freak, Okiru, and Ghosthack. Not bad drum samples (although they're primarily dubstep, so if that's not your thing, sorry).

^^This guy has a point (Kinda. Most, but not ALL free sample packs blow). Using samples just as they are can get repetitive and cheesy (as well as not giving you the exact sound you're looking for). Making your own or editing and processing pre-existing samples, then layering them is a GREAT way to get your own sound out of your percussion.

~~~~~

How is it that you prefer to layer? I mean, I might understand what it means, I assume you are just playing two tracks at the same time with different snare drums, and EQed different to your specifics.

Am I correct in this assumption?

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to I'm looking for samples! 2012-11-08 20:06:11 Reply

There are different ways of layering. That is one (putting two or more sounds directly on top of each other and eqing them to fit). Another way is to take the attack from one (transient, first 10-30ms), the body of another and the tail from yet another, but that's more for sound effects than drums. (I explained that so the OP has a full understanding of what layering can entail)

Mostly for drums you'll just layer one or more sounds on top of each other, for example two kick drums - one that's not so realistic but has a lot of bass, and another that doesn't have a lot of bass but captures the characteristics you wanted in the highs - tight and with punch for example.

For snares it's the same thing, you can put the same sound twice, one on each side and EQ them differently to create a really wide sound, then add a 2nd sound dead centre. You can simply put two complimentary sounds dead centre too of course.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
Tydusis
Tydusis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to I'm looking for samples! 2012-11-08 20:34:50 Reply

At 11/8/12 08:06 PM, MetalRenard wrote: brilliance

I'm so going to have to try that. It could so much to improve my sucky drum synthesis skills.

Latest Creation: Wiretapped Wormhole | Website: Tydusis.com | Also, check out this webcomic I like: Inhuman

BBS Signature
The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to I'm looking for samples! 2012-11-08 21:22:56 Reply

At 11/8/12 08:34 PM, Tydusis wrote: I'm so going to have to try that. It could so much to improve my sucky drum synthesis skills.

A lot of the time with drums, the thing is to just try different things out. I worked on a project where I've layered like 5 different kicks with pan settings to get a nice, wide kick. I've worked on a project where I layered 5 different samples, with EQ settings, to get my kick right. I've also worked on projects where I've gotten one kick sample, and sent that through CamelPhat and Maschines transient master.

More than one way to skin a cat. Layering is good, but like most techniques out there, layering does not need to be done in every project.

la-yinn
la-yinn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to I'm looking for samples! 2012-11-08 21:40:38 Reply

At 11/7/12 07:14 PM, Slipstreamer wrote:
At 10/29/12 06:00 PM, Alenium wrote: I would really need better drum samples so if somebody could give me a link to some free drum-kits samples or even vocals I will make my day.
)

wtf you're still around? haven't seen you in fucking years man, what's up with that? You still doing musics and what not?

interrogation and shit

Latest tracks:
Sub Marines
Chemosound

jaysummers759885
jaysummers759885
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to I'm looking for samples! 2012-11-09 21:36:38 Reply

Sweeeeet, very helpful man.

~J

ChimeraNoise
ChimeraNoise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to I'm looking for samples! 2012-11-10 01:13:27 Reply

)

I love these samples...

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/backline/529782-sharing-m y-collection-drum-samples-here.html

Real drum kit samples, mostly for metal. With a little creativity and tweaking you can achieve a lot. (:

BBS Signature
EuphoriaSound
EuphoriaSound
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to I'm looking for samples! 2012-11-10 04:08:14 Reply

refx.com

Purchase them

Vengeance Essential Clubsounds are awesome