New Topic Respond to this Topic
CaseyVenn
CaseyVenn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
24 Hour Jam Collaboration Oct. 17th, 2012 @ 10:10 PM Reply

It's Autumn now for a lot of us, and the leaves are falling and basses are dropping around the globe. So I had an idea: A "24 hour jam collaboration" in which a bunch of us independent musicians see what we can come up with in 24 hours. Then, once the pieces are done, they can be put into one awesome mix. It's probably been done a thousand times, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

Submissions can be any length, but nothing terribly long. I'd say around a minute and a half is good at most. If you can make two submissions in 24 hours, that's fine, I just want to avoid the mix losing energy by having several three minute tracks playing back to back. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but I hope you can get the gist of it.

The style is up to you. DnB, trance, techno, dubstep... Just try to give it some energy and it's all good.

Also, I should note that if this collaboration succeeds I want to post it on YouTube along with my tutorials and original compositions, so if you submit a piece you'll need to be aware of that.

As far as when the jam begins and when the deadline will be, that depends on how much interest people have in the idea. Let me know if you want in and we'll go from there.

So, thanks for reading, and I hope you guys will jump on board and make this thing happen.

~CV

WorldOutkast
WorldOutkast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to 24 Hour Jam Collaboration Oct. 18th, 2012 @ 12:56 AM Reply

Any specific entry criteria? I'm still a bit of a noob as far as mixing goes, but 24 hours is a hell of a long time.

CaseyVenn
CaseyVenn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to 24 Hour Jam Collaboration Oct. 18th, 2012 @ 02:11 AM Reply

At 10/18/12 12:56 AM, WorldOutkast wrote: Any specific entry criteria? I'm still a bit of a noob as far as mixing goes, but 24 hours is a hell of a long time.

No entry criteria, just try to be inspired and give it your best. Don't worry too much about mixing. I mean, try to make it sound good, but don't stress yourself out too much or you could easily spend the whole 24 hours just working on the mix. Besides, I'll give the whole collab a little bit of a work-over when I throw it all together.

~CV

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to 24 Hour Jam Collaboration Oct. 18th, 2012 @ 02:20 AM Reply

I'm interested. Will check back.

CaseyVenn
CaseyVenn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to 24 Hour Jam Collaboration Oct. 18th, 2012 @ 02:21 AM Reply

I probably should have mentioned this, and I hate double posting, but I want this to be more of an electronic music mix. I think it'd be great if you did an industrial track. In fact, I've been meaning to try my hand at more industrial sounds, so it'd be nice to hear what you come up with.

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to 24 Hour Jam Collaboration Oct. 18th, 2012 @ 02:37 AM Reply

At 10/18/12 02:21 AM, CaseyVenn wrote: I probably should have mentioned this, and I hate double posting, but I want this to be more of an electronic music mix. I think it'd be great if you did an industrial track. In fact, I've been meaning to try my hand at more industrial sounds, so it'd be nice to hear what you come up with.

Okay...that's not really much of a problem ('cept I don't really make industrial). Does the submission have to be in a certain key or tempo...?

CaseyVenn
CaseyVenn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to 24 Hour Jam Collaboration Oct. 18th, 2012 @ 03:07 AM Reply

At 10/18/12 02:37 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote:
At 10/18/12 02:21 AM, CaseyVenn wrote: I probably should have mentioned this, and I hate double posting, but I want this to be more of an electronic music mix. I think it'd be great if you did an industrial track. In fact, I've been meaning to try my hand at more industrial sounds, so it'd be nice to hear what you come up with.
Okay...that's not really much of a problem ('cept I don't really make industrial). Does the submission have to be in a certain key or tempo...?

Sorry, I should have specified. That last comment was for WorldOutkast, lol.

Well, I don't want to put too much of a creative limit on anyone, but how about a choice of three keys: G Minor, F Minor, or C Minor. That way we can have distinction, but we're not too far away since these three contain similar notes.

Tempo can be anywhere from 140 to 160.

Sound alright?

~CV

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to 24 Hour Jam Collaboration Oct. 18th, 2012 @ 03:29 AM Reply

At 10/18/12 03:07 AM, CaseyVenn wrote: Sorry, I should have specified. That last comment was for WorldOutkast, lol.

Well, I don't want to put too much of a creative limit on anyone, but how about a choice of three keys: G Minor, F Minor, or C Minor. That way we can have distinction, but we're not too far away since these three contain similar notes.

Tempo can be anywhere from 140 to 160.

Sound alright?

~CV

Alright, sounds alright to me. Now, to wait if there's anyone else interested.

WorldOutkast
WorldOutkast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to 24 Hour Jam Collaboration Oct. 18th, 2012 @ 05:08 AM Reply

Ah yeah, that was to be my other question, since I'm not much of an electronic musician, I guess I could try and lay down some EBM or something, but we'll see where inspiration takes me! Thanks :)

CaseyVenn
CaseyVenn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to 24 Hour Jam Collaboration Oct. 18th, 2012 @ 05:26 AM Reply

At 10/18/12 05:08 AM, WorldOutkast wrote:
Ah yeah, that was to be my other question, since I'm not much of an electronic musician, I guess I could try and lay down some EBM or something, but we'll see where inspiration takes me! Thanks :)

If you'd like, Outkast (if I may be so bold as to call you Outkast) I could make some beats and basslines for you to add your guitar work over. That's only if you don't feel confident in doing electronic production.

Also, I dunno if this would help, but I do tutorials in my spare time. Recording Guitar In FL Studio Tutorial. Not the greatest stuff, but maybe, just maybe it might help.

~CV

WorldOutkast
WorldOutkast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to 24 Hour Jam Collaboration Oct. 18th, 2012 @ 06:23 AM Reply

At 10/18/12 05:26 AM, CaseyVenn wrote: If you'd like, Outkast (if I may be so bold as to call you Outkast) I could make some beats and basslines for you to add your guitar work over. That's only if you don't feel confident in doing electronic production.

Also, I dunno if this would help, but I do tutorials in my spare time. Recording Guitar In FL Studio Tutorial. Not the greatest stuff, but maybe, just maybe it might help.

I'm pretty confident in using FL, but that could be a pretty good idea to keep the general theme of the mix sort of tied-in. Cheers for the link, I've been looking for a way to record guitar straight into FL, without having to go through to Cubase. :)

KKSlider60
KKSlider60
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to 24 Hour Jam Collaboration Oct. 18th, 2012 @ 06:30 AM Reply

Sign me in ^^

Any time limits, speaking of the single loop duration? Say, under a minute long?

CaseyVenn
CaseyVenn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to 24 Hour Jam Collaboration Oct. 18th, 2012 @ 07:01 AM Reply

At 10/18/12 06:23 AM, WorldOutkast wrote:
At 10/18/12 05:26 AM, CaseyVenn wrote: If you'd like, Outkast (if I may be so bold as to call you Outkast) I could make some beats and basslines for you to add your guitar work over. That's only if you don't feel confident in doing electronic production.

I'm pretty confident in using FL, but that could be a pretty good idea to keep the general theme of the mix sort of tied-in. Cheers for the link, I've been looking for a way to record guitar straight into FL, without having to go through to Cubase. :)

No problem, Outkast. I'm glad it could be of some help. Actually, how would you feel about doing some guitar work over a bit of dubstep? They call it djentstep, basically a combination of the two, and I've never done it before. I think it could be interesting, but it's really up to you, lol. You can still make another piece of your own if you'd like. Really, you just have to let me know what you want to do, don't feel obligated to listen to me. =P

KKSlider, I'd say about a minute / minute and a half at the very most. Chances are the collab will have to be split up here on Newgrounds, but I'm also posting this on my YouTube channel, which will be the full mix. With that in mind, you can submit more than one piece if you'd like, each one under a minute and a half. I basically want this to be an epic mix. Like a giant jam session put into a collaborative set.

I should also mention that the songs are actually going to be mixed, not just play one after another, so it would help greatly if anyone who participates in the collab puts an 8-bar drum pattern (just their drums) at the beginning of their track. That way I can better mix it all in.

Hopefully that's not too big an inconvenience, lol. I ask so much of you guys, I know.

~CV

KKSlider60
KKSlider60
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to 24 Hour Jam Collaboration Oct. 18th, 2012 @ 09:24 AM Reply

At 10/18/12 07:01 AM, CaseyVenn wrote: KKSlider, I'd say about a minute / minute and a half at the very most. Chances are the collab will have to be split up here on Newgrounds, but I'm also posting this on my YouTube channel, which will be the full mix. With that in mind, you can submit more than one piece if you'd like, each one under a minute and a half. I basically want this to be an epic mix. Like a giant jam session put into a collaborative set.

All right, thanks for the info. I'm making a fast-paced track at 170bpm in G and D minor.
Should we use the Project system for sharing our works/ideas easier and faster?

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to 24 Hour Jam Collaboration Oct. 18th, 2012 @ 10:42 AM Reply

But since everyone's doing different tempos, should we, like, make a tempo transition thing?

CaseyVenn
CaseyVenn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to 24 Hour Jam Collaboration Oct. 18th, 2012 @ 11:01 AM Reply

At 10/18/12 09:24 AM, KKSlider60 wrote:
At 10/18/12 07:01 AM, CaseyVenn wrote: KKSlider, I'd say about a minute / minute and a half at the very most. Chances are the collab will have to be split up here on Newgrounds, but I'm also posting this on my YouTube channel, which will be the full mix. With that in mind, you can submit more than one piece if you'd like, each one under a minute and a half. I basically want this to be an epic mix. Like a giant jam session put into a collaborative set.
All right, thanks for the info. I'm making a fast-paced track at 170bpm in G and D minor.
Should we use the Project system for sharing our works/ideas easier and faster?

KKSlider, we're still getting people together, but that's a good idea. I'll set up the Project in a bit. Instead of 170, try to keep it between 140 to 160. That's where we're gonna try to keep tempo at.

Yoshiii, I'll be able to handle tempo changes when I'm mixing the set at the end of the collab. Shouldn't be too big a deal, I don't think.

KKSlider60
KKSlider60
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to 24 Hour Jam Collaboration Oct. 18th, 2012 @ 11:43 AM Reply

At 10/18/12 11:01 AM, CaseyVenn wrote: KKSlider, we're still getting people together, but that's a good idea. I'll set up the Project in a bit. Instead of 170, try to keep it between 140 to 160. That's where we're gonna try to keep tempo at.

Oh allright, sounds good. 150bpm then, just to be safe.

LichLordMusic
LichLordMusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Musician
Response to 24 Hour Jam Collaboration Oct. 18th, 2012 @ 05:57 PM Reply

Sign me up, I'm definitely interested. I can gladly do Aggrotech/Harsh EBM or Black Metal if any of the two are acceptable?

| Music | News | Favorites | - Audio Destruction, Evolving One Track At A Time!

BBS Signature
johnfn
johnfn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to 24 Hour Jam Collaboration Oct. 18th, 2012 @ 07:07 PM Reply

I'm in! I write songs every day anyways, so this should hopefully be easy to fit into my schedule.

[6,11,4,10,2,10,-68,5,15,-68,16,4 ,1,-68,-2,1,15,16,-67].map(function(v){ return String.fromCharCode(v + 100) }).join(""); // updated for web 2.0!

BBS Signature
WorldOutkast
WorldOutkast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to 24 Hour Jam Collaboration Oct. 18th, 2012 @ 08:14 PM Reply

At 10/18/12 07:01 AM, CaseyVenn wrote: No problem, Outkast. I'm glad it could be of some help. Actually, how would you feel about doing some guitar work over a bit of dubstep? They call it djentstep, basically a combination of the two, and I've never done it before. I think it could be interesting, but it's really up to you, lol. You can still make another piece of your own if you'd like. Really, you just have to let me know what you want to do, don't feel obligated to listen to me. =P

Hey, I was thinking about this a while ago while listening to dubstep, how similar it would be to djent if translated into guitar. I've never played around with djent before, so this could be interesting :)

AetherX
AetherX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to 24 Hour Jam Collaboration Oct. 18th, 2012 @ 08:29 PM Reply

I'd be down, depending on when the 24 hours starts, specifically. Or is that up to us? Everyone else's responses kind of confuse me on that topic. I'm assuming you mean 24 hours straight, and we start at a predetermined point.

--NG Music -- Soundcloud--
Most Recent Song: Explore Infinity <-Failed audition to NGADM!

CaseyVenn
CaseyVenn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to 24 Hour Jam Collaboration Oct. 19th, 2012 @ 03:27 AM Reply

At 10/18/12 08:29 PM, AetherX wrote: I'd be down, depending on when the 24 hours starts, specifically. Or is that up to us? Everyone else's responses kind of confuse me on that topic. I'm assuming you mean 24 hours straight, and we start at a predetermined point.

@LichLord, I only ask that it has an electronic feel, so EBM is fine.

Welcome aboard, @Johnfn! Glad you could join us.

@Outkast, I'm excited to hear what you'll come up with.

@AetherX, Originally I wanted it to be that everyone works within the same time limit, so we'd all be working at the same time, but I think that would be too much hassle due to everyone's schedules being so different.

So the 24 hours can start whenever you want them to, just post to let us know when you are starting. Once the 24 hours are up, that's it. You'll render your file and then upload it to the project system. Just be sure that you don't go over the 24 hour mark or it'll defeat the purpose of the 24 hour jam and we can't accept it.

Make sure that you upload your final product as a .WAV file or an MP3 at 320 kbps!

That's very important, because the final mix will rely on the full quality tracks. Mixing together all those different pieces at different quality levels would throw the sound off. Also, make sure that if you're writing more than one track for the mix that you send in each part when it's finished, just in case you do accidentally go over the 24 hour mark you'll have at least one submission in.

So, whenever you're ready to begin your 24 hours, you post exactly when you are starting.

The deadline for the entire project will Monday, October 22nd, 2012. That means that you can't start a 24 hour period after 12:00 midnight Monday morning.

If anyone's confused, feel free to ask, because I know I've changed it up a bit. Hopefully it makes sense.

~CV

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to 24 Hour Jam Collaboration Oct. 20th, 2012 @ 05:01 AM Reply

i'm gonna start on my part now. right now it's 5 pm where I am (GMT +8), so yeah
sklfohue

CaseyVenn
CaseyVenn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to 24 Hour Jam Collaboration Oct. 20th, 2012 @ 10:09 AM Reply

Okay, awesome, Yoshiii. Your deadline is 5 pm tomorrow then. Good luck, my friend. Can't wait to hear what you can come up with.

At 10/20/12 05:01 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote: i'm gonna start on my part now. right now it's 5 pm where I am (GMT +8), so yeah
sklfohue
Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to 24 Hour Jam Collaboration Oct. 20th, 2012 @ 10:14 AM Reply

At 10/20/12 05:01 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote: i'm gonna start on my part now. right now it's 5 pm where I am (GMT +8), so yeah
sklfohue

Okay, update. Since I can't seem to upload the file to the Project System, I've went and uploaded it to my Dropbox, so Casey, check your PM for the link.

Finished in 5 hours wut loafpirhgirt

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to 24 Hour Jam Collaboration Oct. 20th, 2012 @ 10:15 AM Reply

At 10/20/12 10:09 AM, CaseyVenn wrote: Okay, awesome, Yoshiii. Your deadline is 5 pm tomorrow then. Good luck, my friend. Can't wait to hear what you can come up with.

sklfohue

What a coinky-dink.

AetherX
AetherX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to 24 Hour Jam Collaboration Oct. 20th, 2012 @ 11:49 PM Reply

I'm starting. It's about 8:45 PM where I'm at. Let's do this.

CaseyVenn
CaseyVenn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to 24 Hour Jam Collaboration Oct. 21st, 2012 @ 01:09 AM Reply

At 10/20/12 11:49 PM, AetherX wrote: I'm starting. It's about 8:45 PM where I'm at. Let's do this.

Sounds good, Aether. Deadline will be 8:45 PM tomorrow night, then. Good luck, and can't wait to hear it.

@Yoshiii, I got your track downloaded and ready to go in the mix. Thanks a bunch for participating.

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to 24 Hour Jam Collaboration Oct. 21st, 2012 @ 01:37 AM Reply

At 10/21/12 01:09 AM, CaseyVenn wrote: @Yoshiii, I got your track downloaded and ready to go in the mix. Thanks a bunch for participating.

d'aaaw stop it you're making me blush
Still, it was really fun. :)

AetherX
AetherX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to 24 Hour Jam Collaboration Oct. 21st, 2012 @ 09:44 PM Reply

Done! It's kind of fun forcing yourself to work. I'm not terribly pleased with the result, but it's better than I expected.

I uploaded my track to the project. Apparently the project manager doesn't accept WAVs, so if you want that I'll have to upload elsewhere. Can I upload it under my name as well or is this an exclusive thing?