RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Album Cover Art Contest! 2012-10-19 21:07:51 Reply

Hey all, my new album Planet Pulse is coming out October 25th, and I'm running a contest for the DELUXE EDITION due out in February. Basically, create a cool album cover and you'll get your artwork as the deluxe album cover. I like making contests every once in a while to bring people together to make something creative.

Rules

1. It can NOT be explicit (ex. extreme bloody violence or nudity or profanity related).

2. If I like the artwork, I'll make it the deluxe edition album cover, and EVERY ART PIECE SUBMITTED WILL BE FEATURED IN A VIDEO! I'll make sure to mention your name to give you credit for the piece.

3. Deadline is January 15th, 2013 (the deadline was extended).

4. You'll win a free copy of the deluxe edition.

5. SUBMISSIONS ONLY! People kept sending me templates so I guess there was a misunderstanding. You're sending your submission. That means, newly made artwork you're making for this contest. You can submit AS MANY SUBMISSIONS AS YOU WANT! :) P.S.: It can be ANY form of art, including photography.

6. Try to make it themed around the mysteries of space or about the life of the music-obsessed alien community on Planet Pulse.

7. Submit your submissions here, or send it to my email at mondohenry@yahoo.com

Last time I made a contest was for the Necromancer Theme Remix Album(the original song I made that's in the game Castle Crashers), and had great results! I loved the creative remixes everyone made. Feel free to ask me any questions, I'll be happy to answer. Happy drawing!

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Album Cover Art Contest! 2012-10-19 21:11:59 Reply

P.S.: For inspiration, here's the album promo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsXfwfsI3Vo but let your own inspiration and creativity be your own, I want the art to be more complex than the original art. I think the single might inspire you some as well, it's pretty "spacey". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRKNZ5AXZAI

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Album Cover Art Contest! 2012-10-19 21:19:46 Reply

You'll probably get a lot more interest if you offer some sort of financial incentive. As far as I can tell, this is an album that you're selling, and artists generally don't like other people making money off of their work when they're getting nothing in return.

I mean, come on. It's only fair.

Please don't make the argument that it's 'exposure' for the artist. You know you're not famous enough for that.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Album Cover Art Contest! 2012-10-19 21:22:36 Reply

At 10/19/12 09:19 PM, Aigis wrote: You'll probably get a lot more interest if you offer some sort of financial incentive. As far as I can tell, this is an album that you're selling, and artists generally don't like other people making money off of their work when they're getting nothing in return.

I mean, come on. It's only fair.

Please don't make the argument that it's 'exposure' for the artist. You know you're not famous enough for that.

I know I'm not famous, but I'm doing everything I can. I hardly make enough money for myself as it is. I would offer money if I could afford it but I'm financially poor. I'm doing this to make everyone have a creative experience, that's what being a true artist is about. It's still a step forward for anyone.

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Album Cover Art Contest! 2012-10-19 22:06:24 Reply

At 10/19/12 09:22 PM, RealFaction wrote: I'm doing this to make everyone have a creative experience, that's what being a true artist is about.

You could maybe make that argument if you weren't making money from this album. If you can't pay an artist now, you could give them a cut of the album sales, since their art would help to sell it.

On the other hand, if you want to make all the money from the album, isn't it fair that you do all the work?

BBS Signature
HandsomeCat
HandsomeCat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Album Cover Art Contest! 2012-10-20 00:05:00 Reply

At 10/19/12 09:22 PM, RealFaction wrote: I'm doing this to make everyone have a creative experience, that's what being a true artist is about.

So you won't be selling the album, it will just be free to download and openly distributed?

BBS Signature
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Album Cover Art Contest! 2012-10-20 00:19:08 Reply

At 10/20/12 12:05 AM, HandsomeCat wrote:
So you won't be selling the album, it will just be free to download and openly distributed?

no i'll be selling the album, the artist getting their cut shouldn't have to be stated because they already will. It should be obvious. But I guess I should mention it then. They'll get a cut of the album, but as said im not famous, so thats why i said this is more for the creative experience for true artists.

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Album Cover Art Contest! 2012-10-20 00:40:42 Reply

At 10/20/12 12:19 AM, RealFaction wrote: the artist getting their cut shouldn't have to be stated because they already will. It should be obvious.

So what's the obvious cut that the artist will get? I mean, I know it's obvious, and shouldn't have to be stated, but could you post it for us slow people?

BBS Signature
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Album Cover Art Contest! 2012-10-20 01:05:06 Reply

At 10/20/12 12:40 AM, Aigis wrote:
At 10/20/12 12:19 AM, RealFaction wrote: the artist getting their cut shouldn't have to be stated because they already will. It should be obvious.
So what's the obvious cut that the artist will get? I mean, I know it's obvious, and shouldn't have to be stated, but could you post it for us slow people?

30% should be fair enough right?

Tomsan
Tomsan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Album Cover Art Contest! 2012-10-20 07:13:32 Reply

At 10/20/12 01:05 AM, RealFaction wrote:
At 10/20/12 12:40 AM, Aigis wrote:
30% should be fair enough right?

lol! thats a bit much it seems. youre still the main artist. No need to give one third to the cover designer.

I was working on something that fits your description a bit so I am in

God invented evolution 'cause he couldn't do it all by himself! Awesome Tees!

BBS Signature
Tomsan
Tomsan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Album Cover Art Contest! 2012-10-20 14:21:50 Reply

Actually i have a technical question. Whats supposed to be the size of the picture?

Does it need room for text? If yes whats the text gonna be?

You say no explicit nudity, but what about a "very dicrete penis"? Lol... thats what she said

BBS Signature
Tomsan
Tomsan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Album Cover Art Contest! 2012-10-21 07:38:44 Reply

At 10/20/12 02:21 PM, Tomsan wrote: Actually i have a technical question. Whats supposed to be the size of the picture?

You say no explicit nudity, but what about a "very dicrete penis"? Lol... thats what she said

this is what I got so far (not finished), maybe you can say what else you want in this. I listened to the song (pretty nice song) and tried to give it my interpretation. I wanted to give him a sword in his hand but I dont think thatll fit the picture. I thought about an instrument, but since the song isnt instrumental I am not sure.

the thing in the back is a star, not the sun.

I still think it needs 'something' but why not let the creator of the song contribute?

Album Cover Art Contest!

BBS Signature
Morthagg
Morthagg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Album Cover Art Contest! 2012-10-21 10:34:28 Reply

I think it's a bit pretentious and patronising to talk about how a 'true artist' wouldn't do this for the money. For a lot of people their art is their job, and they very often have to deal with the mindset that 'true art is for the creative experience, not the material gain', but artists have to eat too.
I mean, you could call yourself an artist as a musician, but you still want to make money from selling your albums. This isn't different.

Anyway, I really do hope you find someone to do a cool pic for your album cover. It's always difficult to start out, and it looks like you have Tomsan inspired :) Just be a little cautious with your wording next time.

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Album Cover Art Contest! 2012-10-21 16:35:22 Reply

At 10/21/12 07:38 AM, Tomsan wrote:
At 10/20/12 02:21 PM, Tomsan wrote: Actually i have a technical question. Whats supposed to be the size of the picture?

this is what I got so far (not finished), maybe you can say what else you want in this. I listened to the song (pretty nice song) and tried to give it my interpretation. I wanted to give him a sword in his hand but I dont think thatll fit the picture. I thought about an instrument, but since the song isnt instrumental I am not sure.

the thing in the back is a star, not the sun.

I still think it needs 'something' but why not let the creator of the song contribute?

Hahah awesome. Well I really shouldn't say anything about submissions until the contest is over, let your creative heart guide you :) I will say so far it looks cool, you got skills. As far as your other question goes, a discrete penis would be a no lol not explicit whatsoever, but what you have there follows the rules so far so you're good. Nice job!

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Album Cover Art Contest! 2012-10-21 16:38:13 Reply

At 10/21/12 10:34 AM, Morthagg wrote: I think it's a bit pretentious and patronising to talk about how a 'true artist' wouldn't do this for the money. For a lot of people their art is their job, and they very often have to deal with the mindset that 'true art is for the creative experience, not the material gain', but artists have to eat too.
I mean, you could call yourself an artist as a musician, but you still want to make money from selling your albums. This isn't different.

Anyway, I really do hope you find someone to do a cool pic for your album cover. It's always difficult to start out, and it looks like you have Tomsan inspired :) Just be a little cautious with your wording next time.

Hmm, you're probably right. I mean yes I would like to be paid for my music, but alas I hardly get money from it, so I just do it for fun and post it on Itunes for anyone who does want it, even spotify where it can be listened to for free. It would be nice to be paid for your passion I agree. It's just hard nowadays :(. But yes I'll pay the artist a cut of the profit, if I get any lol. You make a good point, and thanks, yeah tomsan is doing a good job so far.

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Album Cover Art Contest! 2012-10-21 16:44:38 Reply

ohhh right right....anyone reading all this be sure to make note! The size should be 1600 x 1600, can't believe I forgot to mention that x_x! Yes, try to make the text noticable from a distance, but not too big. It should say: RealFaction and then Planet Pulse: Deluxe Edition. If "Deluxe Edition" doesn't fit, then I guess you could put Planet Pulse and they'll know it's the deluxe edition by the store label.

johnnycancer
johnnycancer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to Album Cover Art Contest! 2012-10-21 19:58:21 Reply

At 10/21/12 07:38 AM, Tomsan wrote: I still think it needs 'something' but why not let the creator of the song contribute?

I have to say I really like this. It have an album cover "feel" to it, kind of like something I'd expect to see on a concept rock album from the late 70s.

At 10/21/12 04:38 PM, RealFaction wrote:

But yes I'll pay the artist a cut of the profit, if I get any lol.

I would just set a dollar amount to be paid for the work. I don't know what the budgetary constraints for this release are or what (if any) income you pull in from album sales, but say maybe $25 and a copy of the CD? I think, given the circumstances and the amount of work involved, that would be more than fair.

If you are dead set on making payment be a cut of the album sales, then I would set the percentage point way lower. Maybe 1 or 2 percent, definitely nothing over 5 percent. But, a cut of the sales is really only meaningful if you're anticipating a lot of sales, which it sounds like you're not (I can sympathize). For most people, I think having a concrete dollar amount is more enticement than a percentage of an ambiguous sales figure; it's hard to commit when you don't know exactly what you're getting in return.

That being said, I'm not sure why there seems to be all of this moral outrage directed at this particular thread. From what I can tell, the argument is basically, "If you're asking someone to do work for you, you should pay them. Artists have to eat and pay their rent too." Sure, okay, that's reasonable, I get that.

But, let's look at the NG Print Calendar 2013 thread for a minute and see what's going on there. The Newgrounds art community is being asked to contribute art that will be used both to promote Newgrounds and be sold here on Newgrounds.

So what do you get in return?

At 9/18/12 01:44 PM, TomFulp wrote: Each of the 12 winners will receive:
- A month of the calendar with his/her art featured
- A Calendar
- $25 Store Credit
- Stickers and junk!

That's not bad. I certainly wouldn't be complaining if I got a store credit and a calendar in the mail in exchange for art that I did.

In terms of offering incentive for people to participate, I think that's great. I don't think you could ask for much more to get people both excited and willing to participate in a contest.

But, looking at it from the perspective of "Artist's have to pay rent," let's be clear about something: Newgrounds is asking people to contribute art to something which they will sell and make money off of, but none of the contributors are being paid for their work.

Yes, there is the $25 store credit. But you can't buy food or pay your rent with a Newgrounds store credit.

Now granted, I would assume the profit margin is relatively small on the calendars and it's done more as a promotional / good will contest than anything else. But if we're going to hold RealFaction to the standard that "If you're selling your work then you're out to make a profit and should pay people who contribute" then I think it's reasonable to hold Newgrounds to the same standard.

I apologize for further derailng this thread.

BBS Signature
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Album Cover Art Contest! 2012-10-21 20:19:04 Reply

I applaud you for your post Mr. Cancer, I would have clicked reply but there was a lot to reply to xD. Perhaps you're right, but the thing about the set amount, as I said before, I'm quite poor, the money would accumulate overtime. Though it might be easier that way. I'm only trying to make people happy and to be more willing to participate, but I'm near broke to my pockets barely surviving with the job I have...it's tough. But, considering the fact it goes to January, I could set aside what I make a little at a time to set for the prize money. That would be fair yes, and a good idea.

Thank you for your insight :)

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Album Cover Art Contest! 2012-10-21 20:24:43 Reply

And with that being said, additionally, the winner gets $30. Hows that for a prize?

Saminat
Saminat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Voice Actor
Response to Album Cover Art Contest! 2012-10-21 23:28:51 Reply

Aright all you sexy people! Here's my entry for the slammin' Planet Pulse contest!

• Planet Pulse Deluxe
    Planet Pulse Deluxe by Saminat

This is my entry for Realfaction's cover art contest for his deluxe edition of his album "Planet Pulse". I think it came out ...

Score
    5.000000000 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

What do you guys think?

A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Album Cover Art Contest! 2012-10-21 23:44:16 Reply

At 10/21/12 11:28 PM, Saminat wrote: Aright all you sexy people! Here's my entry for the slammin' Planet Pulse contest!
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/saminat/planet-pulse-delu xe
What do you guys think?

Pretty good but honestly could use some adjustments, but thats all i can say but great work so far!

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Album Cover Art Contest! 2012-10-22 00:03:59 Reply

ah ok you adjusted it, good job :)

Saminat
Saminat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Voice Actor
Response to Album Cover Art Contest! 2012-10-22 00:05:34 Reply

At 10/22/12 12:03 AM, RealFaction wrote: ah ok you adjusted it, good job :)

I aim to please!

A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

Tomsan
Tomsan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Album Cover Art Contest! 2012-10-22 08:06:33 Reply

back on the mac again (sigh), still cant work on the mac. since the deadline is so far into the future, ill put this on hold.

Have to say that song grows on me, liking it more and more, though the text is a bit pretentious :)

btw if someone has a cool idea on what to put in his hand lemme know, I am back at a sword, but talking about pretentious...

Album Cover Art Contest!

BBS Signature
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Album Cover Art Contest! 2012-10-22 09:02:10 Reply

At 10/22/12 08:06 AM, Tomsan wrote: back on the mac again (sigh), still cant work on the mac. since the deadline is so far into the future, ill put this on hold.

Have to say that song grows on me, liking it more and more, though the text is a bit pretentious :)

btw if someone has a cool idea on what to put in his hand lemme know, I am back at a sword, but talking about pretentious...

which song exactly? lol and im sorry to hear that. But yeah man take your time with the piece, it looks great so far :)

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Album Cover Art Contest! 2012-10-23 22:28:39 Reply

On a side note, the album comes out thursday, and here's the track listing/preview video! The deluxe edition will come around February. http://youtu.be/sBu2tp1Yytg

dj-s-h
dj-s-h
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Album Cover Art Contest! 2012-10-24 15:24:47 Reply

At 10/22/12 08:06 AM, Tomsan wrote: back on the mac again (sigh), still cant work on the mac. since the deadline is so far into the future, ill put this on hold.

You guys know what pretentious is: Attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

The next question- how can something be pretentious if it is created by you? Have you stolen any material? Seriously stop using words that you do not understand.. Now that comment is a little pretentious by the fact that you don't know what the word pretentious is...

dj-s-h
dj-s-h
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Album Cover Art Contest! 2012-10-24 15:34:53 Reply

At 10/23/12 10:28 PM, RealFaction wrote: On a side note, the album comes out thursday, and here's the track listing/preview video! The deluxe edition will come around February. http://youtu.be/sBu2tp1Yytg

Hey man I have a q) How do you make a post and how do you find it again? I forget. I need an painter for this new film I'm working on. Any tips on makings these contests?

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Album Cover Art Contest! 2012-10-24 20:31:48 Reply

At 10/24/12 03:34 PM, dj-s-h wrote:
Hey man I have a q) How do you make a post and how do you find it again? I forget. I need an painter for this new film I'm working on. Any tips on makings these contests?

That is a bit tricky, usually i just type it in my address bar in Firefox, and it's there. However, if you remember any words in the title, on the top right is the Newgrounds search tool where you can type, and to the right is where you want to look (I.E. Forums, Movies, Games, etc.)

As for the contest, you want a solid foundation, make sure you think of everything, it depends on what kind. This one was a little shaky because i forgot the size requirements (1600x1600). Just make your rules clear and make sure to give credit of course, give them enough screen time to make it magical, and make sure you have someone good at what they do and is someone who doesn't feel entitled as a lot of people do. But also don't leave them empty handed, maybe give a little cash or offer a prize like a game or something if you have the money, I struggle with money constantly. Make SURE you let them know you'll give them the respect they should have as far as a human being because some film makers don't.

That's a mouthful but I am somewhat of a filmmaker myself (note not a great one or anything) and I know what the industry does to some people, but always be the honest non-cheating person. It'll attract more people that way. Good luck with your contest if you make one.

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Album Cover Art Contest! 2012-10-24 21:14:51 Reply

At 10/24/12 03:34 PM, dj-s-h wrote: Hey man I have a q) How do you make a post and how do you find it again?

you could use your post history to find it; accesible via your userpage>stats

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature