New Topic Respond to this Topic
darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
what makes a good sonic game? 2012-10-24 12:49:55 Reply

we can all agree that sonic has created the worst game in history like sonic 06 and sonic r. but like the title says, what do you think makes a good sonic game?

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature
Klobb17
Klobb17
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to what makes a good sonic game? 2012-10-24 14:12:53 Reply

Honestly? Chao Gardens. Those are what made Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 my favorite Sonic games period. There's just something amusing raising one of those little guys from a cutesy baby to a beefed up ghost (read: no legs) wearing a pumpkin on his head, pitting him against other Chao in a fighting contest.

Oh, and not having a terrible rushed abortion with shitastical physics and numerous annoying bugs like '06 helps, too. Otherwise, as Silver would say, "IT'S NO USE!!1!"

SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Musician
Response to what makes a good sonic game? 2012-10-24 16:12:08 Reply

At 10/24/12 02:12 PM, Klobb17 wrote: Honestly? Chao Gardens. Those are what made Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 my favorite Sonic games period. There's just something amusing raising one of those little guys from a cutesy baby to a beefed up ghost (read: no legs) wearing a pumpkin on his head, pitting him against other Chao in a fighting contest.

I agree with this. Raising the chaos was quite fun, although I preferred the Adventure 2 style more for a lot of reasons. That and unlike Adventure, Adventure 2 didn't switch your view to another chao for every moment they got cheered on even if you were trying to cheer your own on. That and Adventure was missing a Stamina bar meaning you never knew when your chao would rest on the course if you had low stamina levels (under 15). That and the levels in both games were quite fun to go through. Speed Highway, Windy Valley, Radical Highway, Mission Street, etc.

Oh, and not having a terrible rushed abortion with shitastical physics and numerous annoying bugs like '06 helps, too. Otherwise, as Silver would say, "IT'S NO USE!!1!"

That and having a Fishing game character, not that Big was entirely unfun to play but the fishing part just seemed to suck a lot of fun away from what the Sonic game was really about. That and rushing as was done with Sonic '06 obviously.

<33/Request Reviews/Review Request Club / #9 Reviewer / #3 Audio Reviewer

BBS Signature
Klobb17
Klobb17
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to what makes a good sonic game? 2012-10-24 16:43:37 Reply

At 10/24/12 04:12 PM, SCTE3 wrote: That That That That That

That's a lot of thats :P

I agree about Big though. I'll admit, I like his character (something about the "big dumb guy" aspect I suppose, like Lenny from "Of Mice and Men"), but his stages in Adventure were just so bizarrely different, and not in a very good way either. I'm not saying that he shouldn't be in future games or quit fishing as a hobby, I'm just saying that maybe make him more of the big bruiser that can bash robots to pieces, like he was in Sonic Heroes if I recall.

ManDeep
ManDeep
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to what makes a good sonic game? 2012-10-24 17:17:25 Reply

At 10/24/12 12:49 PM, darkjam wrote: we can all agree that sonic has created the worst game in history like sonic 06 and sonic r. but like the title says, what do you think makes a good sonic game?

I think if there was a game where you throw Sonic and pals into a pit filled with nails, snakes, acid and fire... It would be fucking great.

Chdonga
Chdonga
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Game Developer
Response to what makes a good sonic game? 2012-10-24 17:31:48 Reply

At 10/24/12 12:49 PM, darkjam wrote: Sonic R
Worst game in history

Ahahaha
AHAHAHAHAHAHA

no fuck you

but like the title says, what do you think makes a good sonic game?

Time.
Sonic '06 had the potential to be a good game, but it was rushed. People like to say the plot was bad, but it was no worse than Adventure 2's plot about hedgehogs going into space to fight a giant amputee lizard, or Adventure 1's plot about ancient aztec/mayan hedgehogs and a spooky water monster. The only true problem '06 had was it was buggy.

Oh, and Chao Gardens. Sonic '06 needed Chao Gardens.

BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to what makes a good sonic game? 2012-10-24 20:58:43 Reply

At 10/24/12 05:31 PM, Chdonga wrote: Time.
Sonic '06 had the potential to be a good game, but it was rushed. People like to say the plot was bad, but it was no worse than Adventure 2's plot about hedgehogs going into space to fight a giant amputee lizard, or Adventure 1's plot about ancient aztec/mayan hedgehogs and a spooky water monster. The only true problem '06 had was it was buggy.

Yeah but what made the adventure series work was they we're actually fun and story was entertaining. *gasp* And they we're developed during the early days of true 3D modeling.

QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Musician
Response to what makes a good sonic game? 2012-10-24 21:16:22 Reply

At 10/24/12 08:58 PM, II2none wrote:
Yeah but what made the adventure series work was they we're actually fun and story was entertaining. *gasp* And they we're developed during the early days of true 3D modeling.

Maybe the next Sonic game could bring back the chao garden and allow your chao to compete against other player's chaos around the world. Would be entertaining to see how others raise theirs.

<33/Request Reviews/Review Request Club / #9 Reviewer / #3 Audio Reviewer

BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to what makes a good sonic game? 2012-10-24 21:25:34 Reply

At 10/24/12 09:16 PM, SCTE3 wrote: Maybe the next Sonic game could bring back the chao garden and allow your chao to compete against other player's chaos around the world. Would be entertaining to see how others raise theirs.

I'd be all over that. Especially Chao Karate, except this time around maybe the player has more control then spamming the A button and listening to obnoxious sounds.

QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

BBS Signature
Chdonga
Chdonga
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Game Developer
Response to what makes a good sonic game? 2012-10-24 21:30:24 Reply

At 10/24/12 08:58 PM, II2none wrote: Yeah but what made the adventure series work was they we're actually fun and story was entertaining. And they we're developed during the early days of true 3D modeling.

I wonder. If you gave a kid Sonic '06 as his first game, would he look back at it as fondly as fans look back on the Sonic Adventure series?
I mean, Sonic Adventure was one of my first games. I remember playing it at Circuit City and thinking it was so amazing. But playing Adventure 1 and 2 now. It really hasn't aged well.

BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to what makes a good sonic game? 2012-10-24 21:46:17 Reply

At 10/24/12 09:30 PM, Chdonga wrote:
I mean, Sonic Adventure was one of my first games. I remember playing it at Circuit City and thinking it was so amazing. But playing Adventure 1 and 2 now. It really hasn't aged well.

Nostalgia aside I agree, I sure as hell wouldn't introduce this game to the younger generation unless they were REALLY fond of Sonic. It would be even more difficult if the first one they touch was Sonic06 and I definitely would not blame them for growing up with the sonic games sucks mentality. The mechanics of both games can get very repetitive to newcomers especially if they aren't fond of the aesthetic aspect or Storyline. The replay value of both games is either going to be the storyline or the mini games (chao garden) and I'm sure most young bloods would pass it especially with Some BIGAAA games around the corner.

QOTW:

BBS Signature
darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to what makes a good sonic game? 2012-10-25 07:32:35 Reply

Nostalgia aside I agree, I sure as hell wouldn't introduce this game to the younger generation unless they were REALLY fond of Sonic

actually just got into sonic last year with sonic colors and i think adventure and adventure 2 is better so does my cousin who's 8 and he's only played colors, generations and both episodes of sonic 4 so not all new sonic fans have to be VERY fond of the series

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature
BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to what makes a good sonic game? 2012-10-25 08:04:43 Reply

SANIC

II2none
II2none
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to what makes a good sonic game? 2012-10-25 10:40:23 Reply

At 10/25/12 07:32 AM, darkjam wrote:
Nostalgia aside I agree, I sure as hell wouldn't introduce this game to the younger generation unless they were REALLY fond of Sonic
actually just got into sonic last year with sonic colors and i think adventure and adventure 2 is better so does my cousin who's 8 and he's only played colors, generations and both episodes of sonic 4 so not all new sonic fans have to be VERY fond of the series

I was speaking majority wise. The sonic franchise was well before there time so it's reasonable to think many wouldn't be interested especially when COD has such a grip on the younger generation.

QOTW:

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to what makes a good sonic game? 2012-10-25 11:43:04 Reply

1: 2D
2: Contain only good characters, mostly the early ones
3: Get rid of Cream and Big
4: Stop with the pallet swap hedgehogs. Sonic and Amy were fine, Shadow is an okish if very overused concept poorly executed, Silver is a pile of shit and the other green hedgehog whatever the hell he is called is just terrible.
5: Take place on Mobius or the Miracle Planet, stop with the earth / human bullshit.
6: Take concepts from AOSTH and satAM

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
Pkmn2
Pkmn2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Animator
Response to what makes a good sonic game? 2012-10-28 10:32:46 Reply

If it comes to the main Sonic games, then I would say the following..

Solid gameplay that makes you experience the sensation of speed and smooth movement.
Acceptable platforming with various routes to choose from.
Rememberable soundtrack corresponding to the game's theme.

(Optional)
Elements that enhances the core game elements.
Alternative gameplay.
Extra goals to increase replayability.

PS.: Chao Garden belongs to the optional section. That alone does not make a Sonic game good.

If it were some sidegames like Sonic Shuffle, I would say...
It should be playable and fun. Period.

Nintentrix. Presto Sprites! Retro Sights!

BBS Signature
Shade
Shade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Voice Actor
Response to what makes a good sonic game? 2012-10-28 11:07:01 Reply

Running really fast and killing robots.

II2none
II2none
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to what makes a good sonic game? 2012-10-28 13:53:59 Reply

At 10/25/12 11:43 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: 1: 2D

Does not factor into a good sonic game.

QOTW:

BBS Signature
Gustavos
Gustavos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to what makes a good sonic game? 2012-10-28 15:45:17 Reply

It's funny, I never tried out the Chao garden in the Adventure games because I never had any idea what I was supposed to do there. I even have a link cable with the GBA game, Sonic Advance. Sonic has an awful track record with the quality of his games. I think I found something wrong with just about every entry of the series. Yes, that includes the originals, the Adventure series, and even Generations.

As far as the originals, I feel like every level that wasn't the first three or so weren't playtested well enough. I commonly found myself stuck in a wall or in the ground just because I was speeding through a level and making creative jumps. Other times, certain hazards are just dickishly placed. You're running at full speed, stop immediately when Sonic hits an object that you should jump over, and spikes come up from the ground to make you lose your rings. It's something the player cannot see even if they were paying close attention.

The Adventure series is pitiful in both level design and control. Honestly, though I rank 06 as the worst, it's just behind SA1. There's very limited camera control, the scripted sequences of running really fast through an area can kill you if you realize that you're not controlling the character, but don't see that control has been given back to you before Sonic runs clear off a cliff or the side of a loop. Sonic Heroes was especially bad about this. I don't think I have to mention the gameplay in Big's story. And somehow the treasure hunting segments with Knuckles were made even worse in SA2. Every enemy is either not worth killing or has a cheap attack that's almost guaranteed to hit you. Nearly every boss in the two games was a joke of a challenge. You know what? Joke is the only word to describe the games. Because '06 was terrible in ways that made the player actively angry. The Adventure games are terrible in ways that are funny or random. Stuff that we can just make fun of. How people suddenly decided they're good games, even the best, is beyond me. The only aspect of those games that impressed me, was the multiplayer I tried out in SA2, after finishing the game. Racing the other player with characters like mecha sonic and chaos is the only entertainment that can be found.

Generations isn't a bad game, not at all. It was just really short. They finally perfected both Modern and Classic Sonic gameplay, but gave us something that the average player will beat in four hours. There's a lot of unlockables and challenges, but I felt myself wanting a lot more. Especially since there's quite a few Sonic games that weren't even represented. I feel like time travel wasn't really taken advantage of story-wise except for a few jokes.

Nonetheless, I have high hopes for Sonic Adventure 3. They got the gameplay down, so I can't see how it can be a COMPLETE failure.

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

CalamityCB
CalamityCB
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to what makes a good sonic game? 2012-10-28 16:12:10 Reply

Well I'm not sure what would make a good sonic game, but if sega does mess up again like sonic 06 they should do a full reboot. To be honest the dream sonic game of mine would be in 2D and a cartoony/Hand drawn visual stlye , like this HD remake of Sonic 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA5XqON9OcI

boop

unconsidered
unconsidered
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to what makes a good sonic game? 2012-10-28 16:52:57 Reply

One word: Speed. Sonic has always been about speed; that was the basis of his first games, and should always be. Pathing, stage structure, game mechanics/quick cheap gimmick used sparingly, all important in a sonic game. But it's also important to have contrast, a section for non-speed. It can be mini-games like in the Black Knight, or the chao training in Adventures, or it can be the story. I don't mind how many friends they put into the game, as long as they have a reason for being there. But that's what I look for in a Sonic game.

WiiFittoToreinaa
WiiFittoToreinaa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Melancholy
Response to what makes a good sonic game? 2012-10-28 17:10:24 Reply

The part were sonic runs fast.

Get lyrically fit!!!!
Props to Embr for putting my sig into shape!!!

BBS Signature
momijirabbit
momijirabbit
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to what makes a good sonic game? 2012-10-31 12:08:59 Reply

Speed and Platfoming is what makes sonic games good, this is the reason why all of unleashed stages were so dreadful, it's either platfoming + mash square or just hold down Square occasional pressing X.

The Ledge

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to what makes a good sonic game? 2012-10-31 15:29:02 Reply

if the daytime segments were an arcade cabinet this would be fucking killer.
The daytime stages felt just like an arcade game, fast, exhilerating, all about the points, and damn beautiful. Im serious, if we took the daytime stages and put them in an arcade cabinet that machine would eat quarters.

Made even better by the fact you could finish a stage in like 4 minutes. It's good for short, controlled bursts.

Though sonic is about clever platforming, like any other platformer, to see a spin off series like this would be fantastic.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
Quinny
Quinny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Gamer
Response to what makes a good sonic game? 2012-10-31 15:52:08 Reply

Sheer speed and a good soundtrack. Also, do away with voice actors. In fact, just do a remake of Sonic 2 and call it quits.

TEABAGGIN' AIN'T EASY

English Gents Club | 5th on PS3 Trophy Leaderboard | PSN: KillSwitch_Bob | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature
Osyris
Osyris
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Gamer
Response to what makes a good sonic game? 2012-10-31 22:28:36 Reply

Original level design... Huge regards to Sonic Heroes. Sure the stages could be hours long and the story needed work, but I had the most fun playing it.

BBS Signature
Pa4oo
Pa4oo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to what makes a good sonic game? 2012-11-05 13:56:53 Reply

maybe a cool game with awesome graphics and alot of characters to play with