00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Cody1993 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New Super Mario bros U thread.

3,296 Views | 44 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

New Super Mario bros U thread. 2012-10-22 16:34:53

Yes, another one, but it looks more promising than the Wii and 3DS versions.

I read a few articles clearly making links between this games and Super Mario World, as opposed to any other Mario game. Just like Mario 3D Land borrowed heavily from Mario 3, this game wants to give life to Mario's 4th main game.

Baby Yoshi's return, as little fat blobs of cute that you can hold to use their powers, a distinct mountain background that looks very much like the ones in World,and a large continuous world map, like Mario World.

Other cool features include boost rush mode, where the screen auto-scrolls making the levels harder based on how many coins you collect, a challenge mode (get 10 1-ups in a minute, don't touch the ground, etc...), and a Gamepad player who can place platforms by touching on the screen (5 players at a time).

TL;DR, Mario HD, up to 5 players, Mario World inspired, first Mario game to launch with a system since the N64. And since Rayman Legends is delayed, this is the best looking platformer at launch.

New Super Mario bros U thread.

Response to New Super Mario bros U thread. 2012-10-22 17:09:58

...heheh I still like the blue yoshi's face.

Xbox live: C0n Queso

PSN: A-Spiky-Kitten

Steam: Baby Diesel

BBS Signature

Response to New Super Mario bros U thread. 2012-10-22 18:14:12

I was lucky enough to test-play it recently; Nintendo didn't show up at Gamescom so I thought I'd never touch the Wii U before launch:
It's basically New Super Mario Bros Wii with new things thrown in but that doesn't diminish the fun if you have a few people to play it with. The person with the tablet controller was able to create platforms that disappear after you step on them or after some seconds but other than that we found no other tablet functions in the time we had.

BBS Signature

Response to New Super Mario bros U thread. 2012-10-22 18:59:07

At 10/22/12 06:14 PM, kmau wrote: but other than that we found no other tablet functions in the time we had.

I read somewhere that successfully placing platforms (as in someone uses them) will fill up a meter, and a full meter lets you give a one time insta-kill, very effective on Thwomps.

Response to New Super Mario bros U thread. 2012-10-22 19:20:48

Im just excited to try out the yoshis. Im wondering if any of them can become full sized yoshis, or if its just the baby ones

Response to New Super Mario bros U thread. 2012-10-22 19:28:16

At 10/22/12 07:20 PM, Lionelion wrote: Im just excited to try out the yoshis. Im wondering if any of them can become full sized yoshis, or if its just the baby ones

Just babies, they can't eat anything I think.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that the formula is shaken up a bit. Instead of Bowser taking Peach away to his castle, he actually throws the players miles away, and the final Castle might actually be Peach's. I'm glad they decided to change the story a bit, especially for an awesome final boss battle.

Response to New Super Mario bros U thread. 2012-10-22 20:02:33

At 10/22/12 07:20 PM, Lionelion wrote: Im just excited to try out the yoshis. Im wondering if any of them can become full sized yoshis, or if its just the baby ones

Sadly, only Green ones are ridable. All the other Yoshi's stay babies that you carry.

Response to New Super Mario bros U thread. 2012-10-22 23:36:28

At 10/22/12 07:28 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote:
Just babies, they can't eat anything I think.

Some of them can, which is why I asked

One other thing I forgot to mention is that the formula is shaken up a bit. Instead of Bowser taking Peach away to his castle, he actually throws the players miles away, and the final Castle might actually be Peach's. I'm glad they decided to change the story a bit, especially for an awesome final boss battle.

This actually sounds pretty cool. They just get tossed away after each castle, or what?

Response to New Super Mario bros U thread. 2012-11-15 21:03:13

This game is getting favourable reviews, saying it is the best out the four "New" series of Mario games. The single world map, bay Yoshi's, and an awesome challenge mode look really good, and much more worth the title of "New".

Too bad there is almost no new music.

Sigh...

Response to New Super Mario bros U thread. 2012-11-15 21:54:17

At 11/15/12 09:03 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote: This game is getting favourable reviews, saying it is the best out the four "New" series of Mario games. The single world map, bay Yoshi's, and an awesome challenge mode look really good, and much more worth the title of "New".

Too bad there is almost no new music.

Sigh...

I am not surprised. I am more hyped for this game than any of the previous titles in the new series.

Also why is the music a problem? I think the music is rather relaxing even if most of it is recycled once again.

Response to New Super Mario bros U thread. 2012-11-15 23:16:28

At 11/15/12 09:54 PM, Emlfuryoflion wrote:

Also why is the music a problem? I think the music is rather relaxing even if most of it is recycled once again.

I'm just a big fan of videogeam music. I was hoping for a new OST, but a few new tracks will do.

Response to New Super Mario bros U thread. 2012-11-15 23:50:24

I'll probably pick this up eventually. I still need to play New Super Mario Bros. 2, though.

I can never find enough people to play meaningful four player co-op, though. :(

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to New Super Mario bros U thread. 2012-11-16 00:21:36

This'll probably be the only game I get for the WiiU(beside's nintendoland of course)until they release more games

Response to New Super Mario bros U thread. 2012-11-16 11:07:44

At 11/15/12 11:50 PM, ZJ wrote: I'll probably pick this up eventually. I still need to play New Super Mario Bros. 2, though.

2 players are ideal. 2 players plus someone on the Gamepad is even better.

Response to New Super Mario bros U thread. 2012-11-16 11:37:08

At 11/16/12 11:07 AM, Bobbybroccoli wrote:
At 11/15/12 11:50 PM, ZJ wrote: I'll probably pick this up eventually. I still need to play New Super Mario Bros. 2, though.

2 players are ideal. 2 players plus someone on the Gamepad is even better.

It is crazy playing it with 4 players though. If you haven't had a chance to play it that way you should. Everyone starts to become their own worst enemies playing.

Response to New Super Mario bros U thread. 2012-11-18 21:14:46

The game is quite fun. The Gamepad to add platforms works well, and my friends and I enjoyed screwing each other over. i am already done world 1 though, pretty fast. Fortunately challenge mode should keep me busy.

Great game, better than the New Super Mario bros 2, for sure.

Response to New Super Mario bros U thread. 2012-11-18 21:35:26

At 11/16/12 11:37 AM, Emlfuryoflion wrote:
It is crazy playing it with 4 players though. If you haven't had a chance to play it that way you should. Everyone starts to become their own worst enemies playing.

One of the things that I learned from New Super Mario Bros. Wii is that the 4-player co-op is fun until you get to the later levels and then it quickly becomes, "everyone get in a bubble while I clear this really hard part".

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to New Super Mario bros U thread. 2013-02-14 16:37:00

Nintendo just announced New Super Luigi U in honour of the year of Luigi.

The game will be 80 levels (AS MANY AS THE ON DISC GAME) of paid DLC.

When Nintendo said they want to take DLC seriously, they really meant it.

Response to New Super Mario bros U thread. 2013-02-14 18:02:19

At 2/14/13 04:37 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote: Nintendo just announced New Super Luigi U in honour of the year of Luigi.

Holy shit. I'll definitely be buying this DLC for sure!

Response to New Super Mario bros U thread. 2013-02-14 18:04:08

At 2/14/13 04:37 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote: Nintendo just announced New Super Luigi U in honour of the year of Luigi.

Holy shit, i'll definitely be getting this DLC for sure!

Response to New Super Mario bros U thread. 2013-02-14 20:51:56

I am definitely getting it too. Luigi is awesome and deserves to be #1 :)

Really though I am hoping this isn't a single player only DLC I hope the local multiplayer aspect of the game is playable in the DLC mode.

Response to New Super Mario bros U thread. 2013-02-14 22:44:44

At 2/14/13 08:51 PM, Emlfuryoflion wrote: I am definitely getting it too. Luigi is awesome and deserves to be #1 :)

Really though I am hoping this isn't a single player only DLC I hope the local multiplayer aspect of the game is playable in the DLC mode.

They actually purposefully removed the "Bros" from the title to make sure people know it is single player only. An analysis video pointed out that the stages looked like they were designed to be more difficult, and had less space for multiple players.

I love Luigi. He is more interesting than Mario, and this looks like a really promising DLC.

Response to New Super Mario bros U thread. 2013-02-15 02:49:09

At 2/14/13 10:44 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote:
At 2/14/13 08:51 PM, Emlfuryoflion wrote: I am definitely getting it too. Luigi is awesome and deserves to be #1 :)

They actually purposefully removed the "Bros" from the title to make sure people know it is single player only. An analysis video pointed out that the stages looked like they were designed to be more difficult, and had less space for multiple players.

I love Luigi. He is more interesting than Mario, and this looks like a really promising DLC.

If that is the case that would be a little disappointing. I love playing these games with friends. Oh well still plan to buy it though.

Response to New Super Mario bros U thread. 2013-02-15 03:39:03

I reckon it looks awesome! The Mario franchise is awesome in general.

Judge my music taste! || Add me on Steam || Letterboxd

The description doesn't fit, if not a synonym of menace

BBS Signature

Response to New Super Mario bros U thread. 2013-02-15 23:31:15

Finally beat it. Took awhile to find all those secret exits and whatnot, but i eventually got a 5 star profile!

Response to New Super Mario bros U thread. 2013-02-16 01:45:18

At 2/15/13 11:31 PM, Lionelion wrote: Finally beat it. Took awhile to find all those secret exits and whatnot, but i eventually got a 5 star profile!

Me too. I don't about you though but I cheated to get to 5 stars lol.

Response to New Super Mario bros U thread. 2013-02-18 02:38:14

At 2/16/13 01:45 AM, Emlfuryoflion wrote:
At 2/15/13 11:31 PM, Lionelion wrote: Finally beat it. Took awhile to find all those secret exits and whatnot, but i eventually got a 5 star profile!
Me too. I don't about you though but I cheated to get to 5 stars lol.

How'd you cheat?

Response to New Super Mario bros U thread. 2013-02-18 09:56:23

At 2/18/13 02:38 AM, Lionelion wrote: How'd you cheat?

YouTube

Response to New Super Mario bros U thread. 2013-06-11 17:38:35

New Super Luigi U trailer.

The downloadable game will sell for 20$ downloadable, or 30$ in box as a standalone disc.

It will be much harder, level timers all start at 100 seconds, and Nabbit is playable character who is invincible to attacks, but can not sue powerups.

Response to New Super Mario bros U thread. 2013-06-11 22:56:26

The first one was awesome. I'll definitely get this if I get a Wii U.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature