Piggler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Artist
Smoker problems 2012-10-27 19:27:49 Reply

I quit smoking cigarettes.

So I bought a rechargeable e-cig.

Now I smoke 3 times as much because now I can smoke anywhere 24/7. Recently I researched the side-effects of e-cigs, and I discovered that although they're not as bad as traditional cigarettes, it still ain't good.

Has anyone here ever found themselves in this situation before?

BBS Signature
KillerSkull
KillerSkull
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 39
Gamer
Response to Smoker problems 2012-10-27 19:30:47 Reply

No, I just stopped smoking. Simple as that.

Slint
Slint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Audiophile
Response to Smoker problems 2012-10-27 19:31:20 Reply

Nah, enjoy your cancer.

jk piggler ur cool m8 good luck mate

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
HomicidialFrog
HomicidialFrog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Gamer
Response to Smoker problems 2012-10-27 19:31:57 Reply

I remember you posting a "I'm going to quit smoking" thread awhile back. I honestly doubted you'd actually pull it off as having several smoking relatives, I'm well-aware that smoking is a damn hard thing to quit.

Congratz, man!

War is Peace.
Freedom is Slavery.
Ignorance is Strength.

OBEY OBEY, YOU MUST OBEY, YOU CAN'T RESIST, DON'T BE THAT WAY, OBEY OBEY, WE'LL HAVE OUR WAY

Crazywill
Crazywill
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Smoker problems 2012-10-27 19:44:01 Reply

I don't smoke.

The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

RiverOfBloodyTears
RiverOfBloodyTears
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Smoker problems 2012-10-27 20:19:53 Reply

YEAHHHHHHHHHHH 1 time i overdosed on these ciggys and i was like dying and yeah you know ever happen you know

funnyman46
funnyman46
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Smoker problems 2012-10-27 20:32:15 Reply

Yeah those e-cigs are bad news.

Makes smoking way too much fun.

Yay, more jokes!

NOTunowned
NOTunowned
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Smoker problems 2012-10-31 04:48:40 Reply

the damage has been done, the risk of overdose is real, you are inhaling propylene glycol with it

Razz
Razz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Smoker problems 2012-10-31 05:06:26 Reply

My only problem with smoking has been after running, my lungs feeling as though they were on fire or stabbed with hundreds of needles. Which was my biggest reason to give it up, just wasn't worth it.

At 10/31/12 04:48 AM, NOTunowned wrote: the damage has been done, the risk of overdose is real, you are inhaling propylene glycol with it

And every day we munch on medicines we don't know shit about. Dayquil, nyquil, chest decongestant, half a bottle of asprin, enough fish oil pills to shit grease for days, the list goes on. As with most people, if someone just handed me medicine after I told them my symptoms, I'd take it without researching the medicine. We munch and guzzle shit that isn't good for us every day.

BBS Signature
NOTunowned
NOTunowned
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Smoker problems 2012-10-31 05:10:16 Reply

these drugs have clinical trials and research, they don't contain the mutagens, carcinogens, radioactive polonium and lead like tobacco does

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_fatty_acid#Functions

educate yourself, take the reccomended amount

Earfetish
Earfetish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to Smoker problems 2012-10-31 05:28:55 Reply

They're a million billion times safer than cigarettes. I don't know why health nazis have set themselves so strongly against e-cigs when they're phenomenally safer than the alternative.

RYNOL
RYNOL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Audiophile
Response to Smoker problems 2012-10-31 07:02:29 Reply

I stopped smoking cigarettes a long time and had no problems with it. Then again, I didn't stop smoking up, so maybe that made things easier. But I'm fairly certain I could quit weed easily.

I need a sig.
PSN: gowow20

RyanBustersword123
RyanBustersword123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Smoker problems 2012-10-31 07:18:41 Reply

At 10/31/12 05:28 AM, Earfetish wrote: They're a million billion times safer than cigarettes. I don't know why health nazis have set themselves so strongly against e-cigs when they're phenomenally safer than the alternative.

What an educated, smart response. I'm gonna willingly take my chance with your advice and avoid my doctor's advice who actually have a fucking degree in this shit. You changed my life to the best.

While esigs aren't as bad as normal cigs. They ARE pretty hazardous to health as they can cause nicotine poisoning and addiction. They're only described temporary for people who have a hard time of quitting their smoking habit.
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media/advisories-avis/_2009/2 009_53-eng.php

Earfetish
Earfetish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to Smoker problems 2012-10-31 07:34:58 Reply

At 10/31/12 07:18 AM, RyanBustersword123 wrote: While esigs aren't as bad as normal cigs. They ARE pretty hazardous to health as they can cause nicotine poisoning and addiction.

Your link contains no suggestion that smoking an e-cig will cause nicotine poisoning when used properly and the warning is quite clearly talking about children eating the cartridges. Addiction is not a health hazard intrinsically (see addiction to caffeine). Don't know why you thought you could get away with talking nonsense.

They're only described temporary for people who have a hard time of quitting their smoking habit.
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media/advisories-avis/_2009/2 009_53-eng.php

Smoking an e-cig 10 times a day for 30 years is far less likely to give you cancer than inhaling burning plant matter that has been treated with radioactive pesticides 10 times a day for 30 years. E-cigs are clearly marketed towards smokers who want a safer alternative to tobacco combustion, they're not sold as a tool for people who want to start smoking. The hazard they pose to health is almost insignificant compared with the hazards posed to health by actual cigarettes.

So I stand by my comment.

RyanBustersword123
RyanBustersword123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Smoker problems 2012-10-31 08:48:22 Reply

At 10/31/12 07:34 AM, Earfetish wrote: Your link contains no suggestion that smoking an e-cig will cause nicotine poisoning when used properly and the warning is quite clearly talking about children eating the cartridges. Addiction is not a health hazard intrinsically (see addiction to caffeine).

After rereading that article you're right. But it's still a health concern if overdosed or misused. Which could happen if you're addicted to e-cigs. An electronic cigarette can contain as much nicotine as a regular cigarette (If not more that is) which can be really addictive (see OP).

Don't know why you thought you could get away with talking nonsense.

Looks like our thoughts are mutual then.

Smoking an e-cig 10 times a day for 30 years is far less likely to give you cancer than inhaling burning plant matter that has been treated with radioactive pesticides 10 times a day for 30 years. E-cigs are clearly marketed towards smokers who want a safer alternative to tobacco combustion, they're not sold as a tool for people who want to start smoking.

That's an interesting point of view... But you should know that some e-sig cartridges actually come with flavors such as mint and chocolate. It might get someone influenced to start smoking.

The hazard they pose to health is almost insignificant compared with the hazards posed to health by actual cigarettes.

It's more of a 1:1000 scale on cancer according to some sources. But as I said, e-cigs are still health hazardous products due to nicotine. Here's also a little something I happen to find just now, I'm not sure by what claims they are backed though but you should skim through them:
http://www.primehealthchannel.com/electronic-cigarette-dange rs-and-side-effects.html

Blitzkreig261
Blitzkreig261
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to Smoker problems 2012-10-31 10:07:59 Reply

smoking is stupid

ForNoReason
ForNoReason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Voice Actor
Response to Smoker problems 2012-10-31 12:15:28 Reply

I have thought about e-cigs before, but I find that people who smoke them usually become asses. "Oh this isn't a REAL cigarette, I can smoke ANYWHERE I want!" I think just quiting is your best bet to be healthy.

II II lI

BBS Signature
masheenH3ad
masheenH3ad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Smoker problems 2012-10-31 12:22:17 Reply

I use to smoke ANALOG CIGARETTES before. Now I use ELECTRONIC CIGS. It has been more than a year now. As far as health is concern I feel more healthy now. I never have to experience hyper acidity, heart burn, and palpitations anymore. Never again. I feel I am so ALIVE!

Bill-Premo
Bill-Premo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Smoker problems 2012-10-31 12:43:17 Reply

16 more days and it's been 2 years without cigarettes for me.

Magical-Zorse
Magical-Zorse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Smoker problems 2012-10-31 13:48:08 Reply

Man up and stop smoking completely.

BBS Signature
Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Smoker problems 2012-10-31 13:49:49 Reply

At 10/27/12 08:32 PM, funnyman46 wrote: Yeah those e-cigs are bad news.

Makes smoking way too much fun.

That's idiotic. E-cigs aren't any more damaging then the medicines you already shove into your body every time you feel a little sick. Much better than smoking real cigarettes at any rate.

BasedBubbus
BasedBubbus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Smoker problems 2012-10-31 13:57:53 Reply

the only people i've seen with e-cigs are kids who thought it was even more cool if they could smoke in class

I'm a single father and a multimillionaire.

BBS Signature
SkeletonGimp
SkeletonGimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Smoker problems 2012-10-31 14:06:57 Reply

At 10/31/12 01:57 PM, TurkeyBased wrote: the only people i've seen with e-cigs are kids who thought it was even more cool if they could smoke in class

This made me lol in particular, no idea why >> .......

Anyways, a few myth-busting pointers for any e-cig nubs out there.

E-Cigs are NOT a quitting aid. They are an alternative means of getting a nicotein fix. Anyone who starts using them to help 'quit' smoking is a fool as you're swapping one habit for another which is not too dissimilar and will make quitting just as or close to as hard as cold turkey.

E-Cigs are not LEGAL to smoke indoors or anywhere, they're simply just not illegal. This means you can happily puff away in your car, in your office etc but some e-cig smokers seem to get a kick out of announcing to everyone in the office/restaurant/bus/waterver that they are perfectly entitled to support their cancer causing habit right in everyone's face.

Finally, E-Cigs are not 'cool' in the slightest. They're another alternative to a habit which causes death, similar to methadone for heroin (but perhaps not that extreme)

Anyways, on to my personal opinion on them. Yes, they contain less poisons/toxins etc but they're not helping anyone's habit. I'm thinking of switching to one not to quit but to save money. Here in the UK the government thinks that the last two vices that are still legal can be taxed to death under the fig branch of 'promoting a healthier lifestyle', but in reality bank rolling the NHS and the Treasury's underperformance on tax reciepts.

Roleplaying is to the mind what masturbation is to the body - Shalashaska-1, 2008
Feel free to MSN me: warsmithdave@msn.com
Beware the NGSkeletonGimp! M:tG Klub.

BBS Signature