Be a Supporter!

Underrated Games

  • 1,261 Views
  • 28 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
stonecold-basilisk
stonecold-basilisk
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Underrated Games 2012-10-18 17:47:11 Reply

What video game do you think is the most underrated? It can be new or old.

I think the most underrated game is Kirby Air Ride. Most people seem to think that it sucks but I find that filling out the checklists with friends is fun. The game was ahead of its time. The challenges in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and the achievements in the Achievement Unlocked web series are probably inspired by the checklists in Kirby Air Ride so the game would probably have done better if it were released more recently.

Urban-Champion
Urban-Champion
  • Member since: Feb. 25, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Underrated Games 2012-10-18 18:32:46 Reply

Kirby Air Ride... I must opinion-ate my feelings toward this game.

I wouldn't say it's underrated. It's great for people who don't play video games a whole lot because of it's very simple mechanics but the game itself feels more rushed than anything, the graphics are colorful but feel less stylized and more lackluster than anything. Gameplay can be unbalanced at times. And I don't like games where you're forced to choose specific characters or cars or whatever simply because the other selections all suck and can't compare.

It's agreeable that it's saving grace is it's different modes of play; Top-Ride and Air-Ride mode are both enjoyable. City Trial can be a blast for some and a chore for others. But I'll get onto city trial later.

Both Top-Ride and Air-Ride are clearly the developers main focus. The selection of tracks in Top ride are just enough, each with their own uninspired name and environment to complement the simple mode of play. The arcadish-style of this mode and the sheer hectic nature of 4 racers in a cramped environment with powerups spawning left and right to attack the opposition truly allows it to stand on it's own, and it is a blast. Air-ride is a smidgen more complicated, however there are about the same number of tracks you can choose from. It's a slight let-down for me due to the limit in selection, however the actual racing mechanics are fairly straightforward, uncomplicated, and aren't anything to complain about. Fairly original idea and it's done well enough to be enjoyable.

City Trial is where the game has it's most promise but also it's most flaws. The hub world feels very small, not giving you a whole lot to roam around in. It gets very old quickly, especially if you focus on collecting and unlocking as much as you can. The unbalanced nature shows it's really ugly side here. There's practically no limit to how much you can power up your machine before an event, which can cause your machine to behave in undesirable or even uncontrollable manners. The events are what City Trial stands on, and there is a healthy variety of them in this mode (aside from all the races, if I wanted to play air ride mode I would select it), however since the events are completely random you will never know if you're effort was worth it or if it was a complete waste of time. This mode feels more like an afterthought. put in at the last minute. Either you completely love this mode or despise it with a passion.

It feels like it has It doesn't have much standing out for it other than it's easy (a trait of kirby games) and it's one of the 3 or 4 games for the cube that has LAN compatibility.

TheMajormel
TheMajormel
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Underrated Games 2012-10-18 20:14:29 Reply

faxanadu.

Game is really good, think LOZ 2: The adventures of link, except with a compelling storyline. In fact, LOZ 2 was the main reason why faxanadu is underrated. They both came out the same day.


BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Underrated Games 2012-10-18 20:51:44 Reply

Sonic Unleashed (Xbox360/ps3 versions only)


QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
XwaynecoltX
XwaynecoltX
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 52
Movie Buff
Response to Underrated Games 2012-10-18 21:19:43 Reply

the game

POXNORA

Has been a fave of mine for years but is still under rated, you people should check it out if you like dungeons and dragons, and magic the gathering mixed into one.

~X~


~X~ ~X~ ~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
POXNORA ??? A Very Unique game

BBS Signature
luigifan5555
luigifan5555
  • Member since: Mar. 17, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Underrated Games 2012-10-18 22:42:00 Reply

Sonic unleshed


Super Mario sunshine is dumb.

BBS Signature
Emlfuryoflion
Emlfuryoflion
  • Member since: Mar. 14, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Gamer
Response to Underrated Games 2012-10-18 23:05:28 Reply

Tales of Symphonia is very underrated. It deserves as much attention as any game for the greatest RPG game of all time.

DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Member since: May. 12, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Underrated Games 2012-10-19 22:41:09 Reply

Odin Sphere is a great game and flaunts its masterfully written characters and general storyline like no other game can. I grew most attached to Oswald and Gwendolyn, though. Their relationship humanizes both characters in the end, even if Oswald is a cold, somewhat emotionless jerk at first. Every character has significant growth and development, and this fact alone is the reason I stuck through it, even if I hated some of the characters' mechanics. The story is just THAT good. Every character develops in one way or another and feels human.

That's what separates Odin Sphere from every other JRPG out there. It doesn't hurt to have highly detailed sprites and GORGEOUS backgrounds, as well as absolutely outstanding animation. So yeah...I think best RPG of all time would have to go to Odin Sphere.


SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
OrgasmWoodChipper
OrgasmWoodChipper
  • Member since: Sep. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Underrated Games 2012-10-19 22:47:15 Reply

Messiah is a ridiculously underrated game, which upsets me cause I'd love to get a sequel or remake. You play as a little cherub angel sent by God to clean up the scum in a cyberpunk city. You are harmless in angel form but can jump in to any character's back to possess them and cause all sorts of havoc.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Underrated Games 2012-10-19 23:17:21 Reply

Heart of Darkness
Tomba!
Einhander
Mischief Makers
Muramasa: the Demon Blade


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Keith
Keith
  • Member since: Apr. 18, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Underrated Games 2012-10-20 00:56:01 Reply

Jamestown

weasleman
weasleman
  • Member since: Jan. 6, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 54
Blank Slate
Response to Underrated Games 2012-10-20 07:06:00 Reply

Invasion from beyond, sky odyssey, and kinetica.


my sig has fighters in it bitches

BBS Signature
Osyris
Osyris
  • Member since: Aug. 19, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Gamer
Response to Underrated Games 2012-10-20 12:44:28 Reply

At 10/18/12 08:51 PM, II2none wrote: Sonic Unleashed (Xbox360/ps3 versions only)

Not in the slightest dude. The night stages felt boring and gimmicky, and the day stages were just about going fast.


BBS Signature
iNvicta-Studios
iNvicta-Studios
  • Member since: Jun. 5, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Programmer
Response to Underrated Games 2012-10-20 16:45:36 Reply

The Neverhood

It's by the guy who created Earthworm Jim, and it was EXTREMELY overlooked. It did get a sequel on the Playstation, (kind of) but that's it.


Gamecenter ID: ALonelyWeeaboo
PSN: Lonely Weeaboo
XBL: noobasaurus253 Just mention you added me through Newgrounds

FutalRage
FutalRage
  • Member since: Oct. 7, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Gamer
Response to Underrated Games 2012-10-20 18:39:58 Reply

Dark Sector. Great story, well textured levels, decent but mildly predictable twists, a touch of SciFi, oh yeah and the ability to control, create, and beat the shit out of people with a "Glaive". Best 12 dollars I ever spent. A peart of me wishes I paid more

cloud7321
cloud7321
  • Member since: Jun. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Underrated Games 2012-11-03 00:36:57 Reply

i think luigi's mansion is under rated i know there making a 2nd one but the first needs more antension

ThePhantomGamer
ThePhantomGamer
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Underrated Games 2012-11-03 01:16:45 Reply

Eternal Darkness.


.

Kwing
Kwing
  • Member since: Jul. 24, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 45
Game Developer
Response to Underrated Games 2012-11-03 02:39:33 Reply

There are a lot of really underground games I have on my PSP that I absolutely love. Mercury Meltdown, Cladun, No Heroes Allowed, SOCOM Tactical Strike, Thrillville: Off the Rails...

However, those are mainly obscure. If we're talking about games that were really negatively received that I like, Nicktoons Unite was really good. The gameplay was above average, with pretty standard combat, but the stat system was really excellent. I loved how filling up bars partway increased stats while filling them up completely unlocked a passive trait.


If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.
Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Member since: Sep. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Underrated Games 2012-11-03 06:43:01 Reply

I would say Thief 2. Many people are aware of this game so it isn't completely ignored, but for one of the best examples of stealth gameplay to ever exist people really don't seem to know the name, this is especially true to game creators who continue to make shit stealth games without looking back to see how it is actually done.

At 11/3/12 01:16 AM, ThePhantomGamer wrote: Eternal Darkness.

Yea because no one ever goes on about that game.


When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Member since: Dec. 2, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to Underrated Games 2012-11-03 15:33:45 Reply

Halo


This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
scoutthesoldier
scoutthesoldier
  • Member since: Jul. 25, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Underrated Games 2012-11-03 16:31:10 Reply

At 11/3/12 03:33 PM, jjjkuk wrote: Halo

Yeah right, like that hasn't been receiving much attention over the years.


That Scout is a Soldier!

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Member since: Dec. 2, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to Underrated Games 2012-11-03 22:56:36 Reply

At 11/3/12 04:31 PM, scoutthesoldier wrote:
At 11/3/12 03:33 PM, jjjkuk wrote: Halo
Yeah right, like that hasn't been receiving much attention over the years.

Someone left their sarcasm-o-metre at home.


This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Member since: Jun. 2, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Underrated Games 2012-11-04 08:05:10 Reply

Empire earth 1 and Timesplitters

both the best games of its own genre


Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

Wunderbar
Wunderbar
  • Member since: Apr. 21, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Underrated Games 2012-11-04 08:19:28 Reply

digimon rumble arena 2, pure gold


 ­    ­    ­    ­   ­    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
 ­    ­    ­    ­   ­    ╰⋃╯私の腰は、自分自身で動いて­いる
­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­      ­ やりまん

BBS Signature
Neon-Bard
Neon-Bard
  • Member since: Aug. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Underrated Games 2012-11-05 10:03:44 Reply

I'm going to jump in and say Skies of Arcadia. Though I also think that Baten Kaitos Origins was pretty underrated as well.


If you have a moment, check out some of my work:
[Music here on Newgrounds] [Soundcloud]

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Writer
Response to Underrated Games 2012-11-05 14:21:27 Reply

Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen, Parasite Eve, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest.

sweet21
sweet21
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Artist
Response to Underrated Games 2012-11-05 17:15:06 Reply

Y'all shoult play double dragon neon.


I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
Entice
Entice
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Underrated Games 2012-11-05 17:54:22 Reply

Strife: Quest for the Sigil. It's one of the first RPG/FPS hybrids but it's not very well known now. Took me forever to track down a full copy with voices.

Elixur
Elixur
  • Member since: Aug. 7, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Underrated Games 2012-11-06 13:30:30 Reply

The Thief series

Fucking Nier


BBS Signature