iWFPSausage
iWFPSausage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Off days? Oct. 18th, 2012 @ 08:13 AM Reply

Hello everyone.

My question today: What gets you in the mood to put a good few hours of animating in?

Once in a while I find myself simply not wanting to do anything no matter how passionate I am about what I'm doing, by the end of the day I feel unaccomplished and annoyed at myself since this is supposed to be something that I want to do. Trouble is it's all to easy to say "I'll do it later"

Is there anything you do which pulls you out of a lazy mindset?

kmau
kmau
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to Off days? Oct. 18th, 2012 @ 08:57 AM Reply

No, just get over yourself. Once the program is opened and you have your pen in your hand it's all different. This is the case for me at least. The troublesome part is getting started, not the process.

BBS Signature
sandwich-eater
sandwich-eater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Programmer
Response to Off days? Oct. 18th, 2012 @ 10:26 AM Reply

Tbh, I find myself a lazy piece of shit. But when it counts I put the work in.

I've been on deadlines a bit (flash animation tournaments/competitions) and I generally end up going crazy in the last 2 days.

But if I have an idea I really like, then I'm pretty motivated to just do it. If you have good self-restraint you could just have no internet for a couple of hours so you can work on your animation.

But essentially, if you enjoy what you're doing, you'll have more luck in doing.

Keep in mind this is coming from someone who has a hard time staying on task. But I'm better at giving advice than taking my own, or anyone else's really. My advice is average at best anyway.

"Getting in the mood" is all up to the invididual. But if you set yourself goals then you're more likely to get stuff done.

BBS Signature
francisyfl
francisyfl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Art Lover
Response to Off days? Oct. 18th, 2012 @ 11:10 AM Reply

Dont repeat the same stuff, like, if you did something in a scene or a previous animation dont do it on another one or at least try to do it in another way, this is the problem i have with lip sync, cause it normally never changes but at least is good to try to make new faces or whatever. But hm, when you have something new to try you cant get bored or be like "ahhhh aagh i have to animate this thing but its so tedious" also if you want to practice stuff you can join collabs.

Animation is something that takes time and concentration and lots of patience its easy to get bored sometimes. Hm, if you have a deadline just do it man, you have the program and everything, just get to it.

PBass
PBass
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Animator
Response to Off days? Oct. 26th, 2012 @ 02:20 PM Reply

The curse of the lazy artist. The best thing to do is work when you DO NOT want to. Just force it.
It stinks and your work might be low par or slow in progress. But after a while you'll learn to enjoy it.

Once you get into the habit of things, and the habit of completing things, it begins to become addictive.
Then you start to worry about things like cutting into sleep, forgetting about eating, etc. etc.

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren

ExplosiveCake
ExplosiveCake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Animator
Response to Off days? Oct. 27th, 2012 @ 04:16 PM Reply

I am a big procrastinator, so I can't have Facebook, or YouTube, or NG minimized while working because I'll lose track of time and not get anything done. As for what motivates me? Really I go watch some cartoons like MLP, or Fosters, even Reg Show. I also watch some Eddsworld, or Botdiggedy, or any other animator. And then theres the handful of people that enjoy my work, one quick look at the comments and I wanna animate again.