Saminat
Saminat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Voice Actor
Response to HTML5 Games & Pumpkin Carving Oct. 20th, 2012 @ 11:33 PM Reply

At 10/20/12 10:44 PM, SpeedoSausage wrote: yo wheres my prize?

It's my penis. And yes, I make house calls :}

A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

Mr-Shark
Mr-Shark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to HTML5 Games & Pumpkin Carving Oct. 21st, 2012 @ 01:54 PM Reply

That's awesome, HTML 5 games are not working so great on my Windows Phone right now, very slow, but still cool. Is there anychance of having the audio portal revamped with HTML 5 so we can listen to it on the go? Maybe even create playlists too? :D

EthanAlways
EthanAlways
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Filmmaker
Response to HTML5 Games & Pumpkin Carving Oct. 21st, 2012 @ 04:19 PM Reply

Looks like I'll have to pick up a pumpkin some time soon then! Oh newgrounds, you're so fun. :)

Landpaddle
Landpaddle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to HTML5 Games & Pumpkin Carving Oct. 21st, 2012 @ 05:37 PM Reply

There's a good chance stubborn folks will be mass-downvoting HTML5 games simply because of the alternate format.

Kind of a shameful practice really, but a thought worth considering nevertheless when featuring them prominently. It's a new medium and will unfortunately take some time to develop fully. Still, I'm thankful for this progression and attempt to stay with the times on Tom's and the entire Newgrounds development team's part, and I am glad many forum users feel likewise about this change.

Well then. Onwards and upwards.

Mental Music for Thinkers and Doers

Swackman
Swackman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to HTML5 Games & Pumpkin Carving Oct. 21st, 2012 @ 08:28 PM Reply

I had considered trying out Construct some time back; nice to see NG supports it now!

Also, last I checked, it's free, so no need to worry about not having the money for Flash! But it's just for games, though.

TrueValhalla
TrueValhalla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Game Developer
Response to HTML5 Games & Pumpkin Carving Oct. 21st, 2012 @ 10:04 PM Reply

At 10/21/12 08:28 PM, Swackman wrote: I had considered trying out Construct some time back; nice to see NG supports it now!

Also, last I checked, it's free, so no need to worry about not having the money for Flash! But it's just for games, though.

Construct 2 has a free version and commercial versions. Another program I'd recommend for HTML5 game development is GameMaker: Studio.

BBS Signature
dooseyboy
dooseyboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Movie Buff
Response to HTML5 Games & Pumpkin Carving Oct. 21st, 2012 @ 11:30 PM Reply

At 10/18/12 03:08 PM, MrSoxfan wrote: Does that mean I can play Newgrounds game on my iPod now?

or even on xbox (now it has a browser), PSP and 3DS??!?!
coz that would be sweet as

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to HTML5 Games & Pumpkin Carving Oct. 22nd, 2012 @ 01:50 PM Reply

At 10/19/12 06:48 PM, S-K wrote: I wouldn't mind flash becoming a fossil piece of software like it's previous program 'director' if I felt there was worthy replacements and adobe were at least working their hardest on it... they seem to have gone a bit slacker imo =/

I'm still enjoying Flash 8 and I can't help but think there are people who may have become game developers who won't because their "perfect software" isn't out there. Before Flash I would animate with Deluxe Paint and program in PASCAL and I used to imagine "Why can't I just put some code right in there alongside my animations and make it all work together." Flash was the answer to that dream for me. But I'm still using Macromedia Flash. :P

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to HTML5 Games & Pumpkin Carving Oct. 22nd, 2012 @ 01:51 PM Reply

At 10/20/12 11:09 AM, Ericho wrote: It seems like there are just an infinite number of contests and programs we use to create games. There have been so many of them, I've simply lost track. I still always try to look at all the latest stuff we have in terms of categories. It's too bad it's a tad hard for me to even tell how it's different than the other stuff. I've played so many games here, I'm always looking for uniqueness.

I'm hoping we can reduce that anxiety as we support all the formats and build collections around the different development tools. Once it's all laid out, people can get a better feel about what works best and what is best for them.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to HTML5 Games & Pumpkin Carving Oct. 22nd, 2012 @ 01:53 PM Reply

At 10/21/12 01:54 PM, Mr-Shark wrote: That's awesome, HTML 5 games are not working so great on my Windows Phone right now, very slow, but still cool. Is there anychance of having the audio portal revamped with HTML 5 so we can listen to it on the go? Maybe even create playlists too? :D

You SHOULD be able to listen to the Audio Portal already on your phone, using the phones native audio player. We didn't make an HTML5 player since the native player would be most efficient anyway... Maybe the Windows Phone doesn't have something for that or we are doing something wrong on our end.

And playlists have been in the works, although that will be Flash only at launch... Will need to sort that out for non-Flash audio playing.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to HTML5 Games & Pumpkin Carving Oct. 22nd, 2012 @ 01:56 PM Reply

At 10/21/12 10:04 PM, TrueValhalla wrote: Construct 2 has a free version and commercial versions. Another program I'd recommend for HTML5 game development is GameMaker: Studio.

Trying to gather up some GameMaker guys to give their games a try on NG. There's actually an HTML5 version of Karoshi so I asked Jesse about uploading it under the existing project, to serve as an alternate file on devices that don't support SWF - we have the system set up for that as well, the same way we are gradually serving video files for existing SWF submissions when viewed on mobile / TV.

BBS Signature
DancingEngie
DancingEngie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Programmer
Response to HTML5 Games & Pumpkin Carving Oct. 22nd, 2012 @ 03:42 PM Reply

At 10/22/12 01:56 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 10/21/12 10:04 PM, TrueValhalla wrote: Construct 2 has a free version and commercial versions. Another program I'd recommend for HTML5 game development is GameMaker: Studio.
Trying to gather up some GameMaker guys to give their games a try on NG. There's actually an HTML5 version of Karoshi so I asked Jesse about uploading it under the existing project, to serve as an alternate file on devices that don't support SWF - we have the system set up for that as well, the same way we are gradually serving video files for existing SWF submissions when viewed on mobile / TV.

I actually have GM:Studio and used it since I was 9 (2008, from version 7) so that's the perfect chace to put these skills to the test. I also have Google's SWF to HTML5 converter, but it only supports up to very small 1MB files.

TrueValhalla
TrueValhalla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Game Developer
Response to HTML5 Games & Pumpkin Carving Oct. 23rd, 2012 @ 01:14 AM Reply

At 10/22/12 01:56 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Trying to gather up some GameMaker guys to give their games a try on NG.

Many GM users have been skeptical about HTML5 because the major gaming sites like Kon/NG have not supported it until recently. I'm sure you'll see a lot more GM games on NG when things pick up. I've actually applied for an invite myself, and I'm looking to be more active around here.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to HTML5 Games & Pumpkin Carving Oct. 23rd, 2012 @ 01:14 PM Reply

Here's a new submission that used GameMaker Studio:

• Pipe Drain
    Pipe Drain by Colbydude

Rework pipes to drain the toxic waste under the city!

Score
    2.28 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

I just played it on my iPhone and everything worked!

BBS Signature
ExtraLife
ExtraLife
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to HTML5 Games & Pumpkin Carving Oct. 24th, 2012 @ 12:26 AM Reply

At 10/23/12 01:14 PM, TomFulp wrote: Here's a new submission that used GameMaker Studio:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/604849
I just played it on my iPhone and everything worked!

Yes!

Now get that CSS3 animation portal going before anyone else does :3

http://stuffandnonsense.co.uk/content/demo/madmanimation/

ExtraLife
ExtraLife
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
magnatemba
magnatemba
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to HTML5 Games & Pumpkin Carving Nov. 29th, 2012 @ 01:08 PM Reply

Will we be able to use the same system to submit flash games that are served through an iframe? Perhaps the zip upload could basically just contain code for the iframe for the game?