Be a Supporter!

Dreams explained (Current theory)

  • 1,160 Views
  • 27 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Suprememessage
Suprememessage
  • Member since: Dec. 29, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Reader
Dreams explained (Current theory) Oct. 25th, 2012 @ 09:49 PM Reply

This is pretty much one of the most current theories on how dreams work and why we have them. So, while are are asleep our brain is making connections for events that happened in the day However, you still feel emotions, these emotions are almost spontaneous, but to help your mind deal with intense emotions, it pieces events from your life in no necessary order into a narrative. It doesn't have to make sense as long as it incites the right feelings. REM sleep is exciting since it is kind of like a simulation for your mind. Your mind tests out various possibilities. Now it's not perfect, and since the part of your brain involved in figuring out what will happen next, piecing things together chronologically and the like, is inactive during this phase. These dreams are vivid and easy to remember.

That is however, in REM sleep. You CAN dream in non-REM sleep. However, these dreams are just recaps of things you had been doing/thinking about a lot that day. Say if you had just been to Walmart you might dream about shopping for some food or something. This is just your brain connecting ideas that will help you in your waking life, which are usually boring. These dreams are bland, and forgettable. These dreams are ones that would be considered "boring". Dreams like going to the kitchen and eating a bowl of cereal would be like this.

Any questions, leave them in a response, if you have a more personal question PM me.


BBS Signature
ohbombuh
ohbombuh
  • Member since: Aug. 4, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Dreams explained (Current theory) Oct. 25th, 2012 @ 09:51 PM Reply

At 10/25/12 09:49 PM, Suprememessage wrote: Any questions, leave them in a response, if you have a more personal question PM me.

Why do you think Newgrounds is some kind of online university?


The simple fact is that some people will never be happy, no matter how good their lives are.

BBS Signature
Suprememessage
Suprememessage
  • Member since: Dec. 29, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Reader
Response to Dreams explained (Current theory) Oct. 25th, 2012 @ 09:58 PM Reply

At 10/25/12 09:51 PM, ohbombuh wrote:
At 10/25/12 09:49 PM, Suprememessage wrote: Any questions, leave them in a response, if you have a more personal question PM me.
Why do you think Newgrounds is some kind of online university?

I don't, I just tend to ramble on sometimes.


BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Member since: Aug. 21, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Dreams explained (Current theory) Oct. 25th, 2012 @ 10:23 PM Reply

Are you talking about the Expectation Fulfilment theory? Because if so, that is without a doubt the most piss-poor attempt at explaining it I've seen. You neither explained the theory's explanations of why dreams happen or how they work. One big long fucking rambling speech. Way to go.

It's applicable use as psychotherapy is the most interesting development, and it's a notable improvement from existing methods. I hope it continues to be developed and I think it's a step in the right direction in figuring out dreams as a concept. Might be able to shed some light on the "why the hell do we sleep" studies, too.

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Member since: Jan. 14, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 34
Melancholy
Response to Dreams explained (Current theory) Oct. 25th, 2012 @ 10:24 PM Reply

At 10/25/12 10:23 PM, Lintire wrote: Are you talking about the Expectation Fulfilment theory? Because if so, that is without a doubt the most piss-poor attempt at explaining it I've seen. You neither explained the theory's explanations of why dreams happen or how they work. One big long fucking rambling speech. Way to go.

lol told

Boss
Boss
  • Member since: Apr. 19, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Dreams explained (Current theory) Oct. 25th, 2012 @ 10:37 PM Reply

dont over think it

when you go to sleep your brain releases DMT

every time you go to sleep you are really just lying around stoned out of your fucking mind thinking about things while moving your eyes up int the back of your skull looking back and forth


I'm an instigator

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Member since: Dec. 2, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to Dreams explained (Current theory) Oct. 25th, 2012 @ 10:59 PM Reply

At 10/25/12 09:49 PM, Suprememessage wrote: theories

This pretty much debunks the whole thing. A theory is basically guessing.


This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Member since: Aug. 21, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Dreams explained (Current theory) Oct. 25th, 2012 @ 11:09 PM Reply

At 10/25/12 10:59 PM, jjjkuk wrote:
At 10/25/12 09:49 PM, Suprememessage wrote: theories
This pretty much debunks the whole thing. A theory is basically guessing.

Incorrect. A theory in a scientific context doesn't mean a simple idea, its the single highest level of scientific achievement (much like the Cell Theory, or Gravitational Theory). It's not bloody conjecture, it's substantiated explanation for observable events.

The difference is that scientific theories are testable and are often large bodies of culminated work with substantial evidence covering every aspect. Theories don't graduate to "become" anything else (the most popular misconception is that they are deemed laws with enough evidence), and they're certainly not "basically guessing" at any point.

glovia1
glovia1
  • Member since: Jul. 9, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Dreams explained (Current theory) Oct. 25th, 2012 @ 11:26 PM Reply

I remember one of the older theories was the fact that dreams are actually subconscious desires. I'm not quite sure what the science behind that was but apparently that theory was discarded. This seems like a more reasonable and comprehensive theory.


No one lives forever. Live life to the fullest and enjoy every moment of it. Cause one day your life's gonna flash before your eyes...make sure its worth watching.

BBS Signature
HighWay
HighWay
  • Member since: Aug. 23, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Dreams explained (Current theory) Oct. 25th, 2012 @ 11:27 PM Reply

I haven't had a dream in weeks.

Does this mean I'm empty on the inside?


The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

BBS Signature
EnigmaticWolf
EnigmaticWolf
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Dreams explained (Current theory) Oct. 25th, 2012 @ 11:35 PM Reply

Dear Suprememessage,

Lintire is correct on his/her assessment.

On a personal note, I believe dreams are created by our minds via the symbols of our abstract /self/; these symbols standing for different meanings that are tied to our abstract /self/. If my theory is correct, we could tie this to reality and explain why people are able to paint over reality with their personal reality (i.e, dispositions, values, beliefs and perceptions).

Tankdown
Tankdown
  • Member since: May. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Dreams explained (Current theory) Oct. 26th, 2012 @ 12:14 AM Reply

This theory can be true....but for the sake of science lets add a counter example.

Whatever the brain does doesn't necessary mean it's the reason we sleep. The body has a need to heal, grow, and all that jazz so the brain takes the opportunity to continue cognitive functions. The whole idea of dealing with emotions, REM sleep, or anything can be an accident to the need function of the body.


My logic has a tendency of getting me getting stuck in the middle.

Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Member since: Apr. 26, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Dreams explained (Current theory) Oct. 26th, 2012 @ 12:17 AM Reply

A dream is a wish your heart makes!


NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Genius Party (various, 2007, Japan) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
ImlunchBoxx
ImlunchBoxx
  • Member since: Feb. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Gamer
Response to Dreams explained (Current theory) Oct. 26th, 2012 @ 03:25 AM Reply

do you guys even lift


BBS Signature
PIED3
PIED3
  • Member since: Apr. 13, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Dreams explained (Current theory) Oct. 26th, 2012 @ 03:36 AM Reply

Being "current" is hardly a good thing. I'd like to hear the most persuasive theory on dreams.

At 10/26/12 03:25 AM, ImlunchBoxx wrote: do you guys even lift

Please go away.


BBS Signature
WiiFittoToreinaa
WiiFittoToreinaa
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Melancholy
Response to Dreams explained (Current theory) Oct. 26th, 2012 @ 04:01 AM Reply

Will this be on the quiz?


Get lyrically fit!!!!
Props to Embr for putting my sig into shape!!!

BBS Signature
Phobotech
Phobotech
  • Member since: Sep. 22, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Animator
Response to Dreams explained (Current theory) Oct. 26th, 2012 @ 07:27 AM Reply

So, the vivid dreams simulating extremes in emotions, sometimes death, or catastrophic failure are pretty much my brain creating a simulation?

Is that what dictates an REM dream?


"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature
Suprememessage
Suprememessage
  • Member since: Dec. 29, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Reader
Response to Dreams explained (Current theory) Oct. 26th, 2012 @ 02:49 PM Reply

At 10/25/12 10:23 PM, Lintire wrote: Are you talking about the Expectation Fulfilment theory? Because if so, that is without a doubt the most piss-poor attempt at explaining it I've seen. You neither explained the theory's explanations of why dreams happen or how they work. One big long fucking rambling speech. Way to go.

It's applicable use as psychotherapy is the most interesting development, and it's a notable improvement from existing methods. I hope it continues to be developed and I think it's a step in the right direction in figuring out dreams as a concept. Might be able to shed some light on the "why the hell do we sleep" studies, too.

No I'm not referring to expectation fufillment theory. I am stating that our brain forms mental connections in non-REM sleep, and assesses possible emotions it may experience during REM-sleep. The theory I'm referring to is that you brain turns your emotions into a narrative, meant only to match the emotions. That way your brain can handle it.


BBS Signature
Tankdown
Tankdown
  • Member since: May. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Dreams explained (Current theory) Oct. 26th, 2012 @ 03:22 PM Reply

At 10/26/12 04:01 AM, tsukikomi wrote: Will this be on the quiz?

Yes, this will count as 90% of your final grade. If you fail the school will mark you retarded.

Sorry I don't make the rules. :p

At 10/26/12 02:49 PM, Suprememessage wrote: No I'm not referring to expectation fufillment theory. I am stating that our brain forms mental connections in non-REM sleep, and assesses possible emotions it may experience during REM-sleep. The theory I'm referring to is that you brain turns your emotions into a narrative, meant only to match the emotions. That way your brain can handle it.

Expectations for the brain working peacefully as a single entity. How do we know brain sections don't fight for more control like in a Darwinian world? Ideas, illusions, and complex orders of random code competing for dominance. All the time our emotions fight each other for truth, or chaos from our external world and chemical/biological system. New brain cells are created during sleep, so how do we know few of them are just throwing random code to compete?


My logic has a tendency of getting me getting stuck in the middle.

Suprememessage
Suprememessage
  • Member since: Dec. 29, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Reader
Response to Dreams explained (Current theory) Oct. 26th, 2012 @ 03:31 PM Reply

At 10/26/12 03:22 PM, Tankdown wrote:
At 10/26/12 04:01 AM, tsukikomi wrote: Will this be on the quiz?
Yes, this will count as 90% of your final grade. If you fail the school will mark you retarded.

Sorry I don't make the rules. :p

At 10/26/12 02:49 PM, Suprememessage wrote: No I'm not referring to expectation fufillment theory. I am stating that our brain forms mental connections in non-REM sleep, and assesses possible emotions it may experience during REM-sleep. The theory I'm referring to is that you brain turns your emotions into a narrative, meant only to match the emotions. That way your brain can handle it.
Expectations for the brain working peacefully as a single entity. How do we know brain sections don't fight for more control like in a Darwinian world? Ideas, illusions, and complex orders of random code competing for dominance. All the time our emotions fight each other for truth, or chaos from our external world and chemical/biological system. New brain cells are created during sleep, so how do we know few of them are just throwing random code to compete?

Because if brains fought for control you would not be able to function. They can't fight for "control" because they all do specific things. You grossly misunderstand how the brain works. Certain parts are involved in certain processes, they can't "take over" other activities that are done.


BBS Signature
dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Member since: Feb. 17, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Dreams explained (Current theory) Oct. 26th, 2012 @ 03:45 PM Reply

At 10/25/12 09:49 PM, Suprememessage wrote: However, you still feel emotions, these emotions are almost spontaneous, but to help your mind deal with intense emotions, it pieces events from your life in no necessary order into a narrative. It doesn't have to make sense as long as it incites the right feelings. REM sleep is exciting since it is kind of like a simulation for your mind. Your mind tests out various possibilities. Now it's not perfect, and since the part of your brain involved in figuring out what will happen next, piecing things together chronologically and the like, is inactive during this phase. These dreams are vivid and easy to remember.

What you are talking is 2 totally separated things.

What you said, that we called it as subconsciousness. Normal dreaming considers as unconscious, you are unaware of your dream. Having nightmare is the samething, you do not aware that you are in sleeping stage. But in subconscious stage you know you are dreaming. Hence the lucid dreams, where you are aware of the dream and can continue on the dream after waking then sleep back.

You should go and read more. Better, go experiment with various dreams. Such as lucid or natural dreams.


What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
Suprememessage
Suprememessage
  • Member since: Dec. 29, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Reader
Response to Dreams explained (Current theory) Oct. 26th, 2012 @ 04:42 PM Reply

At 10/25/12 11:27 PM, HighWay wrote: I haven't had a dream in weeks.

Does this mean I'm empty on the inside?

You have dreams every night if you're healthy you just usually don't remember them. The closer the time you wake up is to the time that the actual dream occurs will affect the chances of remembering it.


BBS Signature
Tankdown
Tankdown
  • Member since: May. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Dreams explained (Current theory) Oct. 26th, 2012 @ 10:46 PM Reply

At 10/26/12 03:31 PM, Suprememessage wrote: Because if brains fought for control you would not be able to function. They can't fight for "control" because they all do specific things. You grossly misunderstand how the brain works. Certain parts are involved in certain processes, they can't "take over" other activities that are done.

Assuming if each emotion, or thought, acts properly as a single person, as they do not. I can grow a habit of never flushing a toilet out of a deep seed by sleeping with my older sister (thank god I don't have one). That emotion can spawn into new fractions by quitting school, avoiding eye contact, and etc.

Also this is assuming if any one function cannot operate under the circumstances. A business can stay open regardless if a single variable like not being to sell their best product. Another analogy is the computer. The recycling bin is emptied. A good computer scientist knows the memory is not really gone from the hard-drive, rather moved to a part of the hard-drive where it will eventually be overwritten. Reason being it is mathematically impossible to erase the memory. That same code of virus can operate within the brain. This supports that no memory is ever forbidden, just hidden or lost.

Order, function, or whatever happens within chaos all the time. :)

This random idea I had doesn't destroy the opportunity dreams can be in your theory. I just wanted to add competition.


My logic has a tendency of getting me getting stuck in the middle.

Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Member since: Apr. 22, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Dreams explained (Current theory) Oct. 26th, 2012 @ 10:47 PM Reply

Last night I dreamed that the president was shot.

Suprememessage
Suprememessage
  • Member since: Dec. 29, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Reader
Response to Dreams explained (Current theory) Oct. 27th, 2012 @ 10:27 AM Reply

dem0lecule I think you misunderstand, I did talk about two seperate things. Different parts of your brain are responsible for non-REM and REM sleep, and they serve different purposes. Non-REM sleep is your brain forming connections between things because it feels that they'd be useful, like dreaming you drive down a long and stop at lots of stop signs or having a dream that you continuously log into your E-mail.

REM sleep is your brain causing a simulation of different possible emotions. Your brain tests different emotions it wouldn't be able to deal with by taking different random memories and ideas and piecing them into a narrative, and this helps because your brain doesn't have any consequences to deal with. Some proof of this is scientists had a test where people had to piece words and ideas together. To show REM sleep helped cognitive functions and problem-solving abilities, they had people who had just had REM sleep before the experiment, against people who didn't just have REM sleep (They hooked them up to machines to see their brain activity, that's how they knew who was dreaming in REM-sleep, they prevented the others from having REM sleep by waking them up before they could achieve that stage of sleep) the people who had REM sleep solved the test 40% more often than those who did not.

Tankdown, in this thread I am merely talking about function of a NORMAL healthy indivisual. Some people are unable to have REM sleep, and close to all of them have some other form of mental illness, usually caused directly BY the inability to have REM sleep. This is how scientists conclude it must be an important function of the brain. If you have underlying mental illnesses, of course the same results cannot be expected.

Phobotech, yes, it is your brain testing out possible emotions it may have to deal with, with no consequences. It uses the images of death and such, in order to piece together the strong negative (or positive) emotions into a narrative.

Pied3, I do believe this is the most logical theory. And currently most scientists working in the field agree with me.

EnigmaticWolf, I respect your opinion, but your theory has no evidence to back it up, while mine has years of research on brain activity, responses to lack of REM-sleep, and more to back it up. I think you're approaching it from a more spiritual level.


BBS Signature
Slint
Slint
  • Member since: Nov. 6, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 34
Audiophile
Response to Dreams explained (Current theory) Oct. 27th, 2012 @ 12:05 PM Reply

At 10/25/12 10:59 PM, jjjkuk wrote:
At 10/25/12 09:49 PM, Suprememessage wrote: theories
This pretty much debunks the whole thing. A theory is basically guessing.

Does your shitposting and ignorance come out naturally or do you aim for it?


Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Artist
Response to Dreams explained (Current theory) Oct. 27th, 2012 @ 12:10 PM Reply

vsauce is my favorite channel. So many sciency things. Be warned, once you see the suggested videos you will go on a never ending quest of knowledge.
But yeah, video above explains why we dream.

Tankdown
Tankdown
  • Member since: May. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Dreams explained (Current theory) Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 06:20 PM Reply

At 10/27/12 10:27 AM, Suprememessage wrote: Tankdown, in this thread I am merely talking about function of a NORMAL healthy indivisual. Some people are unable to have REM sleep, and close to all of them have some other form of mental illness, usually caused directly BY the inability to have REM sleep. This is how scientists conclude it must be an important function of the brain. If you have underlying mental illnesses, of course the same results cannot be expected.

.....Okay..the state of my sanely is duly note

It's not that weird, or bad. Our emotions conflict and compete with each other all the time. Is it really that bad if random code can be thrown into a growing brain while it sleeps?


My logic has a tendency of getting me getting stuck in the middle.