New Topic Respond to this Topic
FaeryTaleAdventurer
FaeryTaleAdventurer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Ableton Live Q & A + Discuss Thread 2012-10-27 15:03:47 Reply

I noticed in the rules that this thread doesn't yet exist, so I'm adding it in today (yay for spearheading two DAW threads!)!

We all have questions and answers, so that's what this thread is for! On top of that, anyone is welcome to discuss various discoveries, tips, tricks, customizations for Live here as well!

I initially had a question myself about if it's possible to automate instrument effects in session view to clips instead of directly recording to arrangement view, but there may be others around here with that same or similar question!

I personally don't know all there is about Ableton Live, as I've just started using the Live Lite SoundCloud edition from the summer of this year, so I won't always have the answers you need. My best advice is waiting for other users to answer the questions I can't answer, or finding a video on YouTube that could answer your question (this has worked for me 9 times out of 10).

Happy conferencing!

FaeryTaleAdventurer
FaeryTaleAdventurer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Ableton Live Q & A + Discuss Thread 2012-10-29 13:18:40 Reply

Just to clarify, I'm aware that the settings of a software instrument can be automated in real time from the arrangement view while recording, but have no effect if you try to record an automation you want to be done on an individual clip in session view.

I love the session view feature of Ableton, and being able to record scenes you want in a particular order, and whatnot, though it would be nice if I could change the settings of a given instrument for a clip or so at a time, but at the same time not have to record it in arrangement view first.

Quetya
Quetya
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Ableton Live Q & A + Discuss Thread 2012-10-31 13:58:22 Reply

At 10/29/12 01:18 PM, FaeryTaleAdventurer wrote: Just to clarify, I'm aware that the settings of a software instrument can be automated in real time from the arrangement view while recording, but have no effect if you try to record an automation you want to be done on an individual clip in session view.

I love the session view feature of Ableton, and being able to record scenes you want in a particular order, and whatnot, though it would be nice if I could change the settings of a given instrument for a clip or so at a time, but at the same time not have to record it in arrangement view first.

It will be available in Ableton Live 9. I'm not sure it will be the automations you're talking about, where you can can automate the built-in properties of the synth itself outside of effects like compression and delay, but I'm hoping for both our sakes! ^-^

Making music can fun, but it can also be as challenging as playing the...

BBS Signature
FaeryTaleAdventurer
FaeryTaleAdventurer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Ableton Live Q & A + Discuss Thread 2012-10-31 15:48:22 Reply

At 10/31/12 01:58 PM, Quetya wrote:
It will be available in Ableton Live 9. I'm not sure it will be the automations you're talking about, where you can can automate the built-in properties of the synth itself outside of effects like compression and delay, but I'm hoping for both our sakes! ^-^

Hey that's great, I guess. Ableton must've been listening. I'm now ever anxious to see if these will be the automations I want.

And yeah, I really want to control those dials in session view so badly now, while recording, I can't stand it! Hurry Ableton, please make a lite version of 9 ASAP!

Ectohelix
Ectohelix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Ableton Live Q & A + Discuss Thread 2012-11-01 12:08:32 Reply

Lots of neat stuff coming in 9 that I'm looking forward to.
Curves in midi envelopes.
Recorded automation.
Record Midi from Audio (this includes beat boxing, lol).
Glue Compressor.
...and unless the image is misleading, spectrum inside of your EQ8.

I can't wait.

Find me on: Facebook, Twitter, or Soundcloud.

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ableton Live Q & A + Discuss Thread 2012-11-01 14:42:03 Reply

I thought there was an Ableton discussion thread already but I'll take this opportunity to randomly ask a question here anyways.

I dont really use ableton much except for collaborations, but am I right in assuming you can't float the session & arrangement view windows seperately? It kind of makes having a dual screen set up a waste and ableton 9 doesnt seem to have that ability either. It's really not that hard of a fix from a developers side either.

FaeryTaleAdventurer
FaeryTaleAdventurer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Ableton Live Q & A + Discuss Thread 2012-11-02 10:00:46 Reply

At 11/1/12 02:42 PM, Breed wrote: I thought there was an Ableton discussion thread already....

There may have been, but I never knew of it, or seen it. Upsetting news ppl: The Ableton website has taken on a new format fairly recently and now I can no longer find any of those complimentary packs and sets that Ableton hosted for its Live 8 users. If anyone can find that page again, great.

The site's been pretty much taken over by Live 9 and Push promotions.

Ectohelix
Ectohelix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Ableton Live Q & A + Discuss Thread 2012-11-02 14:02:03 Reply

At 11/2/12 10:00 AM, FaeryTaleAdventurer wrote: There may have been, but I never knew of it, or seen it. Upsetting news ppl: The Ableton website has taken on a new format fairly recently and now I can no longer find any of those complimentary packs and sets that Ableton hosted for its Live 8 users. If anyone can find that page again, great.

The site's been pretty much taken over by Live 9 and Push promotions.

https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/

Lol dude, it's on the top nav bar "Packs"

gh057official
gh057official
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Ableton Live Q & A + Discuss Thread 2012-11-02 16:11:47 Reply

If anyone is looking for some intel on Ableton Live, I use it as my primary DAW when making my music. I know the software practically inside and out, and have started to do some online tutorials for people.

Hit me back if you're interested and I'll help ya with what I know.

Quetya
Quetya
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Ableton Live Q & A + Discuss Thread 2012-11-05 17:48:19 Reply

Been working on a custom Newgrounds-themed skin for Ableton. Wish I could get both session and arrangement view at the same time but oh welll. Thoughts?

Ableton Live Q & A + Discuss Thread

BBS Signature
The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Ableton Live Q & A + Discuss Thread 2012-11-05 18:43:57 Reply

At 11/5/12 05:48 PM, Quetya wrote: Been working on a custom Newgrounds-themed skin for Ableton. Wish I could get both session and arrangement view at the same time but oh welll. Thoughts?

I think I'll stick to the original lol...

What can I say; I'm old fashioned!

AeroMusic
AeroMusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Ableton Live Q & A + Discuss Thread 2012-11-05 19:22:42 Reply

So glad someone made this :) gonna be back here often haha

jaysummers759885
jaysummers759885
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Ableton Live Q & A + Discuss Thread 2012-11-06 00:55:55 Reply

I have had questions about Ableton forever it seems. It is such an intricate program. I can't believe how actually happy I was when I saw this topic. It is like I just ate my first piece of bacon. For instance, the drum samples are kind of .... bleck..... they don't sound very organic in any way. I know that it is a DAW for more of an Electro, or Dub Step, kind of music, but I wondering if there was anyway to make the presets sound more organic.

Any tips?

~J

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Ableton Live Q & A + Discuss Thread 2012-11-06 01:31:51 Reply

At 11/6/12 12:55 AM, jaysummers759885 wrote: Any tips?

Don't use Ableton Live's stock samples. Hell, I didn't even bother downloading the sample packs when I bought the software. If you want quality drum samples, Vengeance is your best bet.

Quetya
Quetya
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Ableton Live Q & A + Discuss Thread 2012-11-06 02:36:35 Reply

At 11/5/12 06:43 PM, The-iMortal wrote: I think I'll stick to the original lol...

What can I say; I'm old fashioned!

no shame with that, I'll have it or something like it mediafired, if you change your mind!

BBS Signature
Ectohelix
Ectohelix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Ableton Live Q & A + Discuss Thread 2012-11-06 12:38:21 Reply

At 11/6/12 01:31 AM, The-iMortal wrote: Don't use Ableton Live's stock samples. Hell, I didn't even bother downloading the sample packs when I bought the software. If you want quality drum samples, Vengeance is your best bet.

This THISSSSS!!!! (even though I can't afford to drop $100 on samples atm :( I agree wholeheartedly via proxy)

:no shame with that, I'll have it or something like it mediafired, if you change your mind!

I'm interested in seeing what you can do.

jaysummers759885
jaysummers759885
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Ableton Live Q & A + Discuss Thread 2012-11-08 03:24:03 Reply

At 11/6/12 01:31 AM, The-iMortal wrote:
At 11/6/12 12:55 AM, jaysummers759885 wrote: Any tips?
Don't use Ableton Live's stock samples. Hell, I didn't even bother downloading the sample packs when I bought the software. If you want quality drum samples, Vengeance is your best bet.

``````````````````````````

Thanks, I will check that out!

~J

AeroMusic
AeroMusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Ableton Live Q & A + Discuss Thread 2012-11-22 17:36:57 Reply

Anyone know how to get a constant time measure on the interface? just when I'm in session view and mixing I'd like to see how long the mix is w/o having to go into arrangement and click somewhere

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Ableton Live Q & A + Discuss Thread 2012-11-22 18:03:26 Reply

At 11/22/12 05:36 PM, AeroMusic wrote: Anyone know how to get a constant time measure on the interface? just when I'm in session view and mixing I'd like to see how long the mix is w/o having to go into arrangement and click somewhere

Only way I know is to select the loop selection bar in arrangement view, and it'll tell you down the bottom how long that selection is. It takes tempo automations into account too.

I don't know if there is a way in session view, but how hard is it to hit tab, then click on the selection bar?

AeroMusic
AeroMusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Ableton Live Q & A + Discuss Thread 2012-11-23 12:16:11 Reply

Yeah, thats what I've been doing - suppose it's not hard, just every daw I've been on before had this feature and it's a little annoying when I'm not at the computer or when I want to know how long I have while doing something else

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Ableton Live Q & A + Discuss Thread 2012-12-12 21:13:39 Reply

I just found out a very useful feature Live has integrated: macro controls. You can control any combination of parameters from all plugins you wish to use, to be controlled by one knob.

Found this tutorial for those who have not discovered this yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEisxcqNLro

AeroMusic
AeroMusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Ableton Live Q & A + Discuss Thread 2014-01-05 13:31:53 Reply

My favourite thing about live is how quick it can be and how easily you can get ideas into songs, so heres just some keyboard shortcuts that will make your life alot easier :)

----------

Useful Keyboard Shortcuts

Ctrl + X = Cut - pretty useful for moving things about and I usually just use it instead of delete cause its quicker
Ctrl + D = Duplicate - probably my most used one, lets you duplicate clips, automations, tracks etc.
Ctrl + I = Insert Time - inserts blank bars equal to your selection, behind your selection
Ctrl + Shift + M = Insert MIDI Clip
Ctrl + N = New Audio Track
Ctrl + M = New MIDI Track
TAB = Switch session/arrange view
Ctrl + L = Loop selection
Ctrl + G = Group - group tracks, audio effects, and instruments
Ctrl + R = Rename - rename clips, tracks, locators and helps keep things organised
Ctrl + Shift + X = Cut Time - very useful if you want to delete a whole section and it copies to the clipboard
Ctrl + J = Consolidate - MEGA useful if you don't have ultra CPU, you can consolidate multiple MIDI/audio clips together (in the same track) and when used on audio clips, cuts the whole sample to that clips size and applies any pitch/volume or other effects done inside the audio clip.
0 = Deactivate/Reactivate clips - lets you inactivate clips so you can hear the track without them. Useful also for keeping a sample ready in arrangement view but not having it play.
Ctrl + Alt + Drag with Mouse = Lets you drag the whole arrangement window about vertically and horizontally
Alt + Mouse = lets you override the grid and select exactly where the mouse clicks
Ctrl + Shift + F = Follow - follow song position, used to just be Ctrl + F in versions below 9

Another useful tip is that when you drag with your mouse to make a selection, if you drag above the scrub area - everything upwards will be selected and vice versa if you drag below the master track (or audio effects section). Useful for copy-pasting large sections of a track.

Holding ALT on before clicking on an automation line lets you make a curve

On an audio track, you can select as the input type, 'Resampling'. If you then arm the track you can record any sounds coming out of the master track. You can use this to resample basses, consolidate a whole drum loop or just apply effects done to something into an audio clip.

-------

anyways, thought I'd contribute to this thread properly

AeroMusic
AeroMusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Ableton Live Q & A + Discuss Thread 2014-01-05 13:33:49 Reply

Ctrl + N and Ctrl + M are wrong lmao this is why I shouldn't do things from memory

Ctrl + T = New Audio Track
Ctrl + Shift + T = New MIDI Track
while I'm here
Ctrl + Alt + T = New Return Track

SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Ableton Live Q & A + Discuss Thread 2014-01-05 14:14:35 Reply

At 1/5/14 01:31 PM, AeroMusic wrote: Useful Keyboard Shortcuts

Don't forget B for pencil tool!

For all the max4live people, I put together a little Spectral Delay effect. Check out the video here for a demo of it

Download